Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible, Genesis (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 16

Now Sara the wife of Abram bore him no children; and she had an Egyptian slave, whose name was Agar. 2 And Sara said to Abram, Behold, the Lord has restrained me from bearing; go therefore in to my slave that I may get children for myself through her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sara. 3 So Sara the wife of Abram having taken Agar the Egyptian her slave, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, gave her to Abram her husband as a wife to him. 4 And he went in to Agar, and she conceived, and saw that she was with child, and her mistress was dishonored before her. 5 And Sara said to Abram, I am injured by thee; I gave my slave into thy bosom, and when I saw that she was with child, I was dishonored before her. The Lord judge between thee and me. 6 And Abram said to Sara, Behold thy slave is in thy hands, use her, as it may seem good to thee. And Sara afflicted her, and she fled from her face. 7 And an angel of the Lord found her by the fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Sur. 8 And the angel of the Lord said to her, Agar, Sara's slave, whence comes thou, and whither go thou? And she said, I am fleeing from the face of my mistress Sara. 9 And the angel of the Lord said to her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands. 10 And the angel of the Lord said to her, I will surely multiply thy seed, and it shall not be numbered for multitude. 11 And the angel of the Lord said to her, Behold, thou art with child, and shall bear a son, and shall call his name Ishmael, for the Lord hath hearkened to thy humiliation. 12 He shall be a wild man, his hands against all, and the hands of all against him, and he shall live in the presence of all his brothers. 13 And she called the name of the Lord God who spoke to her, Thou art God who sees me; for she said, For I have openly seen him that appeared to me. 14 Therefore she called the well, The well of him whom I have openly seen; behold it is between Kades and Barad. 15 And Agar bore a son to Abram; and Abram called the name of his son, which Agar bore to him, Ishmael. 16 And Abram was eighty-six years old, when Agar bore Ishmael to Abram.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 17

And Abram was ninety-nine years old and the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, I am thy God, be well pleasing before Me, and be blameless. 2 And I will establish my covenant between Me, and between thee and I will multiply thee exceedingly. * 3 And Abram fell upon his face, and God spoke to him, saying, 4 And I, behold, My covenant is with thee, and thou shall be a father of a multitude of nations. 5 And thy name shall no more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham, for I have made thee a father of many nations. 6 And I will increase thee very exceedingly, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. * 7 And I will establish My covenant between thee and thy seed after thee, to their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be thy God, and of thy seed after thee. 8 And I will give to thee and to thy seed after thee the land wherein thou wandered, even all the land of Canaan for an everlasting possession, and I will be to them a God. 9 And God said to Abraham, Thou also should fully keep My covenant, thou and thy seed after thee for their generations. 10 And this covenant which thou shall fully keep between you and me and between thy seed after thee for their generations, every male of you shall be circumcised. 11 And ye shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and you. 12 And the newborn child of eight days shall be circumcised by you, every male throughout your generations, and born in the house and he that is bought with money, of every son of a stranger, who is not of thy seed. 13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with money shall be surely circumcised, and My covenant shall be on your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 14 And the uncircumcised male, who shall not be circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin on the eighth day, that soul shall be destroyed from its family, for he has broken My covenant. 15 And * God said to Abraham, Sara thy wife--her name shall not be called Sara, but Sarah shall be her name. 16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son of her, and I will bless him and he shall become nations, and kings of nations shall be of him. 17 And Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed; and spoke in his heart, saying, Shall there be a son to one who is a hundred years old, and shall Sarah who is ninety years old, bear? 18 Abraham said to God Let this Ishmael live before thee. 19 God said to Abraham, Yea behold, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son, and thou shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish my covenant with him, for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to him and to his seed after him. 20 And concerning Ishmael, behold, I have heard thee and, behold, I have blessed him, and will increase him and multiply him exceedingly; twelve nations shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But I will establish My covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to thee at this time, in the next year. 22 And be left off speaking with him, and God went up from Abraham. 23 And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all his home born slaves, and all those bought with money, and every male of the men in the house of Abraham, and he circumcised their foreskins in the time of that day according as God spoke to him. 24 And Abraham was ninety-nine years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 25 Ishmael his son was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 26 And at the period of that day, Abraham was circumcised, and Ishmael his son, 27 and all the men of his house, both those born in the house, and those bought with money of foreign nations, he circumcised them.

* The scripture reading in the Greek Menaion and Prophetologion for the reading of vespers for January is somewhat complex than what is present in the biblical text as published by the Apostoliki Diakonia and the Zoe Brotherhood. In particular, verse 3 is made to follow verse 7, and verse 3 reads: “And Abraham fell upon his face, and he worshipped the Lord.”

* The June vesper reading from the Greek Menaion and Prohetologion for Genesis Chapter Seventeen, verse fifteen reads: “The Lord God”.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 18

Now God appeared to him by the Oak of Mambre, as he sat by the door of his tent at noon. 2 And he lifted up his eyes and beheld and lo! Three men stood before him; and having seen them he ran to meet them from the door of his tent, and did obeisance to the ground. 3 And he said, Lord, if indeed I have found grace in thy sight, pass not by thy servant. 4 Let water now be brought, and let them wash your feet, and do ye refresh under the tree. 5 And I will bring bread, and ye shall eat, and after this ye shall depart on your journey, on account of which ye have turned aside to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said. 6 And Abraham hasted to the tent to Sarah, and said to her, Hasten, and knead three measures of fine flour, and make bread loaves baked in ashes. 7 And Abraham ran to the herd, and took a young calf, tender and good, and gave it to his slave, and he hasted to dress it. 8 And he took butter and milk, and the calf, which he had dressed and he set it before them, and they did eat, and he stood by them under the tree. 9 And he said to him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he answered and said, Behold, in the tent. 10 And he said, I will return and come to thee according to this period seasonably, and Sarah thy wife shall have a son; and Sarah heard at the door of the tent, being behind him. 11 And Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in days, and the custom of women ceased with Sarah. 12 And Sarah laughed in herself, saying, This thing has not as yet happened to me, even until now, and my lord is old. 13 And the * Lord said to Abraham, Why is it that Sarah has laughed in herself, saying, Shall I then truly bear? I am grown old. 14 Shall anything be impossible with God? At this time I will return to thee seasonably, and Sarah shall have a son. 15 But Sarah denied, saying, I did not laugh, for she was afraid. And he said to her, Nay, but thou did laugh. 16 And the men having risen up from thence looked towards Sodom and Gomorrah. And Abraham went with them, attending them on their journey. 17 And the Lord said Should I hide from Abraham My servant what things I intend to do? 18 Abraham shall become a great and populous nation, and in him shall all the nations of the earth be blessed. 19 For I know that he will order his sons, and his house after him, and they will keep the ways of the Lord, to do justice and judgment, that the Lord may bring upon Abraham all things whatever he has spoken to him. 20 And the Lord said, The cry of Sodom and Gomorrah has been increased towards me, and their sins are very great. 21 I will therefore go down and see, if they completely correspond with the cry, which comes to me, and if not, that I may know. 22 And the men having departed thence came to Sodom. Abraham was still standing before the Lord. 23 And Abraham drew near and said, Would thou destroy the righteous with the wicked and shall the righteous be as the wicked? 24 If there be fifty righteous in the city, will, thou destroy them? Will thou not spare the whole place for the sake of the fifty righteous, if they be in it? 25 By no means shall thou do as this thing so as to destroy the righteous with the wicked, so the righteous shall be as the wicked: by no means. Thou that judges the whole earth, shall thou not do right? 26 And the Lord said, If there should be in Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I would spare the whole city and the whole place for their sakes. 27 And Abraham answered and said; Now I have begun to speak to my Lord, and I am earth and ashes. 28 But if the fifty righteous should be diminished to forty-five, will thou destroy the whole city because of the five? And he said, I will not destroy it, if I should find there forty-five. 29 And he continued to speak to him still, and said, But if there should be found there forty? And he said, I will not destroy it for the forty's sake. 30 And he said, will there be anything Lord, if I speak? If there be found there thirty? And he said, I will not destroy it for the thirty's sake. 31 And he said, Since I am able to speak to the Lord, what if there should be found there twenty? And he said, I will not destroy it, if I should find there twenty. 32 And he said, Will there be anything, Lord, if I speak yet once more? If there should be found there ten? And he said, I will not destroy it for the ten's sake. 33 And the Lord departed when he left off speaking to Abraham, and Abraham returned to his place.

* The June vesper reading from the Greek Menaion and Prohetologion for Genesis Chapter Seventeen, verse fifteen reads: “the Lord God”.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 19

Now the two angels came to Sodom at evening. And Lot sat by the gate of Sodom, and Lot having seen them, rose up to meet them, and he worshipped with his face to the ground, and said, 2 Behold, lords, turn aside to the house of your servant, and rest from your journey, and wash your feet, and having risen early in the morning ye shall depart on your journey. And they said, Nay, but we will lodge in the street. 3 And he constrained them, and they turned aside to him, and they entered into his house, and he made a feast for them, and baked unleavened loaves for them, and they did eat. 4 However, before they went to sleep, the men of the city, the Sodomites, encircled the house, both young and old, all the people together. 5 And they called out Lot, and said to him, Where are the men that went in to thee this night? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them. 6 And Lot went out to them to the doorway, and he shut the door behind him. 7 And said to them, By no means, brothers, do not act wickedly. 8 I have two daughters, who have not known a man. I will bring them out to you, and do ye use them as it may please you, only do no injury to these men, to avoid this, which they came under the shelter of my roof. 9 And they said to him, Stand back there, thou came to live as a foreigner, was it also to judge? Now then we would harm thee more than them. And they pressed hard on the man, even Lot, and they drew near to break the door. 10 And the men stretched forth their hands and drew Lot in to them into the house, and shut the door of the house. 11 And they struck the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great, and they were wearied with seeking the door. 12 And the men said to Lot, Has thou here sons-in-law or sons or daughters, or if thou has any one else in the city, bring them out of this place. 13 For we are going to destroy this place; for their cry has been raised up before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it. 14 And Lot went out, and spoke to his sons-in-law who had married his daughters, and said, Rise up, and depart out of this place, for the Lord is about to destroy the city; but he seemed to be speaking absurdly before his sons-in-law. 15 But when it was morning, the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise and take thy wife, and thy two daughters whom thou have, and go forth; lest thou also be destroyed with the iniquities of the city. 16 And they were troubled, and the angels laid hold on his hand, and the hand of his wife, and the hands of his two daughters, in that the Lord spared him. 17 And it came to pass in the morning when they brought them out, that they said, Save thine own soul by all means; look not around to that which is behind, nor stay in all the country around, escape to the mountain, lest perhaps thou be overtaken. 18 And Lot said to them, I pray, Lord, 19 since thy servant has found mercy before thee, and thou has magnified thy righteousness, in what thou does towards me that my soul may live, but I shall not be able to escape to the mountain, lest perhaps the calamity overtake me and I die. 20 Behold, this city is near for me to escape thither, which is a small one, and there shall I be preserved, is it not little? And my soul shall live because of thee. 21 And he said to him, Behold, I have had respect to thee also about this thing that I should not overthrow the city about which thou hast spoken. 22 Hasten therefore to escape thither, for I shall not be able to do anything until thou art come thither; therefore he called the name of that city, Segor. 23 The sun was raised upon the earth, when Lot entered into Segor. 24 And the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. 25 And He destroyed these cities, and all the country around, and all that lived in the cities, and the plants of the ground. 26 And his wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. 27 And Abraham rose up early to go to the place, where he had stood before the Lord. 28 And he looked towards Sodom and Gomorrah, and towards the surrounding country, and saw, and behold a flame went up from the earth, as the smoke of a furnace. 29 And it came to pass that when God raised all the cities of the region around, God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the destruction, when the Lord destroyed these cities in which Lot lived. 30 And Lot went up out of Segor, and lived in the mountain, he and his two daughters with him, for he feared to live in Segor; and he lived in a cave, he and his two daughters with him.31 And the elder said to the younger, Our father is old, and there is no one on the earth who shall come in to us, as it is fit in all the earth. 32 Come and let us make our father drink wine, and let us sleep with him, and let us raise up seed from our father. 33 So they made their father drink wine that night, and the older daughter went in and lay with her father that night, and he knew nothing when he slept and when he rose up. 34 And it came to pass on the next day that the older daughter said to the younger daughter, Behold I slept last night with our father, let us make him drink wine in this night also and do thou go in and sleep with him and let us raise up seed of our father. 35 So they made their father drink wine in that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with her father, and he knew nothing when he slept, nor when he arose. 36 And the two daughters of Lot conceived by their father. 37 And the older daughter bore a son, and called his name Moab, saying, From my father. This is the father of the Moabites to this present day. 38 And the younger daughter also bore a son, and called his name Amman, saying, The son of my family. This is the father of the Ammanites to this present day.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 20

And Abraham traveled towards to the southern country, and lived between Kades and between Sur, and traveled in Gerara. 2 And Abraham said concerning Sarah his wife, She is my sister for he feared to say, She is my wife, lest at any time the men of the city should kill him for her sake. So Abimelek king of Gerara sent and took Sarah. 3 And God came to Abimelek by night in sleep, and said, Behold, thou will die for the woman, whom thou has taken, whereas she is married to a man. 4 But Abimelek had not touched her, and he said, Lord will thou destroy an ignorant and just nation? 5 Said he not to me, She is my sister, and said she not to me, He is my brother? With a pure heart and in the righteousness of my hands I did this. 6 And God said to him in sleep, Yea, I knew that thou did this with a pure heart, and I spared thee, so that thou should not sin against me, therefore I suffered thee not to touch her. 7 But now return the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and shall pray for thee, and thou shall live; but if thou restore her not, know that thou shall die and all thine. 8 And Abimelek rose in the morning, and called all his slaves, and he spoke all these things in their ears, and all the men feared exceedingly. 9 And Abimelek called Abraham and said to him, What is this that thou have done to us? Have we sinned against thee, that thou has brought upon me and upon my kingdom a great sin? Thou have done to me a deed, which no one ought to do. 10 And Abimelek said to Abraham, What have thou seen in that thou has done this? 11 And Abraham said, Why I said, Surely there is not the worship of God in this place, and they will slay me because of my wife. 12 For truly she is my sister by my father, but not by my mother, and she became my wife. 13 And it came to pass when God brought me forth out of the house of my father, that I said to her, This righteousness thou shall perform to me, in every place into which we may enter, say of me, He is my brother. 14 And Abimelek took a thousand pieces of silver, and sheep, and calves and male slaves, and female servants, and gave them to Abraham, and he returned him Sarah his wife. 15 And Abimelek said to Abraham, Behold, my land is before thee, dwell wherever it may please thee. 16 And to Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver, those shall be to thee for the price of thy countenance, and to all the women with thee, and speak the truth in all things. 17 And Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelek, and his wife, and his female slaves, and they bore children. 18 Because the Lord had quickly closed from without every womb in the house of Abimelek, because of Sarah, Abraham's wife.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 21

And the Lord visited Sarah, as He said, and the Lord did to Sarah, as he spoke. 2 And she conceived and bore to Abraham a son in old age, at the set time according as the Lord spoke to him. 3 And Abraham called the name of his son that was born to him whom Sarah bore to him, Isaac. 4 And Abraham circumcised Isaac on the eighth day, as * God commanded him. 5 And Abraham was a hundred years old when Isaac his son was born to him. 6 Sarah said, The Lord has made laughter for me, for whoever shall hear shall rejoice with me. 7 And she said, Who shall say to Abraham that Sarah suckles a child? For I have born a child in my old age. 8 And the child grew and was weaned, and Abraham made a great feast the day that his son Isaac was weaned. 9 And Sarah, having seen the son of Agar the Egyptian who was born to Abraham, playing with Isaac her son, 10 she said to Abraham, Cast out this female slave and her son, for the son of this female slave shall not inherit together with my son Isaac. 11 But the matter appeared very hard in the sight of Abraham concerning his son. 12 God said to Abraham, Let it not be hard in thy sight concerning the child, and concerning the female slave; in all things whatever Sarah shall say to thee hear her voice for in Isaac shall thy seed be named for thee. 13 And moreover I will make the son of this female slave a great nation, because he is thy seed. 14 And Abraham rose up in the morning and took bread loaves and a skin of water, and gave them to Agar, and he put the child on her shoulder, and sent her away, and she having departed wandered in the wilderness near the Well of the Oath. 15 And the water fell out of the skin, and she cast the child under a fir tree. 16 And after departing she sat down opposite him at a distance, as it were a bow-shot, for she said, Surely I cannot see the death of my child: and she sat opposite him, and the child cried aloud and wept. 17 And God heard the voice of the child from the place where he was, and an angel of God called to Agar out of heaven, and said to her, What is it, Agar? Fear not, for God has heard the voice of the child from the place where he is. 18 Rise up, and take the child, and hold him in thine hand, for I will make him a great nation. 19 And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of springing water; and she went and filled the skin with water, and gave the child drink. 20 And God was with the child. And he grew and lived in the wilderness, and became an archer. 21 And he lived in the wilderness of Pharan, and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt. 22 And it came to pass at that time that Abimelek spoke, and Ochozath his groomsman, and Phihol the commander-in-chief of his army, to Abraham, saying, God is with thee in all things, whatever thou may do. 23 Now therefore swear to me by God that thou will not injure me, or my seed, or my name, but according to the righteousness, which have performed with thee thou shall deal with me, and with the land in which thou has traveled. 24 And Abraham said, I will swear. 25 And Abraham reproved Abimelek because of the wells of water, which the slaves of Abimelek took away. 26 And Abimelek said to him, I know not who has done this thing to thee neither did thou tell it to me, neither heard I it but only today. 27 And Abraham took sheep and calves, and gave them to Abimelek, and both made a covenant. 28 And Abraham set seven ewe-lambs by themselves. 29 And Abimelek said to Abraham, Why are these seven ewe-lambs, of the sheepfold, that thou have set to stand alone? 30 And Abraham said, Thou shall receive the seven ewe-lambs of me, that they may be for me as a witness, that I dug this well. 31 Therefore he named the name of that place, The Well of the Oath, for there they both swore an oath. 32 And they made a covenant at the well of the oath. And there rose up Abimelek, Ochozath his groomsman, and Phihol the commander-in-chief of his army, and they returned to the land of the Philistines. 33 And Abraham planted a ploughed field at the Well of the Oath, and called there on the name of the Lord, the everlasting God. 34 And Abraham traveled in the land of the Philistines many days.

* The June vesper reading from the Greek Menaion and Prophetologion for Genesis Chapter Seventeen, verse fifteen reads: “the Lord God”.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 22

And it came to pass after these things that God tempted Abraham, and said to him, Abraham, Abraham; and he said, Behold! I am. 2 And he said, Take thy son, thy beloved whom thou have loved -- Isaac, and go into the high land, and offer him there for a whole burnt offering on one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. 3 And Abraham rose up in the morning and saddled his mule, and he took with him two slaves, and Isaac his son, and having split wood for a whole burnt offering, he arose and departed, and came to the place of which God spoke to him, on the third day. 4 and Abraham having looked up with his eyes, he saw the place afar off. 5 And Abraham said to his slaves, Sit ye here with the mule, and the child and I will proceed thus far, and having worshipped we will return to you. 6 And Abraham took the wood of the whole burnt offering, and laid it on Isaac his son, and he took into his hands both the fire and the knife, and the two went together. 7 And Isaac said to Abraham his father, Father. He said, What is it, son? And he said, Behold the fire and the wood, where is the sheep for a whole burnt offering? 8 Abraham said, God will provide himself a sheep for a whole burnt offering, my child. And both having walked on together, 9 came to the place which God spoke of to him and there Abraham built the altar and laid the wood on it, and having bound the feet of Isaac his son together, he laid him on the altar upon the wood. 10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand to take the knife to kill his son. 11 And an angel of the Lord called to him out of heaven, and said Abraham, Abraham. And he said, Behold, I am. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the child, neither do anything to him, for now I know that thou fears God, and for My sake thou has not spared thy beloved son. 13 And Abraham looked up with his eyes and beheld, and lo! A ram caught by his horns in a plant of Sabek; and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a whole burnt offering in the place of Isaac his son. 14 And Abraham called the name of that place, The Lord Hath Seen; that they might say today; on the mountain the Lord was seen. 15 And an angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, saying, 16 I have sworn by myself, says the Lord, because thou has done this thing, and on my account has not spared thy beloved son, 17 surely blessings I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand which is by the shore of the sea, and thy seed shall inherit the cities of their enemies. 18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because thou have hearkened to my voice. 19 Abraham returned to his slaves, and when they arose they went together to the Well of the Oath. And Abraham lived at the Well of the Oath.
                20 And it came to pass after these things, that it was reported to Abraham, saying, Behold, Melha herself too has born sons to Nahor thy brother, 21 Uz the firstborn, and Baux his brother, and Kamuel the father of the Syrians, 22 and Hazad, and Azav and Phaldes, and Jeldaph, and Bathuel, 23 Bathuel begot Rebecca; these are eight sons, which Melha bore to Nahor the brother of Abraham. 24 And his concubine whose name was Rheuma, she also bore Tabek and Taam, and Tohos, and Moha.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 23

And the life of Sarah was an hundred and twenty-seven years. 2 And Sarah died in the city of Arbok, which is in the valley, (this is Hebron) in the land of Canaan. Abraham came to lament for Sarah and to mourn. 3 And Abraham stood up from before his dead; and Abraham spoke to the sons of Het, saying, 4 I am a traveler and a stranger among you, give me therefore possession of a burial place among you, and I will bury my dead away from me. 5 And the sons of Het answered to Abraham, saying, Not so, lord, 6 but hear us; thou art in the midst of us a king from God; bury thy dead in our choice sepulchers, for not one of us will by any means withhold his sepulcher from thee, so that thou should not bury thy dead there. 7 And Abraham rose up and did obeisance to the people of the land, to the sons of Het. 8 And Abraham spoke to them, saying, If ye have it in your soul that I should bury my dead far from my presence, hearken to me, and speak for me to Ephron the son of Saar. 9 And let him give me the double cave which he has, which is in a part of his field, let him give it to me for the money it is worth for possession of a burial place among you. 10 Now Ephron was sitting in the midst of the sons of Het, and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham and spoke in the hearing of the sons of Het, and of all who entered the city, saying, 11 Attend to me, my lord, and hear me, I give to thee the field and the cave which is in it; I have given it to thee before all my countrymen; bury thy dead. 12 And Abraham did obeisance before the people of the land. 13 And he said to Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, Since thou art in my presence, hear me, take the price of the field from me, and I will bury my dead there. 14 But Ephron answered Abraham, saying, 15 Nay, my lord, I have heard indeed, the land is worth four hundred silver didrachms, but what can this be between me and thee? Nay, do thou bury thy dead. 16 And Abraham hearkened to Ephron, and Abraham rendered to Ephron the money, which he mentioned in the ears of the sons of Het, four hundred didrachms of silver approved with merchants. 17 And the field of Ephron, which was at the Double Cave, which is opposite Mambre, the field and the cave, which was in it, and every tree which was in the field, and whatever is in its borders around, were made sure 18 to Abraham for a possession, before the sons of Het, and all that entered into the city. 19 After this Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the Double Cave of the field, which is opposite Mambre, (this is Hebron) in the land of Canaan. 20 So the field and the cave, which was in it, were made sure to Abraham for possession of a burial place, by the sons of Het.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 24

And Abraham was old, advanced in days; and the Lord blessed Abraham in all things. 2 And Abraham said to his slave, the elder of his house, who had rule over all his possessions, Put thy hand under my thigh, 3 and I will adjure thee by the Lord the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou take not a wife for my son Isaac from the daughters of the Canaanites, with whom I live, in the midst of them. 4 But thou shall go to my country where I was born, and to my tribe, and thou shall take from thence a wife for my son Isaac. 5 And the slave said to him, Should I carry back thy son to the land whence thou came forth, if happily the woman should not be willing to return with me to this land? 6 Abraham said to him, Take heed to thyself that thou carry not my son back thither. 7 The Lord God of heaven, and the God of the earth, who took me out of my father's house, and out of the land whence I was born, who spoke to me, and who swore to me, saying, I will give this land to thee and to thy seed, he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shall take a wife to my son from thence. 8 And if the woman should not be willing to come with thee into this land, thou shall be cleared from my oath, only carry not my son thither again. 9 And the slave put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham, and swore to him concerning this matter. 10 And the servant took ten camels of his lord’s camels, and of all the goods of his lord with him, and he arose and went into Mesopotamia to the city of Nahor. 11 And he allowed the camels to sleep outside the city by the well of water towards evening, when the maidens who draw water go out. 12 And he said, O Lord God of my lord Abraham, prosper my way before me today, and deal mercifully with my lord Abraham. 13 Behold, I stand by the well of water, and the daughters of them that inhabit the city come out to draw water. 14 And it shall be, the virgin to whomever I shall say, Incline thy water-pot, that I may drink, and she shall say, Drink thou, and I will give thy camels drink, until they shall have done drinking -- even this one thou has prepared for thy servant Isaac, and hereby shall I know that thou has dealt mercifully with my lord Abraham. 15 And it came to pass before he had done speaking in his mind, that behold, Rebecca the daughter of Bathuel, the son of Melha, the wife of Nahor, and the brother of Abraham came out, having a water-pot on her shoulders. 16 And the virgin was very beautiful in appearance, she was a virgin, a man had not known her; and she went down to the well, and filled her water-pot, and came up. 17 And the slave ran up to meet her, and said, Give me a little water to drink out of thy pitcher. 18 and she said, Drink, lord; and she hasted, and let down the pitcher upon her arm, and gave him to drink, till he ceased drinking. 19 And she said, I will also draw water for thy camels, till they shall all have drunk. 20 And she hasted, and emptied the water-pot into the trough, and ran to the well to draw again, and drew water for all the camels. 21 And the man took great notice of her, and remained silent to know whether the Lord had made his way prosperous or not. 22 And it came to pass when all the camels ceased drinking, that the man took golden earrings, each of a drachma weight, and he put two bracelets on her hands, their weight was ten pieces of gold. 23 And he asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou? Tell me if there is room for us to lodge with thy father. 24 And she said to him I am the daughter of Bathuel the son of Melha, whom she bore to Nahor. 25 And she said to him, We have both straw and much provender, and a place for resting. 26 And the man being well pleased, worshipped the Lord, and said 27 Blessed be the Lord God of my lord Abraham, who has not suffered his righteousness to fail, nor his truth from my lord and the Lord has brought me prosperous to the house of the brother of my lord. 28 And the maiden ran and reported to the house of her mother according to these words. 29 And Rebecca had a brother whose name was Laban; and Laban ran out to meet the man, at the well. 30 And it came to pass when he saw the ear-rings and the bracelets on the hands of his sister, and when he heard the words of Rebecca his sister, saying, Thus the man spoke to me, that he went to the man, as he stood by the camels at the well. 31 And he said to him, Come in hither, thou blessed of the Lord, why stand thou outside, whereas I have prepared the house and a place for the camels? 32 And the man entered into the house, and unloaded the camels, and gave the camels straw and provender, and water to wash his feet, and the feet of the men that were with him. 33 And he set before them bread to eat; but be said, I will not eat, until I have spoken my words. And he said, Speak. 34 And he said, I am a slave of Abraham. 35 and the Lord has blessed my lord greatly, and he is exalted, and he has given him sheep, and calves, and silver, and gold, servants and male slaves and female slaves, camels, and asses. 36 And Sarah my lord’s wife bore one son to my lord after he had grown old; and be gave him whatever he had. 37 And my lord caused me to swear, saying, Thou shall not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I travel in their land. 38 But thou shall go to the house of my father, and to my tribe, and thou shall take thence a wife for my son. 39 And I said to my lord, Happily the woman will not go with me. 40 And he said to me, The Lord God, to whom I have been acceptable in his presence, he shall send out his angel with thee, and shall prosper thy journey, and thou shall take a wife for my son of my tribe, and of the house of my father. 41 Then shall thou be cleared from my curse, for whenever thou shall have come to my tribe, and they shall not give her to thee, then shall thou be cleared from my oath. 42 And having come this day to the well, I said, Lord God of my lord Abraham, if thou prosper my journey on which I am now going, 43 behold, I stand by the well of water, and the daughters of the men of the city come forth to draw water, and it shall be the maiden to whom I shall say, Give me a little water to drink out of thy pitcher, 44 and she shall say to me, Both drink thou, and I will draw water for thy camels, this shall be the wife whom the Lord has prepared for his own servant Isaac; and hereby shall I know that thou has wrought mercy with my lord Abraham. 45 And it came to pass before I had done speaking in my mind, straightway Rebecca came forth having her pitcher on her shoulders; and she went down to the well, and drew water and I said to her, Give me to drink. 46 And she hasted and let down the pitcher from herself, and said, Drink thou and I will give thy camels drink; and I drank, and she gave the camels drink. 47 And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou? Tell me; and she said, I am daughter of Bathuel the son of Nahor, whom Melha bore to him; and I put on her the earrings, and the bracelets on her hands. 48 And being well pleased I worshipped the Lord, and I blessed the Lord God of my lord Abraham, who has prospered me in a true way, so that I should take the daughter of my lord’s brother for his son. 49 If then ye deal mercifully and justly with my lord, and if not, tell me, that I may turn to the right or to the left. 50 Laban and Bathuel answered and said, This matter has come forth from the Lord; we shall not be able to answer thee bad or good. 51 Behold, Rebecca is before thee, take her and run away, and let her be a wife to the son of thy lord, as the Lord has said. 52 And it came to pass when the slave of Abraham heard these words; he bowed himself to the Lord down to the earth. 53 And the slave having brought forth jewels of silver and gold and raiment, gave them to Rebecca, and gave gifts to her brother, and to her mother. 54 And both he and the men with him ate and drank and went to sleep. And he arose in the morning and said, Send me away, that I may go to my lord. 55 And her brethren and her mother said, Let the virgin remain with us about ten days, and after that she shall depart. 56 But he said to them, Hinder me not, for the Lord has prospered my journey for me; send me away, that I may depart to my lord. 57 And they said, Let us call the lady, and enquire what she says. 58 And they called Rebecca, and said to her, Will thou go with this man? And she said, I will go. 59 So they sent forth Rebecca their sister, and her goods, and the slave of Abraham and his attendants. 60 And they blessed Rebecca, and said to her, thou art our sister; become thou thousands of myriads, and let thy seed possess the cities of their enemies. 61 And Rebecca rose up and her maidens, and they mounted the camels and went with the man; and the slave having taken up Rebecca, departed. 62 And Isaac went through the wilderness to the well of the vision, and he lived in the land toward the south. 63 And Isaac went forth into the plain toward evening to contemplate and having lifted up his eyes he saw camels coming. 64 And Rebecca lifted up her eyes, and saw Isaac; and she alighted briskly from the camel. 65 and said to the slave, Who is that man that walks in the plain to meet us? And the slave said, This is my lord; and she took her veil and covered herself. 66 And the slave told Isaac all the things he had done. 67 And Isaac went into the house of his mother, and took Rebecca, and she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted for Sarah his mother.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 25

And Abraham again took a wife, whose name was Hettura. 2 And she bore to him Zombran, and Jezan, and Madal, and Madiam, and Jesboc, and Soke. 3 And Jezan begot Saba and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were the Assurians and the Latusians, and Laomim. 4 And the sons of Madiam were Gephar and Aphir, and Enoch, and Abeida, and Eldaga; all these were sons of Hettura. 5 But Abraham gave all his possessions to Isaac his son. 6 But to the sons of his concubines Abraham gave gifts, and he sent them away from his son Isaac, while he was yet living to the east into the country of the east. 7 And these were the years of the days of the life of Abraham as many as he lived a hundred and seventy-five years. 8 And a failing Abraham died in a good old age, an old man and full of days, and was added to his people. 9 And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the double cave, in the field of Ephron the son of Saar the Hittite, which is over against Mambre. 10 The field and the cave which Abraham bought from the sons of Chet; there they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife. 11 And it came to pass after Abraham was dead that God blessed Isaac his son, and Isaac dwelt by the well of the vision. 12 And these are the generations of Ishmael the son of Abraham, whom Agar the Egyptian the slave of Sarah bore to Abraham. 13 And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, according to the names of their generations. The firstborn of Ishmael are, Nabaioth, and Kedar, and Nabdeel and Massam, 14 and Masma, and Duma, and Masse, 15 and Hoddan, and Thaeman, and Jetur and Naphes, and Kedma. 16 These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names in their tents and in their dwellings, twelve rulers according to their nations. 17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael a hundred and thirty-seven years; and he failed and died, and was added to his kindred. 18 And he lived from Evilat to Sur, which is opposite Egypt, until one comes to the Assyrians; he lived in the presence of all his brothers. 19 And these are the generations of Isaac the son of Abraham. 20 Abraham begot Isaac. And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebecca, daughter of Bathuel the Syrian, out of Mesopotamia Syria, sister of Laban the Syrian, as his wife. 21 And Isaac prayed the Lord concerning Rebecca his wife, because she was barren; and the Lord heard him, and his wife Rebecca conceived in her womb. 22 And the babies leaped within her; and she said, If it will be so with me, why is this to me? And she went to enquire of the Lord. 23 And the Lord said to her, There are two nations in thy womb and two peoples shall be separated from thy belly, and one people shall excel the other, and the greater shall serve the lesser. 24 And the days were fulfilled that she should be delivering, and she had twins in her womb. 25 And the first came out red, hairy all over like a skin; and she called his name Esau. 26 And after this came forth his brother, and his hand took hold of the heel of Esau; and she called his name Jacob. And Isaac was sixty years old when Rebecca bore them. 27 And the lads grew, and Esau was a man skilled in hunting, living in the country, and Jacob a simple man, living in a house. 28 And Isaac loved Esau, because his venison was his food, but Rebecca loved Jacob. 29 And Jacob cooked pottage, and Esau came from the plain, fainting. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, Let me taste of that red pottage because I am fainting; therefore his name was called Edom. 31 And Jacob said to Esau, Sell me this day thy birthright. 32 And Esau said, Behold, I am going to die, and for what good does this birthright to me? 33 And Jacob said to him, Swear to me this day and he swore to him; and Esau sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 And Jacob gave bread to Esau, and pottage of lentils; and he ate and drank, and he arose and departed; so Esau slighted his birthright.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X