Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible I Kingdoms (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Orthodox Bible I Kingdoms (LXX)

The Book of
    1 Kingdoms

Chapter 1

There was a man of Armathaim Sifa, of the mountain of Ephraim, and his name was Elkana, a son of Jeremeel the son of Eliou the son of Thoke, in Nasiv Ephraim. 2 And he had two wives; the name of the one Anna, and the name of the second Phennana; and Phennana had children, but Anna had no children. 3 And the man went up from days to days from his city, from Armathaim, to worship and sacrifice to the Lord God of Sabaoth at Selo: and there were Eli and his two sons Ophni and Phinees, the priests of the Lord. 4 And the day came, and Elkana sacrificed, and gave portions to his wife Phennana and her children. 5 And to Anna he gave one portion, because she had no children, for Elkana loved Anna more than the other; but the Lord closed her womb. 6 For the Lord gave her no children in her affliction and according to the despondency of her affliction; and she was disheartened because of this, that the Lord closed her womb so as not to give her children. 7 So she did year by year, in going up to the house of the Lord; and she was disheartened, and wept, and did not eat. 8 And Elkana her husband said to her, Anna: and she said to him, Here am I, my lord: and he said to her, What troubles thee that thou weeps? And why do thou not eat? And why does thy heart strike thee? Am I not better to thee than ten children? 9 And Anna rose up after they had eaten in Selo, and stood before the Lord: and Eli the priest was on a seat by the doorposts of the temple of the Lord. 10 And she was in great pain to her soul, and prayed to the Lord, and wept exceedingly. 11 And she vowed a vow to the Lord, saying, Adoni Lord Eloi of Sabaoth, if thou will indeed look upon the humiliation of thine handmaid, and remember me, and give to thine handmaid the seed of men, then will I indeed dedicate him before thee till the day of his death; and he shall drink no wine nor inebriating drink, and no iron razor shall come upon his head. 12 And it came to pass, while she was long praying before the Lord, that Eli the priest sealed her mouth. 13 And she was speaking in her heart, and her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: and Eli accounted her a drunken woman. 14 And the slave of Eli said to her, How long will thou be inebriated? Take away thy wine from thee, and go out from the face of the Lord. 15 And Anna answered and said, Nay, my lord, I am a woman with a hard day, and I have not drunk wine or inebriating drink, and I pour out my soul before the Lord. 16 Give not thy slave for a mischievous woman, for by reason of the abundance of my meditations I have stretched out my prayers until now. 17 And Eli answered and said to her, Go in peace: may the God of Israel give thee thy entire petition, which thou have asked of him. 18 And she said, Thine slave has found favor in thine eyes: and the woman went her way, and entered into her lodging, and ate and drank with her husband, and her countenance was no longer fallen. 19And they arose early in the morning, and worshipped the Lord, and they went their way: and Elkana went into his house at Armathaim, and knew his wife Anna; and the Lord remembered her, and she conceived. 20 And it came to pass in the season of days that she gave birth to a son, and called his name Samuel, and said, That from the Lord God of Sabaoth I did ask of Him. 21 And the man Elkana and his entire house went up to offer in Selo the yearly sacrifice, and his vows, and all the tithes of his land. 22 And Anna did not go up with him, for she said to her husband, I will not go up until the child goes up, when I have weaned him, and he shall be presented before the Lord, and he shall abide there for ages. 23 And Elkana her husband said to her, Do that which is good in thine eyes, abide until thou shall have weaned him; but may the Lord establish that which comes out of thy mouth: and the woman tarried, and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 24 And she went up with him to Selo with a calf in its third year, and loaves, and an ephah of fine flour, and a bottle of wine: and she entered into the house of the Lord in Selo, and the child with them. 25 And they brought him before the Lord; and his father killed his offering which he offered from year to year to the Lord; and he brought near the child, and killed the calf; and Anna the mother of the child brought him to Eli. 26 And she said, by me lord, thy soul shall live, I am the woman that stood in thy presence with thee while praying to the Lord. 27 For this child I prayed; and the Lord has given me my request that I asked of Him. 28 And I lend him to the Lord all his days that he lives, for a use by the Lord: and she said:

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 2

My heart is rooted in the Lord, my horn is raised high in my God; my mouth is enlarged over my enemies, I have rejoiced in thy salvation. 2 For there are none holy as the Lord, and there is no one righteous as our God; there is none holy besides Thee. 3 Do not boast, and do not speak of exalted things; do not let lofty words come out of your mouth, for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and God is preparing His practices. 4 The bow of the mighty has grown feeble, and the weak have girded themselves with power. 5 They that were full of bread loaves are made low; and the hungry have forsaken the land; for the barren has born seven, and she that abounded in children has grown feeble. 6 The Lord puts to death and makes alive; He leads them down into Hades, and leads them up. 7 The Lord makes poor, and makes rich; He brings low, and lifts up. 8 He rises up the poor from the earth, and raises the needy from the dung; to seat him with the mighty ones of the people, and causing them to inherit the throne of glory: 9 granting his petition to him that prays; and He blesses the years of the righteous, for by strength cannot man prevail. 10 The Lord will weaken his adversary; the Lord is holy. Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, nor let the mighty man boast in his strength, and let not the rich man boast in his wealth; but let him that boasts boast in this, to understand and know the Lord, and to execute judgment and justice in the midst of the earth. The Lord has gone up to the heavens, and has thundered: he will judge the extremities of the earth, and he gives strength to our kings, and will exalt the horn of His Christ. And she left him there before the Lord, 11 and they departed to Armathaim: and the child officiated before the face of the Lord before Eli the priest. 12 And the sons of Eli the priest were pestilential sons, not knowing the Lord. 13 And the priest’s legal claim from every one of the people that sacrificed was this: the servant of the priest came when the meat was boiling, and in his hand was a three-pronged meat-hook. 14 And he struck it into the great caldron, or into the brass vessel, or into the earthen pot, and whatever came up with the meat-hook, the priest took for himself: so they did to all Israel that came to sacrifice to the Lord in Selom. 15 And before the fat was burned for a sweet savor, the servant of the priest would come, and say to the man that sacrificed, Give meat to roast for the priest, and I will by no means take of thee boiled meat out of the caldron. 16 And if the man that sacrificed said, First let the fat be burned, as it is fit, and take for thyself of all things which thy soul desires: then he would say, Nay, for thou shall give it to me now; and if not I will take it by force. 17 And the sin of the young men was exceedingly great before the Lord, for they invalidated the sacrifice of the Lord. 18 And Samuel was officiating before the Lord, a child girded with a linen ephod. 19 And his mother made him a small double garment, and brought it to him from days to days, in her going up with her husband to sacrifice the sacrifice of the days. 20 And Eli blessed Elkana and his wife, saying The Lord recompense to thee seed from this woman, in return for the loan which thou have lent to the Lord: and the man went forth to his place. 21 And the Lord visited Anna, and she bore yet three sons, and two daughters. And the child Samuel grew before the Lord. 22 And Eli was very old, and he heard what his sons did to the sons of Israel. 23 And he said to them, Why do ye according to this thing, which I hear from the mouth of all the people of the Lord? 24 Nay my sons, for the hearing which I hear is not good; do not do so, for it is not good the hearing which I hear of the people not serving God. 25 If by sinning a man should sin against a man, then shall they pray for him to the Lord; but if a man sin against the Lord, who shall pray for him? But they hearkened not to the voice of their father, because the Lord would by all means utterly destroy them. 26 And the young man Samuel grew up, and was in good favor with God and with men. 27 And a man of God came to Eli, and said, Thus says the Lord, in revealing I reveal myself to the house of thy father, when they were slaves in Egypt to the house of Pharaoh. 28 And I chose the house of thy father out of all the tribes of Israel to officiate to Me in the priest’s office, to go up to My altar, and to burn incense, and to wear an ephod. And I gave to the house of thy father all the offerings by fire of the sons of Israel for food. 29 And wherefore have thou looked upon My incense offering and My sacrifice offering with a shameless eye, and have glorified thy sons above Me, so that they should bless themselves with the first-fruits of every sacrifice of Israel before Me? 30 For this, thus says the Lord God of Israel, I said, Thy house and the house of thy father shall pass before Me forever: and now the Lord says, That be far from Me; for I will only glorify them that glorify Me, and he that treats Me with contempt shall be despised. 31 Behold, the days come when I will destroy thy seed and the seed of the house of thy father. 32 And thou shall not have an old man in My house forever. 33 And if I do not destroy a man of thine from My altar, his eyes shall fail and his soul will flow down; and every one that remains in thy house shall fall by the broadsword of men. 34 And this which shall come upon thy two sons Ophni and Phinees shall be a sign to thee; in one day they shall both die. 35 And I will raise up to Myself a faithful priest, who shall do all that is in My heart and in My soul; and I will build Him a sure house, and he shall walk before My Christ forever. 36 And it shall come to pass that he that survives in thy house shall come to do obeisance before him for an obolus of silver *, saying, Cast me unto one of thy priest’s offices to eat bread.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “…and for a piece of bread”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 3

And the young man Samuel officiated to the Lord before Eli the priest: and the word of the Lord was precious in those days, because there was no vision for the giving of orders. 2 And it came to pass at that time that Eli was sleeping in his place; and his eyes began to be weighed down, and he was not able to see. 3 And the lamp of God was burning before it was trimmed, and Samuel slept in the temple, where the ark of God was. 4 And the Lord called, Samuel, Samuel; and he said, Behold, it is I. 5 And he ran to Eli, and said, behold, it is I, for thou did call me: and he said, I did not call thee; return to sleep; and he returned and slept. 6 And the Lord put forward again and called, Samuel, Samuel: and he went to Eli the second time, and said, Behold it is I, for thou did call me: and he said, I did not called thee; return and sleep. 7 And it was before Samuel knew the Lord, and before the word of the Lord was revealed to him. 8 And the Lord put forward again to call Samuel for the third time: and he arose and went to Eli, and said, Behold, it is I, for thou did call me: and Eli discerned that the Lord had called the young man. 9 And he said, Return, sleep child, and it shall come to pass if He shall call thee, that thou shall say, Speak for thy servant hears: and Samuel went and slept in his place. 10 And the Lord came, and stood, and called him as once before and once before thereof: and Samuel said, Speak, for thy servant hears. 11 And the Lord said to Samuel, Behold, I execute My words in Israel; so that whoever hears them, they shall sound in both of his ears. 12 In that day I will arise against Eli all the many things that I have said against his house; I will begin, and I will make an end. 13 And I have announced to him that I will punish his house forever for the iniquities of his sons, because his sons spoke evil against God, and he did not admonish them. 14 And it shall not be so; I have sworn to the house of Eli, the iniquity of the house of Eli shall not be atoned for with incense or sacrifices forever. 15 And Samuel slept till morning, and rose early in the morning, and opened the doors of the house of the Lord; and Samuel feared to tell the vision * to Eli. 16 And Eli said to Samuel, Samuel, my son; and he said, Behold, it is I. 17 And he said, What was the word being spoken to thee? I pray thee hide it not from me: may God do these things to thee, and add to it, if thou hide from me any thing of all the words that were spoken to thee in thine ears. 18 And Samuel reported all the words, and hid them not from him. And Eli said, He is the Lord that which is good before Him He will perform. 19 And Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him, and there did not fall one of his words to the ground. 20 And all Israel knew from Dan even to Bersabee, that Samuel was faithful as a prophet to the Lord. 21 And the Lord again manifested himself in Selom, for the Lord revealed himself to Samuel; and Samuel was trusted to become the prophet to the Lord in all Israel from one end of the land to the other: and Eli was a very old man, and his sons were going and kept on going, and their way was evil before the Lord.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “to Eli”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 4

And it came to pass in those days that the * Philistines did gather themselves together against Israel to war; and Israel went out to meet them and encamped at Abenezer, and the * Philistines encamped in Aphek. 2 And the * Philistines prepare for war against Israel, and the war was turned against them; and the men of Israel failed before the * Philistines, and there were struck in the battle, in the field, four thousand men. 3 And the people came into the encampment, and the elders of Israel said, Why has the Lord caused us to fail this day before the *Philistines? Let us take the Ark of our God out of Selom, and let it come forth from the midst of us, and it shall deliver us from the hand of our enemies. 4 And the people sent to Selom, and they take thence the Ark of the Lord who sits between the cherubs: and both the sons of Eli, Ophni and Phinees, were with the ark. 5 And it came to pass when the Ark of the Lord entered into the encampment that all Israel shouted out with a great voice and the earth resounded. 6 And the * Philistines heard the cry, and the * Philistines said, What is this great cry in the encampment of the Hebrews: and they understood that the Ark of the Lord had come into the encampment. 7 And the * Philistines feared, and said, These Gods have come to them into the encampment. 8 Woe to us, O Lord, deliver us today for such a thing has not happened yesterday and a third day: woe to us, who shall deliver us out of the hand of these mighty Gods? These are the Gods that struck Egypt with every plague, and in the wilderness. 9 Strengthen yourselves and become like men, ye * Philistines, that ye may not serve the Hebrews as they have served us, and you shall be men and wage war with them! 10 And they wage war with them; and every man of Israel failed, and each man fled to his tent; and there was an exceedingly great slaughter; and there fell of Israel thirty thousand of their ranks. 11 And the Ark of God was taken, and both the sons of Eli, Ophni, and Phinees, died. 12 And there ran a man of Benjamin out of the battle array, and he came to Selom on that day: and his clothes were rent, and earth was upon his head. 13 And he came, an behold, Eli was upon the seat by the gate watching the way, for his heart was filled with sorrow for the Ark of God: and the man entered into the city to bring tidings; and the city cried out. 14 And Eli heard the sound of the cry, and said, What is the sound of this cry? And the men hasted and went in, and reported to Eli. 15 Now Eli was a son of ninety years old, and his eyes rose up, and he saw not. 16 And Eli said to them that stood around him, What is the utterance of this sound? And the man hasted and advanced to Eli, and said to him, I am he that is come out of the encampment, and I have fled from the battle array today: and Heli said, What is the thing taking place my child? 17 And they young man answered and said, Every man of Israel fled from the face of the * Philistines, and there was a great slaughter among the people, and both thy sons have died *, and the Ark of God is taken. 18 And it came to pass, when he mentioned the Ark of God, that he fell from the seat backward near the gate, and his back was broken, and he died, for he was an old man and heavy: and he judged Israel twenty years. 19 And his daughter-in-law, the wife of Phinees, was with child, just about to give birth; and she heard the tidings, that the Ark of God was taken, and that her father-in-law and her husband had died; and she wept and gave birth, for her birth pains turned greatly upon her. 20 And in the time she was at the point of death; the women that stood by her, said to her, Fear not, for thou have born a son: but she answered not, and did not regard it in her heart. 21 And she called the boy * Woe of Varhavoth, because of the Ark of God, and because of her father-in-law, and because of her husband. 22 And they said, The glory of Israel has resettled far away from us, in the taking of the Ark of the Lord.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

* According to Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, Origen’s LXX recension adds: “Ophni, and Phinees”.

* Codex Vaticanus has these two words as one word and reads it as a name. It is translated as: “Ouaivarhavoth”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, citing Origen’s LXX recension and Lucian’s LXX recension, reads the last part of verse twenty-two as follows: “…in the taking of the Ark of God”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 5

And the * Philistines took the Ark of God, and carried it from Abenezer to Azoton. 2 And the * Philistines took the Ark of the Lord, and carried it into the house of Dagon, and set it by Dagon. 3 And the people of Azotioi arose early, and entered into the house of Dagon; and looked, and behold, Dagon had fallen on his face before the Ark of the God: and they raised Dagon, and placed him in his place. And the hand of the Lord was heavy upon the Azotians, and He plagued them, and He struck them in their buttocks, the Azotons and her boarders. 4 And it came to pass when they arose early in the morning, behold, Dagon had fallen on his face before the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord; and the head of Dagon and both the palms of his hands were cut off each in front of the threshold, and both the wrists of his hands had fallen on the floor of the entrance of the gate; only the spine of Dagon was left. On account of this none of the priests of Dagon, or do any who enter into the house of Dagon, tread upon the threshold of the house of Dagon in Azotou until this day. For by passing over they pass over it. 6 And the hand of the Lord was heavy upon Azoton, and he brought it against them, and it burst out against them in the ships, and mice arose in the midst of her country, and there came to pass a great confusion of death in the city. 7 And the men of Azotou saw that it was so, and they said, The Ark of the God of Israel shall not stay with us, for his hand is hard upon us and upon Dagon our god. 8 And they send and gather the * lords of the * Philistines to themselves, and say, What shall we do to the Ark of the God of Israel? And the Gethaie say, Let the Ark of God come over to us; and the Ark of the God of Israel came to Geth.
          9 And it came to pass after it passed through the ranks, that the hand of the Lord came * upon the city, a very great confusion; and He struck the men of the city small and great, and struck them in their buttocks: and the Gethaie made to themselves images of buttocks. 10 And they sent out the Ark of God to Askalona. And it came to pass as the Ark of God went into Askalona, that the Askalonitai cried out, saying, Why have ye brought back the Ark of the God of Israel to us, is it to cause our death and that of our people? 11 And they send and gather the * lords of the * Philistines, and they said, Send away the ark of the God of Israel, and let it lodge in its place; and let it not slay us and our people. 12 For there was a very great confusion in all the city, when the Ark of the God of Israel entered there; and those, who lived, and not dying, not were struck in the buttocks; and the cry of the city went up to heaven.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

* Literally: “Satraps”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “against”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 6

And the ark was seven months in the field of the * Philistines, and their land erupted with mice. 2 And the * Philistines called the priests, and their clairvoyants, and their enchanters, saying, What shall we do to the Ark of the Lord? Make known to us wherewith we shall send it away to its place. 3 And they said, If ye send away the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord God of Israel, do not on any account send it away empty, but by delivering it back, you give it back for the plague; and then shall ye be healed, and an atonement shall be made for you: should not His hand be removed from off you? 4 And they say, What for the plague shall we give for it? And they said, According to the number of the * lords of the * Philistines, five golden buttocks, for the plague was on you, and on your rulers, and on the people; 5 and golden mice, the likeness of the mice that corrupted your land: and ye shall give glory to the Lord, that He may lighten His hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land. 6 And why do ye make your hearts heavy, as Egypt and Pharaoh made their hearts heavy? Was it not so when he mocked them that they released them, and they departed? 7 And now, take and make a new wagon, and two cows that have given birth for the first time, without their calves; and do you yoke the cows to the wagon, and lead away the calves from behind them to the house. 8 And ye shall take the ark and put it on the wagon; and the items of gold ye shall deliver with it for the plague; and ye shall place them in a chest, at the side thereof: and ye shall let it go, and send it away, and it shall depart. 9 And ye shall see, if it shall go the way of its boarders along by Baithsamys, He has brought upon us this great calamity; and if not, then shall we know that His hand has not touched us, but this is a chance that has happened to us. 10 And the * Philistines did so; and they took two cows that had given birth for the first time, and yoked them to the wagon, and their calves they locked away at home. 11 And they set the Ark of the Lord, and as well as place the chest, and the mice of gold, on the wagon. 12 And the cows went straight on the way to the road of Baithsamys, they went along one track; and labored, and turned not aside to the right or to the left, and the * lords of the * Philistines went after it as far as the boarders of Baithsamys. 13 And the ones in Baithsamys were reaping the wheat harvest in the valley; and they lifted up their eyes, and saw the Ark of the Lord, and they rejoiced to meet it. 14 And the wagon entered into the field of Osee, which was in Baithsamys, and they erected there beside it a great stone; and they split the wood of the wagon, and offered up the cows for a whole burnt offering to the Lord. 15 And the Levites brought up the Ark of the Lord, and the place chest with it, and the golden items upon it, and placed them on the great stone, and the men of Baithsamys offered whole burnt offerings and sacrificed on that day to the Lord. 16 And the five * lords of the * Philistines saw, and returned to Askalona in that day. 17 And these are the buttocks of gold which the * Philistines gave for the plague to the Lord; for Azotou one, for Gazys one, for Askalonos one, for Geth one, for Akkaron one. 18 And the mice of gold according to the number of all the cities of the * Philistines, belonging to the five * lords, from the city being firmly fortified to the village of the Pherezaiou, and to the great stone, on which they placed the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord, * that was in the field of Osee the Baithsamysitou. 19 And the sons of Jehonias were not pleased with the men of Baithsamys, because they saw the Ark of the Lord; and the Lord struck among them seventy men, and fifty thousand men: and the people mourned, because the Lord had inflicted on the people, an exceedingly great plague. 20 And the men, the ones from Baithsamys, said, Who shall be able to go in the presence of the Lord, this holy God? And to whom shall the Ark of the Lord go up from us? 21 And they sent messengers to the inhabitants of Kariathiarim, saying, The * Philistines have returned the Ark of the Lord, go down and lead it up to yourselves.

* According to Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, Codex Alexandrinus and Origen’s LXX recension add the phase: “until this day”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 7

And the men of Kariathiarim came, and led up the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord: and brought it into the house of Aminadav on the hill; and Eleazar, his son, they sanctified to safeguard the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord. 2 And it came to pass from the day that the ark was in Kariathiarim, the days were multiplied, and it became twenty years; and the entire house of Israel looked after the Lord. 3 And Samuel said to the entire house of Israel, saying, If with your entire heart you turn to the Lord, remove the foreign gods from the midst of you, and the sacred groves, and prepare your hearts to the Lord, and serve him alone; and He shall deliver you from the hand of the * Philistines. 4 And the sons of Israel removed the Baalim and the sacred groves of Astaroth, and served the Lord alone. 5 And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Massephath, and I will pray for you to the Lord. 6 And they gathered together in Massephath, and drew water, and poured it out before the Lord upon the earth. And they fasted on that day, and said, We have sinned before the Lord. And Samuel adjudicated the sons of Israel in Massephath. 7 And the * Philistines heard that all the sons of Israel were gathered together in Massephath: and the * lords of the * Philistines went up against Israel: and the sons of Israel heard, and they became fearful from before the face of the * Philistines. 8 And the sons of Israel said to Samuel, Do not cease to cry before the Lord thy God for us, and He shall deliver us from out of the hand of the * Philistines. 9 And Samuel took one suckling lamb, and offered it up as a whole burnt offering with the entire people to the Lord: and Samuel cried to the Lord for Israel, and the Lord heard him. 10 And Samuel was offering the whole burnt offering; and the * Philistines drew near to make war against Israel; and the Lord thundered with a great voice in that day upon the * Philistines, and they were confounded and overthrown before Israel. 11 And the men of Israel went forth out of Massephath, and pursued the * Philistines, and struck at them below Baithhor. 12 And Samuel took a stone, and set it up between Massephath and that which is the old; and he called the name of it Abenezer, Stone of the Helper; and he said, Hitherto the Lord helped us. 13 And the Lord humbled the * Philistines, and they did not proceed any longer to come unto the border of Israel; and the hand of the Lord was against the * Philistines all the days of Samuel. 14 And the cities which the * Philistines took from the sons of Israel were returned; and they returned them to Israel * from Askalonos to Azov: and the boarder of Israel was removed from the hand of the * Philistines; and there was peace between Israel and the Amorraiou. 15 And Samuel adjudicated for Israel all the days of his life. 16 And he went year by year, and went around Bethel, and Galgala, and Massephath; and he adjudicated for Israel in all these consecrated places. 17 And he turned unto Armathaim, because there was his house; and from there he adjudicated for Israel, and built there an altar to the Lord.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “from Akkaron to Geth”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 8

And it came to pass when Samuel was old; that he placed his sons as judges over Israel. 2 And these are the names of his sons; the firstborn, Joel, and the name of the second Avia, judges in Bersabee. 3 And his sons did not walk in his way; and they turned aside after the contributions, and they took gifts, and turned aside judgments. 4 And the men of Israel gather themselves together, and came unto Armathaim to Samuel, 5 and they said to him, Behold, thou art grown old, and thy sons walk not in thy way; and now set over us a king to adjudicate for us, as also have the other nations. 6 And the thing was evil in the eyes of Samuel, when they said; Give us a king to adjudicate for us: and Samuel prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord said to Samuel, Hear the voice of the people, in whatever they shall say to thee; for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected Me from reigning over them. 8 According to all their actions which they have done to Me, from the day that I brought them out of Egypt until this day, and they have deserted me, and served other gods, so they do also to thee. 9 And now hearken to their voice; only that in testifying thou shall testify to them, and thou shall report to them the judgment of the king who shall reign over them. 10 And Samuel spoke every word of the Lord to the people who asked of him a king. 11 And he said, This shall be the judgment of the king that shall rule over you: he shall take your sons, and put them in his chariots, and among his horsemen, and they shall run before his chariots, 12 and to appoint them to himself commanders of hundreds and commanders of thousands; and to reap his harvest, and to gather his vintage of his gathering from the crops, and to make his instruments for war, and the implements of his chariots. 13 And he will take your daughters to be perfumers, and cooks, and bakers. 14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your good olive yards, and give them to his servants. 15 And he will take a tenth of your seed and your vineyards, and give them to his eunuchs, and to his servants. 16 And he will take your male slaves, and your female slaves, and your good herds and your mules, and will take a tenth of them for his works. 17 And he will take a tenth your flocks; and ye shall be his servants. 18 And ye shall cry out in that day before the face of your king whom ye have chosen to yourselves, and the Lord shall not hear you in those days, because ye have chosen to yourselves a king. 19 And the people would not hearken to Samuel; and they said to him, Nay, but there shall be a king over us. 20 And we will also be like all the nations; and our king shall adjudicate for us, and shall go out before us, and fight our wars. 21 And Samuel heard all the words of the people, and spoke them in the ears of the Lord. 22 And the Lord said to Samuel, Hearken to their voice, and let a king reign over them. And Samuel said to the men of Israel; Let each man run back to his city.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 9

And there was a man of the sons of Benjamin, and his name was Kis, the son of Aviel, the son of Jared, the son of Bahir, the son of Aphek, the son of a man of Benjamin, a man of strength. 2 And this one had a son, and his name was Saul, a man of great stature, a good man; and there was not among the sons of Israel any that were as good above him, high above all the land from above his shoulders and upward. 3 And the mules of Kis the father of Saul were lost; and Kis said to Saul his son, Take with thee one of the young men, and rise up, and go seek the mules. 4 And they went through Mount Ephraim, and they went through the land of Selha, and found them not: and they passed through the land of Segalim, and they were not there: and they passed through the land of Jamin, and found them not. 5 They then came into Sif, and Saul said to his young male slave that was with him, Come and let us return, lest my father leave the mules, and take care for us. 6 And the young male slave said to him, Behold indeed, there is a man of God in this city, and the man is honorable; all that he shall speak will surely come to pass: now then let us go, that he may tell us our way on which we have set out. 7 And Saul said to his young male slave that was with him, And behold, then, we will go; but what shall we bring the man of God? For the loaves are spent out of our vessels, and there is not much with us that belongs to us to bring to the man of God. 8 And the young male slave proceeded to answer Saul again, and said, Behold, there is found in my hand a fourth part of a shekel of silver; and thou shall give it to the man of God, and he shall tell us our way. 9 And before in Israel thus said every one in their going to enquire of God, Come and let us go to the seer; for the prophet was called by the people beforetime, The Seer. 10 And Saul said to his young male slave, Your word is true, come and let us go: and they went to the city where the man of God was. 11 As they went up the ascent to the city, they found the young women going out to draw water, and they did say to them, Is the seer here? 12 And the young women answered them, and they did say to them, Behold, he is before your face: * now he is coming to the city, because of the day, for today there shall be a sacrifice for the people in Bama. 13 As soon as ye shall go into the city, thus shall ye find him in the city, before he goes up to Bama to eat; for the people shall not eat until he comes in, for he blesses the sacrifice, and after these things the foreigners shall eat; and now go up, for on account of the day, ye shall find him. 14 And they went up to the city; and Behold, and as they were entering into the midst of the city, Samuel came out to meet them, to go up to Bama. 15 And the Lord uncovered the ear of Samuel the day before Saul came to him, saying, 16 At this time tomorrow I will send to thee a man from the land of Benjamin, and thou shall anoint him to be ruler over My people Israel, and he shall save My people out of the hand of the * Philistines; for I have looked upon the humiliation of My people, for their cry has come unto me. 17 And Samuel looked upon Saul, and the Lord answered him, Behold the man of whom I said to thee, This one shall rule over My people. 18 And Saul was brought near to Samuel into the midst of the city, and said, Tell me now of what house is the seer? 19 And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am he: go up before me to Bama, and eat with me today, and I will send thee away in the morning, and I will tell thee all that is in thine heart. 20 And concerning thine mules that have been lost today for three days, you should not put your heart out towards them, for they are found. And what are the wonderful things of Israel? Do they not belong to thee and to thy father’s house? 21 And Saul answered and said, Am I not a man, a son of a Benjamite, the smallest chiefdom of the tribe of Israel? And the tribe of the least of the whole chiefdom of Benjamin? And why have you spoken to me concerning this thing. 22 And Samuel took Saul and his young male slave, and brought them to the inn, and set them there a place among the first of those that were called, about seventy men. 23 And Samuel said to the cook, Give me the portion which I gave thee, which I told thee to set by thee. 24 Now the cook boiled the shoulder, and he placed it before Saul; and Samuel said to Saul, Behold the leftover: place it before thee, and eat! For it is placed before thee for a testimony in preference to the others; pull some of it off: and Saul ate with Samuel on that day. 25 And he went down from Bama into the city; and they spread carpets for Saul on the roof, and he went to bed. 26 And it came to pass as the morning arose, that Samuel called Saul on the roof; saying, Arise, and I will send you out. And Saul arose, and he and Samuel went forth outside. 27 As they went down to a part of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Speak to the young male slave, and let him go forth before us; and do thou stand as today, and hear the word of God.

* According to Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta the word “Hurry” or “Hasten” is added from Origen’s LXX recension and Lucian’s LXX recension .

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 10

And Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it on his head, and kissed him, and said to him, Has not the Lord anointed thee as a ruler over his people, over Israel? And thou shall rule among the people of the Lord, and thou shall deliver them out of the hand of their enemies * that are around them; 2 and this shall be the sign to thee that the Lord has anointed thee for a ruler over his inheritance. As soon as thou shall go forth this day from me, thou shall find two men by the burial-places of Rachel on the Mountain of Benjamin, exulting greatly; and they shall say to thee, The mules are found which ye went to seek; and, behold, thy father has given up the matter of the mules, and he is worried about you, saying, What should I do about my son? 3 And thou shall go forth from thence, and shall go beyond that as far as the Oak of Thavor, and thou shall find there three men going up to God to Bethel, one bearing three young goats, and another bearing three vessels of bread, and another bearing a leather bag of wine. 4 And they shall ask thee about the matter concerning your own tranquility, and they shall give thee two first fruits of bread, and thou shall receive them from out of their hand. 5 And afterward thou shall go unto the hill of God, where there is there the height of the * Philistines; there is Nasiv the * Philistine: an it shall come to pass when ye shall have entered into the city, that thou shall meet a band of prophets, dancing; coming down from out of Bama; and before them will be a harp, and a tambourine, and a pipe, and a lyre, and they will be prophesying. 6 And the Spirit of the Lord shall leap upon thee, and thou shall prophesy with them, and shall be turned into another man. 7 And it shall come to pass when these signs shall come upon thee, do thou whatsoever thy hand should find, because God is with thee. 8 And thou shall go down in front of Galgal, and behold, I come down to thee to offer a whole burnt offering and * sacrifice peace offerings: seven days shall thou wait until I shall come to thee, and I will make known to thee what thou shall do. 9 And it came to pass that when his shoulder turned to go forth from Samuel, God turned his heart to another; and all these signs came to pass in that day. 10 And he came from there to the hill, and behold; a band of prophets, dancing, opposite to him; and the Spirit of God leaped upon him, and he prophesied in the midst of them. 11 And it came to pass all the matters that were made known to him yesterday and three days ago, and he beheld, * and behold he was in the midst of the prophets: and the people each said to his neighbor, What is this that has happened to the son of Kis? Or is Saul also among the prophets? 12 And one of them answered and said, And who is his father? And therefore it became a proverb, Is Saul also among the prophets? 13 And he ceased prophesying, and came to the hill. 14 And a family member of his said to him and to his young male slave, Whither went ye? And they said, To seek the mules; and we saw that they were not to be found, and we went in to Samuel. 15 And his family member said to Saul, Tell me, I pray thee, What did Samuel say to thee? 16 And Saul said to his family member, he told by telling me that the mules were found. But of the matter of the kingdom he did not tell him. 17 And Samuel summoned all the people before the Lord to Massephath. 18 And he said to the sons of Israel, Thus said the Lord God of Israel, saying, I led the sons of Israel out of Egypt, and I rescued from the hand of Pharaoh King of Egypt, and out of all the kingdoms that afflicted you. 19 And ye have this day treated God with contempt, who is himself your Deliverer out of all your evils and your afflictions; and ye said, Nay, but thou shall set a king over us: and now stand before the Lord according to your chiefdoms, and according to your tribes. 20 And Samuel led forward all the chiefdoms of Israel, and the chiefdom of Benjamin was chosen by lot. 21 And he led forward the chiefdom of Benjamin by tribes, and the tribe of Mattari was chosen by lot: and they led forward the tribe of Mattari, by man, and Saul the son of Kis was chosen; and he sought him, and he was not found. 22 And Samuel asked yet again of the Lord, Does the man come here? And the Lord said, Behold, he is hiding in among the baggage items. 23 And he ran and took him from there, and placed him in the midst of the people; and he was high above all the people; by his shoulders and above. 24 And Samuel said to all the people, Have ye seen whom the Lord has chosen to himself, that there is none like unto him among all of you? And all the people acknowledged, and said, Long live the king! 25 And Samuel spoke to the people the ordinance of the king, and wrote it in a book, and placed it before the Lord: and Samuel sent away all the people, and each went forth unto his place. 26 And Saul departed unto his house in Gavaa; and there went with Saul the sons of power of whom the Lord touched their heart. 27 And the sons of pestilence said, Who is this man that shall save us? And they despised him, and did not bring him gifts.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “that are around them”.

* According to Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta Origen’s Hexapla reads: “…and to sacrifice sacrifices of peace offerings”.

* According to Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta Origen’s LXX recension and Lucian’s LXX recension read: “and behold he was in the midst of the prophets prophesying”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 11

And it came to pass about after a month that Naas the Ammanitis went up, and encamped against Jabis Galaad: and all the men of Jabis said to Naas the Ammanitis, Establish a covenant with us, and we will serve thee. 2 Naas the Ammanitis said to them, On these terms will I establish a covenant with you, in that you gouge out yourselves every right eye, and I will place a reproach upon Israel. 3 And the men of Jabis did say to him, Allow us seven days, and we will send messengers unto all the boarders of Israel: if there should be no one to deliver us, we will come out to you. 4 And the messengers went into Gavaa to Saul, and they spoke these words into the ears of the people; and all the people lifted up their voice, and wept. 5 And, behold, Saul came after the morning from out of the field: and Saul said, Why is it that the people weep? And they described to him the words of the men of Jabis. 6 And the Spirit of the Lord leapt upon Saul when he heard these words, and his anger was greatly kindled against them. 7 And he took two cows, and cut them in pieces, and sent them unto all the boarders of Israel by the hand of messengers, saying, Whosoever comes not forth after Saul and after Samuel, so shall they do to his cows: and a great ecstasy from the Lord came upon the people of Israel, and they cried out as one man. 8 And he numbered them at Aviezek in Bama, every man of Israel six hundred thousand, and the men of Judah seventy thousand. 9 And he said to the messengers that came, Thus shall ye say to the men of * Jabis, Tomorrow ye shall have deliverance when the sun is hot; and the messengers came into the city, and told the men of Jabis, and they rejoiced. 10 And the men of Jabis said to Naas the Ammanitin, Tomorrow we will come forth to you, and ye shall do to us what seems good before you. 11 And it came to pass after the morrow, that Saul put the people into three companies, and they entered into the midst of the encampment in the morning watch, and they struck the sons of Ammon until the day was hot; and it came to pass that those who were left behind were scattered, and there was not left behind among them that were two of them together. 12 And the people said to Samuel, Who has said that Saul shall not reign over us? Deliver up the men, and we will kill them. 13 And Saul said, No one shall die in this day, for today the Lord has wrought deliverance in Israel. 14 And Samuel spoke to the people, saying, We should go to Galgala, and there renew the kingdom. 15 And all the people went to Galgala, and Samuel anointed Saul there to be king before the Lord among the Galgalis, and there he sacrificed there sacrifice offerings and peace offerings before the Lord: and Samuel and all Israel rejoiced exceedingly.

* According to Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta Origen’s LXX recension reads: “Jabis Galaad”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 12

* And Samuel said to all Israel, Behold, I have hearkened to your voice in all and as many things that ye have said to me, and I have given a king to reign over you. 2 And now, behold, the king goes before you; and I am grown old and shall rest; and, behold, my sons are among you; and, behold; I have gone before you from my youth to this day. 3 Behold, I am here, answer against me before the Lord and before his anointed: whose calf have I taken? Or whose mule have I taken? Or whom of you have I oppressed? Or from whose hand have I taken an appeasement, and even a sandal? Bear witness against me, and I will make restitution to you. 4 And they said to Samuel, Thou have not wronged us, and thou have not oppressed us; and thou have not afflicted us, and thou have not taken from our hand any thing, not one. 5 And Samuel said to the people, The Lord is a witness among you, and is a witness to his * anointed one this day, that ye have not found anything in my hand: and they said, He is a witness. 6 And Samuel spoke to the people, saying, The Lord who appointed Moses and Aaron is a witness, who brought our fathers out of Egypt. 7 And now stand still, and I will judge you before the Lord; and I will relate to you all the righteousness of the Lord, the things which he has done among you and among your fathers. 8 As Jacob and his sons went into Egypt, and Egypt humbled them, then our fathers cried to the Lord, and the Lord sent Moses and Aaron; and He led our fathers out of Egypt, and settled them in this place. 9 And they forgot the Lord their God and He gave them into the hands of Sisara captain of the army of Jabis King of Asor, and into the hands of the * Philistines, and into the hands of the King of Moab; and he waged war with them. 10 And they cried to the Lord, and said, We have sinned, for we have forsaken the Lord, and have served Baalim and the sacred groves: and now deliver us out of the hand of our enemies, and we will serve thee. 11 And he sent Jerovaal, and Barak, and Jephthae, and Samuel, and delivered us out of the hand of our enemies, the ones all around, and ye lived in security. 12 And ye saw that Naas King of the sons of Ammon came against you, and ye said, Nay, none but a king shall reign over us; whereas the Lord our God is our king. 13 And now behold the king whom ye have chosen; and * behold, the Lord has set a king over you. 14 If ye should fear the Lord, and serve him, and hearken to his voice, and not resist the mouth of the Lord, and ye and your king that reigns over you should follow the Lord, well. 15 However, if ye should not hearken to the voice of the Lord, and ye should resist the mouth of the Lord, then shall the hand of the Lord be upon you and upon your king. 16 And now stand still, and see this great thing, which the Lord will do before your eyes. 17 Is it not the wheat harvest today? I will call upon the Lord, and He shall give thundering sounds and rain; and know ye and see, that your wickedness is great which ye have done before the Lord, having asked for yourselves a king. 18 And Samuel called upon the Lord, and the Lord sent thundering sounds and rain in that day; and all the people feared exceedingly the Lord and Samuel. 19 And all the people said to Samuel, Pray for thy servants to the Lord thy God, and let us not die; for we have added to all our sins this evil, in asking for ourselves a king. 20 And Samuel said to the people, Fear not: ye have indeed done all this evil; except ye should not turn aside from following after the Lord, and serve the Lord with all your heart. 21 And turn not aside after the gods that are nothing, who will do nothing, and will not deliver you, because they are nothing. 22 For the Lord will not cast off his people for His great name’s sake, because the Lord graciously took you to himself for a people. 23 And far be it from me to sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you: but I will serve the Lord, and show you the way that is good and straight. 24 Only fear the Lord, and serve him in truth and with all your heart, for ye see what great things he has done with you. 25 And if by evil ye should do evil, then shall ye and your king be added among your dead.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, citing to Codex Alexandrinus, reads: “And Samuel said to every man in Israel…”

* Literally: “Christ”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “whom ye have asked for…”

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 13

* Saul was like a one year old son in his reign; and he had reigned two years over Israel. 2 And Saul then chooses for himself three thousand men of the men of Israel: and there were with Saul two thousand, the ones in Mahmas, and in Mount Bethel, and a thousand were with Jonathan in Gabaa of Benjamin: and the rest of the people he sent out, each man unto his tent. 3 And Jonathan struck Nasiv the * Philistine the one who lived in the hill; and the * Philistines heard of it, and Saul sounded the trumpet through all the land, saying, The slaves disregard us. 4 And all Israel heard saying, Saul has struck Nasiv the * Philistine; now Israel had been put to shame by the * Philistines; and * the sons of Israel went up after Saul in Galgalis. 5 And the * Philistines did now gather together for war upon Israel; and they ascended upon Israel with thirty thousand chariots, and six thousand horsemen, and with people as many as the sand that is by the lip of the sea, for a multitude: and they come up, and encamped in Mahmas, opposite Bethoron to the south. 6 And the men of Israel saw that they were in a strait so as for them not to be able to lead forward to battle, and the people hid in caves, and in the lairs, and in the rocks, and in the ditches, and in the pits. 7 And the ones passing over passed over the Jordan into the land of Gad and Galaad: and Saul was still in Galgalis, and all the people were amazed after him. 8 And he stopped seven days according to the testimony, as Samuel said; and Samuel did not come unto Galgala, and his people were dispersed from him. 9 And Saul said, Lead forward animals, so that I may offer whole burnt offerings and peace offerings: and he offered the whole burnt offering. 10 And it came to pass when he had finished offering the whole burnt offering that Samuel arrived, and Saul went out to meet him, and to bless him. 11 And Samuel said, What have thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw how the people were scattered from me, and thou had not come as thou set in order for the testimony concerning the days, and the * Philistines were gathered together in Mahmas, 12 and I said, Now will the * Philistines come down to me to Galgala, and I have not sought the face of the Lord: and I took control myself and offered the whole burnt offering. 13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou have acted foolishly; for thou have not kept my command, which the Lord commanded thee, as now the Lord prepared thy kingdom over Israel unto the ages. 14 And now thy kingdom shall not stand with thee, and the Lord shall seek for himself a man according to His own heart; and the Lord shall appoint Him to be a ruler over His people, because thou have not kept as many of the commandments as the Lord gave charge to thee. 15 And Samuel arose, and departed from Galgala, * and went on his way, and the remnant of the people went up after Saul to meet him after the men of war; when they had come out of Galgala to Gabaa of Benjamin. And Saul numbered the people that were found with him, about six hundred men. 16 And Saul and Jonathan his son, and the people that were found with them, halted in Gabaa, of Benjamin; and they wept: and the * Philistines had encamped in Mahmas. 17 And men came forth to destroy out of the field of the * Philistines in three companies; the one company looking upon the way of Gophera on the land of Sogal, 18 and the one other company looking upon the way of Bethoron, and the one other company looking upon the way of Gabae, the one looking towards Gai of Sabim * of the wilderness. 19 And there was not found a blacksmith in all the land of Israel, for the * Philistines said, Lest the Hebrews make themselves a broadsword and spear. 20 And all Israel went down to the land of the * Philistines to forge each one his reaping hook and his tool, and each one his axe and his sickle. 21 And the gathering of crops was prepared to harvest: and their tools were valued at three shekels for the tooth, and there was the same rate for the axe and the sickle. 22 And it came to pass in the days of the war of Mahmas, that there was not a broadsword or spear found in the hand of all the people that were with Saul and Jonathan; but it was found with Saul and Jonathan his son. 23 And some went forth out from the support of the * Philistines that was on the other side of Mahmas.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, citing Origen’s LXX recension and Lucian’s LXX recension, adds this as the first verse of Chapter Thirteen. The meaning behind this verse is that Saul was good and innocent, like a one year old child, and for two years continued in that state of goodness and innocence.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, citing Origen’s LXX recension, reads: “the people”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “and went on his way”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, citing Origen’s LXX recension, adds: “of the wilderness”.

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 14

And when a certain day arrived, Jonathan the son of Saul said to the young man that bore his armor, Come, and let us go over to Messav of the * Philistines that is on the other side yonder; but he told not his father. 2 And Saul sat upon the edge of the hill under the pomegranate tree that is in Magdon, and there were with him about six hundred men. 3 And Ahia son of Ahitov, the brother of Johaved the son of Phinees, the son of Eli, who is a priest of God in Selom wearing an ephod. And the people see not that Jonathan was gone. 4 And in the midst of the ford whereby Jonathan sought to pass over to the settlement the * Philistines, * there was both a sharp tooth of rock on this side, and a sharp tooth of rock on this other side, its name was Bases, and the name of the other was Senna. 5 The one way from the north coming to Mahmas, and the other way from the south coming to Gabae. 6 And Jonathan said to the young man that bore his weapons, Come, let us go over to Messav of these of the uncircumcised, if it is willed that the Lord may do something for us; for the Lord is not restraining to deliver by many or by few. 7 And the one carrying his weapons said to him, Do all that thine heart inclines toward: behold, I am with thee, as thy heart is so my heart is. 8 And Jonathan said, Behold, we do go over to the men, and we will roll down upon them. 9 If they should say thus to us, Stand there until we shall send you word; then we will stand still by ourselves, and will not go up against them. 10 if they should say thus to us, Come up to us; then will we go up, for the Lord has delivered them into our hands; this shall be a sign to us. 11 And they both went unto Messav of the * Philistines; and the * Philistines did say, Behold, the Hebrews come forth out of their caves, where they had hidden therein. 12 And the men of Messav answered Jonathan and to the one carrying his weapons, and did say, Come up to us, and we will make known to you a certain thing: and Jonathan said to the one carrying his weapons, Come up after me, for the Lord has delivered them into the hands of Israel. 13 And Jonathan went up upon his hands and upon his feet, and the one carrying his weapons after him; and they looked on the face of Jonathan, and he struck them, and the one carrying his weapons did smite them after him. 14 And it came to be that the first scourge which Jonathan and the one carrying his weapons affected was on twenty men, with arrows and rock-slings, and pebbles of the field. 15 And there came to be ecstatic state of fear in the camp, and in the field; and all the people in Messav, and the ones being completely destroyed were startled; and they would not act, and the land was distraught, and there was an ecstatic state of fear because of the Lord. 16 And the watchmen of Saul beheld in Gabaa of Benjamin, and, behold, the camp was traumatized on this side and that side. 17 And Saul said to the people with him, Number yourselves now, and see who has gone out from you: and they numbered themselves, and behold, Jonathan and the one carrying his weapons were not found. 18 And Saul said to Ahia, Bring the ephod; * for he wore the ephod in that day before Israel. 19 And it came to pass as Saul spoke to the priest, that the sound in the camp of the * Philistines continued to increase greatly; and Saul said to the priest, Gather together thy hands. 20 And Saul went up and all the people that were with him, and they came unto the battle: and, behold, every man’s broadsword was upon his neighbor, there occurred a very great confusion. 21 And the servants who had been yesterday and the third day with the * Philistines, who had gone up to the camp, turned themselves also to be with Israel, who were with Saul and Jonathan. 22 And all * of Israel, who were hidden in Mount Ephraim, heard that the * Philistines fled; and they also gather themselves together to go after them to battle. 23 And the Lord delivered Israel in that day; and the war went through Bamoth; and all the people with Saul were about ten thousand men; and the battle extended itself into every city in the Mount Ephraim. 24 And Saul did not comprehend, through exceeding ignorance in that day, and he did curse the people, saying, Accursed is the man who shall eat bread until evening; so I will punish my enemy: and none of the people tasted bread, though all the land was dining. 25 And * Jaal was a grove of a swarm of bees on the face of the ground. 26 And the people went into the place of the bees, and, behold, they continued speaking; and, * behold, there was no one that turned his hand to his mouth, for the people feared the oath of the Lord. 27 And Jonathan had not heard when his father bound the people by oath; and he reached forth with the end of the staff that was in his hand, and dipped it into the honeycomb, and returned his hand to his mouth, and then looked up with his eyes. 28 And one of the people answered and said, Thy father bound the people by an oath, saying, Accursed is the man who shall eat bread this day. And the people were very faint, 29 and Jonathan knew it, and said, My father has destroyed the land: for behold, my eyes have received sight now that I have tasted a little of this honey. 30 Surely if the people had this day eaten in eating of the spoils of their enemies which they found, the slaughter among the * Philistines would have been greater. 31 And on that day he struck of the * Philistines in * Mahmas; and the people were exceedingly weary. 32 And the people turned to the spoil; and the people took flocks, and herds, and young ones of oxen, and slaughtered them on the ground, and the people ate them with the blood. 33 And it was reported to Saul, saying, The people have sinned against the Lord, eating with the blood: and Saul said, Out of Getthaim roll a great stone to me hear. 34 And Saul said, Disperse yourselves among the people, and tell them to bring hear every one his calf, and every one his sheep: and let them slaughter them upon this stone and sin not against the Lord in eating with the blood: and the people brought each one that which was in his hand, and they slaughtered them there.* 35 And Saul built an altar there to the Lord: in this Saul began to build an altar to the Lord. 36 And Saul said, Let us go down after the * Philistines this night, and tear them in pieces till the day break, and let us not leave behind a man among them. And they said, all that is good before you, you shall do: and the priest said, let us draw near here to God. 37 And Saul enquired of God, If I go down after the * Philistines, will thou deliver them into the hands of Israel? And he did not answer him in that day. 38 And Saul said, Bring here all the * corners of Israel, and know and behold by whom this sin has been committed this day. 39 For as the Lord lives who has delivered Israel, if the answer be against my son Jonathan, he shall die the death. And there was no one that answered out of all the people. 40 And he said to all the men of Israel, Ye shall become slaves, and I and Jonathan my son will become slaves if proven guilty: and the people said to Saul, Do that which is good before thee. 41 And Saul said, O Lord God of Israel, why have thou not answered thy servant this day? Is the iniquity in me, or in Jonathan my son? Lord God of Israel, give clear manifestations; and if Thee should declare this, give, I pray thee, to thy people of Israel, give, I pray, holiness. And Jonathan and Saul were chosen by lot, and the people were excused. 42 And Saul said, Cast the lot between me and between Jonathan my son: whomever the Lord should by lot, let him die: and the people said to Saul, This thing is not to be: and Saul held firmly against the people, and they cast lots between him and between Jonathan his son, and Jonathan was chosen by lot. 43 And Saul said to Jonathan, Tell me what thou have done: and Jonathan told him, and said, In tasting I tasted a little honey, with the end of my staff that was in my hand, and, behold! I shall now die. 44 And Saul said to him, God do so to me and more also, that I by death shall die this day. 45 And the people said to Saul, Shall he that has performed this great salvation in Israel * be put to death this day? As the Lord lives, there shall not fall to the ground a hair of his head; for the people of God have great performed this day. And the people prayed for Jonathan in that day, and he did not die. 46 And Saul went up from following the * Philistines; and the * Philistines went forth to their place. * 47 And Saul was chosen by lot to reign over Israel: and waged war all around with all his enemies, against Moab, and against the sons of Ammon, and against the sons of Edom, and against Betheor, and against the King of Suva, and against the * Philistines: wherever he turned, he was delivered by the Lord. 48 And he performed powerfully, and struck Amalek, and rescued Israel out of the hand of them that trampled on him. 49 And the sons of Saul were Jonathan, and Jessiou, and Melhisa: and the names of his two daughters, the name of the firstborn was Merov, and the name of the second was Melhol. 50 And the name of his wife was Ahinoom, the daughter of Ahimaa: and the name of his captain of the army was Avenner, the son of Ner, son of a member of the family of Saul. 51 And Kis was the father of Saul, and Ner, the father of Avenezer, who was son of Jamin, son of Aviel. 52 And the war was strong against the * Philistines all the days of Saul; and when Saul beheld any mighty man, and any man who was a son of power, that he gathered them to himself.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “there was both a sharp edge of rock on this side, and a sharp edge of rock on this other side”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “…for it was in the Ark of God in that day before Israel”.

* Origen’s LXX recension adds: “the men”.

* Grabe’s LXX and Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta read: “Jaar”. Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Jar”.

* Origen’s LXX recension and Lucian’s LXX recension omit: “behold”.

* Origen’s LXX recension and Lucian’s LXX recension read: “Mahemas”.

* Origen’s LXX recension reads: “…and the people brought each one that which was in his hand in the night, and they slaughtered them there”. Lucian’s LXX recension reads: “…and the people brought each one that which was in his hand, and they slaughtered them there in the night”.

* Figuratively: meaning: “Rulers”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “die the death this day”?

* Verse forty-seven in Codex Vaticanus reads slightly different as follows: “And Saul obtained the kingdom, chosen by lot, to reign over Israel…”

Comment

I Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 15

And Samuel said to Saul, The Lord sent me to anoint thee as king over Israel: and now hear the voice of the Lord. 2 Thus said the Lord of Sabaoth, Now will I take vengeance for what Amalek did to Israel, when he encountered him in the way as he was coming up out of Egypt. 3 And now go, and thou shall strike Amalek and Hierim and all that he has, and thou shall not save anything of his alive, but thou shall utterly destroy him: and thou shall anathematize him and all his to destruction, and thou shall spare nothing belonging to him; and thou shall kill from man and unto woman, and from infant unto suckling, and from calf unto sheep, and from camel unto donkey. 4 And Saul summoned the people, and he numbered them in Galgala, * four hundred thousand of the ranks, and Judah thirty thousand of the ranks. 5 And Saul came to the cities of Amalek, and laid wait in the rushing stream. 6 And Saul said to the Kinaion, Go, and depart out of the midst of the Amalekitou, lest I put thee with them; for thou dealt mercifully with the sons of Israel when they went up out of Egypt. So the Kinaios departed from the midst of Amalek. 7 And Saul struck Amalek from Evilat unto Sour, facing Egypt. 8 And he took Agag the King of Amalek alive, and he killed all the people and Hierim with the mouth of the broadsword. 9 And Saul and all the people saved Agag alive, and the best of the flocks, and of the herds, and of the fruits, of the vineyards, and of all the good things; and they would not destroy them: but every worthless and despised work they destroyed. 10 And the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, 11 I have been comforted that I have made Saul to reign as king: for he has turned away from following after Me, and has not heeded my words. And Samuel was grieved, and he cried out to the Lord the whole night. * 12 And Samuel rose early and went to meet Israel in the morning, and it was told to Saul, saying, Samuel has come to Carmel, and he has set up a hand for himself: and he turned his chariot, and came down to Galgala to Saul; and, behold, he was offering up a whole burnt offering to the Lord, the first of the spoils which he brought from Amalek. 13 And Samuel came to Saul: and Saul said to him, Blessed art thou of the Lord: I have established all that the Lord spoke. 14 And Samuel said, What is the voice of this flock in my ears, and the voice of the oxen which I hear? 15 And Saul said, From out of Amalek I have brought them, that which the people preserved, the very best of the flock, and of the cattle, that they might be sacrificed to the Lord thy God, and the rest I have utterly destroyed. 16 And Samuel said to Saul, Stay, and I will tell thee what the Lord has said to me this night: and he said to him, Speak. 17 And Samuel said to Saul, Art thou not small before him, a leader of a scepter of a tribe of Israel? And yet the Lord anointed thee as king over Israel. 18 And the Lord sent thee on a journey, and said to thee, Go, and utterly destroy those that sin against me, Amalek, and thou shall battle against them until thou have consumed them. 19 And why did thou not hearken to the voice of the Lord, but did rush to set upon the spoils, and do that which was evil before the Lord? 20 And Saul said to Samuel, Because I listened to the voice of the people: yet I went on the way by which the Lord sent me, and I brought Agag the King of Amalek, and I utterly destroyed Amalek; 21 and the people took of the spoils of the flocks and herds, the first of the things devoted for consumption, to sacrifice before the Lord our God in Galgalis. 22 And Samuel said, Does the Lord want whole burnt offerings and sacrifices, as opposed to harkening to the voice of the Lord? Behold, harkening is better than a good sacrifice, and hearkening over the fat of rams. 23 For sin is as an omen; and theraphin bring pain and grief. Because thou have rejected the word of the Lord, the Lord also shall reject thee from being king over Israel. 24 And Saul said to Samuel, I have sinned, in that I have transgressed the word of the Lord and what thy said; for I feared the people, and I hearkened to their voice. 25 And now surely take away my sin, and return with me, and I will do obeisance to the Lord thy God. 26 And Samuel said to Saul, I will not return with thee, for thou have rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord will reject thee from being king over Israel. 27 And Samuel turned away his face to depart, and Saul caught hold of the edge of his garment, and tore it. 28 And Samuel said to him, The Lord has torn thy kingdom from Israel from out of thy hand this day, and will give it to thy neighbor who is better than thou. 29 And Israel shall be divided in two: and God will not turn back or change his mind, for He is not as a man to change His mind. 30 And Saul said, I have sinned; yet glorify me, indeed, before the elders of Israel, and before my people; and return with me, and I will do obeisance to the Lord thy God. 31 And Samuel turned back after Saul, and he did obeisance to the Lord. 32 And Samuel said, Bring me Agag the King of Amalek: and Agag came forward to him trembling; and Agag said Is death thus bitter? 33 And Samuel said to Agag, As thy broadsword made women childless, so shall thy mother be made childless among women: and Samuel killed Agag before the Lord in Galgal. 34 And Samuel departed to Armathaim, and Saul went up to his house at Gabaa. 35 And Samuel did not see Saul again till the day of his death, for Samuel mourned over Saul, and the Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads verse twelve as follows:

“And Samuel rose early and went to meet Israel in the morning, and it was told to Samuel, saying, Saul has come to Carmel…”

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X