Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible - 3rd Kingdoms - Septuagint (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 15

And in the eighteenth year of the reign of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, Abiou the son of Roboam began to reign over Judah. 2 And he reigned three years * over Jerusalem, and his mother’s name was Maacha the daughter of Abessalom. 3 And he walked in the sins of his father which he did before him, and his heart was not perfect with the Lord, his God, as was the heart of his father David. 4 For because of David the Lord gave him a remnant, that he might establish his children after him and establish Jerusalem. 5 Forasmuch as David did that which was right before the Lord, he did not turn aside from any thing that He commanded him all the days of his life. 7 And the rest of the history of Abiou, and all that he did, behold, are not these written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Judah? And there was war between Abiou and between Jeroboam. 8 And Abiou slept with his fathers in the twenty-fourth year of Jeroboam, and he is buried with his fathers in the city of David, and Asa his son reigns in his stead. 9 In the twenty-fourth year of Jeroboam, the King of Israel, Asa began to reign over Judah. 10 And he reigned forty-one years in Jerusalem, and his mother’s name was Ana, daughter of Abessalom. 11 And Asa did that which was right before the Lord, as David his father. 12 And he removed the unholy rites out of the land, and removed all the wicked practices which his fathers did. 13 And he also removed Ana his mother from being * Queen, forasmuch as she conducted a meeting in her sacred grove, and Asa cut down her retreats, and burned them with fire by the rushing brook of Kedron. 14 But he did not remove the high places; nevertheless the heart of Asa was perfect with the Lord all his days. 15 And he brought in the pillars of his father; he even brought in his gold and silver pillars into the house of the Lord, and his implements. 16 And there was war between Asa and between Baasa the King of Israel all their days. 17 And Baasa the King of Israel went up against Judah, and built Rama, to stop anyone from going out and come in to Asa the King of Judah. 18 And Asa took all the silver and the gold that was found * in the treasures of the house of the Lord, and in the treasures of the house of the king, and gave them into the hands of his servants, and King Asa sent them away to the son of Ader, the son of Taberemma, the son of Azin the King of Syria, who lived in Damascus, saying, 19 Make a covenant between me and thee, and between my father and thy father; behold! I have sent to thee gifts of gold and silver; go, break thy covenant with Baasa King of Israel, and he will withdraw from me. 20 And the son of Ader listened to King Asa, and sent the commanders of his forces against the cities of Israel and they struck down Ain and Dan, and Abelmaa * and all of * Chennereth as far as the whole land of Nephthali. 21 And it came to pass when Baasa heard it, that he stopped building Rama, and returned to Thersa. 22 And King Asa made a proclamation to all Judah up to Ainakim, and they carried away the stones of Rama and her timber which Baasa built, and King Asa built with them upon the whole hill of Benjamin, and the watchtower. 23 And the rest of the history of Asa, and all his dominance which he wielded, * and the cities which he built, behold, are not these written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Judah? However, in the time of his old age he was diseased in his feet. 24 And Asa slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David * his father and Josaphat his son reigned in his stead. 25 And Nadab the son of Jeroboam reigned over Israel in the second year of Asa King of Judah, and he reigned over Israel for two years. 26 And he did what was evil before the Lord, and went in the way of his father and in his sins wherein he caused Israel to sin. 27 And Baasa the son of Achia, who was over the house of Belaan, besieged him, and struck him down in Gabathon, which belonged to the * Philistines, and Nadab and all Israel were besieging Gabathon. 28 And Baasa killed him in the third year of Asa the son of Abiou King of Judah and reigned in his stead. 29 And it came to pass, when he reigned, that he struck down the whole house of Jeroboam, and left none that breathed of Jeroboam, until he has destroyed it, according to the word of the Lord, which He spoke by the hand of His servant Achia the Selonite, 30 for the sins of Jeroboam, who led Israel into sin, even by his provocation where with he provoked the Lord God of Israel. 31 And the rest of the history of Nadab, and all that he did, behold, are not these things written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel? 33 And in the third year of Asa King of Judah, Baasa the son of Achia began to reign over Israel in Thersa for twenty-four years. 34 And he did what was evil before the Lord and went in the way of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, and in his sins wherein he caused Israel to sin.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “over Jerusalem”; Codex Alexandrinus reads: “in Jerusalem”.

* The Greek phrase ἡγουμένην literally means “a female leader”. Therefore, the phrase is properly rendered as “Queen”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “in the treasures of the house of the Lord”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “…of the house of Maacha”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Chezrath”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “and the cities which he built”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “his father”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 16

And the word of the Lord came by the hand of Iou the son of Anani to Baasa, saying, 2 Since I raised thee up from the ground, and gave thee as a ruler over My people Israel, and thou went in the way of Jeroboam, and made My people Israel to sin, provoking Me to anger with their vanities, 3 Behold, I am stirring up enemies to go after Baasa, and after his house, and I will render thy house as the house of Jeroboam the son of Nabat. 4 Any one who belongs to Baasa, who dies in the city, the dogs shall devour him; and any one of his who dies in the field, the birds of the sky shall devour him. 5 And the rest of the history of Baasa, and all that he did, and his mighty acts, behold, are not these written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel? 6 And Baasa slept with his fathers, and they bury him in Thersa, and * Ela his son reigned in his stead in the twentieth year of King Asa. 7 And the Lord spoke by the hand of Iou the son of Anani against Baasa, and against his house, even all the evil which he did before the Lord to provoke Him to anger by the works of his hands, in being like the house of Jeroboam, and because He struck it down. * 8 And Ela the son of Baasa reigned over Israel two years in Thersa. 9 And Zambri, captain of half his cavalry, conspired against him, while he was in Thersa, drinking himself drunk in the house of Osa the steward at Thersa. 10 And Zambri went in and struck him down and killed him, and reigned in his stead. 11 And it came to pass when he reigned, when he sat upon his throne, that he struck down the whole house of Baasa, 12 according to the word which the Lord spoke against the house of Baasa, and to the prophet Iou, 13 for all the sins of Baasa and Ela his son, as he made Israel sin, to provoke the Lord God of Israel to anger with their vain things. 14 And the rest of the history of Ela which he did, behold, are not these written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel? 15 And Zambri reigned in Thersa seven days. And the camp of Israel was against Gabathon of the * Philistines, 16 and the people who were encamped heard, saying, Zambri has conspired and struck down the king, and in Israel they made Ambri, the captain of the army, king over Israel on that day in the camp. 17 And Ambri went up, and all Israel with him, from Gabathon and they besieged Thersa. 18 And it came to pass, when Zambri saw that his city was taken, that he went into the * inner chamber of the house of the king, and burned down the king’s house over himself, and died. 19 Because of his sins which he committed, doing that which was evil before the Lord, to go in the way of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, and in his sins wherein he made Israel to sin. 20 And the rest of the history of Zambri, and his conspiracies wherein he conspired, behold, are these not written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel? 21 Then the people of Israel were divided; half of the people were behind Thamni the son of Gonath to make him king, and the other half of the people were behind Ambri. 22 The people that were behind Ambri overpowered the people that were behind Thamni the son of Gonath, and Thamni died and Joram his brother, at that time, and Ambri became king after Thamni. 23 In the thirty-first year of King Asa, * Ambri began to reign over Israel for twelve years. He reigned six years in Thersa. 24 And Ambri bought Mount Semeron from Semer, the proprietor of the mountain, for two talents of silver, and he built upon the mountain, and they called the name of the mountain on which he built Semeron after the name of Semer, the proprietor of the mountain. 25 And Ambri did that which was evil before the Lord, and did more wickedness than all who were before him. 26 And he went in every way of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, and in his sins with which he made Israel to sin, provoking the Lord God of Israel to anger with their vanities. 27 And the rest of the words of Ambri, and all that he did, and all his might, behold, are these not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel? 28 And Ambri slept with his fathers, and is buried in Samaria, and Achaab his son reigned in his stead. 28a And in the eleventh year of Ambri Josaphat the son of Asa began to reign, being thirty-five years old at the beginning of his reign, and he reigned twenty-five years in Jerusalem, and his mother’s name was Gazouba the daughter of Seli. 28b And he went in the way of Asa his father, and he did not turn aside from it to do what was right before the Lord; only they did not remove any of the high places. They kept sacrificing and offering incense on the high places. 28c And the engagements which Josaphat made * with the King of Israel, and all his mighty deeds which he performed, and with whom he fought against, behold, are not these written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Judah? 28d And the rest of the illicit sexual acts which they practiced in the days of Asa his father, he removed from the land. 28e And there was no king in Syria, only a deputy. 28f And King Josaphat made a ship for Tharsis, to go to Sophir for gold, but it did not go, for the ship was wrecked at Gasion Gaber. 28g Then the King of Israel said to Josaphat, I will send forth thy servants and my young men in the ship, but Josaphat refused. 28h And Josaphat slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David, and Joram his son reigned in his stead. 29 In the second year of Josaphat * the King of Judah, Achaab the son of *Ambri began to reign; he reigned over Israel in Samaria twenty-two years. 30 And Achaab did that which was evil before the Lord, and was more wicked than all who were before him. 31 And it was not enough for him to go in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, but he took as his wife Jezebel the daughter of Jethebaal the King of the Sidonians and he went and was subject to Baal, and did obeisance to him. 32 And he set an altar for Baal in the house of his offences which he built in Samaria. 33 And Achaab made a grove, and Achaab added to do his provocations to provoke to anger * the Lord God of Israel, so that his own life should be destroyed; he did more evil than all the kings of Israel who were before him. 34 And in his days Achiel the Bethelite built Jericho; he laid the foundation of it with Abiron his firstborn, and he set up the doors of it with Segoub his younger son, according to the word of the Lord, which He spoke by the hand of Joshua the son of Naue.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Elaan”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads verse 8 as follows: “In the twenty-eighth year of Asa King of Judah, Ela the son of Baasa reigned over Israel two years in Thersa”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.
      * The Greek word ἄντρον literally means “cave,” but in this context it means the “inner chamber” of the king’s house. The underlying Hebrew word is אַרְמוֹן which means “citadel, palace or fortress”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Zambri”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “with the King of Israel”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “the King of Israel”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Zambri”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 17

And Elijah the prophet, the Thesbite of Thesbon of Galaad, said to Achaab, The Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, lives, before whom I stand, there will not be dew nor rain these years, except by the word of my mouth. 2 And the word of the Lord came to Elijah, saying, 3 Depart from here eastward, and hide thyself by the torrent-stream of Chorrath, which is before the Jordan. 4 And it will be that thou shall drink water from the stream, and I will command the ravens to feed thee there. 5 And Elijah did according to the word of the Lord, and he settled by the torrent-stream of Chorrath before the Jordan. 6 And the ravens would bring him bread in the morning, and meat in the evening and he drank water from the stream. 7 And it came to pass after some days that the torrent-stream dried up, because there was no rain upon the land. 8 And the word of the Lord came to Elijah, saying, 9 Arise, and go to Sarepta of Sidonia; behold, I have there commanded a widow there to feed thee. 10 And he arose and went to Sarepta, and came to the gate of the city: and, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks, and Elijah cried after her, and said to her, Bring me now a little water in a vessel that I may drink. 11 And she went to get it, and Elijah cried after her, and said to her, Indeed get for me a morsel of bread in thy hand. 12 And the woman said, As the Lord thy God lives, I do not have a cake, but only a handful of meal in the jar, and a little oil in a jug, and, behold, I am going to gather two sticks, and I shall go in and make it for myself and my children, and we shall eat it and die. 13 And Elijah said to her, Be of good courage, go in and do according to thy word, but first make me a little cake, and thou shall bring it to me, and thereafter thou shall make some for thyself and thy children. 14 For thus saith the Lord, The jar of meal shall not fail, and the jug of oil shall not diminish until the day that the Lord gives rain upon the land. 15 And the woman went and did so, and did eat, she, and he, and her children. 16 And the jar of meal did not fail, and the jug of oil did not diminish according to the word of the Lord which He spoke by the hand of Elijah. 17 And it came to pass afterward, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, became sick, and his sickness was very severe until there was no breath left in him. 18 And she said to Elijah, What to me and to thee, O man of God? Have thou come in to me to bring my iniquities to remembrance, and to put to death my son? 19 And Elijah said to the woman, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up to the upper chamber in which he himself lodged, and laid him on his bed. 20 And Elijah cried aloud, and said, Alas, O Lord, the witness of the widow, her with whom I am staying, Thou have done evil by putting to death her son. 21 And he breathed on the child three times, and called on the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, let this child’s life now come again into him. 22 And it was so, and the child cried out. 23 and he brought him down from the upper chamber into the house, and gave him to his mother; and Elijah said, See, thy son is alive. 24 And the woman said to Elijah, Behold, I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in thy mouth is true.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 18

And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the Lord came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, and appear before Achaab, and I will bring rain upon the face of the land. 2 And Elijah went to appear before Achaab, and the famine was severe in Samaria. 3 And Achaab summoned *Abdiou the steward. (And Abdiou feared the Lord greatly, 4 and it came to pass when Jezebel killed the prophets of the Lord, that Abdiou took a hundred men, prophets, and hid them by fifty in a cave, and provided them with bread and water.) 5 And Achaab said to Abdiou, Come, and let us go through the land, and to the springs of water, and to the torrent-streams, if possibly we may find grass, and keep the horses and mules alive, and none of the animals will be destroyed. 6 And they made a division of the way between them to pass through it; Achaab went in one way alone, and Abdiou went in another way alone. 7 And Abdiou was alone on the way, and Elijah came alone to meet him, and Abdiou hasted and fell upon his face and said, Art thou indeed he, my lord Elijah? 8 And Elijah said to him, It is I; go, say to thy master, Behold, Elijah is here. 9 And Abdiou said, What sin have I committed, that thou gives thy servant into the hand of Achaab to kill me? 10 As the Lord thy God lives, there is not a nation or kingdom, where my lord has not sent to seek thee, and if they said, He is not here, then he would set fire to the kingdom and its territories, because he has not found thee. 11 And now thou say, Go, tell thy master, Behold, Elijah is here. 12 And it shall come to pass when I shall have departed from thee that the Spirit of the Lord shall carry thee to a land that I do not know, and I shall go in to tell Achaab, and he shall not find thee and shall kill me, yet thy servant fears the Lord from his youth. 13 Has it not been told to thee my lord what I did when Jezebel killed the prophets of the Lord, that I hid a hundred men of the prophets of the Lord, by fifty to a cave, and provided them with bread and water? 14 And now thou say to me, Go, say to thy master, Behold, Elijah is here, and he shall kill me. 15 And Elijah said, As the Lord of Hosts lives, before whom I stand, this day I will appear before him. 16 And Abdiou went to meet Achaab, and told him, and Achaab ran forth, and came to meet Elijah. 17 And it came to pass, when Achaab saw Elijah, that Achaab said to Elijah, Art thou he that perverts Israel? 18 And Elijah said, I do not pervert Israel, but it is thou and thy father’s house, in that ye forsook the Lord your God, and thou went after the Baalim. 19 And now send, gather all of Israel for Me at Mount Carmel, and the four hundred and fifty prophets of shame, and the four hundred prophets of the groves, since they eat at Jezebel’s table. 20 And Achaab sent to all Israel, and gathered all the prophets at Mount Carmel. 21 And Elijah drew near to them all, and Elijah said to them, How long will ye go limping on both legs? If the Lord is God, follow after him, but if Baal is he, follow after him. And the people did not answer a word. 22 And Elijah said to the people, I am left, the one lone prophet of the Lord, and the prophets of Baal number four hundred and fifty men, and the prophets of the groves four hundred. 23 Let them give us two bulls, and let them choose one for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on the wood, and let them put on no fire, and I will do the other bull, and put on no fire. 24 And do ye call loudly on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord, my God, and it will come to pass, that the God who shall answer by fire, he is God. And all the people answered and said, The word which thou have spoken is good. 25 And Elijah said to the prophets of shame, Choose for yourselves the one bull calf, and do it first, for ye are many, and call on the name of your god, but apply no fire. 26 And they took the bull calf and did it first, and called on the name of Baal from morning until noon, and said, hear us, O Baal, hear us. And there was no voice, neither was there hearing, and they ran up about on the altar which they had made. 27 And it was noon, and Elijah the Thesbite mocked them, and said, Call with a loud voice, for he is a god, and he may be meditating, or perhaps he is simultaneously giving an oracle, or perhaps he is asleep, and needs to be awakened. 28 And they cried with a loud voice, and cut themselves according to their custom with daggers and lances until the blood gushed out over them. 29 And they prophesied until the evening came. And it came to pass, as it was the time for the sacrifice to ascend and there was no voice, that Elijah the Thesbite spoke to the prophets of the abominations, saying, Stand aside for the time being, and I will offer my whole burnt offering. So they stood aside and departed.
          30 And Elijah said to the people, Come closer to me. And all the people came closer to him. 31 And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of Israel, as the Lord had spoken to him, saying, Israel shall be thy name. 32 And he built up the stones in the name of the Lord, and repaired the altar that had been thrown down, and he made a trench that would hold two measures of seed around the altar. 33 And he piled up the firewood on the altar that he had made, and divided the whole burnt offering, and laid it on the firewood, and pile it on the altar, and said, Bring me four pitchers of water, and pour it on the whole burnt offering, and on the firewood. And they did so. 34 And he said, Do it a second time, and they did it a second time. And he said, Do it a third time. And they did it a third time. 35 And the water ran all around the altar, and filled the trench with water. 36 And Elijah cried aloud to the heaven, and said, O Lord, God of Abraham, and Isaac, and Israel, answer me, O Lord, answer me this day by fire, and let all this people know that Thou art the Lord, the God of Israel, and I am Thy servant, and for Thy sake I have done these works. 37 Heed me, O Lord, heed me with fire, and let this people know that Thou art the Lord God, and that Thou have turned back the heart of this people. 38 Then fire fell from the Lord out of heaven, and consumed the whole burnt offering, and the firewood and the water that was in the trench, and the stones, and the fire licked up the dirt. 39 And all the people fell on their faces, and said, Truly the Lord is God, He is God. 40 And Elijah said to the people, Seize the prophets of Baal; Do not let one of them escape. And they seized them, and Elijah brought them down to the torrent-stream of Kisson, and slaughtered them there. 41 And Elijah said to Achaab, Go up, and eat and drink, for there is a sound of the * batter of rain. 42 And Achaab went up to eat and to drink, and Elijah went up to Carmel, and bowed down to the ground, and put his face between his knees, 43 and said to his servant, Go up, and look toward the sea. And the servant looked, and said, There is nothing. And Elijah said, Do thou then go again seven times. And the servant went again seven times. 44 And it came to pass at the seventh time, that, behold, a little cloud like the sole of a man’s foot was bringing water. And he said, Go up, and say to Achaab, make ready thy chariot, and go down; do not let the rain overtake thee. 45 And it came to pass after a while, that the sky grew black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain, and Achaab wept, and went to Jezrael. 46 And the hand of the Lord was upon Elijah, and he girded up his loins, and ran ahead of Achaab to Jezrael.

* In Hebrew “Obadiah” - עבדיה . In the Septuagint his name is either “Abdiou” - Αβδιοὺ or “Obdiou” - Οβδιού.

* The Greek word here is ποδῶν which literally means “feet”. The sense is the sound that feet make that is analogous to the sound that rain makes as it hits the ground.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 19

And Achaab told Jezebel his wife all that Elijah had done, and how he killed the prophets with the broadsword. 2 And Jezebel sent to Elijah, and said, If thou art Elijah and I am Jezebel, God do so to me, and more also, if I do not make thy life by this time tomorrow like the life of one of them. 3 And Elijah was afraid, and got up, and departed for his life and he came to Beersheba in the land of Judah, and he left his servant there. 4 And he himself went a day’s journey in the wilderness, and came and sat under a broom tree, and asked that his life might end, and said, Let it be enough now, O Lord, truly take away my life from me for I am no better than my fathers. 5 And he lay down and fell asleep there under the tree, and behold, someone touched him, and said to him, Arise and eat. 6 And Elijah looked, and, behold, at his head there was a wheat cake and a jar of water, and he arose, and ate and drank, and turned away to sleep some more. 7 And the angel of the Lord returned a second time, and touched him, and said to him, Arise, and eat, for the journey will be too great for thee. 8 And he arose, and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights as far as Mount Horeb. 9 And he entered there into a cave, and remained there; and, behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said, Why art thou here, Elijah? 10 And Elijah said, Being zealous, I have been zealous for the Lord Almighty, because the sons of Israel have forsaken Thee; they have thrown down Thine altars, and have killed Thy prophets with the broadsword, and I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it. 11 And He said, Thou shall go forth tomorrow, and shall stand before the Lord on the mountain; behold, the Lord will pass by. And, behold, there was a great strong wind splitting the mountains, and crushing the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind, and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake, 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire, and after the fire the sound of a gentle breeze, and the Lord was there. 13 And it came to pass, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went forth and stood by the cave, and, behold, a voice came to him and said, Why art thou here, Elijah? 14 And Elijah said, Being zealous, I have been zealous for the Lord Almighty, for the sons of Israel have forsaken Thy covenant, and they have torn down Thine altars, and have killed Thy prophets with the broadsword, and I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it. 15 And the Lord said to him, Go, return on thy way, and thou will come to the way of the wilderness of Damascus, and thou shall go and anoint Azael as King of Syria. 16 And Iou the son of Namessi shall thou anoint as King over Israel, and Elisha the son of Saphat * shall thou anoint to be prophet in thy stead. 17 And it shall come to pass, that he who escapes from the broadsword of Azael, Iou shall kill, and he who escapes from the broadsword of Iou, Elisha shall kill. 18 And thou shall leave in Israel seven thousand men, all the knees that did not bow a knee to Baal, and every mouth that did not do obeisance him. 19 And he departed from there, and found Elisha the son of Saphat, and he was plowing with oxen; there were twelve yoke of oxen ahead of him, and he was with the twelve, and he came upon him, and threw his mantle over him. 20 And Elisha left the cattle, and ran after Elijah and said, I will kiss my father, and will follow after thee. And Elijah said, Go back, for I am done with thee. 21 And he returned from following him, and took a yoke of oxen, and slaughtered them, and boiled them with the equipment of the oxen, and gave to the people, and they ate, and he arose, and went after Elijah and ministered to him.

* Codex Vaticanus adds: “from Ebalmaoula”; Codex Alexandrinus adds: “from Abelmaoul”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 20

And Nabouthai the Jezraelite had a vineyard, near the threshing floor of Achaab King of Samaria. 2 And Achaab spoke to Nabouthai, saying, Give me thy vineyard, and I will have it for a vegetable garden, for it is near my house, and I will give thee another vineyard better than it; or if it seems pleasing before thee, I will give thee money in exchange for this thy vineyard, and I will have it for a vegetable garden. 3 And Nabouthai said to Achaab, May God forbid me that I should give thee the inheritance of my fathers. 4 And the spirit of Achaab became troubled, and he lay down on his bed, and covered his face, and did not eat bread. 5 And Jezebel his wife came in to him, and spoke to him, saying, Why is thy spirit troubled, and why do thou not eat bread? 6 And he said to her, Because I spoke to Nabouthai the Jezraelite, saying, Give me thy vineyard for money, or if thou prefer, I will give thee another vineyard for it, and he said, I will not give thee the inheritance of my fathers. 7 And Jezebel his wife said to him, Do thou now thus act the king over Israel? Arise, eat bread, and be thyself, I will give thee the vineyard of Nabouthai the Jezraelite.
              8 And she wrote a document in the name of Achaab, and sealed it with his seal, and sent the document to the elders, and to the freemen who lived with Nabouthai. 9 And it was written in the documents, saying, Fast a fast, and seat Nabouthai in a chief place among the people. 10 And seat two men, sons of transgressors, opposite him, and let them testify against him, saying, Thou have blessed God and king, and let them take him out, and stone him, and let them die. 11 And the men of his city, the elders, and the freemen, who lived in his city, did as Jezebel sent to them, just as it was written in the documents that she sent to them. 12 And they proclaimed a fast, and seated Nabouthai at the head of the people. 13 And two men, sons of transgressors, came in, and sat opposite him, and bore witness against him, saying, Thou have blessed God and king. And they took him outside the city, and stoned him with stones, and he died. 14 And they sent to Jezebel, saying, Nabouthai has been stoned, and is dead. 15 And it came to pass, when Jezebel heard this, that she said to Achaab, Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Nabouthai the Jezraelite, which he refused to give to thee for silver, for Nabouthai is no longer alive, for he is dead. 16 And it came to pass, when Achaab heard that Nabouthai the Jezraelite was dead, that he tore his garments, and put on sackcloth; and it came to pass afterward, that Achaab arose and went down to the vineyard of Nabouthai the Jezraelite, to take possession of it. 17 And the Lord said to Elijah the Thesbite, saying, 18 Arise, and go down to meet Achaab the King of Israel, who is in Samaria, for he is in the vineyard of Nabouthai, for he has gone down there to take possession of it. 19 And thou shall speak to him, saying, Thus saith the Lord, Forasmuch as thou have murdered and taken possession, therefore thus saith the Lord, In every place where the swine and the dogs have licked up the blood of Nabouthai, there the dogs will lick up thy blood, and the prostitutes will wash themselves in thy blood. 20 And Achaab said to Elijah, Have thou found me, O my enemy? And he said, I have found thee, because thou have vainly sold thyself to work evil before the Lord, to provoke Him to anger. 21 Behold, I am bringing evil upon thee, and I will kindle a fire after thee, and I will cut off every male from Achaab, both those who are shut up and whose who are left in Israel. 22 And I will render thy house like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, and like the house of Baasa the son of Achia, because of the provocations where with thou have provoked Me, and made Israel to sin. 23 And the Lord spoke to Jezebel, saying, The dogs shall devour her by the fortification of Jezrael. 24 The dogs will eat the dead of Achaab that are in the city and the birds of the sky shall eat his dead that are in the field. 25 But Achaab did act wickedly when he sold himself to do that which was evil before the Lord, as his wife Jezebel led him astray. 26 And he acted very abominably in going after abominations, according to all that the Amorites did, whom the Lord utterly destroyed from before the face of the sons of Israel. 27 And because of the word, when Achaab was stricken with remorse before the face of the Lord, he went with weeping, and tore his garment, and girded himself with sackcloth on his body, and fasted; he also put on sackcloth in the day that he struck down Nabouthai the Jezraelite, and went his way. 28 And the word of the Lord came by the hand of his servant Elijah concerning Achaab, and the Lord said, 29 Have thou seen how Achaab is stricken with remorse before My face? I will not bring the evil in his days, but in his son’s days will I bring the evil.

Comment

What is your rationale for how you transliterate proper names? I notice that you're using "Elijah", but otherwise are tending toward exact transliterations.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As much as I want to transliterate I have had a lot of complaints over it so I compromised. The more well known names like Elijah, and a few others I put in their familiar English translation, but those names that are not so well know I transliterate. The ONLY one I translated different because there was a theological basis for it was "Joshua." I did not translate his name as "Joshua," but as Jesus son of Naue. Why? because the Greek Church Father's make a lot of theological hay out of his name being the same as Jesus' name and that they see many parallels in their between them and their works of salvation. One (Joshua/Jesus) physically saved his people and brought them into the promised land, Jesus Christ saves "US" his people and brings us into the promised land (i.e. The Kingdom of Heaven).

People may not see a method to my madness, but there definitely is one. I hope this helps. Oh and by the way...

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 21

And the son of Ader gathered all his forces, and went up and laid siege upon Samaria, and thirty-two kings with him, and every horse and chariot, and they went up and laid siege upon Samaria, and fought against her. 2 And he sent into the city to Achaab the King of Israel, and said to him, Thus says the son of Ader, 3 Thy silver and thy gold are mine, and thy wives and thy children are mine. 4 And the King of Israel answered and said, As thou have said, O lord, king, I am thine, and all that is mine. 5 And the messengers came again, and said, Thus says the son of Ader, I sent to thee, saying, Thou shall give me thy silver and thy gold, and thy wives and thy children. 6 For at this time tomorrow I will send my servants to thee, and they shall search thy house, and the houses of thy servants, and it shall be the desirable objects of their eyes, on which they shall lay their hands, they will take. 7 And the King of Israel called all the elders * of the land, and said, Truly, know, and see that this man is seeking trouble, for he has sent to me concerning my wives, and concerning my sons, and concerning my daughters; my silver and my gold I did not keep back from him. 8 And the elders and all the people said to him, Do not listen, and do not consent. 9 And he said to the messengers of the son of Ader, Say to your master, All things that thou have sent to thy servant about at first I will do, but this matter I cannot do. And the men departed, and returned this word to him. 10 And the son of Ader sent back to him, saying, This may God do to me, and more also, if the dust of Samaria shall suffice for foxes to all the people, even my infantry. 11 And the King of Israel answered and said, Let it be sufficient; let not the hunchbacked boast as he who is upright. 12 And it came to pass when he answered him this word, he and all the kings with him were drinking in tents, and he said to his servants, Build a stakewall! And they placed a stakewall against the city. 13 And, behold, a prophet came up to * Achaab the King of Israel, and said, Thus saith the Lord, Have thou seen this great multitude? Behold, I will give it this day into thy hand, and thou shall know that I am the Lord. 14 And Achaab said, By whom? And he said, Thus saith the Lord, By the young men who serve the district leaders. And Achaab said, Who shall begin the battle? And he said, Thou. 15 And Achaab mustered the young men who serve the district leaders, and they were two hundred and thirty, and afterwards he mustered the people, every son of power, * seven thousand. 16 And he went forth at noon, and the son of Ader was drinking and getting drunk in Sokchoth, he and the kings, even thirty-two kings, his allies. 17 And the young men who served the district leaders went forth first. And they send and report to the King of Syria, saying, Men have come forth from Samaria. 18 And he said to them, If they come out in peace, take them alive; and if they come forth for war, take them also alive, 19 and do not let the young men who serve the district leaders go out of the city. And the force that was behind them 20 struck down each one the man next to him, and he repeated, each the one man next to him, and Syria fled, and Israel pursued them, and the son of Ader, the King of Syria, escaped on a horse of a horseman. 21 And the King of Israel went forth, and took all the horses and the chariots, and struck a great chastisement on Syria. 22 And the prophet came to the King of Israel, and said, Strengthen thyself, and consider, and see what thou will do, for at the turning of the year the son of Ader, the King of Syria, will come up against thee. 23 And the servants of the King of Syria said, The God of Israel is a god of mountains and not a god of valleys, therefore he prevailed over us, but if we fight against them on the plain, then we shall prevail over them. 24 And do this thing: Send away the kings, each to their place, and set satraps in their place. 25 And we will exchange with thee an army like the army that ye have lost, both horse for horse, and chariot for chariot, and we will fight against them in the plain, and we shall prevail over them. And he hearkened to their voice, and did so. 26 And it came to pass, when the year turned that the son of Ader mustered Syria, and went up to Apheka to battle against Israel. 27 And the sons of Israel were mustered, and went out to meet them, and Israel encamped before them like two flocks of goats, but Syria filled the land. 28 And the man of God approached, and said to the King of Israel, Thus saith the Lord, Because Syria has said, The Lord God of Israel is a god of mountains, and not a god of the valleys, I will give this great army into thy hand, and thou shall know that I am the Lord. 29 And they encamped opposite each other for seven days, and it came to pass on the seventh day that the battle drew near, and Israel struck down Syria, one hundred thousand foot soldiers in one day. 30 And the rest fled into the city of Apheka, and the wall fell on twenty-seven thousand of the men that were left. And the son of Ader fled, and entered a house into the inner chamber of a bedroom. 31 And he said to his servants, I know that the kings of Israel are merciful kings; let us now put sackcloth around our waists, and ropes on our heads, and let us go forth to the King of Israel, perhaps he will spare our lives. 32 So they tied sackcloth around their waists, and put ropes on their heads, and said to the King of Israel, Thy servant the son of Ader says, Truly, let my soul live. And he said, Is he still alive? He is my brother. 33 And the men were watching for an omen, and they quickly seized the word from his mouth, and said, The son of Ader is thy brother. And he said, Go ye in and bring him, and the son of Ader came out to him, and they made him to go up to him into the chariot. 34 And he said to him, The cities which my father took from thy father I will restore to thee, and thou shall make streets for thyself in Damascus, as my father did in Samaria, and I will send thee off with a covenant. So he made a covenant with him, and sent him off. 35 And a certain man of the sons of the prophets said to his neighbor by the word of the Lord, Strike me, I pray! But the man refused to strike him. 36 And he said to him, Because thou have not hearkened to the voice of the Lord, therefore, behold, thou will depart from me, and a lion will strike thee down; and he departed from him, and a lion found him, and struck him down. 37 And he found another man, and said, Strike me, I pray! And the man struck him, and he struck and * wounded him. 38 And the prophet left and waited for the King of Israel by the road, and bound his eyes with a bandage. 39 And it came to pass, as the king was passing by, that he cried aloud to the king, and said, Thy servant went out to the army for the battle, and, behold, a man brought another man to me, and said to me, Guard this man, and if by escaping he escape, then thy life shall be for his life, or else thou shall pay a talent of silver. 40 And it came to pass, that thy servant looked around here and there, and the man was gone. And the King of Israel said to him, Behold, thou have destroyed the snares on my side. 41 And he hasted, and took away the bandage from his eyes, and the King of Israel recognized him, that he was one of the prophets. 42 And he said to him, Thus saith the Lord, Because thou have let go out of thine hand a man determined for destruction, therefore thy life shall also be for his life and thy people for his people. 43 And the King of Israel departed, troubled and faint, and came to Samaria.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “of the land”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “Achaab”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “sixty thousand”.

* Literally: “Crushed or Smashed”.

Comment

Chapter 22 is the last chapter in III Kingdoms. Hopefully I can knock that out tomorrow via fixing the translation, proof-reading and fixing the notes on variations. I have truly enjoyed translating II Kingdoms & III Kingdoms. Very challenging books from the Septuagint, especially among the various Septuagint codecs, but so very rewarding.

Once this is done I am going to send them to logos software and lulu for processing and the rest as they say is history. I hope you have enjoyed.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Peter A. Papoutsis

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 22

And he stayed three years, and there was no war between Syria and between Israel. 2 And it came to pass in the third year, that Josaphat the King of Judah went down to the King of Israel. 3 And the King of Israel said to his servants, Do ye know that Remmath Galaad is ours, and we are saying nothing to take her out of the hand of the King of Syria? 4 And the King of Israel said to Josaphat, Will thou go up with us to Remmath Galaad to battle? 5 And Josaphat said, As I am, so also art thou; as my people, are thy people; as my horses, are thy horses. And Josaphat the King of Judah said to the King of Israel, Enquire, I pray, of the Lord this day. 6 And the King of Israel gathered all the prophets together, about four hundred men, and the king said to them, Shall I go to Remmath Galaad to battle, or shall I refrain? And they said, Go up, and by giving the Lord will give it into the hands of the king. 7 And Josaphat said to the King of Israel, Is there not here a prophet of the Lord that we may enquire of the Lord through him? 8 And the King of Israel said to Josaphat, There is still one man through whom to enquire of the Lord, but I hate him, for he does not speak good of me, but only evil, Mihaeas the son of * Jemblaa. And Josaphat the King of Judah said, Let not the king say so. 9 And the King of Israel summoned a eunuch and said, Quickly bring Mihaeas the son of * Jemblaa. 10 And the King of Israel and Josaphat the king of Judah were sitting, each man on his throne, armed in the gates of Samaria, and all the prophets were prophesying before them. 11 And Sedekias the son of Chanaan made for himself iron horns, and said, Thus saith the Lord, With these thou shall gore Syria until it is destroyed. 12 And all the prophets prophesied in like manner, saying, Go up to Remmath Galaad, and ye shall succeed, and the Lord shall give ye into thine hands even the King of Syria. 13 And the messenger who went to summon Mihaeas spoke to him, saying, Behold now, all the prophets are speaking with one mouth good things concerning the king; now ye also, let thy words be like the words of one of them, and speak good things. 14 And Mihaeas said, As the Lord lives, whatever the Lord shall say to me, that I will speak. 15 And he came to the king, and the king said to him, Mihaeas, shall I go up to Remmath Galaad to battle, or shall I Refrain? And he said, Go up, and the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king. 16 And the king said to him, How often shall I make thee swear to me that thou tell me the truth in the name of the Lord? 17 And * Mihaeas said, Not so. I have seen all Israel scattered on the mountains, like a flock without a shepherd, and the Lord said, * Is God not their master? Let each one go home in peace. 18 And the King of Israel said to Josaphat the King of Judah, Did I not say to thee that this man does not prophesy anything good to me, but on the contrary only evil? 19 And Mihaeas said, Not so, it is not I, hear the word of the Lord, it is not so. I saw * the God of Israel, sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven stood near Him on His right hand and on His left. 20 And the Lord said, Who will entice Achaab the King of Israel so that he will go up and fall in Remmath Galaad? And one spoke one way, and another a different way. 21 And there came forth a spirit and stood before the Lord, and said, I will entice him. 22 And the Lord said to him, In what way? And he said, I will go forth, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And He said, Thou shall entice him, and truly ye shall prevail; go forth, and do so. 23 And now, behold, the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord has spoken evil against thee.
                        24 And Sedekias the son of Chanaan came near and struck Mihaeas on the cheek, and said, What sort of a spirit of the Lord has spoken in thee? 25 And Mihaeas said, Behold, thou shall see in that day, when thou shall go into a chamber of the chamber to hide thyself. 26 And the King of Israel said, Take Mihaeas, and return him to * Semer the * governor of the city, and tell Joas the son of the king 27 to put this person in prison, and to feed him the bread of affliction and the water of affliction until I return in peace. 28 And Mihaeas said, If thou truly return in peace, the Lord has not spoken this by me. 29 So the King of Israel went up, and Josaphat the King of Judah with him to Remmath Galaad. 30 And the King of Israel said to Josaphat the King of Judah, I will disguise myself, and enter into the battle, and do thou put on my clothing. So the King of Israel disguised himself, and entered into the battle. 31 And the King of Syria had charged the thirty-two commanders of his chariots, saying, Fight not small or great, but against the King of Israel only. 32 And it came to pass, when the commanders of the chariots saw Josaphat the King of Judah, that they said, this appears to be the King of Israel. And they encompassed him to fight against him, and Josaphat cried out. 33 And it came to pass, when the commanders of the chariots saw that he was not the King of Israel that they turned back from him. 34 And one drew his bow with a good aim, and struck the King of Israel between the lungs and between the breastplate. And he said to the driver of his chariot, Turn thine hands, and carry me away out of the battle, for I am wounded. 35 And the battle turned in that day, and the king stood on his chariot facing Syria from morning until evening, and he shed blood from out of his wound, into the hollow of his chariot, and he died in the evening, and his blood ran out to the hollow of his chariot. 36 And the herald of the army stood at sunset, saying, Let every man go to his own city and his own country, 37 for the king is dead! And they came to Samaria, and buried the king in Samaria. 38 And they washed off the chariot at the spring of Samaria, and the swine and the dogs licked up the blood, and the prostitutes washed themselves in the blood, according to the word of the Lord which He had spoken. 39 And the rest of the history of Achaab, and all that he did, and the ivory house which he built, and all the cities which he built, behold, are not these things written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel? 40 And Achaab slept with his fathers, and Ochozias his son reigned in his stead. 41 And Josaphat the son of Asa reigned over Judah. In the fourth year of Achaab the King of Israel Josaphat began to reign. 42 * He was a son of thirty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-five years in Jerusalem, and his mother’s name was * Azouba the daughter of Salai. 43 And he walked in all the way of Asa his father; he did not turn aside from it, even from doing that which was right in the sight of the Lord. 44 Yet he did not take away any of the high places; the people still sacrificed and offered incense on the high places. 45 And Josaphat made peace with the King of Israel. 46 And the rest of the history of Josaphat, and his mighty deeds that he did, behold, are not these things written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Judah? * 51 And Josaphat slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David his father and Joram his son reigned in his stead. 52 And Ochozias the son of Achaab reigned over Israel in Samaria, in the seventeenth year of Josaphat the King of Judah, and he reigned over Israel in Samaria for two years. 53 And he did that which was evil before the Lord, and walked in the way of Achaab his father, and in the way of Jezebel his mother, and in the sins of the house of Jeroboam the son of Nabat, who made Israel to sin. 54 And he served the Baalim, and did obeisance to them, and he provoked the Lord God of Israel, to anger, according to all that had been done before him.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Jemias”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Jemaa”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Jemias”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Jemaa”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “Mihaeas” and reads “And he said”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “These have no master…”

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “the Lord God of Israel…”

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Ammon”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Ruler” or “Leader”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “josaphat”, Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Josaph”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Azaeba”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds the following verses: 47 And the remnant of the male cult prostitutes who remained in the days of his father Asa, he exterminated from the land. 48 And there was not a king enthroned in Edom. And King 49 Josaphat prepared ships of Tarshish to go to Ophir for gold; but they did not go, for the ships were wrecked at Aseon Gaber. 50 Then Ochozias the son of Achaab said to Josaphat, Let my servants go with your servants in the ships, but Josaphat was not willing.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X