Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible, Genesis (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Orthodox Bible, Genesis (LXX)

THE BOOK OF
    Genesis

Chapter 1

In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was invisible and without form and darkness was over the abyss and the Spirit of God moved over the water. 3 And God said, Let light be created, and light was created. 4 And God saw the light that it was good, and God divided between the light and between the darkness. 5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night, and there was evening and there was morning, the first day. 6 And God said, Let a firmament be created in the midst of the water, and let it be a division between water and water, and it was so. 7 And God made the firmament, and God divided between the water, which was under the firmament, and the water, which was above the firmament. 8 And God called the firmament Sky, and God saw that it was good, and there was evening and there was morning, the second day. 9 And God said, Let the water, which is under the sky be collected into one place, and let the dry land appear, and it was so. And the water, which was under the sky, was collected into its places, and the dry land appeared. 10 And God called the dry land Earth, and the gatherings of the waters He called Seas, and God saw that it was good. 11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the herb of grass bearing seed according to its kind and according to its likeness, and the fruit tree bearing fruit whose seed is in it, according to its kind on the earth, and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth the herb of grass bearing seed according to its kind and according to its likeness, and the fruit tree bearing fruit whose seed is in it, according to its kind on the earth, and God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day. 14 And, God said Let luminaries be created in the firmament of the sky to give light upon the earth, to divide between day and night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and for years. 15 And let them be for light in the firmament of the sky, so as to shine upon the earth, and it was so. 16 And God made the two great luminaries, the greater luminary for regulating the day and the lesser luminary for regulating the night, and the stars. 17 And God placed them in the firmament of the sky, so as to shine upon the earth, 18 and to regulate day and night, and to divide between the light and between the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day. 20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth reptiles having life and winged creatures flying above the earth in the firmament of the sky, and it was so. 21 And God made great sea creatures, and every living reptile, which the waters brought forth according to their kinds, and every creature that flies with wings according to its kind, and God saw that they were good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, Increase and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let the creatures that fly be multiplied on the earth. 23 And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day. 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind, quadrupeds and reptiles and wild beasts of the earth according to their kind, and it was so. 25 And God made the wild beasts of the earth according to their kind, and cattle according to their kind, and all the reptiles of the earth according to their kind, and God saw that they were good. 26 And God said, Let us make man according to our image and likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the flying creatures of the sky, and over the cattle and all the earth, and over all the reptiles that creep on the earth. 27 And God made man, according to the image of God He made him, male and female He made them. 28 And God blessed them, saying, Increase and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the seas and the flying creatures of the sky, and all the cattle and the earth, and all the reptiles that creep on the earth. 29 And God said, Behold I have given to you every seed bearing herb sowing seed which is upon all the earth, and every tree which has in itself the fruit of seed that is sown, to you it shall be for food. 30 And to all the wild beasts of the earth and to all the flying creatures of the sky and to every reptile creeping on the earth, which has in itself the breath of life, even every green plant for food; and it was so. 31 And God saw all the things that he had made, and behold they were very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 2

And the heavens and the earth were finished, and the whole world of them. 2 And God finished on the sixth day His works, which He made, and He ceased on the seventh day from all His works, which He made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He ceased from all His works, which God began to do. 4 This is the book of the generation of heaven and earth, when they were created, in the day in which the Lord God made the heaven and the earth, 5 and every herb of the field before it was on the earth, and all the grass of the field before it sprang up, for God had not rained on the earth, and there was not a man to cultivate it. 6 But there raised a fountain out of the earth, and watered the whole face of the earth. 7 And God formed the man of dust of the earth and breathed upon his face the breath of life, and the man became a living soul. 8 And God planted a garden to the east in Edem, and placed there the man whom He formed. 9 And God made to spring up also out of the earth every tree beautiful to the eye and good for food, and the tree of life in the midst of the garden, and the tree of learning the knowledge of good and evil. 10 And a river proceeds out of Edem to water the garden; thence it divides itself into four heads. 11 The name of the one, Phisom, this it is which encircles the whole land of Evilat, where there is gold. 12 And the gold of that land is good; there also is carbuncle and emerald. 13 And the name of the second river is Geon; this it is which encircles the whole land of Ethiopia. 14 And the third river is Tigris; this is that which flows forth over against the Assyrians. And the fourth river is the Euphrates. 15 And the Lord God took the man whom He had formed, and placed him in the garden of delight, to cultivate and keep it. 16 And the Lord God gave a charge to Adam, saying, Of every tree that is in the garden thou may freely eat, 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; of it ye shall not eat, but in whatever day ye eat of it, ye shall surely die by death. 18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man is alone, let us make for him a helper. 19 And God formed yet farther out of the earth all the wild beasts of the field, and all the birds of the sky, and he brought them to Adam, to see what he would call them, and whatever Adam called any living creature, that was the name of it. 20 And Adam gave names to all the cattle and to all the birds of the sky and to all the wild beasts of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper like himself? 21 And God brought a trance upon Adam, and he slept, and He took one of his ribs, and filled up the flesh instead thereof. 22 And God formed the rib, which He took from Adam into a woman, and brought her to Adam. 23 And Adam said, This now is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of her man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave to his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 25 And the two were naked both Adam and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 3

Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the beasts on the earth, which the Lord God made, and the serpent said to the woman, Wherefore has God said, Eat not of every tree of the garden? 2 And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden, 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God said Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4 And the serpent said to the woman, Ye should not surely die by death. 5 For God knew that in whatever day ye should eat of it your eyes would be opened and ye would be as gods, knowing good and evil. 6 And the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes to look upon and beautiful to contemplate and having taken of its fruit she ate, and she gave to her man also with her, and they ate. 7 And the eyes of both were opened, and they perceived that they were naked, and they sowed fig leaves together and made for themselves aprons. 8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the afternoon; and both Adam and his woman hid themselves from the face of the Lord God in the midst of the trees of the garden. 9 And the Lord God called Adam and said to him, Adam, where art thou? 10 And he said to Him, I heard thy voice as thou walked in the garden, and I feared because I was naked and I hid myself. 11 And God said to him, Who told thee that thou was naked, unless thou has eaten of the tree concerning which I charged thee of it alone not to eat? 12 And Adam said, The woman whom thou gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I ate. 13 And the Lord God said to the woman, Why has thou done this? And the woman said, The serpent deceived me and I ate. 14 And the Lord God said to the serpent, Because thou has done this thou art cursed above all cattle and all the beasts of the earth on thy breast and belly thou shall go, and thou shall eat earth all the days of thy life. 15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman and between thy seed and her seed, He shall watch for thy head, and thou shall watch for His heel. 16 And to the woman He said, I will greatly multiply thy pain and thy groaning; in pain thou shall bring forth children, and thy submission shall be to thy man, and he shall rule over thee. 17 And to Adam He said, Because thou has hearkened to the voice of thy woman, and eaten of the tree concerning which I charged thee of it only not to eat, of that thou has eaten, cursed is the ground in thy labors, in pain shall thou eat of it all the days of thy life. 18 Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee, and thou shall eat the herb of the field. 19 In the sweat of thy face shall thou eat thy bread until thou return to the earth out of which thou were taken, for earth thou art and to earth thou shall return. 20 And Adam called the name of his wife Life, because she was the mother of all living. 21 And the Lord God made for Adam and his wife garments of skin, and clothed them. 22 And God said, Behold, Adam is become as one of us, to know good and evil and now lest at any time he stretch forth his hand, and take of the tree of life and eat, and so he shall live forever. 23 So the Lord God sent him forth out of the garden of delight to cultivate the ground out of which he was taken. 24 And He cast out Adam and caused him to live over against the garden of delight, and stationed the cherubs and the fiery sword that turns about to guard the way of the tree of life.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 4

And Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and brought forth Kain and said I have gained a man through God. 2 And she again bore his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Kain was a tiller of the ground. 3 And it was so after some time that Kain brought of the fruits of the earth as a sacrifice to the Lord. 4 And Abel also brought of the firstborn of his sheep and of his fatlings and God looked upon Abel and his gifts, 5 but Kain and his sacrifices he regarded not, and Kain was exceedingly sorrowful and his countenance fell. 6 And the Lord God said to Kain, Why art thou become very sorrowful and why is thy countenance fallen? 7 Has thou not sinned if thou have brought it rightly, but not rightly divided it? Be still, to thee shall be his submission, and thou shall rule over him. 8 And Kain said to Abel his brother, Let us go out into the plain; and it came to pass that when they were in the plain Kain raised up against Abel his brother and killed him. 9 And the Lord God said to Kain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not, am I my brother's keeper? 10 And the Lord said, What have thou done? The voice of thy brother's blood cries out to me from the ground. 11 And now thou art cursed from the earth, which has opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand. 12 When thou tillest the earth, then it shall not continue to give its strength to thee: thou shall be groaning and trembling on the earth. 13 And Kain said to the Lord God, My crime is too great for me to be forgiven. 14 If thou will cast me out this day from the face of the earth, and I shall be hidden from thy presence, and I shall be groaning and trembling upon the earth, then it will be that any one that finds me shall kill me. 15 And the Lord God said to him, Not so, any one that kills Kain shall suffer seven fold vengeance; and the Lord God set a mark upon Kain that no one that found him might kill him. 16 So Kain went forth from the presence of God and lived in the land of Nod over against Edem. 17 And Kain knew his wife, and having conceived she bore Enoch; and he built a city; and he named the city after the name of his son, Enoch. 18 And to Enoch was born Gaidad; and Gaidad begot Maleleel; and Maleleel begot Mathusala; and Mathusala begot Lamech. 19 And Lameh took to himself two wives; the name of the one was Ada, and the name of the second Sella. 20 And Ada bore Jobel; he was the father of those that live in tents, feeding cattle. 21 And the name of his brother was Jubal; it was he who invented the psaltery and harp. 22 And Sella also bore Thobel; he was a smith, a manufacturer both of brass and iron: and the sister of Thobel was Noëma. 23 And Lameh said to his wives, Ada and Sella, Hear my voice, ye wives of Lameh, consider my words, because I have killed a man to my sorrow and a youth to my grief. 24 Because vengeance has been exacted seven times on Kain's behalf, on Lameh's it shall be seventy times seven. 25 And Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore a son, and called his name Seth, saying, For God has raised up to me another seed instead of Abel, whom Kain killed. 26 And Seth had a son, and he called his name Enos: he hoped to call on the name of the Lord God.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 5

This is the book of the generation of men in the day in which God made Adam; in the image of God He made him: 2 male and female He made them, and blessed them; and He called his name Adam, in the day in which He made them. 3 And Adam lived two hundred and thirty years, and begot a son after his own form and after his own image, and he called his name Seth. 4 And the days of Adam, which he lived after his begetting Seth, were seven hundred years; and he begot sons and daughters. 5 And all the days of Adam, which he lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died. 6 Now Seth lived two hundred and five years, and begot Enos. 7 And Seth lived after his begetting Enos, seven hundred and seven years, and he begot sons and daughters. 8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died. 9 And Enos lived an hundred and ninety years, and begot Kainan. 10 And Enos lived after his begetting Kainan, seven hundred and fifteen and he begot sons and daughters. 11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years, and he died. 12 And Kainan lived an hundred and seventy years, and he begot Maleleel. 13 And Kainan lived after his begetting Maleleel, seven hundred and forty years, and he begot son and daughters. 14 And all the days of Kainan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died. 15 And Maleleel lived an hundred and sixty and five years, and he begot Jared. 16 And Maleleel lived after his begetting Jared, seven hundred and thirty years, and he begot sons and daughters. 17 And all the days of Maleleel were eight hundred and ninety and five years, and he died. 18 And Jared lived an hundred and two years, and begot Enoch: 19 and Jared lived after his begetting Enoch, eight hundred years, and he begot sons and daughters. 20 And all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty and two years, and he died. 21 And Enoch lived an hundred and sixty and five years, and begat Mathusala. 22 And Enoch was well pleasing to God after his begetting Mathusala, two hundred years, and he begot sons and daughters. 23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty and five years. 24 And Enoch was well pleasing to God, and was not found, because God translated him. 25 And Mathusala lived an hundred and sixty and seven years and begot Lameh. 26 And Mathusala lived after his begetting Lameh eight hundred and two years, and begot sons and daughters. 27 And all the days of Mathusala which he lived, were nine hundred and sixty and nine years, and he died. 28 And Lameh lived an hundred and eighty and eight years, and begot a son. 29 And he called his name Noe, saying, This one will cause us to cease from our works, and from the toils of our hands, and from the earth, which the Lord God has cursed. 30 And Lameh lived after his begetting Noe, five hundred and sixty and five years, and begot sons and daughters. 31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and fifty-three years, and he died.
          32 And Noe was five hundred years old, and he begot three sons, Sem, Ham, and Japheth.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 6

And it came to pass when men began to be numerous upon the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the * sons of God having seen the daughters of men that they were beautiful, took to themselves wives of all whom they chose. 3 And the Lord God said, My Spirit shall certainly not remain among these men forever, because they are flesh, but their days shall be an hundred and twenty years. 4 Now the giants were upon the earth in those days; and after that when the * sons of God were used to go in to the daughters of men, they bore children to them, those were the giants of old, the men of renown.
            5 And the Lord God having seen that the wicked actions of men were multiplied upon the earth, and that every one in his heart was purposefully brooding over evil continually, 6 then God laid it to heart that he had made man upon the earth, and he pondered it deeply. 7 And God said, I will blot out man whom I have made from the face of the earth, even man with cattle, and reptiles with flying creatures of the sky, for * I am grieved that I have made them. 8 But Noe found grace before the Lord God. 9 And these are the generations of Noe. Noe was a just man; being perfect in his generation, Noe was well pleasing to God. 10 And Noe begot three sons, Sem, Ham, and Japheth. 11 But the earth was corrupted before God, and the earth was filled with iniquity. 12 And the Lord God saw the earth, and it was corrupted because all flesh had corrupted its way upon the earth. 13 And the Lord God said to Noe, The period for all mankind is come before me; because they have filled the earth with iniquity, and, behold, I am completely destroying them and the earth. 14 So make therefore for thyself an ark of square timber. Thou shall make the ark with compartments, and thou shall pitch it within and without with pitch. 15 And thus shall thou make the ark: three hundred cubits the length of the ark, and fifty cubits the breadth, and thirty cubits the height of it. 16 Thou shall narrow the ark in making it, and in a cubit above thou shall finish it, and the door of the ark thou shall make on the side; with lower, second, and third stories thou shall make it. 17 And behold I bring a flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven, and whatsoever things are upon the earth shall die. 18 And I will establish my covenant with thee, and thou shall enter into the ark, and thy sons and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee. 19 And of all cattle and of all reptiles and of all wild beasts, even of all flesh, thou shall bring into the ark two by two, that thou may feed them with thyself; male and female they shall be. 20 Of all winged birds after their kind and of all cattle after their kind and of all reptiles creeping upon the earth after their kind, two by two of all shall come in to thee, male and female to be fed with thee. 21 And thou shall take to thyself of all kinds of food, which ye eat, and thou shall gather them to thyself, and it shall be for thee and them to eat. 22 And Noe did all things whatever the Lord God commanded him, he so did.

* The Zoe Brotherhood text cites to an alternative reading for Chapter Six verse seven in Codex Alexandrinus which reads: “I am angered.”

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “angels of God”.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 7

And the Lord God said to Noe, Enter thou and all thy family into the ark, for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. 2 And of the clean cattle take in to thee seven by seven, male and female, and of the unclean cattle two by two, male and female. 3 And of clean flying creatures of the sky seven by seven, male and female, and of all unclean flying creatures two by two, male and female, to maintain their seed on all the earth. 4 For yet seven days having passed I bring rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights, and I will blot out every offspring, which I have made from the face of all the earth. 5 And Noe did all things whatever the Lord God commanded him. 6 And Noe was six hundred years old when the flood of water was upon the earth. 7 And then went in Noe and his sons and his wife, and his sons' wives with him into the ark, because of the water of the flood. 8 And of clean flying creatures and of unclean flying creatures, and of clean cattle and of unclean cattle, and of all things that creep upon the earth, 9 Two by twos went in to Noe into the ark, male and female, as God commanded Noe. 10 And it came to pass after the seven days that the water of the flood came upon the earth. 11 In the six hundredth year of the life of Noe, in the second month, on the twenty-seventh of the month, on this day all the fountains of the abyss were broken up, and the floodgates of heaven were opened. 12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights. 13 On that very day entered Noe, Sem, Ham, and Japheth the sons of Noe, and the wife of Noe, and the three wives of his sons with him into the ark. 14 And all the wild beasts after their kind, and all cattle after their kind, and every reptile moving itself on the earth after its kind, and every flying bird after its kind, 15 went in to Noe into the ark, two by two, male and female of all flesh in which is the breath of life. 16 And they that entered went in male and female of all flesh, as God commanded Noe and the Lord God closed the ark outside of him. 17 And the flood was upon the earth forty days and forty nights, and the water abounded greatly and bore up the ark, and it was lifted on high from off the earth. 18 And the water prevailed and abounded exceedingly upon the earth, and the ark was borne upon the water. 19 And the water prevailed exceedingly upon the earth, and covered all the high mountains, which were under heaven. 20 Fifteen cubits upwards was the water raised, and it covered all the high mountains. 21 And there died all flesh that moved upon the earth, of flying creatures and cattle, and of wild beasts, and every reptile moving upon the earth, and every man. 22 And all things, which have the breath of life, and whatever was on the dry land, died. 23 And he blotted out every offspring which was upon the face of the earth, both man and beast, and reptiles, and birds of the sky, and they were blotted out from the earth, and Noe was left alone, and those with him in the ark. 24 And the water was raised over the earth an hundred and fifty days.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 8

And God remembered Noe, and all the wild beasts, and all the cattle, and all the birds, and all the reptiles that creep, as many as were with him in the ark and God brought a wind upon the earth and the water stayed. 2 And the fountains of the abyss were closed up, and the floodgates of heaven and the rain from heaven were withheld. 3 And the water subsided, and went off the earth, and after an hundred and fifty days the water was diminished, and the ark rested in the seventh month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, on the mountains of Ararat. 4 And the water continued to decrease until the tenth month. 5 And in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, the heads of the mountains were seen. 6 And it came to pass after forty days Noe opened the window of the ark, which he had made, and he sent forth a raven to see if the water had ceased 7 And it went forth and returned not until the water was dried off from the earth. 8 And he sent a dove after it to see if the water had ceased off from the earth. 9 And the dove not having found rest for her feet, returned to him into the ark, because the water was on all the face of the earth and he stretched out his hand and took her, and brought her to himself into the ark. 10 And having waited yet seven other days, he again sent forth the dove from the ark. 11 And the dove returned to him in the evening and had a leaf of olive, a sprig in her mouth; and Noe knew that the water had ceased from off the earth. 12 And having waited yet seven other days, he again sent forth the dove, and she did not return to him again any more. 13 And it came to pass in the six hundred and first year of the life of Noe, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the water subsided from off the earth and Noe opened the covering of the ark which he had made, and he saw that the water had subsided from the face of the earth. 14 And in the second month the earth was dried, on the twenty-seventh of the month. 15 And the Lord God spoke to Noe, saying, 16 Come out from the ark, thou and thy wife and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee. 17 And all the wild beasts as many as are with thee and all flesh both of birds and beasts and every reptile moving upon the earth, bring forth with thee: and increase ye and multiply upon the earth. 18 And Noe came forth, and his wife and his sons, and his sons' wives with him. 19 And all the wild beasts and all the cattle and every bird, and every reptile creeping upon the earth after their kind, came forth out of the ark. 20 And Noe built an altar to the Lord, and took of all clean beasts, and of all clean birds, and offered a whole burnt offering upon the altar. 21 And the Lord God smelled a smell of sweetness, and the Lord God, having considered, said, I will not any more curse the earth, because of the works of men, because the imagination of man is purposefully bent upon evil things from his youth, I will not therefore any more smite all living flesh as I have done. 22 All the days of the earth, seed and harvest, cold and heat, summer and spring, shall not cease by day or night.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 9

And God blessed Noe and his sons, and said to them, Increase and multiply, and fill the earth and have dominion over it. 2 And the dread and the fear of you shall be upon all the wild beasts of the earth, on all the birds of the sky, and on all things moving upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea, I have placed them under your power. 3 And every reptile, which is living, shall be to you for meat, I have given all things to you as the green herbs. 4 But flesh with blood of life ye shall not eat. 5 For your blood of your lives will I require at the hand of all wild beasts, and I will require the life of man at the hand of his brother. 6 He that sheds man's blood in return for this blood shall his own be shed, for in the image of God I made man. 7 But do ye increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and have dominion over it. 8 And God spoke to Noe and to his sons with him, saying, 9 And behold I will establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you, 10 and with every living creature with you of birds and of beasts, and with all the wild beasts of the earth, as many as are with you, of all that came out of the ark. 11 And I will establish my covenant with you and all flesh shall not any more die by the water of the flood, and there shall no more be a flood of water to destroy all the earth. 12 And the Lord God said to Noe, This is the sign of the covenant, which I set between you and Me and between every living creature, which is with you for perpetual generations. 13 I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of covenant between the earth and me. 14 And it shall be when I gather clouds upon the earth, that My bow shall be seen in the cloud. 15 And I will remember My covenant, which is between you and Me and between every living soul in all flesh, and there shall no longer be water for a deluge, so as to blot out all flesh. 16 And my bow shall be in the cloud, and I will look to remember the everlasting covenant between the earth, and Me and between every living soul in all flesh, which is upon the earth. 17 And God said to Noe, This is the sign of the covenant, which I have made between all flesh, and Me, which is upon the earth. 18 Now the sons of Noe which came out of the ark were Sem, Ham, and Japheth. And Ham was father of Canaan. 19 These three are the sons of Noe, of these were men scattered over all the earth. 20 And Noe began to be a husbandman, and he planted a vineyard. 21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunk, and was naked in his house. 22 And Ham the father of Canaan saw the nakedness of his father, and he went out and told his two brothers outside. 23 And Sem and Japheth having taken a garment, put it on both their backs and went backwards, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backwards and they saw not the nakedness of their father. 24 And Noe recovered from the wine, and knew all that his younger son had done to him. 25 And he said, Cursed be the slave Canaan, a slave shall he be to his brothers. 26 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Sem, and Canaan shall be his slave. 27 May God make room for Japheth, and let him live in the habitations of Sem, and let Canaan be his slave. 28 And Noe lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years. 29 And all the days of Noe were nine hundred and fifty years, and he died.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 10

Now these are the generations of the sons of Noe, Sem, Ham, Japheth; and sons were born to them after the flood. 2 The sons of Japheth, Gamer, and Magog, and Madoi, and Jovan, and Elisa, and Thobel, and Mosoch, and Thiras. 3 And the sons of Gamer, Aschanaz, and Riphath, and Thorgama. 4 And the sons of Jovan, Elisa, and Tharseis, Cetians, Rhodians. 5 From these were the islands of the Gentiles divided in their land, each according to his tongue, in their tribes and in their nations. 6 And the sons of Ham, Hus, and Mesrain, Phud, and Canaan. 7 And the sons of Hus, Saba, and Evila, and Sabatha, and Rhegma, and Sabathaka. And the sons of Rhegma, Saba, and Dadan. 8 And Hus begot Nimrod; he began to be a giant upon the earth. 9 He was a great hunter before the Lord God; therefore they say, As Nimrod the great hunter before the Lord. 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babylon, and Orech, and Arhad, and Halanne, in the land of Sennaar. 11 Out of that land came Assur, and built Ninevi, and the city Rhooboth, and Halach, 12 and Dase between Ninevi and Halach; this is the great city. 13 And Mesrain begot the Ludiim and the Nephthalim, and the Enemetiim, and the Labiim, and the Patrosoniim 14 and the Hasmoniim (whence came forth Phylistiim) and the Gaphthoriim. 15 And Canaan begot Sidon his firstborn 16 and the Hettite, and the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgashite, and the Evite, and the Arukite, 17 and the Asennite, and the Aradian, and the Samarean, and the Amathite; 18 and after this the tribes of the Canaanites were dispersed. 19 And the boundaries of the Canaanites were from Sidon till one comes to Gerara and Gaza, till one comes to Sodom and Gomorrah, Adama and Seboim, as far as Dasa. 20 These were the sons of Ham in their tribes according to their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations. 21 And to Sem himself also were children born, the father of all the sons of Heber, the brother of Japheth the elder. 22 Sons of Sem, Elam, and Assur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram, and Cainan. 23 And sons of Aram, Uz, and Ul, and Gater, and Mosoch. 24 And Arphaxad begot Cainan and Cainan begot Sala. And Sala begot Heber. 25 And to Heber were born two sons, the name of the one, Phaleg, because in his days the earth was divided, and the name of his brother Jektan. 26 And Jektan begot Elmodad, and Saleth, and Sarmoth, and Jarah, and Odorrha, and Aibel, and Dekla, 27 and Eval, and Abimael, and Saba, 28 and Uphir, and Evila, and Jobab, 29 all these were the sons of Jektan. 30 And their dwelling was from Masse, till one comes to Saphera, a mountain of the east. 31 These were the sons of Sem in their tribes, according to their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations. 32 These are the tribes of the sons of Noe, according to their generations, according to their nations; of them were the islands of the Gentiles scattered over the earth after the flood.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 11

And all the earth was one lip, and there was one speech to all. 2 And it came to pass as they moved from the east, they found a plain in the land of Sennaar, and they lived there. 3 And a man said to his neighbor, Come, let us make bricks and bake them with fire. And the brick was to them for stone, and their mortar was bitumen. 4 And they said, Come, let us build to ourselves a city and tower, whose top shall be to heaven, and let us make to us a name, before we are scattered abroad upon the face of all the earth. 5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men built. 6 And the Lord said, Behold, one race, and one lip of all, and they have begun to do this and now nothing shall fail from them of all that they may have undertaken to do. 7 Come, and let us go down there and confound their tongue, that they may not understand each the voice of his neighbor. 8 And the Lord scattered them thence over the face of all the earth and they left off building the city and the tower. 9 On this account its name was called Confusion, because there the Lord confounded the lips of all the earth, and thence the Lord scattered them upon the face of all the earth. 10 And these are the generations of Sem; and Sem was a hundred years old when he begot Arphaxad, the second year after the flood. 11 And Sem lived, after he had begotten Arphaxad, five hundred years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 12 And Arphaxad lived a hundred and thirty-five years, and begot Canaan. 13 And Arphaxad lived after he had begotten Canaan, four hundred years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. And Canaan lived a hundred and thirty years and begot Sala; and Canaan lived after he had begotten Sala, three hundred and thirty years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 14 And Sala lived an hundred and thirty years, and begot Heber. 15 And Sala lived after he had begotten Heber, three hundred and thirty years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 16 And Heber lived an hundred and thirty-four years, and begot Phaleg. 17 And Heber lived after he had begotten Phaleg two hundred and seventy years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 18 And Phaleg lived an hundred and thirty years, and begot Ragau. 19 And Phaleg lived after he had begotten Ragau, nine and two hundred years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 20 And Ragau lived an hundred thirty and two years, and begot Seruh. 21 And Ragau lived after he had begotten Seruh, two hundred and seven years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 22 And Seruh lived hundred and thirty years, and begot Nachor. 23 And Seruh lived after he had begotten Nahor, two hundred years, and begot sons and daughters, and died. 24 And Nahor lived a hundred and seventy-nine years, and begot Tharrha. 25 And Nahor lived after he had begotten Tharrha, an hundred and twenty-five years, and begot sons and daughters, and he died. 26 And Pharrha lived seventy years, and begot Abram, and Nahor, and Arrhan. 27 And these are the generations of Tharrha. Tharrha begot Abram and Nahor, and Arrhan; and Arrhan begot Lot. 28 And Arrhan died in the presence of Tharrha his father, in the land in which he was born, in the country of the Chaldees. 29 And Abram and Nahor took to themselves wives, the name of the wife of Abram was Sara and the name of the wife of Nahor, Malha, daughter of Arrhan, and he was the father of Malha, the father of Jesha. 30 And Sara was barren, and did not bear children. 31 And Tharrha took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Arrhan, the son of his son, and Sara his daughter-in-law, the wife of Abram his son, and led them forth out of the land of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan, and they came as far as Harrhan, and he lived there. 32 And all the days of Tharrha in the land of Harrhan were two hundred and five years, and Tharrha died in Harrhan.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 12

And the Lord said to Abram, Go forth out of thy land and out of thy kind, and out of the house of thy father, and come into the land, which I shall show thee. 2 And I will make thee a great nation, and I will bless thee and magnify thy name, and thou shall be blessed. 3 And I will bless those that bless thee, and curse those that curse thee, and in thee shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed. 4 And Abram went as the Lord spoke to him, and Lot departed with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old, when he went out of Harrhan. 5 And Abram took Sara his wife, and Lot the son of his brother, and all their possessions, as many as they had got, and every soul which they had got in Harrhan, and * they went forth to go into the land of Canaan. 6 And Abram traversed the length of the land as far as the place Sychem, to the high oak, and the Canaanites then inhabited the land. 7 And the Lord appeared to Abram, and said to him, I will give this land to thy seed. And Abram built an altar there to the Lord who appeared to him. 8 And he departed thence to the mountain eastward of Bethel and there he pitched his tent, in Bethel near the sea, and Aggai toward the east, and there he built an altar to the Lord, and called on the name of the Lord. 9 And Abram departed and went and lived in the wilderness. 10 And there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to travel there, because the famine prevailed in the land. 11 And it came to pass when Abram drew near to enter into Egypt, Abram said to Sara his wife, I know that thou art a beautiful woman. 12 It shall come to pass then that when the Egyptians shall see thee, they shall say, This is his wife, and they shall kill me, but they shall keep thee alive. 13 Say, therefore, I am his sister, that it may be well with me on account of thee, and my soul shall live because of thee. 14 And it came to pass when Abram entered into Egypt - the Egyptians having seen his wife that she was very beautiful - 15 that the princes of Pharaoh saw her, and praised her to Pharaoh and brought her into the house of Pharaoh. 16 And they treated Abram well on her account, and he had sheep, and calves, and mules, and male slaves, and female slaves, and donkeys, and camels. 17 And God afflicted Pharaoh with great and severe afflictions, and his house, because of Sara, Abram's wife. 18 And Pharaoh having called Abram, said, What is this thou has done to me, that thou did not tell me that she was thy wife? 19 Why did thou say she is my sister? And I took her for a wife to myself; and now, behold, thy wife is before thee, take her and leave quickly. 20 And Pharaoh gave charge to men concerning Abram to join in sending him forward, and his wife, and all that he had, * and Lot with him.

*Codex Alexandrinus for verse five reads: “and arrived into the land of Canaan”.

*Codex Alexandrinus also includes the additional phrase: “…and Lot with him” at the end of Chapter Twelve.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 13

And Abram went up out of Egypt, he and his wife, and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the wilderness. 2 And Abram was very rich in cattle and silver, and gold. 3 And he went whence he came, into the wilderness as far as Bethel, as far as the place where his tent was before, between Bethel and Aggai, 4 to the place of the altar, * which he built there at first, and Abram there called on the name of the Lord. 5 And Lot, who went out with Abram, had sheep, and oxen, and * tents. 6 And the land was not large enough for them to live together, because their possessions were great; and the land was not large enough for them to live together. 7 And there was strife between the herdsmen of Abram's cattle, and the herdsmen of Lot's cattle, and the Canaanites and the Pherezites then lived in the land. 8 And Abram said to Lot, Let there not be strife between thee, and me and between my herdsmen and thy herdsmen for we are brothers. 9 Behold, is not the whole land before thee? Separate thyself from me if thou will go to the left, I will go to the right, and if thou will go to the right I will go to the left. 10 And Lot having lifted up his eyes, observed all the country around Jordan, that it was all watered, before God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, as the garden of the Lord, and as the land of Egypt, until thou come to Zogora. 11 And Lot chose for himself all the country around Jordan, and Lot went from the east, and they were separated each from his brother. 12 And Abram lived in the land of Canaan; And Lot lived in a city of the neighboring people, and pitched his tent in Sodom. 13 But the men of Sodom were evil, and exceedingly sinful before God. 14 And God said to Abram after Lot was separated from him, Look up with thine eyes, and behold from the place where thou now art to the north and to the south and to the east and towards the sea; 15 for all the land which thou sees, I will give it to thee and to thy seed forever. 16 And I will make thy seed like the sand of the earth; if any one is able to number the sand of the earth, then shall thy seed be numbered. 17 Arise and traverse the land, both in the length of it and in the breadth; for to thee will I give it, and to thy seed forever. 18 And Abram having removed his tent came and lived by the Oak of Mambre, which was in Hebron, and there he built an altar to the Lord.

*Codex Alexandrinus reads: “where he established his tent.”

*Codex Alexandrinus reads “cattle” instead of “tents.”

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 14

And it came to pass in the reign of Amarphal king of Sennaar, and Arioch king of Ellahsar, that Hodollogomor king of Elam, and Thargal king of nations, 2 made war with Balla king of Sodom, and with Barsa king of Gomorrah, and with Sennaar king of Adama, and with Symobor king of Seboim and the king of Balak, (this is Segor). 3 All these met with one consent at the valley of salt, (this is the sea of salt). 4 Twelve years they served Hodollogomor, and the thirteenth year they revolted. 5 And in the fourteenth year came Hodollogomor, and the kings with him, and cut to pieces the giants in Astaroth, and Karnain, and strong nations with them, and the Ommaeans in the city Savve. 6 And the Horrhaeans in the mountains of Seir, to the turpentine tree of Pharan, which is in the wilderness. 7 And having turned back they came to the Well of Judgment, (this is Kades) and they cut to pieces all the rulers of Amalek, and the Amorites living in Asasonthamar.
                            8 And the king of Sodom went out, and the king of Gomorrah, and king of Adama, and king of Seboim, and king of Balak, (this is Segor) and they set themselves in array against them for war in the Valley of Salt, 9 against Hodollogomor king of Elaan, and Thargal king of nations and Amarphal king of Sennaar, and Arioch king of Ellasar, the four kings against the five. 10 Now the valley of salt consists of slime-pits. And the king of Sodom and the king of Gomorrah fled, and they fell in there, and they that were left fled to the mountains. 11 And they took all the cavalry of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their provisions, and departed. 12 And they took also Lot the son of Abram's brother, and his baggage, and departed, for he lived in Sodom. 13 And one of them that had been rescued came and told Abram the emigrant, and he lived by the Oak of Mambre the Amorite the brother of Eschol, and the brother of Aunan, who were confederates with Abram. 14 And Abram having heard that Lot his nephew had been taken captive numbered his own home born slaves three hundred and eighteen, and pursued after * them to Dan. 15 And he came up on them by night, he and his slaves, and he smote them and pursued them as far as Hoba, which is on the left of Damascus. 16 And he recovered all the cavalry of Sodom, and he recovered Lot his nephew, and all his possessions, and the women and the people. 17 And the king of Sodom went out to meet him, after he returned from the slaughter of Hodollogomor, and the kings with him, to the valley of Saby (this was the plain of the kings). 18 And Melchisedek king of Salem brought forth loaves and wine, and he was the priest of the Most-High God. 19 And he blessed Abram, and said, Blessed be Abram of the Most-High God, who made heaven and earth, 20 and blessed be the Most-High God who delivered thine enemies into thy * power. And Abram gave him a tenth of all. 21 And the king of Sodom said to Abram, Give me the men and take the cavalry to you. 22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I will stretch out my hand to the Lord the Most-High God, who made the heaven and the earth, 23 and I will not take from all thy goods from a string to a shoe-latchet, lest thou should say, I have made Abram rich. 24 Except what things the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men that went with me, Eshol, Aunan, Mambre, these shall I take a portion.

* The July vesper reading from the Greek Menaion and Prophetologion for Genesis Chapter Fourteen, verse fourteen reads: “enemies”, and verse twenty reads: “hand”.

Comment

Genesis (LXX)

Chapter 15

And after these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram, I shield thee, thy reward shall be very great. 2 And Abram said, Master and Lord, what will thou give me? Whereas I am departing without a child, but for the son of Masek my home-born female slave, this Eliezer of Damascus. 3 And Abram said, since thou have given me no seed, my home born slave should be my heir. 4 And immediately there was a voice of the Lord to him, saying, This shall not be thine heir but he that shall come out of thee shall be thine heir. 5 And He brought him out and said to him; Look up now to the sky and count the stars, if thou shall be able to number them fully, and He said, Thus shall thy seed be. 6 And Abram believed God, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness. 7 And He said to him, I am the God that brought thee out of the land of the Chaldeans, so as to give thee this land as an inheritance. 8 And he said, Master and Lord, how should I know that I should inherit it? 9 And he said to him, Take for me a heifer in her third year, and a she-goat in her third year, and a ram in his third year, and a dove and a pigeon. 10 So he took to him all these, and divided them in the midst, and set them opposite to each other, but the birds he did not divide. 11 And birds came down upon the bodies, even upon the divided parts of them, and Abram sat down by them. 12 And about sunset a trance fell upon Abram, and, behold a great dark terror fell upon him. 13 And it was said to Abram, Thou shall surely know that thy seed shall be a wanderer in a land not their own, and they shall enslave them, and afflict them, and humble them for four hundred years. 14 And the nation, whomever they shall serve, I will judge; and after this, they shall come forth hither with much property. 15 But thou shall depart to thy fathers in peace, nourished in a good old age. 16 And in the fourth generation they shall return hither, for the sins of the Amorites are not yet filled up, even until now. 17 And when the sun was about to set, there was a flame, and behold a smoking furnace and lamps of fire, which passed between these divided pieces. 18 In that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, To thy seed I will give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river Euphrates. 19 The Kenites, and the Kenezites, and the Kedmoneans, 20 and the Hettites, and the Pherezites, and the Raphaim, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Evites, and the Gergesites and the Jebusites.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X