Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible, II Kingdoms (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Orthodox Bible, II Kingdoms (LXX)

The Book of
    II Kingdoms

Chapter 1

And it came to pass after Saul was dead, that David returned from smiting Amalek, and David stayed two days in Sekelak. 2 And it came to pass on the third day, that, behold, a man came from the camp, from the people of Saul, and his garments were torn, and earth was upon his head; and it came to pass when he went in to David, that he fell upon the earth, and did obeisance to him. 3 And David said to him, From where does thou come? And he said to him, I have escaped out of the camp of Israel. 4 And David said to him, What is this word? Tell me. And he said, The people fled out of the battle, and many of the people have fallen and are dead, and Saul and Jonathan his son are dead. 5 And David said to the young man who was reporting this to him, How does thou know that Saul and Jonathan his son are dead? 6 And the young man who was telling him said, I happened accidentally to be upon Mount Gelboue; and, behold, Saul was leaning upon his spear, and, behold, the chariots and captains of horse pressed hard upon him. 7 And he looked behind him, and saw me, and called me; and I said, Behold, here am I. 8 And he said to me, Who art thou? And I said, I am an Amalekite. 9 And he said to me, Stand, I pray thee, over me, and kill me, for a dreadful darkness has come upon me, for all my life is in me. 10 So I stood over him and killed him, because I knew he would not live after he had fallen; and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was upon his arm, and I have brought them hither to my lord. 11 And David laid hold of his garments, and tore them; and all the men who were with him tore their garments. 12 And they lamented, and wept, and fasted till evening, for Saul and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of Judah, and for the house of Israel, because they were smitten with the sword. 13 And David said to the young man who had told him these things, Whence art thou? And he said, I am the son of an Amalekite traveler. 14 And David said to him, How was it thou were not afraid to lift thy hand to destroy the anointed of the Lord? 15 And David called one of his young men, and said, Go and fall upon him, and he struck him down, and he died. 16 And David said to him, Thy blood is upon thine own head; for thy mouth has testified against thee, saying, I have put to death the anointed of the Lord. 17 And David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son. 18 And he gave orders to teach it the sons of Judah; behold, it is written in the Book of the Upright. 19 Set up a pillar, O Israel, for the wounded that have died upon thy high places! How the mighty have fallen! 20 Tell it not in Geth, and proclaim it not in the streets of Askalon, lest the daughters of the * Philistines rejoice, lest the daughters of the uncircumcised exult. 21 Ye mountains of Gelbue, let neither dew nor rain descend upon you, nor fields of first fruits be upon you, for there the shield of the mighty ones has been grievously assailed; the shield of Saul was not anointed with oil. 22 From the blood of the wounded, and from the fat of the mighty, the bow of Jonathan returned not empty; and the sword of Saul turned not back empty. 23 Saul and Jonathan, the beloved and the beautiful, were not divided: comely were they in their life and in their death they were not divided; they were swifter than eagles, and they were stronger than lions. 24 Daughters of Israel, weep for Saul, who clothed you with scarlet together with your adorning, who added golden ornaments to your apparel. 25 How the mighty have fallen in the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, even the wounded ones upon thy high places! 26 I am grieved for thee, my brother Jonathan; thou were very lovely to me; thy love to me was wonderful beyond the love of women. 27 How the mighty have fallen, and the weapons of war perished!

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 2

And it came to pass after this that David enquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go up into one of the cities of Judah? And the Lord said to him, Go up. And David said, Whither shall I go up? And he said, To Hebron. 2 And David went up thither to Hebron, he and both his wives, Achinoom the Jezraelite, and Abigaia the wife of Nabal the Carmelite, 3 and the men that were with him, every one and his family; and they lived in the cities of Hebron. 4 And the men of Judea came, and anointed David there to reign over the house of Judah; and they reported to David, saying, The men of Jabis of Galaaditis have buried Saul. 5 And David sent messengers to the rulers of Jabis of Galaaditis, and David said to them, Blessed be ye of the Lord, because ye have performed this mercy toward your lord, even toward Saul the anointed of the Lord, and ye have buried him and Jonathan his son. 6 And now may the Lord deal in mercy and truth towards you, and I also will requite towards you this good deed, because ye have done this. 7 And now let your hands be made strong, and become mighty sons; for your master Saul is dead, and moreover the house of Judah has anointed me to be king over them. 8 But Abenner, the son of Ner, the commander-in-chief of Saul, took Jebosthe son of Saul, and brought him up from the camp to Manaem, 9 and made him king over Galaaditis, and over Thasiri, and over Jezrael, and over Ephraim, and over Benjamin, and over all Israel. 10 Jebosthe, Saul’s son was forty years old, when he reigned over Israel; and he reigned two years, but not over the house of Judah, who followed David. 11 And the days which David reigned in Hebron over the house of Judah were seven years and six months. 12 And Abenner the son of Ner went forth, and the servants of Jebosthe the son of Saul, from Manaem to Gabaon. 13 And Joab the son of Sarouia, and the servants of David, went forth from Hebron, and met them at the well of Gabaon, at the same place; and these sat down by the well on this side, and those by the well on that side. 14 And Abenner said to Joab, Let now the young men arise, and have a game before us. And Joab said, Let them arise. 15 And there arose and passed by, to the number of twelve of the servants of Benjamin, belonging to Jebosthe the son of Saul, and twelve of the servants of David. 16 And they seized every one the head of his neighbor with his hand, and his dagger was thrust into the side of his neighbor, and they fall down together; and the name of that place was called the Portion of the Plotters, which is in Gabaon. 17 And the battle was very severe on that day; and Abenner and the men of Israel failed before the servants of David. 18 And there were there the three sons of Sarouia, Joab, and Abessa, and Asael; and Asael was swift in his feet as a gazelle in the field. 19 And Asael followed after Abenner, and turned not to go to the right hand or to the left from following Abenner. 20 And Abenner looked behind him, and said, Art thou Asael himself? And he said, I am. 21 And Abenner said to him, Turn thou to the right hand or to the left and lay hold for thyself on one of the young men, and take to thyself his armor, but Asael would not turn back from following him. 22 And Abenner said yet again to Asael, Withdraw from me, lest I strike thee to the ground? And how should I lift up my face to Joab? 23 And what does this mean? Return to Joab thy brother? But he would not withdraw; and Abenner struck him with the butt of his spear in the loins, and the spear went out behind him, and he fell there and died under him. And it came to pass that every one that came to the place where Asael fell and died, stood still. 24 And Joab and Abessa pursued after Abenner, and the sun went down, and they went as far as the hill of Amman, which is before Gai on the way to the wilderness of Gabaon. 25 And the sons of Benjamin who followed Abenner gather themselves together, and they formed themselves into one band, and stood on the top of a hill. 26 And Abenner called Joab, and said, Shall the broadsword devour unto victory? Dost thou not know that in the end it will be bitter? How long then will thou refuse to tell the people to turn from following our brothers? 27 And Joab said, As the Lord lives, if thou had not spoken, even from the morning the people had gone up every one from following his brother. 28 And Joab trumpeted the trumpet, and all the people departed, and did not pursue after Israel, and did not fight any longer. 29 And Abenner and his men departed at evening, and went all that night, and crossed over Jordan, and went along the whole extent of the country, and they came to the camp. 30 And Joab returned from following Abenner, and he assembled all the people, and there was noted missing of the servants of David, nineteen men, and Asael. 31 And the servants of David struck down of the sons of Benjamin, of the men of Abenner, three hundred and sixty men belonging to him. 32 And they took up Asael, and buried him in the tomb of his father in Bethlehem. And Joab and the men with him went the entire night, and the morning rose upon them in Hebron.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 3

And there was war for a long time between the house of Saul and between the house of David, and the house of David grew continually stronger, but the house of Saul grew continually weaker. 2 And * sons were born to David in Hebron, and his firstborn was Amnon by Achinoom the Jezraelite. 3 And his second was Dalouia by Abigaia the Carmelite, and the third, Abessalom the son of Maacha the daughter of Tholmi the King of Gesir, 4 and the fourth was Ornia, the son of Pheggith, and the fifth was Sabatia by Abital, 5 and the sixth was Jetheraam by Aigla the wife of David. These were born to David in Hebron. 6 And it came to pass while there was war between the house of Saul and between the house of David, that Abenner was governing the house of Saul. 7 And Saul had a concubine, Respha, the daughter of Jol, and * Jebosthe the son of Saul said to Abenner, Why has thou gone in to my father’s concubine? 8 And Abenner was very angry with * Jebosthe for this saying, and Abenner said to him, Am I a dog’s head? I have this day wrought kindness with the house of Saul thy father, and with his brothers and friends, and have not gone over to the house of David, and dost thou this day seek a charge against me concerning an injustice to a woman? 9 God do thus and more also to Abenner, if as the Lord swore to David, so do I not to him this day; 10 to take away the kingdom from the house of Saul, and to raise up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah from Dan to Bersabee. 11 And * Jebosthe could not any longer answer Abenner a word, because he feared him. 12 And Abenner sent messengers to David to Thailam where he was, immediately, saying, Make thy covenant with me, and, behold, my hand is with thee to bring back to thee the entire house of Israel. 13 And David said, Well, I will make with thee a covenant, but I only demand one condition of thee, saying, Thou shall never see my face, unless thou bring Melchol the daughter of Saul, when thou comes to see my face. 14 And David sent messengers to * Jebosthe the son of Saul, saying, Restore me my wife Melchol, whom I took for a hundred foreskins of the * Philistines. 15 And * Jebosthe sent, and took her from her husband, even from Phaltiel the son of Selles. 16 And her husband went with her weeping behind her as far as Barakim, and Abenner said to him, Go, return, and he returned. 17 And Abenner spoke to the elders of Israel, saying, Yesterday and the third day ye sought David to reign over you; 18 and now act, for the Lord has spoken concerning David, saying, By the hand of My servant David I will save Israel out of the hand of the * Philistines, and out of the hand of all their enemies. 19 And Abenner spoke in the ears of Benjamin; and Abenner went to speak in the ears of David at Hebron, all that seemed good in the eyes of Israel and in the eyes of the house of Benjamin. 20 And Abenner came to David to Hebron, and with him twenty men. And David made a banquet for Abenner and his men who were with him. 21 And Abenner said to David, I will arise now, and go, and gather to my lord the king all Israel; and I will make with him a covenant, and thou shall reign over all whom thy soul desires. And David sent away Abenner, and he departed in peace. 22 And, behold, the servants of David and Joab arrived from their raid, and they brought much spoil with them, and Abenner was not with David in Hebron, because he had sent him away, and he had departed in peace. 23 And Joab and all his army came, and it was reported to Joab, saying, Abenner the son of Ner has come to David, and he has let him go, and he has departed in peace. 24 And Joab went in to the king, and said, What is this that thou have done? Behold, Abenner came to thee; and why did thou let him go, and he has departed in peace? 25 Do you not know the wickedness of Abenner the son of Ner, that he came to deceive thee, and to know thy going out and thy coming in, and to know all things that thou do? 26 And Joab returned from David, and sent messengers to Abenner after him, and they brought him back from the well of Seiram; but David knew it not. 27 And he brought back Abenner to Hebron, and Joab caused him to turn aside from the gate to speak to him, laying in wait for him; and he stabbed him there in the loins, and he died for the blood of Asael, the brother of Joab. 28 And David heard of it afterwards, and said, I and my kingdom are guiltless before the Lord even forever of the blood of Abenner the son of Ner. 29 Let it fall upon the head of Joab, and upon all the house of his father; and let the house of Joab never be without one that has a discharge, or a leper, or that holds a crutch, or that falls by the broadsword, or that lacks bread. 30 For Joab and Abessa his brother laid in wait continually for Abenner, because he killed Asael their brother at Gabaon in the battle. 31 And David said to Joab and to all the people with him, Tear your garments, and gird yourselves with sackcloth, and lament before Abenner. And King David walked * behind the bier. 32 And they buried Abenner in Hebron, and the king lifted up his voice, and wept at his grave, and all the people wept for Abenner. 33 And the king mourned over Abenner, and said, Shall Abenner die according to the death of Nabal? 34 Thy hands were not bound, and thy feet were not put in shackles; thou did not lead as Nabal; thou did fall before sons of iniquity. 35 And all the people assembled to weep for him. And all the people came to cause David to eat bread while it was yet day, and David swore, saying, God do so to me, and more also, if I eat bread or any thing else before the sun goes down. 36 And all the people knew, and all the things that the king did before the people were pleasing before them. 37 So all the people and all Israel perceived in that day, that it was not of the king to kill Abenner the son of Ner. 38 And the king said to his servants, Know ye not that a great leader has this day fallen in Israel? 39 And that I am this day a mere kinsman of his, even though I am appointed as king; but these men, the sons of Sarouia, are too callous for me; the Lord rewards the evil-doer according to his wickedness.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “six”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Memphibosthe”. The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Isboseth”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Memphibosthe”. The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Isboseth”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “before”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 4

And * Jebosthe the son of Saul heard that Abenner the son of Ner had died in Hebron; and his hands were weakened, and all the men of Israel grew faint. 2 And * Jebosthe the son of Saul had two men that were captains of bands; the name of the one was Baana, and the name of the second was Rechab, sons of Remmon the Berothite of the sons of Benjamin; for Beroth was reckoned to the sons of Benjamin. 3 And the Berothites ran away to Geththaim, and were living there as foreigners until this day. 4 And Jonathan, Saul’s son, had a son injured in the feet, a son of five years old, when the news of Saul and Jonathan his son came from Jezrael, and his nurse picked him up, and fled; and it came to pass that as she hasted and withdrew, that he fell, and became lame. And his name was Memphibosthe. 5 And Rekcha and Baana, the sons of Remmon the Berothite went, and they came in the heat of the day into the house of * Jebosthe, and he was sleeping on a bed at noon. 6 And, behold, the porter of the house winnowed wheat, and he slumbered and slept, and the brothers Rekcha and Baana escaped notice, 7 and entered into the house, and * Jebosthe was lying on his couch in his bedchamber, and they struck him, and killed him, and took off his head; and they took his head, and went the whole night by the western road. 8 And they brought the head of * Jebosthe to David at Hebron, and they said to the king, Behold the head of * Jebosthe the son of Saul thy enemy, who sought thy life; and the Lord has given my lord and king vengeance on his enemies, as it is this day, even on Saul thy enemy, and on his offspring. 9 And David answered Rekcha and Baana his brother, the sons of Remmon the Berothite, and said to them, As the Lord lives, who has redeemed my soul out of all affliction; 10 he that reported to me that Saul was dead, even he was as one bringing good news before me, but I seized him and killed him in Sekelak, to whom I ought, as he thought, to have given a reward for his good news. 11 And now evil men have killed a righteous man in his house upon his own bed! Now then I shall require his blood at your hand, and I shall destroy you from off the earth. 12 And David commanded his young men, and they killed them, and cut off their hands and their feet; and they hung them up at the well in Hebron, and they buried the head of * Jebosthe in the tomb of Abenner the son of Ner.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 5

And all the tribes of Israel come to David to Hebron, and they said to him, Behold, we are thy bone and thy flesh. 2 And yesterday and the third day, while Saul was king over us, it was you that led out and brought in Israel, and the Lord said to thee, Thou shall tend My people Israel, and thou shall become a ruler over My people Israel. 3 And all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord; and they anoint David king over all Israel. 4 David was a son of thirty years of age when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. 5 Seven years and six months he reigned at Hebron over Judah, and thirty-three years he reigned over all Israel and Judah at Jerusalem. 6 And David and his men departed to Jerusalem against the Jebusite that inhabited the land. And it was said to David, Thou shall not come in here; for even the blind and the lame withstood him, saying, David shall not come in here. 7 And David took the stronghold of Zion (this is the city of David). 8 And David said on that day, Everyone that strikes down the Jebusite, let him attack with the dagger both the lame and the blind, and those that hate the soul of David. Therefore they say, The lame and the blind shall not enter into the house of the Lord. 9 And David dwelt in the stronghold, and it was called the city of David, and he built the city itself all around from the citadel, and his own house. 10 And David advanced and became great, and the Lord Almighty was with him. 11 And Hiram King of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar wood, and carpenters, and stone-masons, and they built a house for David. 12 And David knew that the Lord had prepared him to be king over Israel, and that his kingdom was exalted for the sake of his people Israel. 13 And David took again wives and concubines out of Jerusalem, after he came from Hebron, and David had still more sons and daughters born to him. 14 And these are the names of those that were born to him in Jerusalem: Sammus, and Sobab, and Nathan, and Solomon. 15 And Ebear, and Elisue, and Naphek, and Jephies, 16 and Elisama, and Elidae, and Eliphalath, Samae, Jessibath, Nathan, Galamaan, Jebaar, Theesus, Eliphalat, Naged, Naphek, Jonathan, Leasamys, Baalimath, Eliphaath. 17 And the * Philistines heard that David was anointed king over Israel; and all the * Philistines went up to seek David; and David heard of it, and went down into the stronghold. 18 And the * Philistines came, and assembled in the Valley of the Titans. 19 And David enquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go up against the * Philistines? And will Thou deliver them into my hands? And the Lord said to David, Go up, for I will surely deliver the * Philistines into thine hands. 20 And David came from the upper breaches, and cut down the * Philistines there, and David said, The Lord has cut down my enemies the * Philistines before me, like water is dispersed; therefore the name of that place was called the Upper Breaches. 21 And they abandoned there their gods, and David and his men with him took them. 22 And the * Philistines proceeded yet again to ascend, and assembled for battle in the Valley of the Titans. 23 And David enquired of the Lord, and the Lord said, Thou shall not go up to meet them! Turn from them, and thou shall meet them near the Place of Weeping. 24 And it shall come to pass when thou hear the sound of a clashing together from the Grove of weeping, then thou shall go down to them, for then the Lord shall go forth before thee to strike in the battle with the * Philistines. 25 And David did as the Lord commanded him, and he struck down the * Philistines from Gabaon as far as the land of Gazera.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 6

And David again gathered all the young men of Israel, about * seventy thousand. 2 And David arose, and went, he and all the people that were with him, and some of the rulers of Judah, on an ascension to bring up from there the Ark of God, on which the name of the Lord of * Hosts, Who sits between the cherubim, upon her is called. 3 And they placed the Ark of the Lord on a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Aminadab which was on the hill, and Oza and his brothers, the sons of Aminadab, led the cart 4 with the Ark, and his brothers went before the Ark. 5 And David and * the sons of Israel were playing before the Lord on well-tuned instruments, with strength, and with songs, and with harps, and with lutes, and with drums, and with cymbals, and with flutes. 6 And they came as far as the threshing floor of * Nachor, and * Oza stretched forth his hand to the Ark of God to keep it steady, and took hold of it; for the ox shook it out of its place. 7 And the Lord was very angry with * Oza, and God struck him down there *, and he died there by the Ark of the Lord before God. 8 And David was disheartened because the Lord broke out with an outburst against * Oza; and that place was called the Outburst against * Oza until this day. 9 And David feared the Lord in that day, saying, How shall the Ark * of the Lord come in to me? 10 And David was no longer willing to bring in the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord to himself into the city of David, and David turned her aside into the house of * Abeddara the Geththite. 11 And the Ark of the Lord stayed in the house of * Abeddara the Geththite for three months, and the Lord blessed the entire house of * Abeddara, and all his possessions. 12 And it was reported to King David, saying, The Lord has blessed the house of * Abeddara, and all that he has, because of the Ark of God. And David went, and brought up the Ark of the Lord from out of the house of * Abeddara into the city of David with gladness. 13 And there were with him carrying the Ark seven bands, and for a sacrifice a calf and lambs. 14 And David played music with well-tuned instruments before the Lord, and David was clothed with a fine robe. 15 And David and all the house of Israel brought up the Ark of the Lord with shouting, and with the sound of a trumpet. 16 And it came to pass as the Ark arrived at the city of David that Melchol the daughter of Saul looked through the window, and saw King David dancing * and playing music before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart. 17 And they brought the Ark of the Lord, and set it in its place in the midst of the tabernacle which David pitched for it, and David offered whole burnt offerings, and peace offerings before the Lord. 18 And David finished offering up the whole burnt offerings and peace offerings, and blessed the people in the name of the Lord of Hosts. 19 And he distributed to all the people, even to all the host of Israel from Dan to Bersabee, from man to women, to every one a loaf of bread and a portion of roasted bread, and a cake from the frying-pan, and all the people went back, every one to his own home. 20 And David returned to bless his household. And Melchol the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and blessed him, and said, How the king of Israel has honored himself this day, who exposed himself today in the eyes of his own servants’ handmaids, as one of the disrobed dancers exposes himself! 21 And David said to Melchol, I will dance before the Lord. Blessed be the Lord who chose me over thy father, and over his entire house, to make me as a leader over His people, even over Israel; therefore I will play, and dance before the Lord. 22 And I will again expose myself thus, and I will be useless in thine eyes, and with the handmaids by whom thou said that I was not held in honor. 23 And Melchol the daughter of Saul had no child till the day of her death.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “thirty thousand”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sabaoth”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “all”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Nodab”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Azza”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Azzan”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “for this carelessness”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “of God”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Obed-Edom the Gethite”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Obed-Edom the Gethite”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Obed-Edom”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX adds: “and carrying on…”

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 7

And it came to pass, when the king sat in his house, and the Lord had given him * an inheritance on every side from all his enemies who were all around him, 2 that the king said to Nathan the prophet, Behold, indeed, I live in a house of cedar, and the Ark of God dwells in the midst of the tent. 3 And Nathan said to the king, Go, and do all that is in thine heart, for the Lord is with thee. 4 And it came to pass in that night, that the word of the Lord came to Nathan, saying, 5 Go, and say to My servant David, Thus says the Lord, Thou shall not build Me a house for Me to live in. 6 For I have not lived in a house from the day that I brought up the sons of Israel from out of Egypt to this day, for I have been walking about in a temporary dwelling and in a tent, 7 in all the places that I have went among all of Israel. In speaking have I ever spoken to any of the tribes of Israel, in whom I commanded to tend My people Israel, saying, Why have ye not built Me a house of Cedar? 8 And now thus shall thou say to my servant David, Thus says the Lord Almighty, I took thee from the sheepfold, for you to be a leader for My people, for Israel. 9 And I was with thee wherever thou went, and I destroyed all thine enemies before thee, and I made thee renowned like the name of the great ones who are upon the earth. 10 And I will appoint a place for My people Israel, and will plant them, and they shall live by themselves, and shall no longer be distressed; and the son of iniquity shall no more afflict them, as he has done from the beginning, 11 from the days when I appointed judges over My people Israel; and I will give thee rest from all thine enemies, and the Lord will tell thee that * thou shall build a house for Him. 12 And it shall come to pass when thy days shall have been fulfilled, and thou shall sleep with thy fathers, that I will raise up thy seed after thee, Who shall issue forth from thy * very depths, and I will establish His kingdom. 13 He shall build for Me a house to My name, and I will establish His throne forever. 14 I will be to Him a father, and he shall be to me a son. And if iniquities come upon Him, then will I chastise Him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the sons of men. 15 But My mercy I will not take from Him, as I took it from * those whom I removed from before My face. 16 And His house shall be made sure, and His kingdom forever before Me, and His throne shall be established forever. 17 According to all these words, and according to all this vision, thus Nathan spoke to David. 18 And King David came in, and sat before the Lord, and said, Who am I, my Lord, O Lord, and what is my house, that thou has loved me hitherto? 19 Whereas it was very little before Thee, my Lord, O Lord, yet thou spoke concerning the house of thy servant at length, but this is the law of man, my Lord, O Lord? 20 And what more shall David yet say to thee? And now thou know thy servant, my Lord, O Lord. 21 On account of your word Thou have acted, and according to thy heart thou have wrought all this greatness, to make it known to thy servant, 22 that he may magnify Thee, * my Lord, O Lord; for there is no one like Thee, and there is no god besides Thee among all of whom we have heard with our ears. 23 And what other nation in the earth is like thy people Israel? Whereas God was their guide, to redeem for himself a people to make thee a name, to do mightily and with grandeur, so that thou should cast out nations and their tabernacles from before the face of thy people, whom thou did redeem for thyself out of Egypt! 24 And thou prepared for thyself thy people Israel to be a people forever, and You, O Lord, became their God. 25 And now, my Lord, O Lord, the word which thou have spoken concerning thy servant and his house, confirm it forever, * O Lord Almighty, O God of Israel, * and now as thou have said, 26 Let Thy name be magnified forever. 27 O Lord Almighty, O God * of Israel, Thou have uncovered the ear of thy servant, saying, I will build thee a house; therefore Thy servant has found his own heart to pray this prayer to Thee. 28 And now, my Lord, * O Lord, Thou art God, and Thy words will be true, and Thou have spoken these good things concerning Thy servant. 29 And now begin, and bless the house of Thy servant, that it may exist forever before Thee, for Thou exist, my Lord, O Lord; Thou have spoken, and from thy blessing the house of thy servant shall be blessed forever.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “rest”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “He shall build a dynastic house for thee”.

* Literally: “belly”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Saul, whom I removed from before thy face. 16 And thy house shall be made sure, and thy kingdom forever before Me, and thy throne shall be established forever”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “O Lord, my Lord”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits: “O Lord Almighty, O God of Israel”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “and as thou have said, do!”

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “over”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits: “O Lord”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 8

And it came to pass after this that David struck down the * Philistines, and put them to flight and David took the * tribute from out of the hand of the * Philistines. 2 And David struck down Moab, and measured them off with ropes, having laid them down on the ground, and * there were the two ropes for killing, and the two ropes for them which he kept alive, and Moab became slaves to David, yielding tribute. 3 And David struck down * Adraazar the son of Raab, the King of Souba, as he went to establish his hand to the river Euphrates. 4 And David appropriated a thousand of his chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand men on foot, and David rendered inoperative all the chariots and he reserved to himself a hundred chariots. 5 And Syria of Damascus came to help * Adraazar the King of Souba, and David struck down twenty-two thousand men belonging to the Syrian. 6 And David placed a garrison in Syria, which was at Damascus, and the Syrians became slaves bearing tribute to David. And the Lord preserved David wherever he went. 7 And David took the golden bracelets which were on the servants of Adraazar, the King of Souba, and brought them to Jerusalem; * and Sousakim, the King of Egypt took them, when he went up to Jerusalem in the days of * Roboam, the son of Solomon. 8 And King David took from * Masbak, and from the choice cities of * Adraazar, very much bronze; * with that Solomon made the bronze sea, and the pillars, and the wash-basins, and all the vessels.
                9 And Thoou, the King of Hemath heard that David had struck down the entire force of * Adraazar. 10 And Thoou sent Jedduram his son to King David, to ask him of matters concerning peace, and to bless him because he fought against * Adraazar and struck him down, for he was an enemy to * Adraazar, and in his hands were vessels of silver, and vessels of gold, and vessels of bronze. 11 And these things King David consecrated to the Lord, with the silver and with the gold which he consecrated from all the cities which he had subdued, 12 from Idumea, and from Moab, and from the sons of Ammon, and from the * Philistines, and from Amalek, and from the spoils of * Adraazar, the son of * Raab, the King of Souba. 13 And David made a name for himself, and when he returned he struck down Idumea in * Gebelem to the number of eighteen thousand. 14 And he put garrisons in Idumea, even in all Idumea, and all the Idumeans became slaves to * the King. And the Lord preserved David wherever he went. 15 And David reigned over * all Israel, and David wrought judgment and justice over all his people. 16 And Joab the son of Sarouia was over the army, and Josaphat the son of * Achiad was over the records. 17 And * Sadouk the son of Achitob, and Achimelech the son of Abiathar, were priests; and * Asa was the scribe, 18 and Banaias the son of * Jodae was counselor, and the Chelethite and the Phelethite, and the sons of David, were the chiefs of the court.

* Literally: “Set aside for” or “designated for”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “there were the two ropes for killing, and the fullness of the third rope for them which he kept alive”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Adraezer”.

* The LXX includes this phrase at the end of v. 7 that is not found in the MT. This Greek reading now finds Hebrew support in 4QSama of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Jeroboam”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Masbach”; the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Batak”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “with that Solomon made the bronze sea, and the pillars, and the wash-basins, and all the vessels”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Raaph”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Geimala”; Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “Gaimele”; Origen’s LXX recension reads: “Gemela”; Lucian’s LXX recension reads: “Gemelech”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “David”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “all”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Acheia”; Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Achimelech”; the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Achiloud”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Saddouk”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Saraias”; the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sareas”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Janak”; the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Joiada”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 9

And David said, Is there yet any one left in the house of Saul that I may deal mercifully with him for Jonathan’s sake? 2 And there was a servant of the house of Saul, and his name was Siba, and they call him to David. And the king said to him, Art thou Siba? And he said, I am thy slave. 3 And the king said, Is there yet a man left of the house of Saul that I may act towards him with the mercy of God? And Siba said to the king, There is still a son of Jonathan, injured of the feet. 4 And the king said, Where is he? And Siba said to the king, Behold, he is in the house of Machir, the son of Amiel of * Ladabar. 5 And King David went, and took him from out of the house of Machir, the son of Amiel of * Ladabar. 6 And Memphibosthe, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, came to King David, and he fell upon his face and did obeisance to him. And David said to him, Memphibosthe, and he said, Behold thy slave. 7 And David said to him, Do not be afraid, for I will surely deal mercifully with thee for the sake of Jonathan thy father, and I will * restore to thee all the fields of Saul, the father of thy father; and thou shall eat bread at my table always. 8 And Memphibosthe did obeisance, and said, Who am I, thy slave, that thou have looked upon a dead dog like me? 9 And the king called Siba, the servant of Saul, and said to him, All that belonged to Saul and to his entire house I have given to the son of thy master. 10 And thou, and thy sons, and thy slaves, shall work the land for him; and thou shall bring in bread to the son of thy master, and he shall eat it; and Memphibosthe, the son of thy master, shall always eat bread at my table. (And Siba had fifteen sons and twenty slaves). 11 And Siba said to the king, According to all that my lord the king has commanded his slave, so will thy slave do. And Memphibosthe did eat at the table of David, as one of the sons of the king. 12 And Memphibosthe had a small son, and his name was Micha. And the entire household of Siba’s house became slaves to Memphibosthe. 13 And Memphibosthe lived in Jerusalem, for he always ate at the table of the king, and he was lame in both of his feet.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Labadari”; the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Lodabar”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Lodabar”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “give back”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “to him”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 10

And it came to pass after this, that the king of the sons of Ammon died, and Annon his son reigned in his stead. 2 And David said, I will act mercifully to Annon the son of Naas, just as his father dealt mercifully with me. And David sent to comfort him concerning his father by the hand of his slaves; and the * servants of David came into the land of the sons of Ammon. 3 And the rulers of the sons of Ammon said to Annon their master, Is David truly glorifying thy father before thee when he sends comforters to thee? Is it not that they should search out the city and to spy on her and to survey her that David has sent his servants to thee? 4 And Annon seized the servants of David, and shaved their beards, and cut off their robes in half up to their hips, and sent them away. 5 And they brought David word concerning the men; and he sent to meet them, for the men were greatly dishonored, and the king said, Remain in Jericho until your beards have grown, and then ye shall return. 6 And the sons of Ammon saw that the people of David were disgraced, and the sons of Ammon sent and hired * the Syrians of Baithraam, and the Syrians of Souba, numbering twenty thousand foot soldiers, and the King of Maacha, with one thousand men, and Istob, with twelve thousand men. 7 And David heard, and sent Joab and the entire army, even the mighty men. 8 And the sons of Ammon went forth, and prepared for battle by the door of the gate; those of the Syrians of Souba, and the men of Roob, and those Istob, and of Amalek, were by themselves in the open * plain. 9 And Joab saw that the front of the battle was against him both in front and from behind, and he chose from all the young men of Israel, and arrayed them opposite Syria. 10 And the rest of the people he gave into the hand of Abessa his brother, and he arrayed them opposite the sons of Ammon. 11 And he said, If Syria is too strong for me, then ye shall rescue me, and if the sons of Ammon are too strong for thee, then we will come to rescue thee. 12 Be thou courageous, and let us be strong for our people, and for the sake of the cities of our God, and the Lord shall do that which is good in His eyes. 13 And Joab and his people with him advanced to battle against Syria, and they fled from before his face. 14 And the sons of Ammon saw that the Syrians had fled, and they fled from before the face of Abessa, and entered into the city. And Joab returned from the sons of Ammon, and came to Jerusalem. 15 And the Syrians saw that they had fallen before Israel, and they gathered themselves together. 16 And Adraazar sent and gathered the Syrians from the other side of the river * Halamak, and they came to Ailam, and Sobak the * captain of the army of Adraazar who was at their head. 17 And it was reported to David, and he gathered all Israel, and crossed the Jordan, and came to Ailam; and the Syrians were arrayed against David, and fought with him. 18 And Syria fled from before the face of Israel, and David destroyed of Syria seven hundred chariots, and forty thousand * horsemen, and struck down Sobak * the captain of their army, and he died there. 19 And all the kings, who were the slaves of Adraazar, saw that they had fallen before Israel, and they went over to Israel *, and they became subject to them. And Syria was afraid to rescue the sons of Ammon ever again.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “slaves”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “the Syrians and the men of Roob, numbering twenty thousand foot soldiers, and the King of Amalek, with one thousand men, and Eistob, with twelve thousand men”; Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “the Syrians of Baithroob, numbering twenty thousand foot soldiers, and the King of Maacha, with one thousand men, and Istob, with twelve thousand men”; Origen’s LXX recension reads: “the Syrians and the men of Roob, and the Syrians of Souba…”; Codex Coislinianus reads: “the Syrians of Baithraab, and the Syrians of Souba…”

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “field”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits: “Halamak”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “general”.

* Lucian’s LXX recension

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “their general and he died there”.

* Lucian’s LXX recension and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text add: “and they instituted a peace pact” or “and they ordained a covenant of peace”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 11

And it came to pass after the year had come around, at the time for the departure of kings for battle that David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel, and they destroyed the sons of Ammon, and they laid siege against Rabbath, but David remained in Jerusalem. 2 And it came to pass toward evening that David arose from his bed, and walked on the roof of the king’s house, and saw from the roof a woman bathing, and the woman was very beautiful in appearance. 3 And David sent and inquired about the woman, and he said, Is this not Beersheba, the daughter of Eliab, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? 4 And David sent messengers, and took her, and he went in to her, and he lay with her, and she was purified from her uncleanness, and returned to her house. 5 And the woman conceived; and she sent word to and told David, and said, I am with child. 6 And David sent word to Joab, saying, Send me Uriah the Hittite; and Joab sent Uriah to David. 7 And Uriah arrived and went in to him, and David asked him about the peace of Joab, and about the peace of the people, and about the peace of the war. 8 And David said to Uriah, Go down to thy house, and wash thy feet. And Uriah departed from the house of the king, and a portion of meat from the king followed him. 9 And Uriah slept * by the door * of the king with the * slaves of his master, and did not go down to his house. 10 And they brought David word, saying, Uriah has not gone down to his house. And David said to Uriah, Have thou not * come from a journey? Why have thou not gone down to thy house? 11 And Uriah said to David, The ark, and Israel and Judah dwell in tents; and my lord Joab, and the slaves of my lord, are encamped on the face of the open field; and shall I go into my house to eat and drink, and lie with my wife? How can I? * As thy soul lives, I will not do such a thing. 12 And David said to Uriah, Remain here also today, and tomorrow I will let send it off. And Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next day. 13 And David summoned him, and he ate before him and drank, and he made him drunk, and he went out in the evening to lie upon his bed with the slaves of his master, and he did not go down to his house. 14 And the morning came, and David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah. 15 And he wrote in the letter, saying, Station Uriah in front of the severe part of the fight, and retreat from behind him, so he will be struck down and die. 16 And it came to pass, while Joab was keeping watch against the city that he assigned Uriah in a place where he knew that the strongest of men were there. 17 And the men of the city went out, and fought with Joab, and some of the people of the slaves of David fell, and even Uriah the Hittite also died. 18 And Joab sent word, and reported to * David all the news of the fighting, * and said all these things to the king. 19 And * he charged the messenger, saying, When thou has completed telling the king all the news of the fighting, 20 and it shall come to pass, if the anger of the king shall arise, and he should say to thee, Why did ye draw near to the city to wage war? Did ye not know that they would shoot from the top of the wall? 21 Who struck down Abimelech, the son of Jerobaal, * the son of Ner? Did not a woman throw a piece of a millstone upon him from the top of the wall, and he died at Thamasi? Why did ye draw near to the wall? Then thou shall say, Thy servant Uriah the Hittite also died. 22 And the messenger of Joab came to the king of Jerusalem, and he came and reported to David all that Joab told him, all the news of the fighting. And David was very angry with Joab, and said to the messenger, Why did ye draw near to the city to fight? Did ye not know that ye would be struck from the top of the wall? Who struck down Abimelech, the son of Jerobaal? Did not a woman throw upon him a piece of millstone from the wall, and he died in Thamasi? Why did ye draw near to the wall? 23 And the messenger said to David, The men prevailed against us, and they came out against us into the field, and we came upon them even to the door of the gate. 24 And the archers shot at thy servants from the top of the wall, and some of the king’s servants died, and thy servant Uriah the Hittite also died. 25 And David said to the messenger, Thus shall thou say to Joab, Do not let this matter be evil in thine eyes, for the * dagger devours now one way time and another way at another; strengthen thine fight against the city, and tear her down, and overpower * her. 26 And the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband had died, and she mourned for her husband. 27 And when the time of mourning expired, then David sent and brought her into his house and she became his wife, and bore him a son. And the thing which David had done appeared evil in the eyes of the Lord.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “in the doorway”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “of the house”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “servants”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “arrived”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “as ye live and as thy soul lives”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “the king”; Codex Vaticanus reads: “King David”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits: “and said all these things to the king”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Joab”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omit: “the son of Ner”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “broadsword”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “him”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “…all the news of the fighting. And David was very angry with Joab, and said to the messenger, Why did ye draw near to the city to fight? Did ye not know that ye would be struck from the top of the wall? Who struck down Abimelech, the son of Jerobaal? Did not a woman throw upon him a piece of millstone from the wall, and he died in Thamasi? Why did ye draw near to the wall”?

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 12

And the Lord sent Nathan the prophet to David, and he went in to him, and said to him, There were two men in one city, one rich and one poor. 2 And the rich man had very many flocks and herds, 3 but the poor man had nothing but one little ewe lamb, which he had purchased, and preserved, and reared her; and it grew up with him and his sons together; it ate of his bread and drank of his cup, and slept in his bosom, and it was like a daughter to him. 4 And a traveler came to the rich man, and he spared to take of his flocks and of his herds, to prepare for the stranger that came to him * as a traveler; and he took the poor man’s ewe lamb, and prepared her for the man that came to him. 5 And David was greatly enraged with anger against the man, and David said to Nathan, As the Lord lives, that the man who did this thing * deserves to die. 6 And he shall restore the ewe lamb * sevenfold, because he did this thing, and because he did not spare. 7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man that has done this! Thus says the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee to be king over Israel, and I rescued thee from out the hand of Saul, 8 and I gave thee the house of thy master, and the wives of thy master into thy bosom, and I gave to thee the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have given thee yet more of these. 9 Why have thou * set at naught the word of the Lord, to do that which is evil in His eyes? Thou have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the broadsword, and thou have taken his wife to be thy wife, and killed him with the broadsword of the sons of Ammon. 10 Now therefore, the broadsword shall never * depart from thy house, even unto forever, because thou have treated Me with contempt, and thou have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite, to be thy wife. 11 Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up against thee disaster out of thy house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and will give them to thy neighbor, and he shall lie with thy wives before the sight of this sun. 12 For thou acted secretly, but I will do this thing before the sight of all Israel, and before the sight of this sun. 13 And David said to Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said to David, And the Lord has * cast aside thy sin; thou shall not die. 14 Except that, in provoking thou have provoked the enemies of the Lord by this thing, thy son who was born to thee shall die by death. 15 And Nathan departed to his house. And the Lord * weakened the child, which the wife of Uriah * the Hittite bore to David, and * he became ill. 16 And David enquired of God concerning the child, and David fasted a fast, and went in * and abided * in sackcloth on the ground. 17 And the elders of his house stood up by him to raise him from the ground, but he was not willing, and he did not eat bread with them. 18 And it came to pass in the seventh day that the child died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child was dead; for they said, Behold, while the child was still alive, we spoke to him, and he did not hearken to our voice, and how can we tell him that the child is dead? For he shall do harm. 19 And David * observed that his servants were whispering, and David perceived that the child was dead, and David said to his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead. 20 Then David rose up from the ground, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his clothes, and he went into the house of God, and did obeisance to Him; and went into his own house, and asked for bread to eat, and they set bread before him and he ate. 21 And his servants said to him, What is this thing that thou have done concerning the child? While he was still living thou fasted, and wept, and kept watch, and when the child died thou rose up, and ate bread, and took a drink. 22 And David said, While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, Who knows if the Lord will have pity on me, and the child will live? 23 But now he is dead. Why should I fast thus? I will not be able to bring him back again? I will go to him, but he shall not return to me. 24 And David consoled Beersheba his wife, and he went in to her, and lay with her; and she conceived and bore a son, and he called his named Solomon. And the Lord loved him. 25 And he sent by the hand of Nathan the prophet, and called his name * Jededi, * for the Lord’s sake. 26 And Joab waged war against * Rabbath of the sons of Ammon, and captured the royal city. 27 And Joab sent messengers to David, and said, I have waged war against Rabbath, and captured * the water supply of the city. 28 And now gather together the rest of the people, and encamp against the city, and be the first to capture her; lest I capture the city first, and my name be called upon her. 29 And David gathered together all the people, and went to Rabbath, and waged war against her, and captured her. 30 And he took the crown of * Molchol their king from off his head, and the weight of it was a talent of gold, with precious stones, and it was upon the head of David; and he brought forth very much spoil of the city. 31 And he brought out the people that were in her, and put them to work under the saw, and to work under the iron thrashing machines, * and axes of iron, and put them through the brick-works; and he did thus to all the cities of the sons of Ammon. And David and all the people returned to Jerusalem.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omit: “as a traveler”.

* Literally: “is a son of death”.

* Lucian’s LXX recension and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “fourfold”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “treated with contempt”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “be removed”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “removed”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “struck down”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta omits: “the Hittite”.

* i.e. “the child”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “lied down”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “in sackcloth”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “beheld” or “saw”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Jdedei”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Eiedidia”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “by the word of the Lord”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Rabath”.

* Literally: “The city of the waters”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Melchol”, Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omit: “Molchol”. It seems that the Septuagint wrongly understood the Hebrew מַלְכָּם (i.e. “their king”) as a proper name, and rendered it as “Melchol”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “and axes of iron”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 13

And it happened after this that Abessalom, the son of David, had a very beautiful sister to behold, and her name was Themar, and Amnon, the son of David, loved her. 2 And Amnon was afflicted even unto sickness, because of Themar his sister, for she was a virgin, and it was very abhorrent in the eyes of Amnon to do anything to her. 3 And Amnon had a friend, and his name was Jonadab, the son of Samaa the brother of David, and Jonadab was a very conniving man. 4 And he said to him, What is the matter with thee that thou art so weak, morning after morning, O son of the king? Will thou not tell me? And Ammon said to him, I love Themar, the sister of my brother Abessalom. 5 And Jonadab said to him, Lie upon thy bed, and act weak, and thy father shall come in to see thee, and thou shall say to him, Let, I pray thee, Themar my sister come, and feed me some morsels, and let her prepare food before my eyes, so that I may see and eat from her hands. 6 So Ammon lay down, and pretended to be sick; and the king came in to see him, and Amnon said to the king, Let, I pray thee, my sister Themar come to me, and bake a couple of cakes in my sight, and I will eat them from her hand. 7 And David sent for Themar to the house, saying, Go now to thy brother’s house, and prepare him food. 8 And Themar went to the house of her brother Amnon, and he was lying down. And she took the dough and kneaded it, and made cakes in his sight, and baked the cakes. 9 And she took the frying pan and emptied them out before him, but he did not want to eat. And Amnon said, Send out every man from about me. And they removed every man from about him. 10 And Amnon said to Themar, Bring the food into the bed chamber, and I will eat from thy hand. And Themar took the cakes which she had made, and brought them to her brother Amnon, into the bed chamber. 11 And she brought them to him to eat, and he caught hold of her, and said to her, Come, lie with me, my sister. 12 And she said to him, No, my brother, do not humiliate me; for it shall not be done in this manner in Israel; do not commit this folly! 13 And I, where will I remove my shame? And thou shall be like one of the fools in Israel. And now, speak, I pray thee, to the king, for surely he will not withhold me from thee. 14 But Amnon did not want to listen to her voice; and he prevailed over her, and humiliated her, and lay with her. 15 Then Amnon despised her with very great hatred; for the hatred with which he despised her was greater than the love with which he had loved her, * and Amnon said to her, Rise up, and be gone. 16 And Themar said to him, No, brother, for greater is the last evil than the first that thou did with me, to send me away. But Amnon did not want to listen to her voice. 17 And he called his servant who had charge of the house, and said to him, Now send this woman away from me, throw her out and lock the door after her. 18 And upon her was a tunic down to her wrists, for so were the king’s daughters that were virgins attired in their outer garments. And his attendant led her outside, and bolted the door after her. 19 And Themar took ashes, and put them on her head; and she tore the tunic down to the wrists that was on her, and she laid her hands on her head, and went away, walking and wailing aloud. 20 And Abessalom her brother said to her, Was thy brother Amnon with thee? Now then, my sister, be quiet, for he is thy brother; do not set thy heart to mention this thing. So Themar stayed like a widow in the house of her brother Abessalom. 21 And King David heard of all these words, and was very angry; * but he did not grieve the spirit of his son Amnon, because be loved him, for he was his firstborn. 22 And Abessalom did not speak to Amnon, either bad or good, yet Abessalom hated Amnon, on account of his humiliating his sister Themar. 23 And it came to pass after two whole years of many days, that they were shearing sheep for Abessalom in Belasor, near Ephraim, and Abessalom invited all the king’s sons. 24 And Abessalom came to the king, and said, Behold now, thy servant has begun shearing; do let the king and his servants go with thy servant. 25 And the king said to Abessalom, Surely no my son, let us not all go, and we will not be burdensome to thee. And he pressed him, but he did not want to go, but he blessed him. 26 And Abessalom said to him, And if not, do let my brother Amnon go with us. And the king said to him, Why should he go with thee? 27 And Abessalom pressed him, and he sent with him Amnon and all the king’s sons; and Abessalom made a banquet like the banquet of the king. 28 And Abessalom charged his servants, saying, Mark when the heart of Amnon shall be merry with wine, and I shall say to you, Strike down Amnon, and kill him! Do not be afraid; for is it not I that command you? Be courageous and become like sons of valor. 29 And the servants of Abessalom did to Amnon as * Abessalom commanded them. And all the sons of the king rose up, and they mounted, each man upon his mule, and fled. 30 And it came to pass, while they were still on the way, that a report came to David, saying, Abessalom has struck down all the king’s sons, and there is not one of them left. 31 Then the king arose, and tore his garments, and lay upon the ground, and all his servants that were standing around him tore their garments. 32 And Jonadab, the son of Samaa, brother of David, answered and said, Let not my master the king say that he has put to death all the young men, the sons of the king, for only Amnon alone has died, for it was determined by the mouth of Abessalom from the day that he humiliated his sister Themar. 33 And now, let not my master, the king put the matter upon his heart, saying, All the king’s sons have died, for only Amnon alone has died. 34 And Abessalom ran away. and the young man, the watchman, lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, many people were coming on the way behind him from the side of the mountain in the descent, and the watchman came and told the king, and said, I have seen men from the road of Oronen, from the region of the mountain. 35 And Jonadab said to the king, Behold, the king’s sons are nearby; according to the word of thy servant, so has it happened. 36 And it came to pass, when he had finished speaking, that, behold, the king’s sons came, and raised their voice and wept, and truly the king and all his servants wept with a very great weeping. 37 And Abessalom ran away, and went to * Tholmi, the son of * Emioud, the king of * Gedsour, * to the land of Machad. And King David mourned for his son all the days. 38 So Abessalom fled, and went to * Gedsour, and was there three years. 39 And * the spirit of the king stopped going out after Abessalom, for he was consoled over Amnon because he was dead.

* Codex Vaticanus adds: “for the last evil was greater than the first”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “but he did not grieve the spirit of his son Amnon, because be loved him, for he was his firstborn”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “Abessalom” and simply reads “he”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Tholmailim”; Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Tholmai”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amioud”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Gesir”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “to Machad”; the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “to the land of Machad”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Gesir”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “King David.” Most Septuagint (LXX) codices follow DSS 4QSama in reading רוּחַ הַמֶּלֶךְ (ruakh hammelekh, “the spirit of the king”) rather than the Masoretic Text (MT) reading of דָּוִד הַמֶּלֶךְ (david hammelekh, “David the king”).

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 14

And Joab, the son of Sarouia, realized that the heart of the king was upon Abessalom. 2 And Joab sent to Thekoe, and took from there a * wise woman, and said to her, Do mourn, and put on mourning apparel, and do not anoint thyself with oil, and thou shall be like a woman mourning over one who has been dead for many days. 3 And thou shall go to the king, and speak to him according to this matter. And Joab put the words into her mouth. 4 So the Thekoite woman went in to the king and fell upon her face to the ground, and did him obeisance, and said, Save, O king, save! 5 And the king said to her, What is it with thee? And she said, I am indeed a widow woman, and my husband has died. 6 And moreover thy handmaid had two sons, and they fought together in the field, and there was no one to pull them apart; and the one struck down his brother and, and killed him. 7 And behold the whole family rose up against thine handmaid, and they said, Give over the one that struck his brother, and we will put him to death for the life of his brother whom he killed, and we will take away even your heir. And they will quench my only remaining ember, so as not to establish any remnant and name for my husband upon the face of the earth. 8 And the king said to the woman, Go to thy house in good health, and I will give instructions concerning thee. 9 And the Thekoite woman said to the king, On me, my lord, O king, and on my father’s house be the iniquity, and the king and his throne be blameless. 10 And the king said, Who was it that was speaking to thee? Thou shall also bring him to me, and he shall not touch him any longer. 11 And she said, Let now the king remember concerning the Lord, his God, so that a relative of blood may not succeed in destroying him. Then they shall not remove my son. And he said, As the lord lives, not a hair of thy son shall fall to the ground. 12 And the woman said, Let now thy servant speak a word to my lord the king. And he said, Do speak. 13 And the woman said, Why have thou devised this thing against the people of God? Truly, this word out of the king’s mouth is like a transgression, insofar as the king has not brought back his banished? 14 For by death we shall die, and be like water poured upon the earth, which shall not be gathered up, and God shall take a life, even as He devises to thrust forth from him his outcast. 15 And now whereas I came to speak this word to my lord the king, the reason is that the people will see me, and thy handmaid will say, Let one now speak to my lord the king, if somehow the king will enact the request of his handmaid; 16 for the king will hear, and so to rescue his handmaid from out of the hand of the man that seeks to remove me and my son from the inheritance of God. 17 And * the woman said, may the word of my lord the king truly be as an offering. For as an angel of God, so is my lord the king, to hear the good and the evil, and the Lord thy God shall be with thee. 18 And the king answered, and said to the woman, Do not hide from me a thing that I ask of thee. And the woman said, Do let my lord the king speak. 19 And the king said, Is not the hand of Joab in all this with thee? And the woman said to the king, As thy soul lives, my lord, O king, there is no deviating to the right hand or to the left from all that my lord the king has spoken! For thy servant Joab himself commanded me, and he put all these words in the mouth of thine handmaid. 20 In order that the facade of this matter may come about, thy servant Joab concocted this tale; but my lord is wise like the wisdom of an angel of God, to know all things that are in the earth. 21 And the king said to Joab, Behold now, I have done to thee according to this thy word; go, bring back the young man Abessalom. 22 And Joab fell on his face to the ground, and did obeisance, and blessed the king, and Joab said, Today thy servant knows that I have found favor in thy sight, my lord, O king, for my lord the king has performed the word of his servant. 23 And Joab arose, and went to Gedsour, and brought Abessalom to Jerusalem. 24 And the king said, Let him return to his house, but let him not see my face. And Abessalom returned to his house, and did not see the king’s face. 25 And there was not a man in Israel as so praiseworthy as Abessalom; from the sole of his foot even to the crown of his head there was no blemish in him. 26 And when he sheared his head, (and it was at the beginning of every year that he sheared it because it grew heavy upon him,) even after he sheared it, he weighed the hair of his head, two hundred shekels according to the royal shekel. 27 And there were born to Abessalom three sons and one daughter, and her name was Themar; she was a very beautiful woman, and she became the wife of Roboam, the son of Solomon, and she bore to him Abia. 28 And Abessalom remained in Jerusalem two full years in days, and he did not see the king’s face. 29 And Abessalom sent to Joab to send him in to the king, but he did not want to come to him. And he sent to him a second time, but he did not want to come. 30 And Abessalom said to his servants, Behold, Joab’s portion in the field is next to mine, and he has in it barley; go and burn it with fire. And the servants of Abessalom set them on fire. And the servants of Joab came to him with their clothes torn, and they said to him, The servants of Abessalom have burned your portion with fire. 31 And Joab arose, and came to Abessalom into his house, and said to him, Why have thy servants burned my portion with fire? 32 And Abessalom said to Joab, Behold, I sent to thee, saying, Come here, and I will send thee to the king, saying, Why did I come from Gedsour? It would have been better for me to have remained there. And now, behold, I have not seen the face of the king; but if there is iniquity in me, then put me to death. 33 And Joab went in to the king, and told him, and he summoned Abessalom. And he went in to the king, and did him obeisance, and fell upon his face to the ground before the king, and the king kissed Abessalom.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “intelligent”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “thy handmaid said”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 15

And it came to pass after this that Abessalom obtained for himself chariots and horses, and fifty men to run along before him. 2 And Abessalom rose early, and stood by the road of the gate, and it came to pass that every man who had a case, came to the king for judgment, and Abessalom called out to him, and would say to him, From what city art thou? And he said, Thy servant is from one of the tribes of Israel. 3 And Abessalom said to him, Behold, thy affairs are good and easy, yet there is no one from the king appointed to hear thee. 4 And Abessalom said, Who would make me a judge in the land? Then every man who may have a dispute and a case would come to me, and I would give him justice. 5 And it came to pass when a man came near to do him obeisance that he would stretched out his hand and take hold of him, and would kiss him. 6 And Abessalom did after this manner to all Israel that came to the king for judgment; and Abessalom gained the hearts of the men of Israel. 7 And it came to pass at the end of * forty years, that Abessalom said to his father, I will go now, and pay my vows, which I vowed to the Lord, in Hebron. 8 For thy servant vowed a vow when I lived in Gedsour in Syria, saying, If by returning the Lord should return me to Jerusalem, then I will serve the Lord. 9 And the king said to him, Go in peace. And he arose and went to Hebron. 10 And Abessalom sent spies throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, When ye hear the sound of the horn, then shall ye say, Abessalom has become king in Hebron. 11 And there went with Abessalom two hundred men from out of Jerusalem, being invited and going naively, and they did not know anything. 12 And Abessalom sent and summoned Achitophel the * Gelmonite, the counselor of David, from his city, from Gola, when he was offering sacrifices. And there was a strong * conspiracy; and the people with Abessalom were increasingly numerous. 13 And there came a messenger to David, saying, the heart of the men of Israel has gone after Abessalom. 14 And David said to all his servants who were with him in Jerusalem, Rise, and let us flee, for we have no deliverance from before the face of Abessalom. Make haste and go, lest he overtake us speedily, and thrust evil upon us, and strike the city with * the edge of the dagger. 15 And the king’s servants said to the king, According to everything which our lord the king chooses, behold we are thy servants. 16 And the king and his entire house went out on foot, and the king left ten women of his concubines to keep the house. 17 And the king and all his servants went out on foot; and abode in a distant house. 18 And all his servants passed on by his side, and every Helethi, and every Phelethi, and they stood by the olive tree in the wilderness. And all the people passed by near him, and all those about him, and all the men of prominence, and all the warriors, altogether six hundred men, and they were passing by at his hand, and every Helethi, and every Phelethi, and all the Geththites, six hundred men, who came by foot from out of Geth, and they passed before the face of the king. 19 And the king said to Eththi the Giththite, Why dose thou also go with us? Turn back, and live with the king, for thou art a stranger, and because thou have changed thy abode from out of thy place. 20 If thou had come yesterday, shall I even today cause thee to travel with us, and shall thou thus change thy place? Since thou came yesterday, then today shall I set thee in motion to go along with us? I will go wherever I may go. Turn back, and cause thy brothers to turn back with thee, and the Lord will deal mercifully and truthfully with thee. 21 And Eththi answered the king and said, As the Lord lives and as my lord the king lives, in the place wherever my lord shall be, whether it is for death or it is for life, for there thy servant will be. 22 And the king said to Eththi, Come and pass over with me. So Eththi the Geththite * and the king passed over, and all his servants, and the entire multitude that was with him. 23 And all the country wept with a loud voice. And all the people passed by over the torrents of Kedron; and the king passed over the torrents of Kedron, and all the people and the king were leaving on the way to the wilderness. 24 And behold, and truly Sadok, and all the Levites were with him, carrying the Ark of the Covenant * of the Lord from Baithar; and they set down the Ark of God, and Abiathar went up until all the people ceased to pass out of the city. 25 And the king said to Sadok, Return the ark of God to the city. If I should find favor in the eyes of the Lord, then will He bring me back, and He will show me it and its beauty. 26 But if He should say thus, I have no want in thee; behold, here I am, let Him do to me according to * that which is good in His eyes. 27 And the king said to Sadok the priest, Behold, thou shall return to the city in peace, and Achimaas thy son, and Jonathan the son of Abiathar, your two sons with you. 28 Behold, * I am at arms in Araboth of the wilderness until word comes from you to inform me. 29 So Sadok and Abiathar returned the ark * of God to Jerusalem, and it stayed there. 30 And David went up by the ascent of the * Mount of Olives, ascending and weeping, and had his head covered, and went barefooted, and all the people that were with him every man covered his head; and they went up, ascending and weeping. 31 And it was reported to David, saying, Achitophel also is among the conspirators with Abessalom. And David said, O Lord my God, scatter afar the counsel of Achitophel. 32 And David came as far as * Roos, there where he did obeisance to God, and behold, Chousi the chief friend of David came out to meet him, with his tunic torn, and dirt upon his head. 33 And David said to him, If thou should cross over with me, then thou will be a * burden to me. 34 But if thou shall return to the city, and shall say to Abessalom, Thy brothers have passed through, and thy father the king has passed through behind me, and now I am thy servant, O king, allow me to live; I was previously and recently the servant of thy father, and now I am thy servant, then thou will scatter afar for me, the counsel of Achitophel. 35 And, behold, Sadok and Abiathar the priests are there with thee, and it shall be that every word that thou might hear from the house of the king, thou shall report it to Sadok and Abiathar the priests. 36 Behold, there are there with them their two sons, Achimaas the son of Sadok, and Jonathan the son of Abiathar, and by their hand ye shall report to me every word which ye shall hear. 37 So Chousi, the friend of David, went into the city, and Abessalom was going into Jerusalem.

* Lucian’s LXX recension reads: “four years”. Most Septuagint (LXX) codices read “forty years,” as does the Masoretic Text (MT). However, the context cannot not justify a period of forty years prior to the rebellion of Abessalom. Thus Lucian’s LXX recension (τέσσαρα ἔτη, tessara ete), the Syriac Peshitta’s (’arba’ sanin), and the Latin Vulgate’s (post quattuor autem annos) in fact have the correct reading of “four years.”

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Thekonite”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “deliberation”.

* The phrase “στόματι μαχαίρας” is literally translated as: “the mouth of the dagger.” The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “the edge (i.e. mouth) of the broadsword.”

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “and the king”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “of God”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “that which is pleasing before Him”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “I wait for thee in the wilderness of the desert”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “of God”.

* Or olive groves.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ros”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “great weight” or “heavy load”.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X