Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible, II Kingdoms (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 16

And David passed on a little way from * Roos, and, behold, * Siba the servant of Memphibosthe came to meet him; and he had a couple of donkeys fully laden, and upon them two hundred bread loaves, and one hundred raisins, and one hundred dates, and a skin of wine. 2 And the king said to * Siba, Why do you have these things? And * Siba, said, The donkeys are for the household of the king to sit upon, and the bread loaves and the dates are for the young men to eat, and the wine is for them that are faint in the wilderness to drink. 3 And the king said, And where is the son of thy master? And * Siba said to the king, Behold, he stays in Jerusalem, for he said, Today the house of Israel shall return to me the kingdom of my father. 4 And the king said to * Siba, Behold, everything that is Memphibosthe’s is thine. And * Siba did obeisance and said, My lord, O king, let me find favor in thy eyes. 5 And King David came to Baourim; and, behold, there came out from there a man of the family of the house of Saul, and his name was * Semei the son of Gera; he came forth and cursed as he went, 6 and threw stones at David, and at all the servants of King David, and all the people and all the powerful men were on the right and on the left of the king. 7 And thus * Semei said when he cursed him, Get out, get out, man of blood and man of lawlessness. 8 The Lord has returned upon thee all the blood of the house of Saul, because thou became king in his stead, and the Lord has given the kingdom into the hand of Abessalom thy son. And, behold, you are overtaken in thy own evil, for you are a man of bloodshed. 9 And Abessa the son of Sarouia said to the king, Why does this dead dog curse my lord the king? I will undoubtedly walk over and take off his head. 10 And the king said *, What concern is this to me and to thee, ye sons of Sarouia? Leave him alone, and so let him curse, for the Lord has told him to curse David, and who shall say, Why have thou done this? 11 And David said to Abessa and to all his servants, Behold, my son who came forth out of my bowels seeks my life; and moreover now, this son of Benjamin! Allow him to curse, because the Lord has told him. 12 If by any means the Lord may look on my humiliation, then He will return to me good things in place of His curse this day. 13 And David and all the men with him went on the way, and * Semei went by the side of the mountain next to him, cursing as he went, and throwing stones at him, and sprinkling him with dirt. 14 And the king, and all the people with him, came away exhausted and refreshed themselves there. 15 And Abessalom and all the men of Israel went into Jerusalem and Achitophel was with him. 16 And it came to pass when Chousi, the chief friend of David, came to Abessalom, that Chousi said to Abessalom, * Let the king live! 17 And Abessalom said to Chousi, Is this thy act of mercy towards thy friend? Why did you not go forth with thy friend? 18 And Chousi said to Abessalom, Nay, but following whom the Lord, and this people, and all Israel have chosen, his I will be, and with him I will stay. 19 And second, to whom will I be subject? Should I not in the presence of his son? Just as I served in the presence of thy father, so I will be in thy presence. 20 And Abessalom said to Achitophel, Deliberate among yourselves concerning what we should do. 21 And Achitophel said to Abessalom, Go in to thy father’s concubines, whom he left behind to keep his house; and all Israel will hear that thou have dishonored thy father; and the hands of all of those who are with thee will be strengthened. 22 And they pitched a tent for Abessalom on the roof, and Abessalom went in to his father’s concubines in the sight of all Israel. 23 And the counsel of Achitophel, which he consulted in the former days, was as if one were to inquire of the word of God; so was all the counsel of Achitophel, also to David and also to Abessalom.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ros”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Seiba”; Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Sibba”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Semeei”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “to Abessa”.

* Or “Long live the king!” The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Let the king live, let the king live!” or “Long live the king, love live the king!”

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 17

And Achitophel said to Abessalom, I will now choose for myself twelve thousand men, and I will arise and pursue after David this night. 2 And I will come upon him, and he will be exhausted and slack of hands, and I will startle him, and all the people with him shall flee, and I will strike down only the king. 3 And I will return all the people to thee, as a bride returns to her husband, except for the life of one man whom you are seeking, and all the people will be at peace. 4 And the saying was right in the eyes of Abessalom, and in the eyes of all the elders of Israel. 5 And Abessalom said, Summon now forthwith Chousi the Arachi, and let us hear what is in his mouth, what are truly his words. 6 And Chousi went in to Abessalom, and Abessalom spoke to him, saying, Here is what Achitophel has advised. Shall we follow his advice? If we do not, what do you recommend? 7 And Chousi said to Abessalom, This counsel that Achitophel has advised this one time, is not good. 8 And Chousi said, Thou know thy father and his men, that they are very powerful, and very bitter in their soul, just like a bear bereft of her cubs in a field, and like a wild boar in the plain. And thy father is a man of war, and will not give the people rest. 9 For, behold, he is now hidden in one of the hills or in some other place. And it shall come to pass when he falls upon them at the beginning, that some one will certainly hear, and say, There has been a slaughter among the people that follow after Abessalom. 10 Then even a son of power, whose heart is like the heart of a lion, it shall utterly melt away, for all Israel knows that thy father is mighty, and those who are with him are sons of power. 11 For in counseling I have so advised, that all Israel, in being gathered, be assembled to thee, from Dan even to Bersabee, like the sand that is upon the sea for a multitude, and that thy * presence go in the midst of them. 12 And we will come upon him in one of the places where we shall find him, and we will encamp against him, as the dew falls upon the ground, and we will not leave of him and of his men so much as one. 13 And if he regroups in a city, then shall all Israel take ropes to that city, and we shall drag it as far as the rushing river, that there may not be left behind there even a stone. 14 And Abessalom, and all the men of Israel said, The counsel of Chousi the Arachi is better than the counsel of Achitophel. For the Lord ordained to scatter afar the good counsel of Achitophel so that the Lord might bring all evil upon Abessalom. 15 And Chousi the son of the Arachi said to Sadok and Abiathar the priests, Thus and so Achitophel advised Abessalom and the elders of Israel, and thus and so have I counseled. 16 And now send quickly and report to David, saying, Do not lodge this night in Araboth of the wilderness, and truly make haste crossing over, lest one swallow up the king and all the people who are with him. 17 And Jonathan and Achimaas stood by the Spring of Rogel, and a maid-servant went and reported to them, and they would go and tell King David, for they could not be seen going into the city. 18 But a young man saw them and told Abessalom, and the two went quickly, and entered into the house of a man in Baourim, and he had a well in his courtyard, and they went down there into it. 19 And his wife took a covering, and spread it over the * face of the well, and ground corn upon it to dry, and the thing was not known. 20 And the servants of Abessalom came to the woman into the house, and said, Where are Achimaas and Jonathan? And the woman said to them, They passed by a little way from the water. And they searched and did not find them, and returned to Jerusalem. 21 And it came to pass after they were gone, that they came up out of the well, and went on their way and reported to King David, and they said to * David, Arise ye and go quickly over the water, for thus has Achitophel counseled concerning you. 22 And David rose up and all the people with him, and they passed over the Jordan until the morning light; there was not one noticed who did not pass over the Jordan. 23 And Achitophel saw that his counsel was not followed, and he saddled his donkey, and rose and departed to his house into his city; and he gave orders to his household, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulcher of his father. 24 And David passed over to Manaim, and Abessalom crossed over the Jordan, he and all the men of Israel with him. 25 And Abessalom appointed Amessai instead of Joab over the * army. And Amessai was the son of a man whose name was * Jothor the * Israelite; it was he who went in to Abigaia the daughter of Naas, the sister of Sarouia the mother of Joab. 26 And all Israel and Abessalom encamped in the land of Galaad. 27 And it came to pass when David came to Manaim, that * Ouesbi the son of Naas from * Rabbath of the sons of Ammon, and Mahir the son of Amiel from Lodabar, and * Berzelli the Galaadite from Rogellim, 28 brought ten beds and double-sided rugs and ten caldrons, and earthen vessels, and wheat, and barley, and flour, and barley-meal, and beans, and lentils, 29 and honey, and butter, and sheep, and cheese from cows, and they brought them to David and to the people with him to eat, for they said, The people are hungry and faint and thirsty in the wilderness.

* Literally: “face”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “mouth”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “him”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “military”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Jether”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Ishmaelite”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sobi”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Rabath”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Berzellei”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 18

And David inspected the people who were with him, and set over them commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds. 2 And David sent out the people, one-third by the hand of Joab, and one-third by the hand of Abessa the son of Sarouia, the brother of Joab, and one-third by the hand of * Eththi the Geththite. And David said to the people, In going out I will go out most assuredly with you. 3 And they said, Thou shall not go out. For if we should indeed flee, * they will not have any concern for us; and if half of us should die, * they will not have any concern for us; for thou art like ten thousand of us, and now it is good that thou shall be to us an aid to help us in the city. 4 And the king said to them, Whatever shall seem pleasing * in your eyes I will do. And the king stood by the side of the gate, and all the people went out by hundreds and by thousands. 5 And the king commanded Joab and * Abessa and * Eththi, saying, Spare for my sake the young man Abessalom. And all the people heard the king charging all the commanders concerning Abessalom. 6 And all the people went out * into the forest opposite Israel; and the battle occurred in the forest of Ephraim. 7 And the people of Israel fell there before the servants of David, and there was a great slaughter in that day, even twenty thousand men. 8 And the battle there was scattered over the face of all the land and the forest consumed more of the people than the * dagger consumed among the people in that day. 9 And Abessalom met before the servants of David, and Abessalom was mounted on his mule, and the mule went under the thick branches of the great oak; and his head was entangled in the oak, and he was suspended between heaven and between earth; and the mule passed on from under him. 10 And a man saw it, and reported it to Joab, and said, Behold, I saw Abessalom hanging in an oak. 11 And Joab said to the man who reported it to him, And behold, thou have seen him! Why did thou not strike him to the ground? And I would have given thee ten * pieces of silver, and one belt. 12 And the man said to Joab, Were I even to receive a thousand shekels of silver unto my hands, I would not put my hand upon the king’s son; for in our ears the king charged thee and * Abessa and * Eththi, saying, Protect for my sake the young man Abessalom, 13 so as to do no wrong to his life; and nothing of this will escape notice from the king, even you would have stood opposed against me. 14 And Joab said, I will commence this; I will not wait thus before you. And Joab took three spears in his hand, and stuck them in the heart of Abessalom, while he was yet alive in the heart of the oak. 15 And ten young men that bore the weapons of Joab encompassed Abessalom, and struck him and killed him. 16 And Joab trumpeted with a * horn, and the people turned back from pursuing Israel, for Joab spared the people. 17 And he took Abessalom, and threw him into a great chasm in the forest, into a great pit, and set up over him a very great heap of stones. And all Israel fled every man to his tent. 18 And Abessalom, while still alive, had taken and set up for himself a pillar near which he was taken, and set it up so as to have the pillar in the valley of the king, for he said, He has no son to keep his name in remembrance, and he called the pillar, the Hand of Abessalom, until this day. 19 And Achimaas the son of Sadok said, Let me run now and carry good news to the king that the Lord has vindicated him from the hand of his enemies. 20 And Joab said to him, Thou shall not be a messenger of good news this day; thou shall bear good news another day; but on this day thou shall bear no good news, because the king’s son has died. 21 And Joab said to Chousi, Go, report to the king that thou have seen. And Chousi did obeisance to Joab, and went out. 22 And Achimaas the son of Sadok said again to Joab, Whatever happens, let me also run after Chousi. And Joab said, Why is it that you want to run, my son? Come now, you have no good news that will bring you a reward if you go. 23 And he said, What does it matter if I want to run? and Joab said to him, Run. And Achimaas ran along the way of Kechar, and surpassed Chousi. 24 And David was sitting between the two gates. And the watchman went up on the roof of the gate at the wall, and lifted up his eyes, and looked, and beheld a man running alone before him. 25 And the watchman cried out, and reported to the king. And the king said, If he is alone, there is good news in his mouth. And he came along, coming and approaching. 26 And the watchman saw another man running, and the watchman cried out to the gate, and said, Look, another man running alone! And the king said, He also brings good news. 27 And the watchman said, I see the running of the first like the running of Achimaas the son of Sadok. And the king said, He is a good man, and will truly come to report good news. 28 And Achimaas cried out and said to the king, Peace! And he did obeisance to the king with his face to the ground, and said, Blessed be the Lord thy God, who has suppressed the men that lifted up their hands against my lord the king. 29 And the king said, Is the young man Abessalom safe? And Achimaas said, I saw a great multitude at the time of Joab’s sending the king’s servant and thy servant, and I knew not what was there. 30 And the king said, Turn aside, and take your place there. So he turned aside, and stood. 31 And, behold, Chousi came, and said to the king, Let my lord the king receive good news, for the Lord has vindicated thee this day from the hand of all those who were roused up against thee. 32 And the king said to Chousi, Is it well with the young man Abessalom? And Chousi said, Let the enemies of my lord the king, and all whoever have risen up against him for evil, be like that young man. 33 And the king was troubled, and went up to the upper chamber of the gate, and wept, and thus he said as he went, My son Abessalom, my son, my son Abessalom! Would God I had died for thee, even I had died for thee, Abessalom, my son, my son!

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ethi the Gethite”.

* Literally: “they will not place their heart upon us”.

* Literally: “they will not place their heart upon us”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “before you”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abeisa”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ethi”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “into the field to meet Israel in battle”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “broadsword”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “shekels”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abeisa”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ethi”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “trumpet”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 19

And it was told to Joab, saying, Behold, the king weeps and mourns for Abessalom. 2 And the deliverance in that day turned into mourning to all the people, for the people heard say that day, The king grieves after his son. 3 And the people stole away that day to go into the city, as people steal away when they are ashamed as they flee in battle. 4 And the king hid his face, and the king cried out with a loud voice, saying, My son Abessalom! Abessalom my son!
          5 And Joab went in to the king, into the house, and said, Thou have this day shamed the faces of all thy servants who have delivered thee this day, and the life of thy sons and of thy daughters, and the life of thy wives, and of thy concubines, 6 forasmuch as thou loves those who hate thee, and hates those who love thee; and thou hast this day declared, that thy rulers and thy servants are nothing in thy sight, for I have perceived this day, that if Abessalom were alive, and all of us dead today, then it would have been right in thy sight. 7 And now arise, and go forth, and speak unto the heart of thy servants; for I have sworn by the Lord, that unless thou will go forth today, there shall not a man remain with thee this night, and know this for thyself, this thing will indeed be evil to thee beyond all the evil that has come upon thee from thy youth until now. 8 Then the king arose, and sat at the gate. And all the people proclaimed, saying, Behold, the king sits at the gate. And all the people went in before the king * at the gate; and Israel had fled * every man to his tent. 9 And all the people disputed among all the tribes of Israel, saying, King David delivered us from all our enemies, and he rescued us from the hand of the * Philistines, and now he has fled from the land, * and from his kingdom, and from Abessalom. 10 And Abessalom, whom we anointed over us, died in the battle. And now why are ye silent about bringing back the king? And the word of all Israel came to the king. 11 And King David sent to Sadok and to Abiathar the priests, saying, Speak to the elders of Judah, saying, Why are ye the last to bring back the king to his house? And the word of all Israel came to the king to his house. 12 Ye are my brothers, ye are my bones and my flesh, why are ye the last to bring back the king to his house? 13 And ye shall say to * Amessai, Art thou not of my bone and of my flesh? And now God do so to me and more also, if thou shall not be * commander of the army before me for all of my days instead of Joab. 14 And he bowed the heart of all the men of Judah as that of one man; and they sent to the king, saying, Return thou, and all thy servants. 15 And the king returned, and came as far as Jordan, and the men of Judah came to Galgala on their way to meet the king, to bring the king over Jordan. 16 And * Semei the son of Gera, the son of the Benjamite, from Baourim, hastened and went down with the men of Judah to meet King David. 17 And a thousand men of Benjamin were with him, and Siba, the servant of the house of Saul, and his fifteen sons with him, and his twenty servants with him, and they went directly down to the Jordan before the king, 18 and they performed the service of bringing the king over; and there went over a ferry boat to remove the household of the king, and to do that which was right in His eyes. And * Semei the son of Gera fell on his face before the king, as he crossed over the Jordan; 19 and said to the king, Let not my lord consider my lawlessness, and remember not how much thy servant did wrong in the day in which my lord * went out from Jerusalem, so that the king should put it in his heart. 20 For thy servant knows that I have sinned, and, behold, I have come today * first of all of Israel and the house of Joseph, to go down and meet my lord the king. 21 And * Abessa the son of Sarouia answered and said, Shall not * Semei be put to death for this, because he cursed the Lord’s anointed? 22 And David said, What concern is this to me and to thee, ye sons of Sarouia, that ye become so treacherous to me this day? Today no man in Israel shall be put to death, for I do not know if I am king over Israel this day. 23 And the king said to * Semei, Thou shall not die. And the king swore to him. 24 And Memphibosthe * the son of Saul’s son, went down to meet the king, and had not attend to his feet, * nor pared his nails, nor prepared his mustache, neither had he washed his garments, from the day that the king departed, until the day when he arrived in peace. 25 And it came to pass, when he went into Jerusalem to meet the king, that the king said to him, Why did thou not go with me, Memphibosthe? 26 And Memphibosthe said to him, My lord, O king, my servant deceived me; for thy servant said to him, Saddle me the donkey, and I will mount upon it, and go with the king; for thy servant is lame. 27 And he has dealt deceitfully with thy servant against my lord the king; but my lord the king is like an angel of God, and does what is good in thy eyes. 28 For all the house of my father were but as dead men before my lord the king; yet thou have set thy servant among those who eat at thy table. And what right have I any longer even to still cry to the king? 29 And the king said to him, Why do you continue to speak of thy matters? I have said, Thou and Siba shall together divide the field. 30 And Memphibosthe said to the king, Yea, let him surely take all, since my lord the king has come in peace to his house. 31 And Berzelli the Galaadite came down from Rogellim, and crossed over the Jordan with the king, so as to send him forth from the Jordan. 32 And Berzelli was a very old man, a son of eighty years; and he supported the king while he lived in Manaim, for he was a very great man. 33 And the king said to Berzelli, Thou shall cross over with me, and I will support your old age with me in Jerusalem. 34 And Berzelli said to the king, How many are the days of the years of my life that I should go up with the king to Jerusalem? 35 I am this day a son of eighty years; can I then distinguish between good and evil? Can thy servant taste any longer what I eat or drink? Can I any longer hear the voice of singing men and singing women? And wherefore shall thy servant any longer be a burden to my lord the king? 36 Thy servant will cross over the Jordan and go a little way with the king. And why does the king compensate me so with this reward? 37 Do let thy servant remain, and I shall die in my city, near the tomb of my father and of my mother. And, behold, thy servant * Chamaam will cross over with my lord the king, and do thou to him as it seems good in thine eyes. 38 And the king said, Let * Chamaam cross over with me, and I will do to him what is good * in my eyes; and * whatever thou shall choose in my power, I will do for thee. 39 And all the people passed over the Jordan, and the king passed over; and the king kissed Berzelli, and blessed him; and he returned to his place. 40 And the king crossed over to Galgala, and * Chamaam crossed over with him, and all the people of Judah crossed over with the king, and also half the people of Israel. 41 And behold, all the men of Israel came to the king, and said to the king, Why have our brothers, the men of Judah, stolen thee away, and brought the king and all his house to pass over the Jordan, and all the men of David with him? 42 And all the men of Judah answered the men of Israel, and said, Because the king is near of kin to us. And why were you thus angry concerning this matter? We have truly not eaten any of the king’s food? Or has he given us a gift, or has he lifted a burden for us? 43 And the men of Israel answered the men of Judah, and said, We have ten hands in the king, and we are the firstborn rather than you, and truly in David we are over you. And why have ye thus insulted us, and why was our word not taken first * to bring back our king? And the speech of the men of Judah grew harder than the speech of the men of Israel.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “at the gate”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “everyone to his tent”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “and from his kingdom, and from Abessalom”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Amessaei”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Amissai”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amessa”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “commander-in-chief”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “the king”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “first of the entire house of Joseph”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abeisa”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abisai”.

* Alfred Rahlf’s Septuaginta and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “nor pared his nails”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Chanaan”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Chimaan”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Chanaan”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Chimaan”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “before thee”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “whatever thou shall ask of me, I will do for thee”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “before that of Judah”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 20

And there was a so called iniquitous son there, and his name was * Sabee, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, the son of Bochori, and he trumpeted with the * horn, and said, We have no portion in David, neither have we any inheritance in the son of Jesse! Every man to thy tents, O Israel! 2 And all the men of Israel went up from behind David to follow after * Sabee the son of Bochori, but the men of Judah adhered to their king, from the Jordan even to Jerusalem. 3 And David went into his house at Jerusalem: and the king took the ten women, his concubines, whom he had left to keep the house, and he gave them over into a house of confinement, and supported them, but he did not go in to them; and they remained in confinement until the day of their death, living as widows. 4 And the king said to * Amessai, Call to me the men of Judah for three days, and stand here yourself. 5 And * Amessai went to call Judah, and delayed beyond the time which David appointed him. 6 And David said to * Amessai, Now shall * Sabee the son of Bochori do us more harm than Abessalom, and now, take thou with thee the servants of thy lord, and follow after him, lest he find for himself strong cities, and will overshadow our eyes. 7 And there went out after him * the men of Joab, and the Cherethites, and the Phelethites, and all the powerful men, and they went out from Jerusalem to pursue after * Sabee the son of Bochori.
            8 And they were beside the great stone that is in Gabaon, and * Amessai went in before them. And Joab was wearing a woolen cloak over his apparel, and over it he was girded with a dagger fastened upon his waist in its sheath, and the dagger came out and fell. 9 And Joab said to * Amessai, Art thou in good health, * brother? And the right hand of Joab took hold of the beard of * Amessai to kiss him. 10 And * Amessai did not protect himself against the dagger that was in the hand of Joab, and Joab struck him with it in his loins, and his bowels poured out upon the ground, and there was no need to stab him a second time, and he died. And Joab and * Abessai his brother pursued after * Sabee the son of Bochori. 11 And there stood over him one of the servants of Joab, and said, Who is he that is for Joab, and whoever is for David have him follow Joab! 12 And * Amessai was drenched in blood in the midst of the way. And a man saw that all the people has stopped, and he removed * Amessai out of the path into a field, and he threw a cloak upon him, because he saw every one who came by him standing still. 13 And when he proceeded off the road, every man of Israel passed on after Joab to pursue after * Sabee the son of Bochori. 14 And * he went through all the tribes of Israel to Abel, and to Baithmacha, and all * in Charri too were assembled, and they came behind * him. 15 And * they came and besieged * him in Abel and Baithmacha, * and they poured out a mound against the city and it stood within the outer wall, and all the people with Joab were devising to throw down the wall. 16 And a wise woman cried from the * wall, and said, Listen! * Listen! Truly say to Joab, Draw near here, and I will speak to him. 17 And he drew near to her, and the woman said to him, Art thou Joab? And he said, I am. And she said to him, Hear the words of thy servant. And Joab said, I am listening. 18 And she spoke, saying, from the beginning they said thus, When they asked, it was asked in Abel, and in Dan, whether they had abandoned what the faithful of Israel had established. When inquiring, they shall inquire in Abel, even in like manner, whether they have abandoned it. 19 I am a peaceful one who supports Israel, but thou seek to destroy a city and a metropolis in Israel; why do you * choke the inheritance of the Lord? 20 And Joab answered and said, * Be gracious to me; be gracious to me, if I shall choke it and if I shall destroy it. 21 This is not the case! For there is a man of Mount Ephraim, * Sabee, son of Bochori, is his name, and he has lifted up his hand against King David? Give him only to me, and I will depart from the city. And the woman said to Joab, Behold, his head shall be thrown to thee over the wall. 22 And the woman went in to all the people, and she spoke to the entire city in her wisdom; and she took off the head of Sabee, the son of Bochori; and threw it to Joab. And he trumpeted with the * horn and they scattered from the city, every man to his tent, and Joab returned to Jerusalem to the king. 23 And Joab was over all the forces of Israel; and * Banaias, the son of Jodae, was over the Chereththi and over the Pheleththi. 24 And Adoniram was over the tribute, and Josaphat, the son of Achilouth was the recorder. 25 And Sousa was scribe, and Sadok and Abiathar were priests. 26 Moreover Iras the Iarin was David’s priest.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abee”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sabeai”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sabeai”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Amessaei”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amessa”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Amessaei”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amessa”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abeisa”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abisaei”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Abessa”.

* Codex Vaticanus adds: “Abessa and”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abee”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sabeai”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “my brother Amessai”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “my brother”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abeisa”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abisaei”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Abessa”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Amessaei”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Amesai”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amessa”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abessaei”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Amesai”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amessa”.

* i.e. Sabee.

* i.e. Sabee.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “in Charri too”.

* i.e. Joab and Abessa.

* i.e. Sabee.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “and they placed a siege mound…”

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “city”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “truly” or “indeed”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “swallow up”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “May it not be to me to swallow it, and shall I destroy it?

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Baneas”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 21

And there was a famine in the days of David for three years, year after year, and David sought the face of the Lord. And the Lord said, There is iniquity upon Saul and his house because of his blood guiltiness, because he murdered the Gabaonites. 2 And * King David called the Gabaonites, and spoke to them; now the Gabaonites are not the sons of Israel, but are of the remnant of the * Amorrite, and the sons of Israel had sworn an oath to them, but Saul sought to strike them down in his zeal for the sons of Israel and Judah. 3 And David said to the Gabaonites, What shall I do for you? And by what means shall I make atonement that ye may bless the inheritance of the Lord? 4 And the Gabaonites said to him, For us it is not about silver or gold with Saul and with his house; and for us there is no man to put to death from * Israel. 5 And he said, What say ye? Speak, and I will do it for you. And they said to the king, The man who would have made an end of us, and persecuted us, who plotted against us to destroy us, let us do away with him, so that he shall have no standing in all the boarders of Israel. 6 Let one give us seven men of his sons, and let us hang them in the sun to the Lord in Gabaon of Saul, as chosen out for the Lord. And the king said, I will give them to you. 7 But the king spared Memphibosthe, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, because of the oath of the Lord that was between them, even between David and Jonathan the son of Saul. 8 And the king took the two sons of Respha, the daughter of Aia, whom she bore to Saul, Ermoni and Memphibosthe, and the five sons of Michol, the daughter of Saul, whom she bore to * Esdriel, the son of Berzelli the Moulathite. 9 And he gave them into the hand of the Gabaonites, and they hung them up to the sun on the mountain before the lord. And they fell, even the seven together. And they were put to death in the days of harvest at the commencement, in the beginning of the barley harvest. 10 And Respha, the daughter of Aia, took sackcloth, and fixed it for herself on the rock in the beginning of the barley harvest, until water dripped upon them * from out of the sky, and she did not allow the birds of the sky to rest upon them by day, neither the beasts of the field by night.
              11 And it was told to David what Respha, the daughter of Aia the concubine of Saul, had done, and they were released, and Dan, the son of Joa of the offspring of the giants, overtook them. 12 And David went and took the bones of Saul, and the bones of Jonathan his son, from the men of the sons of Jabis Galaad, who stole them from the square of Baithsan, for the * Philistines set them there, in the day when the * Philistines struck down Saul in Gelboue. 13 And he brought up thence the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son, and gathered the bones of those who were hung in the sun. 14 And they buried the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son, and the bones of those who were hung in the sun, in the land of Benjamin, in the side of the hill, in the tomb of Kis his father, and they did all the things that the king commanded. And after this, God hearkened to the prayers of the land. 15 And there was still war between the * Philistines and Israel. And David went down and his servants with him, and they fought with the * Philistines, and David grew faint. 16 And Jesbi *, who was of the progeny of * Rapha, and the weight of whose spear was three hundred shekels of bronze in weight, who also was fitted with a * mace, even he thought to strike down David. 17 And * Abessa, the son of Sarouia helped him and struck down the * Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David swore an oath, saying, Thou shall not any longer go out with us to battle, and thou shall not quench the lamp of Israel. 18 And after this there was a battle again with the * Philistines in * Geth; then * Sebocha, the * Astatothite, struck down * Seph of the progeny of * Rapha. 19 And the battle was in * Gom with the * Philistines. And * Eleanan, the son of Ariorgim the Bethlehemite, struck down * Goliath the Giththite, and the staff of his spear was as a weaver’s beam. 20 And there was still war in Geth. And there was a man of Madon, and the fingers of his hands and the toes of his feet were six on each, four and twenty in number, and truly he was * born to Rapha. 21 And he reproached Israel, and Jonathan, the son of * Semei, the brother of David, struck him down. 22 These four were born as descendants of the giants in Geth, to the house of Rapha, and they fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “the King”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amorrite”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “all of”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Serei”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Adriel”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “from God”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text add: “of Nob”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “giants”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “sash”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Absaei”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Aousastonthel”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Asothi”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Sephe”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “those assembled”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “giants”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Nob”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Oebocha”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Rom”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ellanan”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Godolian”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “the progeny of titans”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Semeei”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Samaa”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 22

And David spoke to the Lord the words of this song, in the day in which the Lord rescued him from out of the hand of all his enemies, and from out of the hand of Saul. 2 And he said: O Lord, my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 3 my God shall be my guard, I will trust in Him, He is my protector, and the horn of my salvation, my supporter, and my refuge; Thou shall save me from the unjust man. 4 I will call upon the Lord for He is worthy to be praised, and I shall be saved from my enemies. 5 For the afflictions of death encompassed me, the rushing torrents of iniquity astound me; 6 * the pangs of death surrounded me, the shackles of death anticipated me. 7 When I am afflicted I will call upon the Lord, and I will cry out to my God, and He shall hear my voice from out of His temple, and my cry shall come into His ears. 8 And the earth was shaken up and quaked, and the foundations of the sky were confounded and torn asunder, because the Lord was angered with them. 9 There went up a smoke in His wrath, and fire out of His mouth devours; coals were kindled from Him. 10 And He bent the heavens, and came down, and there was darkness under His feet. 11 And He mounted upon the cherubim and did fly, and was seen upon wings of wind. 12 And He made darkness His hiding place around Him; His tabernacle was a darkness of waters, He condensed it with clouds of air. 13 From the brightness before Him coals of fire were kindled. 14 The Lord thundered from out of heaven, and the Most High uttered His voice. 15 And He sent forth arrows, and scattered them, and He flashed lightning, and astounded them. 16 And the currents of the sea were seen, and the foundations of the world were uncovered, at the rebuke of the Lord, by the blast of the breath of His * anger. 17 He sent from on high, and took me; He drew me out of many waters. 18 He delivered me from the strength of my enemies, from those who hated me, for they were stronger than I. 19 They confronted me in the days of my * affliction, but the Lord was my support. 20 And He brought me into a wide place, and delivered me, because he delighted in me. 21 And the Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness; even according to the purity of my hands did He reward me. 22 Because, I kept the ways of the Lord, and did not wickedly depart from my God. 23 For all His judgments and His * ordinances were before me, I did not departed from them. 24 And I shall be blameless before him, and will keep myself from my iniquity. 25 And the Lord will reward me according to my righteousness and according to the purity of my hands before His eyes. 26 With the holy ones thou will be deemed holy, and * with the perfect man thou will be deemed perfect, 27 and with the select thou will be select, and with the crooked thou will be crooked. 28 And thou will save the * poor people, and will lower your eyes on the haughty. 29 For thou, Lord, art my lamp and the Lord will illuminate for me my darkness. 30 For in thee I shall run as a lightly armed man, and in my God shall I scale a wall. 31 The Mighty One, His way is blameless; the word of the Lord is * strong, tried in the fire; He is a protector to all who place their trust on Him. 32 * Who is strong except the Lord? And who will be a Creator except our God? 33 It is * The Mighty One who strengthens me with power, and has shaken my way clear of blemishes, 34 making my feet like the feet of a deer, and setting me upon the high places, 35 teaching my hands for war, and breaking the bronze bow with my arm. 36 And thou have given me a shield for my salvation, and thy answer to my prayer has increased me, 37 and you have widened my footsteps under me, and my legs did not totter. 38 I will pursue my enemies, and will utterly destroy them; and I will not turn again until I have finished them. 39 And I will crush them, and they shall not rise; and they shall fall under my feet. 40 And thou shall strengthen me with power for battle; thou shall cause those who rise up against me to bow down under me. 41 And thou have caused my enemies to flee before me, even those who hated me, and thou have killed them. 42 They shall shout, and there shall be no helper; to the Lord, but He did not hearken to them. 43 And I ground them down like the dust of the earth; I beat them fine like the dirt of the streets. 44 And thou shall deliver me from * disputes with peoples; thou shall keep me to be the head of the nations; a people that I did not know was subject to me. 45 Foreign sons deceived me; however, with a hearing ear they * obeyed me. 46 Foreign sons shall be cast away, and shall stumble out of their * confinements. 47 As the Lord lives! * And blessed be my guardian! And my God, the keeper of my salvation shall be exalted! 48 The Lord who avenges me is strong, chastening the nations underneath me, 49 and bringing me out from my enemies. And thou shall set me on high from among those that rise up against me; thou shall deliver me from the man of transgressions. 50 Therefore will I acknowledge Thee, O Lord, among the nations, and sing forth Thy name in praise. 51 He magnifies the deliverance of his king, and does mercy towards His anointed, even to David and to his seed forever.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “The ropes of Hades surrounded me”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “rage”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “destruction” or “calamity”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “orders”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “with the innocent ones thou will be deemed innocent”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “gentle”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omit: “strong”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “For who is God except the Lord?”

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “God”.

* The phrase “disputes with peoples” (μάχης λαῶν) has a militaristic sense. The word “peoples” (λαῶν) probably refers more specifically to an army.

* The word “obeyed” (ἤκουσάν) is literally translated as “heard” or “listened”, but has the sense that once people hear of David and his exploits they become fearful and submit to his rule without putting up a fight.

* The word “confinements” (συγκλεισμῶν) has a strong connotation of “prison”. The foreigner’s besieged cities are seen as their prisons because of David’s military might against them.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “And blessed be He who shaped me”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 23

And these are the last words of David: Faithful is David, the son of Jesse, and faithful the man, whom the Lord raised up to be the anointed of the God of Jacob, and * befitting are the psalms of Israel. 2 The Spirit of the Lord spoke in me, and His word was upon my tongue. * 3 The God of Israel spoke thus, The protector of Israel spoke to me saying, Speak a parable among men; how might ye strengthen fear of God? 4 And by God may the sun rise in the morning at the light of dawn; the morning did not pass from brightness, and as it were after the rain of the tender grass upon the earth. 5 For is my house not so with * The Mighty One? For he has made an everlasting covenant with me, * ready and guarded at all time; * for my entire salvation and my every desire is, that the lawless should not flourish. 6 All these are as a thorn-bush being thrust forth, for they shall not be taken by hand, 7 and a man shall not labor among them; and one shall have a spear shaft that is fully armed with iron, and they shall be burned with fire, and they shall be burned in their shame. 8 These are the names of the powerful men of David: Jebosthe the Chananite, commander of the third part, Adinon the Asonite, he drew his broadsword against eight hundred soldiers at once. 9 And after him is * Eleanan the son of his father’s brother, the son of * Souditis, who was among the three powerful men. He was with David in Serran, and when they reproached him among the * Philistines, they were gathered there for battle, and all the men of Israel went up. 10 He arose and struck down the * Philistines, until his hand grew tired, and his hand stuck to the dagger, and the Lord brought about a great deliverance in that day; and the people stayed behind him only * to strip the slain. 11 And after him Samaia, the son of * Asa, the * Arouchite. And the * Philistines were gathered at * Theria; and there was there a portion of the field full of lentils; and the people fled from before the face of the * Philistines. 12 And he stood firm in the midst of the portion, and delivered it, and struck down the * Philistines, and the Lord brought about a great deliverance. 13 And three from out of the Thirty * went down, and came into * Kason to David, into the cave of Odollam; and there was a contingent of the * Philistines encamped in the valley of * Raphaim. 14 And David was then in the stronghold, and the garrison of the * Philistines was then in Bethlehem. 15 And David longed and said, Who will give me water to drink out of the well that is in Bethlehem by the gate? But the garrison of the * Philistines was then in Bethlehem. 16 And the three powerful men broke through into the camp of the * Philistines, and drew water out of the well that was in Bethlehem that was by the gate, and took it and came to David. And he would not drink it, but poured it out as a libation to the Lord. 17 And he said, be gracious to me, O Lord, for doing this. Should I drink of the blood of the men who went at the risk of their own lives? And he would not drink it. These things the three powerful men did do. 18 And * Abessa, the brother of Joab, the son of Sarouia, he was chief among the three, and he awakened his spear against three hundred who were slain, and he * had a name among Three. 19 Of those Three he was most honorable, and he became a chief over them, but he did not come from among the Three. 20 And * Banaias, the son of * Jodae, * he was a man abundant in deeds, from Kabeseel, and he struck down the two sons of Ariel of Moab. He also went down and struck down a lion in the midst of the pit on a snowy day. 21 He struck down the Egyptian man, an impressive-looking man, and in the hand of the Egyptian was a spear, as tall as a wooden ladder, and he went down to him with a staff, and snatched the spear from out of the Egyptian’s hand, and killed him with his own spear. 22 These things did * Banaias, the son of Jodae, and he * had a name among the Three powerful men. 23 He was greatly honored among the Three, but he did not attain to the first Three. And David * appointed him as his reporter. And these are the names of King David’s powerful men: 24 Asael Joab’s brother; he was among the thirty, Eleanan the son of Doudi his father’s brother in Bethlehem. 25 * Samai the Aroudite, Elika the Arodite. 26 * Selles the Kelothite, * Iras the son of Ekkas the Thekoite. 27 Abiezer the * Anathothite, of the sons of the * Asothite. 28 * Ellon the Aoite, * Moore the Netophathite, 29 * Eththi the son of Riba of Gabaeth, the son of Benjamin, 30 * Banaias the Pharathenite, * Ouri of Nahaligaias, 31 * Abiel the son of the Arabothite, Azmoth the Barsamite, 32 * Eliasou the Salabonite, the sons of Jaban, Jonathan, 33 * Samnan the Arodite, Achian the son of Arai the Saraourite. 34 * Aliphaleth the son of Asbites, the son of the Maachathi, Eliab the son of Achitophel the Gelonite. 35 * Asrai the Karmelite, Pharai the Erchi. 36 * Gaal the son of Nathan who comes from valiant stock, the son of Galaadei, 37 * Elie the Ammanite, Gelorai the Berothaite, armor-bearer of Joab, the son of Sarouia. 38 * Iras the Iethiraite, Gareb the Eththenaite, 39 Uriah the Hittite. There were thirty-seven in all.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “The God of Israel spoke to me, saying, Rule justly among men, and be a ruler with the fear of God”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “God”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “to save me”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “for my entire salvation and my every desire is in the Lord, for the lawless shall not flourish”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Eleazar”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Sousei”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Doudi”, other LXX codices read: “Doudei”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “for the despoilment of the corpses”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Agoa”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Aga”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Ararite”.

* The word Θηρία is literally translated as “Wild Beasts” or “Animals.” In this instance it can be properly translated as “The Place of the Wild Beasts” as it carried the connotation of a place name.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “rulers”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Kadon”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Kasoar”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “titans”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “Raphain”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Abeisa”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abisai”.

* i.e. “gained fame among the Three”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Joiadae”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “the son of a powerful man, who was abundant in deeds, from Kabeseel”.

* i.e. “gained fame among the Three powerful men”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “established”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Saima the Roudite”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Sammai the Aroudite, Enaka the Arodite”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Elles the Phelothi”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Eiras the son of Eiska”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Anothite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Anothite”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Sellom the Aoeite”, Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “Selmon the Aoite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Noere the Entophateite”, * Codex Vaticanus reads: “Maeraei the Nepophatheite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Maharai the Netophathite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Esthaei the son of Reibaek of Gabaeth, the son of Benjamin the Ephrathaite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Eththi the son of Ribai from the mountain of Benjamin”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Aththai of Naaleas”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Hdai of Nahaligaias”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Asboth the Bardiameite”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Aeielbon the Arbotheite, Moth the Baromeite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Abi-Albon the Arabothite, Azmoth the Barhmite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Emasou the Salabonite, the sons of Asan”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Eliab the Salabonite, the sons of Jaban”, Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta reads: “Eliasou the Salabonite, the sons of Jasan”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Eliaba the Salabonite, the sons of Jasen”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Samnan the Arodite, Amnan the son of Arai the Saraoureite”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Samnas the Arodite, Amnan the son of Arad the Arareite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sama the Arorite, Achiam the son of Sarar the Aradite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Aliphaleth the son of Asbites, the son of the Machachaachei, Eliab the son of Acheitophel the Geloneite”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Eliphalet the son of Aitite of the Machatai, Oueliaph the son of Achitophel the Geilonite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Eliphalet the son of Achasbai, the son of the Maachathi, Eliam the son of Achitophel the Gelonite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Asarai the Karmelite the son of Ouraioerchei”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Asarai the Karmelite, Pharaei the Aracheieite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Asare the Karmelite, Phaarai the Arbite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Gaal the son of Nathan who comes from valiant stock, the son of Galaaddei”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Gaal the son of Nathan who comes from valiant stock, the son of Gaddi”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Igaal the son of Nathan of Zouba, Bani the Gadite”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Elie the Ammanite, Gelore the Bethoraite, armor-bearer of Joab, the son of Sarouia”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Zblegi the Amonite, Gelore the Berothaite, armor-bearer of Joab, the son of Sarouia”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Zelek the Amonite, Nahari the Berothaite, armor-bearer of Joab, the son of Sarouia”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Eiras the Aitheiraite, Gerab the Eththenaite”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Eiras the Etheiraite, Gareth the Tethrite”, the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Iras the Iethraite, Gareb the Iethraite”.

Comment

II Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 24

And the anger of the Lord proceeded to burn forth against Israel, and * he stirred up David against them, saying, Go, count Israel and Judah. 2 And the king said to Joab commander of the army, who was with him, Go now through all the tribes of Israel * and Judah, from Dan and unto Bersabee, and inspect the people, and I will know the number of the people. 3 And Joab said to the king, Now may the Lord * God add to the people a hundred-fold just as they are, and may the eyes of my lord the king see it! But why does my lord the king desire this thing? 4 And the word of the king prevailed against Joab against the commanders of the army. And Joab and the commanders of the army went out before the king to inspect the people of Israel. 5 And they crossed the Jordan, and encamped in Aroer on the right side of the city which is in the midst of the valley of Gad and Eliezer. * 6 And they came to Galaad, and into the land of Thabason, which is Adasai, and they came to Danidan and Oudan, and went around to Sidon. 7 And they came to * Mapsar of Tyre, and to all the cities of the Evite and the Canaanite, and they came by * the South of Judah to * Bersabee. 8 And they went around the whole land, and they arrived at Jerusalem at the end of nine months and twenty days. 9 And Joab gave the number of the inspection of the people to the king, and Israel consisted of eight hundred thousand men of might that drew the broadsword, and the men of Judah were five hundred thousand men of war. 10 And the heart of David struck him after he had numbered the people, and David said to the Lord, I have sinned exceedingly in what I have done. Now, O Lord, remove the iniquity of Thy servant, for I have been very foolish. 11 And David rose early in the morning, and the word of the Lord came to the prophet Gad, the seer *, saying, 12 Go, and speak to David, saying, Thus saith the Lord, I bring one of three things upon thee, now choose thee one of them, and I will do it to thee. 13 And Gad went in to David, and told him, and said to him, Choose for thyself what shall befall thee, whether there shall come upon thee for three years famine in thy land; or that thou should flee three months before thy enemies, and they should pursue thee; or that there should be for three days * death in thy land. Now then decide, and see what answer I shall return to Him who sent me. 14 And David said to Gad, It is an exceedingly narrow choice for me on every side; I shall fall now into the hands of the Lord, for His compassions are very many, but I will not fall into the hands of man. 15 And David chose for himself * death. And they were the days of wheat harvest, and the Lord gave * a pestilence upon Israel from morning till noon, and the plague began among the people, and there died of the people from Dan even unto to Bersabee seventy thousand men. 16 And the angel * of God stretched out his hand towards Jerusalem to destroy her, but the Lord * relented over the evil, and said to the angel who was destroying among the people, It is enough now, withhold thy hand. And the angel of the Lord was by the threshing floor of Orna the Jebousite. 17 And David spoke to the Lord when he saw the angel striking among the people, and he said, Behold, it is I that have done wrong, I am the sheppard, I did evil, but these are the sheep; what have they done? Now let Thy hand be against me, and against my father’s house. 18 And Gad came to David in that day, and said to him, Go up, and set up an altar to the Lord on the threshing floor of Orna the Jebousite. 19 And David went up according to the word of Gad *, according as the Lord commanded him. 20 And Orna looked out, and saw the king and his servants coming near onto him, and Orna went forth, and did obeisance to the king with his face to the ground. 21 And Orna said, Why has my lord the king come to his servant? And David said, To buy from thee the threshing floor in order to build an altar to the Lord, that the plague may be stopped from over the people. 22 And Orna said to David, Let my lord the king take and offer up to the Lord that which is good in his eyes; behold, the oxen are for a whole burnt offering, and the wheels and equipment of the oxen are for wood. 23 Orna gave all to the king, and Orna said to the king, May the Lord thy God bless thee. 24 And the king said to Orna, Not so, I will buy it by buying it from thee at a fair price, and I will not offer to the Lord my God a whole burnt offering without payment. So David purchased the threshing floor and the oxen with fifty silver shekels. 25 And David built there an altar to the Lord, and offered up whole burnt offerings and peace offerings. And Solomon made an addition to the altar afterwards, for it was little at first. And the Lord hearkened to the land, and the plague was stayed from upon Israel.

* i.e. “The Devil” according to I Paralipomenon 21:1, which states: “Καὶ ἔστη διάβολος ἐν τῷ ᾿Ισραὴλ καὶ ἐπέσεισε τὸν Δαυὶδ τοῦ ἀριθμῆσαι τὸν ᾿Ισραήλ.” (And the Devil rose up in Israel, and stirred up David to count Israel). The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “σαταν” (Satan).

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “and Judah”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “thy God”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “And they came to Galaad, and into the land of Thabason, which is Adasai, and they came to Dan Eidan and Oudan, and went around to Sidon”. Codex Alexandrinus reads: “And they came to Galaad, and into the land of Ethaon of Adasai, and they came to Dan Jaran and Judah, and went around to Greater Sidon”. The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “And they came to Galaad, and into the land of Hettim Hadis, and they came to Dan, and went around Sidon”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Mabsar”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “the Jordan”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Bersabaie”.

* Codex Vaticanus adds: “of David”.

* i.e. “Plague”.

* i.e. “Plague”.

* Literally: “death”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits: “of God”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “changed His mind”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text adds: “the prophet”.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X