Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible, Genesis (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 16

Now Sara the wife of Abram bore him no children; and she had an Egyptian slave, whose name was Agar. 2 And Sara said to Abram, Behold, the Lord has restrained me from bearing; go therefore in to my slave that I may get children for myself through her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sara. 3 So Sara the wife of Abram having taken Agar the Egyptian her slave, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, gave her to Abram her husband as a wife to him. 4 And he went in to Agar, and she conceived, and saw that she was with child, and her mistress was dishonored before her. 5 And Sara said to Abram, I am injured by thee; I gave my slave into thy bosom, and when I saw that she was with child, I was dishonored before her. The Lord judge between thee and me. 6 And Abram said to Sara, Behold thy slave is in thy hands, use her, as it may seem good to thee. And Sara afflicted her, and she fled from her face. 7 And an angel of the Lord found her by the fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Sur. 8 And the angel of the Lord said to her, Agar, Sara's slave, whence comes thou, and whither go thou? And she said, I am fleeing from the face of my mistress Sara. 9 And the angel of the Lord said to her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands. 10 And the angel of the Lord said to her, I will surely multiply thy seed, and it shall not be numbered for multitude. 11 And the angel of the Lord said to her, Behold, thou art with child, and shall bear a son, and shall call his name Ishmael, for the Lord hath hearkened to thy humiliation. 12 He shall be a wild man, his hands against all, and the hands of all against him, and he shall live in the presence of all his brothers. 13 And she called the name of the Lord God who spoke to her, Thou art God who sees me; for she said, For I have openly seen him that appeared to me. 14 Therefore she called the well, The well of him whom I have openly seen; behold it is between Kades and Barad. 15 And Agar bore a son to Abram; and Abram called the name of his son, which Agar bore to him, Ishmael. 16 And Abram was eighty-six years old, when Agar bore Ishmael to Abram.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 19

Now the two angels came to Sodom at evening. And Lot sat by the gate of Sodom, and Lot having seen them, rose up to meet them, and he worshipped with his face to the ground, and said, 2 Behold, lords, turn aside to the house of your servant, and rest from your journey, and wash your feet, and having risen early in the morning ye shall depart on your journey. And they said, Nay, but we will lodge in the street. 3 And he constrained them, and they turned aside to him, and they entered into his house, and he made a feast for them, and baked unleavened loaves for them, and they did eat. 4 However, before they went to sleep, the men of the city, the Sodomites, encircled the house, both young and old, all the people together. 5 And they called out Lot, and said to him, Where are the men that went in to thee this night? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them. 6 And Lot went out to them to the doorway, and he shut the door behind him. 7 And said to them, By no means, brothers, do not act wickedly. 8 I have two daughters, who have not known a man. I will bring them out to you, and do ye use them as it may please you, only do no injury to these men, to avoid this, which they came under the shelter of my roof. 9 And they said to him, Stand back there, thou came to live as a foreigner, was it also to judge? Now then we would harm thee more than them. And they pressed hard on the man, even Lot, and they drew near to break the door. 10 And the men stretched forth their hands and drew Lot in to them into the house, and shut the door of the house. 11 And they struck the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great, and they were wearied with seeking the door. 12 And the men said to Lot, Has thou here sons-in-law or sons or daughters, or if thou has any one else in the city, bring them out of this place. 13 For we are going to destroy this place; for their cry has been raised up before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it. 14 And Lot went out, and spoke to his sons-in-law who had married his daughters, and said, Rise up, and depart out of this place, for the Lord is about to destroy the city; but he seemed to be speaking absurdly before his sons-in-law. 15 But when it was morning, the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise and take thy wife, and thy two daughters whom thou have, and go forth; lest thou also be destroyed with the iniquities of the city. 16 And they were troubled, and the angels laid hold on his hand, and the hand of his wife, and the hands of his two daughters, in that the Lord spared him. 17 And it came to pass in the morning when they brought them out, that they said, Save thine own soul by all means; look not around to that which is behind, nor stay in all the country around, escape to the mountain, lest perhaps thou be overtaken. 18 And Lot said to them, I pray, Lord, 19 since thy servant has found mercy before thee, and thou has magnified thy righteousness, in what thou does towards me that my soul may live, but I shall not be able to escape to the mountain, lest perhaps the calamity overtake me and I die. 20 Behold, this city is near for me to escape thither, which is a small one, and there shall I be preserved, is it not little? And my soul shall live because of thee. 21 And he said to him, Behold, I have had respect to thee also about this thing that I should not overthrow the city about which thou hast spoken. 22 Hasten therefore to escape thither, for I shall not be able to do anything until thou art come thither; therefore he called the name of that city, Segor. 23 The sun was raised upon the earth, when Lot entered into Segor. 24 And the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. 25 And He destroyed these cities, and all the country around, and all that lived in the cities, and the plants of the ground. 26 And his wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. 27 And Abraham rose up early to go to the place, where he had stood before the Lord. 28 And he looked towards Sodom and Gomorrah, and towards the surrounding country, and saw, and behold a flame went up from the earth, as the smoke of a furnace. 29 And it came to pass that when God raised all the cities of the region around, God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the destruction, when the Lord destroyed these cities in which Lot lived. 30 And Lot went up out of Segor, and lived in the mountain, he and his two daughters with him, for he feared to live in Segor; and he lived in a cave, he and his two daughters with him.31 And the elder said to the younger, Our father is old, and there is no one on the earth who shall come in to us, as it is fit in all the earth. 32 Come and let us make our father drink wine, and let us sleep with him, and let us raise up seed from our father. 33 So they made their father drink wine that night, and the older daughter went in and lay with her father that night, and he knew nothing when he slept and when he rose up. 34 And it came to pass on the next day that the older daughter said to the younger daughter, Behold I slept last night with our father, let us make him drink wine in this night also and do thou go in and sleep with him and let us raise up seed of our father. 35 So they made their father drink wine in that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with her father, and he knew nothing when he slept, nor when he arose. 36 And the two daughters of Lot conceived by their father. 37 And the older daughter bore a son, and called his name Moab, saying, From my father. This is the father of the Moabites to this present day. 38 And the younger daughter also bore a son, and called his name Amman, saying, The son of my family. This is the father of the Ammanites to this present day.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 20

And Abraham traveled towards to the southern country, and lived between Kades and between Sur, and traveled in Gerara. 2 And Abraham said concerning Sarah his wife, She is my sister for he feared to say, She is my wife, lest at any time the men of the city should kill him for her sake. So Abimelek king of Gerara sent and took Sarah. 3 And God came to Abimelek by night in sleep, and said, Behold, thou will die for the woman, whom thou has taken, whereas she is married to a man. 4 But Abimelek had not touched her, and he said, Lord will thou destroy an ignorant and just nation? 5 Said he not to me, She is my sister, and said she not to me, He is my brother? With a pure heart and in the righteousness of my hands I did this. 6 And God said to him in sleep, Yea, I knew that thou did this with a pure heart, and I spared thee, so that thou should not sin against me, therefore I suffered thee not to touch her. 7 But now return the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and shall pray for thee, and thou shall live; but if thou restore her not, know that thou shall die and all thine. 8 And Abimelek rose in the morning, and called all his slaves, and he spoke all these things in their ears, and all the men feared exceedingly. 9 And Abimelek called Abraham and said to him, What is this that thou have done to us? Have we sinned against thee, that thou has brought upon me and upon my kingdom a great sin? Thou have done to me a deed, which no one ought to do. 10 And Abimelek said to Abraham, What have thou seen in that thou has done this? 11 And Abraham said, Why I said, Surely there is not the worship of God in this place, and they will slay me because of my wife. 12 For truly she is my sister by my father, but not by my mother, and she became my wife. 13 And it came to pass when God brought me forth out of the house of my father, that I said to her, This righteousness thou shall perform to me, in every place into which we may enter, say of me, He is my brother. 14 And Abimelek took a thousand pieces of silver, and sheep, and calves and male slaves, and female servants, and gave them to Abraham, and he returned him Sarah his wife. 15 And Abimelek said to Abraham, Behold, my land is before thee, dwell wherever it may please thee. 16 And to Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver, those shall be to thee for the price of thy countenance, and to all the women with thee, and speak the truth in all things. 17 And Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelek, and his wife, and his female slaves, and they bore children. 18 Because the Lord had quickly closed from without every womb in the house of Abimelek, because of Sarah, Abraham's wife.

Comment

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 22

And it came to pass after these things that God tempted Abraham, and said to him, Abraham, Abraham; and he said, Behold! I am. 2 And he said, Take thy son, thy beloved whom thou have loved -- Isaac, and go into the high land, and offer him there for a whole burnt offering on one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. 3 And Abraham rose up in the morning and saddled his mule, and he took with him two slaves, and Isaac his son, and having split wood for a whole burnt offering, he arose and departed, and came to the place of which God spoke to him, on the third day. 4 and Abraham having looked up with his eyes, he saw the place afar off. 5 And Abraham said to his slaves, Sit ye here with the mule, and the child and I will proceed thus far, and having worshipped we will return to you. 6 And Abraham took the wood of the whole burnt offering, and laid it on Isaac his son, and he took into his hands both the fire and the knife, and the two went together. 7 And Isaac said to Abraham his father, Father. He said, What is it, son? And he said, Behold the fire and the wood, where is the sheep for a whole burnt offering? 8 Abraham said, God will provide himself a sheep for a whole burnt offering, my child. And both having walked on together, 9 came to the place which God spoke of to him and there Abraham built the altar and laid the wood on it, and having bound the feet of Isaac his son together, he laid him on the altar upon the wood. 10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand to take the knife to kill his son. 11 And an angel of the Lord called to him out of heaven, and said Abraham, Abraham. And he said, Behold, I am. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the child, neither do anything to him, for now I know that thou fears God, and for My sake thou has not spared thy beloved son. 13 And Abraham looked up with his eyes and beheld, and lo! A ram caught by his horns in a plant of Sabek; and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a whole burnt offering in the place of Isaac his son. 14 And Abraham called the name of that place, The Lord Hath Seen; that they might say today; on the mountain the Lord was seen. 15 And an angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, saying, 16 I have sworn by myself, says the Lord, because thou has done this thing, and on my account has not spared thy beloved son, 17 surely blessings I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand which is by the shore of the sea, and thy seed shall inherit the cities of their enemies. 18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because thou have hearkened to my voice. 19 Abraham returned to his slaves, and when they arose they went together to the Well of the Oath. And Abraham lived at the Well of the Oath.
                20 And it came to pass after these things, that it was reported to Abraham, saying, Behold, Melha herself too has born sons to Nahor thy brother, 21 Uz the firstborn, and Baux his brother, and Kamuel the father of the Syrians, 22 and Hazad, and Azav and Phaldes, and Jeldaph, and Bathuel, 23 Bathuel begot Rebecca; these are eight sons, which Melha bore to Nahor the brother of Abraham. 24 And his concubine whose name was Rheuma, she also bore Tabek and Taam, and Tohos, and Moha.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 23

And the life of Sarah was an hundred and twenty-seven years. 2 And Sarah died in the city of Arbok, which is in the valley, (this is Hebron) in the land of Canaan. Abraham came to lament for Sarah and to mourn. 3 And Abraham stood up from before his dead; and Abraham spoke to the sons of Het, saying, 4 I am a traveler and a stranger among you, give me therefore possession of a burial place among you, and I will bury my dead away from me. 5 And the sons of Het answered to Abraham, saying, Not so, lord, 6 but hear us; thou art in the midst of us a king from God; bury thy dead in our choice sepulchers, for not one of us will by any means withhold his sepulcher from thee, so that thou should not bury thy dead there. 7 And Abraham rose up and did obeisance to the people of the land, to the sons of Het. 8 And Abraham spoke to them, saying, If ye have it in your soul that I should bury my dead far from my presence, hearken to me, and speak for me to Ephron the son of Saar. 9 And let him give me the double cave which he has, which is in a part of his field, let him give it to me for the money it is worth for possession of a burial place among you. 10 Now Ephron was sitting in the midst of the sons of Het, and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham and spoke in the hearing of the sons of Het, and of all who entered the city, saying, 11 Attend to me, my lord, and hear me, I give to thee the field and the cave which is in it; I have given it to thee before all my countrymen; bury thy dead. 12 And Abraham did obeisance before the people of the land. 13 And he said to Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, Since thou art in my presence, hear me, take the price of the field from me, and I will bury my dead there. 14 But Ephron answered Abraham, saying, 15 Nay, my lord, I have heard indeed, the land is worth four hundred silver didrachms, but what can this be between me and thee? Nay, do thou bury thy dead. 16 And Abraham hearkened to Ephron, and Abraham rendered to Ephron the money, which he mentioned in the ears of the sons of Het, four hundred didrachms of silver approved with merchants. 17 And the field of Ephron, which was at the Double Cave, which is opposite Mambre, the field and the cave, which was in it, and every tree which was in the field, and whatever is in its borders around, were made sure 18 to Abraham for a possession, before the sons of Het, and all that entered into the city. 19 After this Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the Double Cave of the field, which is opposite Mambre, (this is Hebron) in the land of Canaan. 20 So the field and the cave, which was in it, were made sure to Abraham for possession of a burial place, by the sons of Het.

Comment

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 25

And Abraham again took a wife, whose name was Hettura. 2 And she bore to him Zombran, and Jezan, and Madal, and Madiam, and Jesboc, and Soke. 3 And Jezan begot Saba and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were the Assurians and the Latusians, and Laomim. 4 And the sons of Madiam were Gephar and Aphir, and Enoch, and Abeida, and Eldaga; all these were sons of Hettura. 5 But Abraham gave all his possessions to Isaac his son. 6 But to the sons of his concubines Abraham gave gifts, and he sent them away from his son Isaac, while he was yet living to the east into the country of the east. 7 And these were the years of the days of the life of Abraham as many as he lived a hundred and seventy-five years. 8 And a failing Abraham died in a good old age, an old man and full of days, and was added to his people. 9 And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the double cave, in the field of Ephron the son of Saar the Hittite, which is over against Mambre. 10 The field and the cave which Abraham bought from the sons of Chet; there they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife. 11 And it came to pass after Abraham was dead that God blessed Isaac his son, and Isaac dwelt by the well of the vision. 12 And these are the generations of Ishmael the son of Abraham, whom Agar the Egyptian the slave of Sarah bore to Abraham. 13 And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, according to the names of their generations. The firstborn of Ishmael are, Nabaioth, and Kedar, and Nabdeel and Massam, 14 and Masma, and Duma, and Masse, 15 and Hoddan, and Thaeman, and Jetur and Naphes, and Kedma. 16 These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names in their tents and in their dwellings, twelve rulers according to their nations. 17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael a hundred and thirty-seven years; and he failed and died, and was added to his kindred. 18 And he lived from Evilat to Sur, which is opposite Egypt, until one comes to the Assyrians; he lived in the presence of all his brothers. 19 And these are the generations of Isaac the son of Abraham. 20 Abraham begot Isaac. And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebecca, daughter of Bathuel the Syrian, out of Mesopotamia Syria, sister of Laban the Syrian, as his wife. 21 And Isaac prayed the Lord concerning Rebecca his wife, because she was barren; and the Lord heard him, and his wife Rebecca conceived in her womb. 22 And the babies leaped within her; and she said, If it will be so with me, why is this to me? And she went to enquire of the Lord. 23 And the Lord said to her, There are two nations in thy womb and two peoples shall be separated from thy belly, and one people shall excel the other, and the greater shall serve the lesser. 24 And the days were fulfilled that she should be delivering, and she had twins in her womb. 25 And the first came out red, hairy all over like a skin; and she called his name Esau. 26 And after this came forth his brother, and his hand took hold of the heel of Esau; and she called his name Jacob. And Isaac was sixty years old when Rebecca bore them. 27 And the lads grew, and Esau was a man skilled in hunting, living in the country, and Jacob a simple man, living in a house. 28 And Isaac loved Esau, because his venison was his food, but Rebecca loved Jacob. 29 And Jacob cooked pottage, and Esau came from the plain, fainting. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, Let me taste of that red pottage because I am fainting; therefore his name was called Edom. 31 And Jacob said to Esau, Sell me this day thy birthright. 32 And Esau said, Behold, I am going to die, and for what good does this birthright to me? 33 And Jacob said to him, Swear to me this day and he swore to him; and Esau sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 And Jacob gave bread to Esau, and pottage of lentils; and he ate and drank, and he arose and departed; so Esau slighted his birthright.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X