Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Holy Orthodox Bible - 3rd Kingdoms - Septuagint (LXX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Orthodox Bible - 3rd Kingdoms - Septuagint (LXX)

Hi all:

For those that remember from the old site I was posting my English translation of the Septuagint on TWeb with the moderators kind permission. If you like what you see I'll keep going. If you do NOT like what you see I'll keep going and you can go to another catagory.

I hope that TWeb still has my old posts of my translation of the Septuagint. If not I'll back track and post my older translations of the Septuagint from my English translation of the LXX called The Holy Orthodox Bible. Enjoy.
    _______
    The Book of III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 1

And King David was old and advanced in days, and they covered him with clothes, and he was not warmed. 2 And his servants said, Let them search for our lord the king a young virgin, and she shall wait on the king, and keep him warm, and lay with him, and our lord the king shall be warmed. 3 And they sought for a beautiful girl from every border of Israel and they found Abisak the Somanite, and they brought her to the king. 4 And the girl was extremely beautiful, and she kept the king warm, and ministered to him, but the king did not know her. 5 And Adonias the son of Aggith exalted himself, saying, I will be king, and he prepared for himself chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run along before him. 6 And his father never at any time hindered him, saying, Why have thou done thus? And he was also very youthful in appearance, and she bore him after Abessalom. 7 And he conferred with Joab the son of Sarouia, and with Abiathar the priest and they supported Adonias. 8 But Sadok the priest and Banaias the son of * Jodae and Nathan the prophet and Semei, and Resi, and the powerful men of David, were not * behind Adonias. 9 And Adonias sacrificed sheep and calves and lambs by the stone of Zoeleth, which was near Rogel, and he invited all his brothers, and all the prominent men of Judah, servants of the king. 10 But Nathan the prophet, and Banaias, and the king’s bodyguards, and Solomon his brother, he did not invite. 11 And Nathan spoke to Beersheba the mother of Solomon, saying, Have you not heard that Adonias the son of Aggith reigns, and our lord David does not know it? 12 And now come, let me I truly give thee counsel, and thou shall rescue thy life, and the life of thy son Solomon. 13 Come, and go in to King David, and thou shall speak to him, saying, Did not thou, my lord, O king, swear to thine handmaid, saying, Thy son Solomon shall be king after me, and he shall sit upon my throne? Why then does Adonias reign? 14 And behold, while thou art still speaking there with the king, I also will come in after thee, and will confirm thy words. 15 So Beersheba went in to the king into the chamber. And the king was very old, and Abisak the Somanite was ministering to the king. 16 And Beersheba bowed, and did obeisance to the king, and the king said, What is thy request? 17 And she said, My lord O king, thou swore by the Lord thy God to thine handmaid, saying, Thy son Solomon shall be king after me, and shall sit upon my throne. 18 And now, behold, Adonias reigns, and thou, my lord, O king, do not know this. 19 And he has sacrificed calves and lambs and sheep in abundance, and has called all the king’s sons, and Abiathar the priest and Joab the commander-in-chief of the army, but Solomon thy servant he has not called. 20 And thou, my lord, O king, —the eyes of all Israel are towards thee, to tell them who shall sit upon the throne of my lord the king after him. 21 And it shall come to pass, when my lord the king shall sleep with his fathers, that I and Solomon my son shall be * considered offenders. 22 And behold, while she was still speaking with the king, Nathan the prophet entered. 23 And it was announced to the king, Behold, Nathan the prophet is here. And he came in to the king’s presence, and did obeisance to the king with his face to the ground. 24 And Nathan said, My lord, O king, did thou say, Adonias shall reign after me, and he shall sit upon my throne? 25 For he has gone down this day, and has sacrificed calves and lambs and sheep in abundance, and has called all the king’s sons, and the commanders of the army, and Abiathar the priest; and, behold, they are eating and drinking before him, and they said, Long live King Adonias. 26 But he did not invite me thy servant, and Sadok the priest, and Banaias the son of Jodae, and Solomon thy servant. 27 Has this matter happened by the authority of my lord the king, and have thou not made known to thy servant who shall sit upon the throne of my lord the king after him? 28 And King David answered and said, Summon to me Beersheba. And she came in before the king, and stood before him. 29 And the king swore, and said, As the Lord lives, Who redeemed my soul out of all affliction, 30 as I swore to thee by the Lord God of Israel, saying, Solomon thy son shall be king after me, and he shall sit upon my throne in my stead, so will I do this day. 31 And Beersheba bowed with her face to the ground, and did obeisance to the king, and said, Let my lord King David live forever. 32 And King David said, Summon to me Sadok the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and Banaias the son of Jodae. And they came in before the king. 33 And the king said to them, Take the servants of your lord with you, and mount my son Solomon upon my own mule, and bring him down to Gion. 34 And there let Sadok the priest and Nathan the prophet anoint him to be king over Israel, and do ye sound the trumpet, and ye shall say, Long live King Solomon! 35 And he shall sit upon my throne, and be king in my stead, and that I command that he be ruler over Israel and Judah. 36 And Banaias the son of Jodae answered the king and said, So be it! May the Lord God of my lord the king confirm it. 37 As the Lord was with my lord the king, so let Him be with Solomon, and May He make his throne greater than the throne of my lord King David. 38 And Sadok the priest went down, and Nathan the prophet, and Banaias the son of Jodae, and the Cherethite, and the Phelethite, and they mounted Solomon upon the mule of King David, and led him away to Gion. 39 And Sadok the priest took the horn of oil from out of the tabernacle, and anointed Solomon, and blew the trumpet; and all the people said, Let King Solomon live. 40 And all the people went up after him, and they danced in choirs, and rejoiced with great joy, and the earth quaked with their voice. 41 And Adonias and all his guests heard, and they had just finished eating. And Joab heard the sound of the horn, and said, Why is the sound of the city resounding? 42 While he was yet speaking, behold, Jonathan the son of Abiathar the priest came in. And Adonias said, Come in, for thou art a mighty man, and thou bring good news. 43 And Jonathan answered and said, Truly our lord King David has made Solomon king, 44 and the king has sent with him Sadok the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and Banaias the son of Jodae, and the Cherethite, and the Phelethite, and they have mounted him on the king’s mule; 45 and Sadok the priest and Nathan the prophet have anointed him in Gion, and have gone up from there rejoicing, and the city resounded. This is the sound which ye have heard. 46 And Solomon is seated upon the throne of the kingdom. 47 And the servants of the king have gone in to bless our lord King David, saying, God make the name of Solomon better than thy name, and make his throne greater than thy throne; and the king did obeisance on his bed. 48 Moreover thus said the king, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, who has given this day one of my seed to sit now on my throne, and my eyes to see it. 49 And all the guests of Adonias were dismayed and rose up, and every man went his way. 50 And Adonias was afraid before the face of Solomon, and arose, and departed, and laid hold of the horns of the altar. 51 And it was reported to Solomon, saying, Behold, Adonias fears King Solomon, and holds the horns of the altar, saying, Let * Solomon swear to me this day, that he will not kill his servant with the broadsword. 52 And Solomon said, If he should be a * loyal subject, there shall not a hair of his fall to the ground; but if evil be found in him, he shall die. 53 And King Solomon sent, and they brought him down from the altar; and he went in and did obeisance to King Solomon, and Solomon said to him, Go to thy house.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Joiadae”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “with”.

* Meaning: “treated as traitors,” or “considered as enemies of the state.” Literally: “sinners”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “King”.

* Literally: “son of power”.
    Last edited by Panayioti; 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM.

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 2

And the days of David drew near that he should die, and he commanded his son Solomon, saying, 2 I am going by way of all the earth. But thou shall be strong, and thou shall become a man, 3 and you shall keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in His ways, to keep His commandments and the ordinances and the judgments * which are written in the Law of Moses so that thou may understand what thou shall do in all things that I command thee; 4 so that the Lord may establish His word which He spoke, saying, If thy sons shall take heed to their way to walk before Me in truth with their whole heart, * I promise thee, saying, there shall not be utterly destroyed for thee a man from upon the throne of Israel. 5 Moreover thou know all that Joab the son of Sarouia did to me, what he did to the two captains of the forces of Israel, to Abenner the son of Ner, and to * Amessai the son of Jether, that he killed them, and * shed the blood of war in peace, and put innocent blood on his girdle that was about his waist, and on his sandal that was on his foot. 6 Therefore thou shall deal with him according to thy wisdom, and thou shall not bring down his grey hair in peace to Hades. 7 But thou shall deal mercifully with the sons of Berzelli the Galaadite, and they shall be among those that eat at thy table, for thus they drew near to me when I fled from the face of thy brother Abessalom. 8 And, behold, there is with thee Semei the son of Gera, the son of a Benjamite from Baourim, and he cursed me with a grievous curse in the day when I went into the Camps, and he came down to the Jordan to meet me, and I swore to him by the Lord, saying, I will not put thee to death with the broadsword. 9 But thou shall by no means hold him guiltless, for thou art a wise man, and will know what thou shall do to him, and shall bring down his grey hair with blood to Hades. 10 And David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David. 11 And the days that David reigned over Israel were forty years; he reigned seven years in Hebron, and thirty-three years in Jerusalem. 12 And Solomon sat on the throne of his father David, and his kingdom was established greatly. 13 And Adonias the son of Aggith came in to Beersheba the mother of Solomon, and did obeisance to her. And she said, Does thou enter in peace? And he said, Peace. 14 And he said, May I have a word with thee. And she said to him, Speak. 15 And he said to her, Thou know that the kingdom was mine, and all Israel set their face toward me for a king; but the kingdom was turned from me and became my brother’s, for it was appointed to him from the Lord. 16 And now I make one request of thee, do not turn away thy face. And Beersheba said to him, Speak on. 17 And he said to her, Speak now to King Solomon, for he will not turn away his face from thee, and let him give me Abisak the Somanite for a wife. 18 And Beersheba said, Well, I will speak for thee to the king. 19 And Beersheba went in to King Solomon to speak to him concerning Adonias. And the king rose up to meet her, and kissed her, and sat on the throne, and a throne was set for the mother of the king, and she sat on his right. 20 And she said to him, I ask of thee one little request; turn not away thy face. And the king said to her, Ask, my mother, and I will not refuse thee. 21 And she said, Let now Abisak the Somanite be given to Adonias thy brother as a wife. 22 And King Solomon answered and said to his mother, And why have thou asked Abisak for Adonias? Ask for him the kingdom also! For he is my elder brother, and he has for his companion Abiathar the priest, and Joab the son of Sarouia the commander-in-chief. 23 And King Solomon swore by the Lord, saying, God do so to me, and more also, if it be not that Adonias has spoken this word against his own life. 24 And now as the Lord lives who has established me, and set me on the throne of my father David, and he has made me a house, as the Lord spoke, this day shall Adonias be put to death. 25 So King Solomon sent by the hand of Banaias the son of Jodae, and he killed him, and Adonias died on that day. 26 And the king said to Abiathar the priest, Depart thou quickly to Anathoth to thy farm, for thou art worthy of death this day; but I will not kill thee, because thou have carried the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord before my father, and because thou were afflicted with all the hardships with which my father was afflicted. 27 And Solomon banished Abiathar from being a priest of the Lord, so that the word of the Lord may be fulfilled, which He spoke concerning the house of Eli in Selom. 28 And the report came to Joab the son of Sarouia; for Joab had * supported Adonias, and did not * support Solomon. And Joab fled to the tabernacle of the Lord, and grabbed hold of the horns of the altar. 29 And it was related to Solomon, saying, Joab has fled to the tabernacle of the Lord, and behold, he has taken hold of the horns of the altar. * And King Solomon sent to Joab, saying, What happened to thee, that thou have fled to the altar? And Joab said, Because I was afraid from before they face, and fled for refuge to the Lord. And Solomon sent Banaias the son of Jodae, saying, Go and kill him, * and bury him. 30 And Banaias the son of Jodae came to Joab to the tabernacle of the Lord, and said to him, Thus says the king, Come forth. And Joab said, I will not come forth, for I will die here. And Banaias the son of Jodae returned and spoke to the king, saying, Thus has Joab spoken, and thus has he answered me. 31 And the king said to him, Go, and do to him as he has spoken, and kill him, and thou shall bury him, and thou shall remove this day the blood which he shed without cause, from me and from the house of my father. 32 And the Lord has returned upon his own head the blood of his unrighteousness, inasmuch as he fell upon the two men who were more righteous and better than himself, and killed them with the broadsword, and my father David knew not of their blood, even Abenner the son of Ner, the commander-in-chief * of Israel, and * Amessa the son of Jether, the commander-in-chief of Judah. 33 And their blood is returned upon his head and upon the head of his seed forever. And to David, and his seed, and his house, and his throne, may there be peace forever from the Lord. 34 So Banaias the son of Jodae went up, and attacked him, and killed him, and buried him at his house in the wilderness. 35 And the king appointed Banaias the son of Jodae to take his place over the army, and the kingdom was being established in Jerusalem, and the king appointed the priest Sadok as the foremost priest in the place of Abiathar. * 35a And the Lord gave understanding to Solomon, and very much wisdom, and breadth of mind, like the sand which is by the sea. 35b And the wisdom of Solomon abounded exceedingly beyond the wisdom of all the sons of old, and beyond all the wise ones of Egypt. 35c And he took the daughter of Pharaoh, and brought her into the city of David, until he had finished building his own house, and the house of the Lord first, and the wall of Jerusalem all around; in seven years he made and finished them. 35d And Solomon had seventy thousand common laborers and eight thousand stonecutters in the hill country. 35e And Solomon made the sea, and the bases, and the great washbasins, and the pillars, and the fountain of the court, and the bronze sea. 35f And he built the citadel as its defenses, he cut through the city of David; thus the daughter of Pharaoh used to go up from the city of David to her house which he built for her. Then he built the citadel. 35g And Solomon would offer up three whole burnt offerings in the year, and peace offerings on the altar which he built to the Lord, and he would burn incense before the Lord. And finished the house. 35h And these are the chief officers who were appointed over the works of Solomon: three thousand and six hundred overseers of the people that did the works. 35i And he built Assour, and Magdo, and Gazer, and upper Baithoron, and Baalath; 35k only after he had built the house of the Lord, and the wall of Jerusalem all around, afterwards he built these cities. 35l And while David was still alive, he charged Solomon, saying, Behold, there is with thee Semei the son of Gera, a son of the seed of Benjamin out of Hebron; 35m he cursed me with a grievous curse on the day when I went into the Camps, 35n and he would come down to meet me at the Jordan, and I swore to him by the Lord, saying, I will not kill thee with the broadsword. 35o But now do not hold him guiltless, for thou art a prudent man, and thou will know what thou shall do to him, and thou shall bring his grey head down with blood to Hades. 36 And the king summoned Semei, and said to him, Build thee a house in Jerusalem, and stay there, and thou shall not go out from there to any place whatever. 37 And it shall come to pass on the day that thou shall go forth and cross over the torrent stream of Kedron, know by understanding that thou shall die by death; thy blood shall be upon thine head. And the king caused him to swear on that day. 38 And Semei said to the king, Good is the word that thou have spoken, my lord O king; thus will thy servant do. And Semei stayed in Jerusalem three years. 39 And it came to pass after the three years, that two servants of Semei ran away to Anchous the son of Maacha the King of Geth, and it was told to Semei, saying, Behold, thy servants are in Geth. 40 And Semei rose up, and saddled his donkey, and went to Geth to Anchous to seek out his servants, and Semei went, and brought his servants out of Geth. 41 And it was reported to Solomon, saying, Semei went from Jerusalem to Geth and brought back his servants. 42 And the king sent and summoned Semei, and said to him, Did I not make thee swear by the Lord, and testify to thee, saying, In whatever day thou shall go out of Jerusalem, and go to the right or left, understand by knowing that thou shall die by death? * 43 And why have thou not kept the oath of the Lord, and the commandment which I commanded thee? 44 And the king said to Semei, Thou know all thy evil which thy heart knew, which thou did to David my father, and the Lord has repaid thy evil on thine own head. 45 And King Solomon is blessed, and the throne of David shall be established before the Lord forever. 46 And King Solomon commanded Banaias the son of Jodae, and he went forth and did away with him, and he died. 46a And King Solomon was very prudent and wise, and Judah and Israel were very many, like the sand which is by the sea for multitude, eating, and drinking, and rejoicing, 46b and Solomon was ruler in all the kingdoms, and they brought gifts, and served Solomon all the days of his life. 46c And Solomon began to open the resources of Lebanon, 46d and he built Thermai in the wilderness. 46e And this was the midday meal of Solomon, thirty measures of fine flour, and sixty measures of ground meal, ten choice calves, and twenty oxen from the pastures, and one hundred sheep, besides deer and gazelles, and choice fatted birds. 46f For he was ruler everywhere across the river from Raphi unto Gaza, among all the kings across the river, 46g and he had peace on all sides all around, and Judah and Israel dwelt safely, each under his vine and under his fig tree, eating and drinking, from Dan even to Beersheba, all the days of Solomon. 46h And these were the officials of Solomon: Azariou the son of Sadok the priest, and Orniou the son of Nathan chief of the officers, and Edram who is over his house, and Souba, the scribe, and Basa the son of Achithalam, the recorder, and Abi the son of Joab, the commander-in-chief, and Achire the son of Edrai who is over the levies, and Banaias the son of Jodae who is over the main court and over the brickworks and Zachour the son of Nathan, the counselor. 46i And Solomon had forty thousand brood mares for his chariots, and twelve thousand * horses. 46k And he reigned over all the kings from the river and to the land of the * Philistines, and to the borders of Egypt. 46l Solomon the son of David reigned over Israel and Judah in Jerusalem.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text add: “and His testimonies”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text add: “and their whole soul”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Ammesa”, Codex Vaticanus reads: “Amessaia”, and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amessa”.

* Literally: “called forth” or “ordered up”.

*Literally: “leaned after” or “inclined after”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “And King Solomon sent to Joab, saying, What happened to thee, that thou have fled to the altar? And Joab said, Because I was afraid from before thy face, and fled for refuge to the Lord”.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text omits: “and bury him”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits: “of Israel, and Amessa the son of Jether, the commander-in-chief…”

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Amasa”.

* Codex Vaticanus adds: “And Solomon son of David reigned over Israel and Judah in Jerusalem. And the Lord gave understanding to Solomon, and very much wisdom, and largeness of heart, like the sand by the sea shore”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text add: “And ye said to me, Good is the word, which I have heard”.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “horsemen”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 3

Now the people burnt incense at the high places, because a house had not yet been built * to the Lord. 3 And Solomon loved the Lord, to walk in the ordinances of David his father; only he sacrificed and burnt incense on the high places. 4 And he arose and went to Gabaon to sacrifice there, for this was the highest place, and great; Solomon offered a thousand whole burnt offerings on the altar in Gabaon. 5 And the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream at night, and the Lord said to Solomon, Ask some request for yourself. 6 And Solomon said, Thou have dealt very mercifully with thy servant David my father, according as he walked before Thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with Thee, and Thou have kept for him this great mercy, to set his son upon his throne, as it is this day. 7 And now, O Lord my God, Thou has appointed thy servant in place of David my father; and I am but a little child, and do not know my going out and my coming in. 8 But Thy servant is in the midst of Thy people, whom Thou have chosen, a populous people, which cannot be numbered. 9 Thou shall give therefore to Thy servant a heart to hear and to judge Thy people in righteousness, and to discern between good and evil; for who will be able to judge this Thy great people? 10 And it was pleasing before the Lord, that Solomon asked this thing. 11 And the Lord said to him, Because thou have asked this thing of Me, and have not asked for thyself long life, and have not asked for wealth, nor have asked for the lives of thine enemies, but have asked for thyself understanding to hear judgment; 12 behold, I have done according to thy word; behold, I have given thee a prudent and wise heart; there has not been any one like thee before thee, and after thee there shall not arise one like thee. 13 And I have given thee what thou have not asked, wealth and glory, so that there has not been any one like thee among kings. 14 And if thou will walk in My way, to keep My commandments and My ordinances, as David thy father walked, then will I multiply thy days. 15 And Solomon awoke, and, behold, it was a dream, and he arose and came to Jerusalem, and stood before the altar that was in front of the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord in Zion, and he offered whole burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings, and made a great banquet for himself and all his servants.
      16 Then there appeared two harlots before the king, and they stood before him. 17 And the one woman said, Hear me, my lord; I and this woman live in one house, and we gave birth in the house. 18 And it came to pass on the third day after I gave birth, that this woman also gave birth; and we were together; and there was no one with us besides both of us in the house. 19 And this woman’s son died in the night because she laid on him. 20 and she arose in the middle of the night, and took my son from my arms, and laid him in her bosom, and laid her dead son in my bosom. 21 and I arose in the morning to nurse my son, and he was dead, and, behold, I looked at him closely in the morning, and, behold, it was not my son whom I bore. 22 And the other woman said, No, but the living one is my son and the dead one is thy son *. So they spoke before the king. 23 And the king said to them, Thou say, This is my son that is alive, and this woman’s son is the dead one, and thou says, No so! The living one is my son, and the dead one is thy son. 24 And the king said, Bring me a dagger. And they brought a dagger before the king. 25 And the king said, Divide the live boy, the suckling, in two, and give half of it to this woman, and the other half of it to this woman. 26 And the woman whose was the living son answered and said to the king, for her womb was troubled over her son, and she said, Hear me, my lord, give her the boy, and by death do not put him to death. But she the other said, Let it be neither mine nor hers; divide it! 27 Then the king answered and said, Give the boy to her that said, ‘Give it to her, and by death do not put him to death. She is his mother. 28 And all Israel heard this judgment that the king judged, and they stood in awe from before the king, because they saw that the discernment of God was in him to execute judgment.

* Alfred Rahlfs’ Septuaginta, Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text read: “to the name of the Lord”.

* Codex Alexandrinus and the Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text add: “And she said, No, the dead one is thy son, and the living one is my son”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 4

And King Solomon reigned over Israel. 2 And these were the rulers who were his: Azarias the son of Sadok. 3 Eliareph, and Achia the son of Seba, scribes, and Josaphat the son of Achilid, recorder. 4 * And Banaias the son of Jodae was * commander of the army, and Sadok and Abiathar were priests. 5 And * Ornia the son of Nathan was over the district governors, and * Zabouth the son of Nathan * was the king’s close associate. 6 And * Achiel was steward, * and Eliab the son of * Saph was * the caretaker of the family, and * Adoniram the son of * Ephra was over the levy. 7 And Solomon had twelve district governors over all Israel, to provide for the king and his household; each one would provide for one month in the year. 8 And these were their names: Benor in the hill country of Ephraim, one; 9 the son of Dakar, in Machemas, and in Salabin, and Baithsamus, and Ailon as far as Bethanan, one; * 10 the son of Esdi in Araboth, his was Soho, and all the land of Opher; * 11 Chanadab and Anaphathi, a man of Tableth, a daughter of Solomon was his wife, one; * 12 Baana the son of Achilith who had Thaanach, and Mageddo, and the whole house of San, which is by Sesathan below Esrae, and from Bethsan as far as Sabelmaoula, as far as Maeber Loukam, one; 13 The son of Gaber in * Remath Galaad, to him went the allotment of Eregaba, which is in Basan, sixty great cities with walls, and bronze bars, one; 14 Achinadab the son of Saddo, had Maanaim. 15 Achimaas was in Nephthalim, and he took Basemmath the daughter of Solomon as a wife, one. 16 Baana the son of Chousi, in Maaloth, one; 17 Semei the son of Ela, in Benjamin; 18 Gaber the son of Adai, in the land of Gad, the land of Seon the King of Esebon, and of Og the King of Basan, and one officer in the land of Judah. 19 Josaphat the son of Phouasoud in Issachar.*

* Codex Vaticanus omits the phrase: “And Banaias the son of Jodae was commander of the army”.

* Literally: “over the forces”; Codex Alexandrinus literally reads: “over the army”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Azarias”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Zabbouth”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “the priest”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Achel”; Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Achisar”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Saphat”.

* Codex Vaticanus adds: “and Eliak was chamberlain”.

* Literally: “over the family”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Adoneiram”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Abaou”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads verse 9 as follows: “the son of Rechab in Mackemas and Bethalamin and Baithsamus and Elom as far as Bethlaman, one”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads verse 10 as follows: “the son of Esoth, Bernemalousamincha and Respharachein”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads verse 11 as follows: “and all Nephaddor and Taphata”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads verse 12 as follows: “Bakcha the son of Acheimach had Polamach and Mekedo, and the whole house of Dan, which is by Sesathan below Esrae, and from Baisaphout Ebelmaola, as far as Maeber Loukam, one. Codex Alexandrinus reads verse 12 as follows: “Baana the son of Eloud of Thaanach, and Memagedo, and the whole house of San, which is by Eslianthan below Iesrae, and from Beosan as far as Abelmaoula, as far as Mebradei…”

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Ramoth Galaad”.

* Codex Alexandrinus has verse 20 that reads: “And the people of Judah and Israel were as innumerable as the sand on the seashore, and they had plenty to eat and drink and were happy”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 5

* And thus the district governors would supply provisions for King Solomon and they execute every one in his month all the orders for the table of the king, they omit nothing. 2 And they also used to bring the barley and the straw for the horses and the chariots to the place where the king might be, each according to his charge. And these were Solomon’s provisions for one day: thirty * kors of finely milled flour and sixty * kors of ground meal. 3 And ten choice calves and twenty calves from the pasture, and one hundred sheep, besides deers and gazelles and well-fed birds. 4 For he was ruler across the river, and he was at peace on every side all around. 5 And the Lord gave understanding to Solomon, and very great wisdom, and enlargement of heart, like the sand that is by the sea. 10 And Solomon abounded greatly beyond the wisdom of all the ancients, and beyond all the wise men of Egypt. 11 And he was wise beyond all men; and he was wise beyond Gaithan the Zarite, and Ainan, and Halkal and Darda, the sons of Mal. 12 And Solomon spoke three thousand proverbs, and his songs were five thousand. 13 And he spoke of trees, from the cedar in Lebanon and as far as the hyssop which comes out through the wall, and he spoke also of cattle, and of birds, and of reptiles, and of fish. 14 And all the people used to come to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and he would receive gifts from all the kings of the earth who would hear of his wisdom. 14a And Solomon took to himself the daughter of Pharaoh for a wife, and brought her into the city of David until he had finished the house of the Lord, and his own house, and the wall of Jerusalem. 14b Then Pharaoh, the King of Egypt, went up and took Gazer, and burned it and the Canaanite who lived in Mergab, and Pharaoh gave them as a dowry to his daughter, the wife of Solomon, and Solomon rebuilt Gazer. 15 And Hiram the King of Tyre sent his servants to anoint Solomon in place of David his father, because Hiram always loved David. 16 And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying, 17 Thou knew my father David, that he could not build a house to the name of the Lord, my God; from the presence of the wars that encompassed him until the Lord put them under the soles of His feet. 18 And now the Lord my God has given me rest all around; there is no one plotting against me, and there is no evil trespass against me. 19 And, behold, I intend to build a house to the name of the Lord my God, as the Lord God spoke to my father David, saying, Thy son whom I will set on thy throne in thy place, he shall build a house to My name. 20 And now command, and let them cut wood for Me out of Lebanon and, behold, My servants shall be with thy servants, and I will give thee the wages of thy service, according to all that thou shall say, because thou knows that we have no one skilled in cutting timber like the Sidonians. 21 And it came to pass, when Hiram heard the words of Solomon, that he rejoiced greatly, and said, Blessed be God today, who has given to David a wise son over this numerous people. 22 And He sent to Solomon, saying, I have listened concerning all that thou have sent to me; I will do all thy will; as for cedar, timber and pine, 23 my servants shall bring them down from Lebanon to the sea, and I will make them into rafts, and bring them to the place which thou shall show to me, and I will have them broken up there, and thou shall take them away, and thou shall do my wish by providing food for my household. 24 So Hiram gave to Solomon cedars, * and fir trees, and all his desire. 25 And Solomon gave to Hiram twenty thousand * kors of wheat as food for his house, and twenty thousand * baths of beaten oil; thus Solomon gave to Hiram yearly. 26 And the Lord gave wisdom to Solomon, as He said to him He would, and there was peace between Hiram and between Solomon, and they made a covenant between themselves. 27 And the king raised a levy out of all Israel, and the levy was thirty thousand men. 28 And he sent them to Lebanon, ten thousand alternating every month; they were a month in Lebanon and two months in their home, and Adoniram was in charge of the levy. 29 And Solomon had seventy thousand bearers of burdens and eighty thousand stone cutters in the mountain, 30 besides the rulers that were appointed over the works of Solomon, there were three thousand six hundred masters who managed the works. 31 And for three years they prepared the stones and the timber.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “And Solomon ruled all the kingdoms from the river (i.e. Euphrates) to the land of the * Philistines, as far as the border of Egypt. They brought tribute and served Solomon all the days of his life”.

* This word is used in the Septuagint as a distinct reference to “Philistines”, but is literally translated as “foreigners”, or “those of another people or tribe”.

* As a unit of measure a kor was approximately equivalent to six bushels or 220 liters.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “and fir trees”.

* As a unit of measure a kor was approximately equivalent to six bushels or 220 liters.

* As a unit of measure 1 bath equals 22 liters.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 6

And it came to pass in the four hundred and fortieth year after the departure of the sons of Israel out of Egypt, in the fourth year and second month of the reign of King Solomon over Israel, 1a that the king commanded that they should take great and costly stones for the foundation of the house, and hewn stones. 1b And the men of Solomon and the men of Hiram hewed the stones, and laid them for a foundation. 1c In the fourth year he laid the foundation of the house of the Lord, in the month of Niso, even in the second month. 1d In the eleventh year, in the month Baal (this is the eighth month) the house was completed according to its entire plan, and according to all its arrangement. 2 And the house that the king built to the Lord was forty cubits in length, and twenty cubits in width, and twenty-five cubits in height. 3 And the porch in front of the temple, twenty cubits was its length according to the width of the house and ten cubits in its depth in front of the house. And he built the house, and finished it. 4 And he made to the house secret, prying windows. 5 And against the wall of the house he set beams all around the temple and the inner chamber, and he made side rooms all around. 6 The under side was five cubits broad, and the middle part six, and the third was seven cubits broad; for he gave the house a space all around, outside the house, so that they should not lay hold of the walls of the house. 7 And the house was built in the construction of it with rough, unworked stones, and there was not heard in the house in the building of it hammer or axe, or any iron tool. 8 And the gateway of the under side was below the right angle of the house, and there was a winding ascent into the middle, and from the middle to the third story. 9 So he built the house and finished it, and he made the ceiling of the house with cedars. 10 And he made the partitions through the entire house, each five cubits high, and enclosed each partition with cedar boards. * 15 And he built the walls of the house inside with cedar boards, from the floor of the house and on to the inner walls and to the beams; he lined the parts enclosed with boards within, and covered the inward parts of the house with planks of pines. 16 And he built the twenty cubits from the top of the house, the one side from the floor to the beams, and he made it from the inner chamber to the Holy of Holies. 17 And the shrine was forty cubits in front of, * 19 the inner chamber in the midst of the house within, in order to put there the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord. 20 The length was twenty cubits, and the width was twenty cubits, and the height of it was twenty cubits, and he covered it with overlaid gold, and he made an altar * 21 in front of the inner chamber, and covered it with gold. 22 And he covered the whole house with gold, till he had finished gilding the whole house. 23 And he made in the inner chamber two cherubim of ten cubits measured in size. 24 And the wing of one cherub was five cubits, and his second wing was five cubits, and ten cubits from the tip of one wing to the tip of the other wing. 25 Thus it was with the other cherubim, both were alike finished with one measure. 26 And the height of the one cherub was ten cubits, and so was it with the second cherub. 27 And both of the cherubim were in the midst of the innermost part of the house, and they spread out their wings, and one wing touched the wall, and the wing of the second * cherubim touched the other wall; and their wings in the midst of the house touched each other. 28 And he covered the cherubim with gold. 29 He graved all the walls of the house round about with the graving of cherubs, and he sculptured palm trees within and without the house. 30 And he covered the floor of the house within and without with gold. 31 And for the door-way of the oracle he made doors of juniper wood, there were porches in a four-fold way. 32 33 34 In both the doors were planks of fir; the one door had two leaves and their hinges, and the other door had two leaves and turned on hinges, 35 being carved with cherubs, and there were palm-trees and open flower-leaves, and it was overlaid with gold gilt upon the engraving. 36 And he built the inner court, three rows of hewn stones, and a row of wrought cedar round about, and he made the curtain of the court of the porch of the house that was in front of the temple.

* Codex Alexandrinus includes verses 11 thru 14, and reads as follows: “11 And the word of the Lord was manifested to Solomon, saying, 12 As for this house you are building, if you walk in My rules, and observe My regulations, and safeguard all My commandments by walking in them, I will establish My word, which I spoke to David your father. 13 And I will dwell among the sons of Israel, and will not forsake My people Israel. 14 So Solomon built the house and finished it.”

* Codex Alexandrinus includes the last part of verse 17 and all of verse 18, which read as follows: “…on the inside 18 and in cedar towards the house, inside, were prominences and flowers and ornate reliefs; all of cedar and no stone were seen.”

* Codex Alexandrinus includes the last part of verse 20 and all of verse 21, which read as follows: “…of cedar 19 and Solomon covered the inside of the house with plated gold and installed them with golden nails”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “cherubim”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 7

And King Solomon sent, and took Hiram out of Tyre, 2 the son of a widow woman, and he was of the tribe of Nephthalim, and his father was a man of Tyre, a worker of bronze, and accomplished in art and skill and knowledge to work every work in bronze; and he was brought in to King Solomon, and he made all the works. 3 And he cast the two pillars for the porch of the house: eighteen cubits was the height of a pillar, and a circumference of fourteen cubits encompassed it, and the thickness of the pillar was the hollow were four fingers, and thus the second pillar. 4 And he made two molten chapiters to put on the heads of the pillars, five cubits was the height of one chapiter, and five cubits was the height of the second chapiter. 5 And he made two lattice works to wrap around the chapiters of the pillars, and a lattice work for the one chapiter, and a lattice work for the second chapiter. 6 And a hanging work, two rows of bronze pomegranates formed in lattice work, a hanging work, row upon row, and thus he did with the second chapiter. 7 And he set up the pillars of the porch of the temple, and he set up the one pillar, and called its name * Jachoum, and he set up the second pillar, and called its name * Baaz. 8 And on the heads of the pillars he made lily-work against the porch, of four cubits, 9 and a beam on both the pillars, and on top of the sides the beam was as a cover in thickness. 10 And he made the sea, ten cubits from its rim to the other rim; the same was all around in a circle; its height was five cubits, and its circumference in total was thirty-three cubits. 11 And supports underneath its rim all around were encompassing it, ten cubits all around, 12 and its rim was like the work of the rim of a cup, like the bud of a lily flower, and the thickness of it was a handbreadth. 13 And there were twelve oxen under the sea, three facing to the north, and three facing to the sea, and three facing to the south, and three facing to the east, and all their hinder parts were towards the house, and the sea was upon them from above. 14 And he made ten bronze stands, five cubits was the length of one stand, and four cubits the width of it, and its height was six cubits. 15 And this work of the stands was formed with a border to them, and there was a border between the protrusions. 16 And on their borders between the protrusions were lions, and oxen, and cherubim, and on the protrusions, even so above, and also below were the places of lions and oxen, a hanging work. 17 And there were four bronze wheels to one stand, and there were bronze bases, and their four sides, angle pieces under the washbasins. 18 And there were axles in the wheels under the stands, and the height of one wheel was a cubit and a half. 19 And the work of the wheels was as the work of chariot wheels; their axles, and their rims, and the rest of their work, were all castings. 20 The four side pieces were at the four corners of each stand; its shoulders were from the stand. 21 And on the top of the stand, half a cubit was the size of it, there was a circle around on the top of the stand, and a start to its spokes and to its borders, and it was open at the start of its spokes. 22 And at its borders were cherubim, and lions, and palm trees, upright, each was joined on its front and inside and all around. 23 Like it he made all the ten stands, one order and one measure for all. 24 And he made ten bronze lavers, the one laver containing forty baths by measurement; each laver placed on several stands throughout the ten stands. 25 And he placed five stands on the right side of the house, and five on the left side of the house, and the sea was on the right side of the house, eastward, on the south slope. 26 And Hiram made the caldrons, and the tongs, and the saucers, and Hiram finished making all the works that he made for King Solomon in the house of the Lord, 27 two pillars and the wreathen works of the pillars on the tops of the two pillars, and the two lattice works to cover both the wreathed works of the carvings that were on the pillars. 28 The four hundred pomegranates for both the lattice works two rows of pomegranates for the one lattice work, to wrap all around both the wreathed works on both the pillars. 29 And the ten stands, and the ten lavers upon the stands. 30 And the one sea and the twelve oxen under the sea 31 and the caldrons, and tongs, and saucers, and all the instruments that Hiram made for King Solomon for the house of the Lord, and the forty-eight pillars of the house of the king and of the house of the Lord. All the works of the king which Hiram made were entirely of bronze. 32 There was no reckoning of the bronze of which he made all these works, from the very great abundance, there was no end of the weight of the bronze. 33 In the region of the Jordan did * he cast them, in the thickness of the ground between Sokchoth and between Sira. 34 And King Solomon * gave the instruments which Hiram made for the house * of the Lord, the golden altar, and the golden table upon which were the loaves of the offering. 35 And the five lamp-stands on the right, and five on the left in front of the inner chamber, covered in gold, and the torches, and the lamps, and the golden pouring vessels. 36 And there were made the porches, and the nails, and the saucers, and the bowls, and the golden censers, covered in gold, and the doorways of the innermost part of the house, the Holy of Holies, and the golden doors of the temple. 37 So all the work of the house of the Lord which Solomon did was completed, and Solomon brought in the holy things of David his father, and all the holy things of Solomon; he put the silver, and the gold, and the instruments, into the treasures of the house of the Lord. 38 And Solomon built a house for himself in thirteen years. 39 And he built the house with the wood of Lebanon, its length was one hundred cubits, and its width was fifty cubits, and its height was of thirty cubits, and it was made with three rows of cedar pillars, and the pillars had side pieces of cedar. 40 And he paneled the house with chambers above on the sides of the pillars, and the number of the pillars was forty-five and there was a course of fifteen, 41 and there were three beams, and space on space in three rows. 42 And all the doorways and the spaces connected by beams were square, and from the doorway on to the door three times. 43 And the porch of the pillars was fifty cubits long and * fifty cubits in length linked together. There was a porch in front of them, and pillars and the thick beam before it for the porches. 44 And the Porch of the Thrones where he would judge there, the Porch of Judgment. 45 And he had a house, there where he would dwell, one court constructed for those engaged in this work, and a house for the daughter of Pharaoh whom Solomon had taken, according to this porch. 46 All these were of costly stones, sculptured at intervals on the inside, even from the foundation to the top, and on the outside into the great court, 47 founded with large costly stones, stones of ten cubits and eight cubits in size. 48 And above with costly stones, according to the measure of unhewn stones, and with cedars. 49 There were three rows of unhewn stones all around the great courtyard, and a row of sculptured cedar. 50 And Solomon finished his entire house.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Jachoun”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Balaz”; Codex Alexandrinus reads: “Boos”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “the king”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “took”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “of the Lord”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “thirty cubits”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 8

And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished building the house of the Lord and his own house after twenty years, then King Solomon assembled all the elders of Israel in Zion, to bring up the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord out of the city of David (this is Zion) 2 in the month of Athanin. 3 And the priests carried the Ark, 4 and the tabernacle of testimony, and the holy items that were in the tabernacle of testimony. 5 And the king and all Israel were before the Ark, sacrificing sheep and oxen, without number. 6 And the priests brought the ark into its place, into the inner chamber of the house, even into the Holy of Holies, under the wings of the cherubim, 7 for the cherubim spread out their wings over the place of the Ark, and the cherubim covered the Ark and its holy things from above. 8 And the sacred poles projected, and the heads of the sacred poles were seen from the holy place in front of the inner chamber, but they could not be seen from outside. 9 There was nothing in the Ark except the two tables of stone, the tables of the covenant that Moses placed there in Horeb, which things the Lord determined with the sons of Israel in their going forth from the land of Egypt. 10 And it came to pass, when the priests came out of the holy place, that a cloud filled the house, 11 and the priests could not stand to minister from before the cloud, because the glory of the Lord filled the house.
                14 And the king turned his face away, and the king blessed all Israel, and the whole assembly of Israel stood. 15 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel this day, who spoke with His mouth concerning David my father, and has fulfilled it with His hands, saying, 16 From the day that I brought out My people Israel out of Egypt, I have not chosen a city in any one tribe of Israel to build a house, so that My name should be there, but I chose Jerusalem that My name should be there, and I chose David to be over My people Israel. 17 And it was in the heart of my father * to build a house to the name of the Lord God of Israel. 18 And the Lord said to David my father, Because it came into thine heart to build a house to My name, thou did well that it came upon thine heart; 19 nevertheless thou shall not build the house, but thy son that has proceeded out of thy sides, he shall build the house to My name. 20 And the Lord has raised His word that He spoke, and I arose in the place of my father David, and I have sat down on the throne of Israel, as the Lord has spoken, and I have built the house to the name of the Lord God of Israel. 21 And I have set there a place for the Ark, in which is the covenant of the Lord, which the Lord made with our fathers, when He brought them out of the land of Egypt. 22 And Solomon stood up before the altar of the Lord before the entire assembly of Israel, and he spread out his hands toward heaven, 23 and he said, O Lord God of Israel, there is no God like Thee in heaven above and on the earth beneath, keeping covenant and mercy with Thy servant who walks before Thee with all his heart, 24 which things Thou have kept toward Thy servant David my father and thou have spoken by Thy mouth and Thou has fulfilled it with thine hands, as at this day. 25 And now, O Lord God of Israel, keep for Thy servant, David my father, what Thou have spoken to him, saying, There shall not be taken from thee a man sitting before me on the throne of Israel, provided only thy children shall take heed to their ways, to walk before Me as thou has walked before Me. 26 And now, O Lord God of Israel, do let Thy word to David my father be confirmed. 27 But will God indeed dwell with men upon the earth? If the heaven and heaven of heavens will not suffice for Thee, how much less even this house which I have built to Thy name? 28 And Thou shall look upon my petition, O Lord God of Israel, to hear the joy which Thy servant prays to Thee in Thy presence this day, 29 that thine eyes may be open toward this house day and night, even toward the place which Thou said, My name shall be there, that ye ma6y heed the prayer which Thy servant prays toward this place day and night. 30 And Thou shall hearken to the prayer of Thy servant, and of Thy people Israel, which things they shall pray toward this place, and Thou shall hear in thy dwelling place in heaven, and thou shall do and be merciful. 31 Whatever trespasses any one shall commit against his neighbor, and if he shall take a curse upon him so that he should be cursed, and he shall come and make confession before Thine altar in this house, 32 then shall Thou hear from heaven, and act, and Thou shall judge Thy people Israel, that a wicked person has acted wickedly, to recompense his way upon his head; and to declare righteous a righteous person, to give to him according to his righteousness. 33 When Thy people Israel falls before enemies, because they will sin against Thee, and they shall return and confess Thy name, and they shall pray and supplicate in this house, 34 then shall Thou hear from heaven, and be merciful to the sins of Thy people Israel, and Thou shall bring them again to the land which Thou gave to their fathers. 35 When the sky is restrained, and there is no rain, because they will sin against Thee, and they shall pray toward this place, and they confess Thy name, and shall turn from their sins, when Thou shall humble them, 36 then Thou shall hear from heaven, and be merciful to the sins of Thy servant and of Thy people Israel, for Thou will make clear to them the good way to walk in it, and Thou will grant rain on the land which Thou has given to Thy people for an inheritance. 37 If there should be famine, if there should be death, because there should be burning, locust, or if there be mildew, and if their enemy oppress them in any one of their cities, any plague, any pain, 38 any prayer, any supplication whatever shall be made by any man, as they shall know the grip of his own heart, and shall spread out his hands to this house, 39 then shall Thou hearken from heaven, out of Thine established dwelling place, and will be merciful, and act, and recompense to every man according to his ways, as Thou shall know his heart, for Thou alone know the heart of all the sons of men, 40 that they may fear Thee all the days that they live in the land, which thou gave to our fathers. 41 And for the stranger, he who is not of thy people, 42 when they shall come and pray toward this place, 43 then shall Thou hear from heaven, from Thine established dwelling place, and Thou shall do according to all that the stranger shall call upon Thee for, that all the peoples may know Thy name, and fear Thee, as do Thy people Israel, and may know that Thy name has been invoked on this house which I have built. 44 For Thy people shall go forth to battle against their enemies in the way by which Thou shall turn them, and pray in the name of the Lord by way of the city which Thou has chosen to be in her, and the house which I have built to Thy name, 45 then shall Thou hear from heaven their supplication and their prayer, and shall execute judgment for them. 46 Because they will sin against Thee, for there is not a man who will not sin, and Thou shall bring them and deliver them up before their enemies, and they that take them captive shall carry them to a land far off and near, 47 and they shall turn their hearts in the land, there where they have been carried away, and turn in the land of their deportation, and supplicate to Thee, saying, We have sinned, we have acted iniquitous, we have acted unjustly, 48 and they shall turn to Thee with all their heart, and with all their soul, in the land of their enemies where Thou have carried them away, and shall pray to Thee by way of their land which Thou gave to their fathers, and the city which Thou have chosen, and the house which I have built to Thy name, 49 then shall Thou hear from heaven, from Thine established dwelling place, 50 and Thou shall be merciful to their unrighteousness wherein they have sinned against Thee, and according to all their transgressions wherewith they have transgressed against Thee, and Thou will cause them to be pitied before their captors, and they will have compassion on them, 51 for they are Thy people and Thine inheritance, whom Thou brought out of the land of Egypt, out of the midst of the furnace of iron. 52 And let Thine eyes and Thine ears be open to the supplication of Thy servant, and to the supplication of Thy people Israel, to hearken to them whenever they shall call upon Thee. 53 Because Thou has set them apart for an inheritance to Thyself out of all the peoples of the earth, just as Thou spoke by the hand of Thy servant Moses, when Thou brought our fathers out of the land of Egypt, O Lord O Lord. 53a Then spoke Solomon concerning the house, when he had finished building it, The Lord manifested the sun in the heavens; He said he would dwell in thick darkness: build thou My house, a unique house for Thyself to dwell in anew. Behold, is not this written in the book of the Song? 54 And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished praying to the Lord all this prayer and supplication, that he rose up from before the altar of the Lord, after having knelt upon his knees, and his hands were spread out towards heaven, 55 and he stood, and blessed the entire assembly of Israel with a loud voice, saying, 56 Blessed be the Lord this day, who has given rest to His people Israel according to all that He said; there has not failed one word among all His good words which He spoke by the hand of his servant Moses. 57 May the Lord our God be with us, as He was with our fathers; may He not desert us nor turn us away, 58 that He may turn our hearts toward Him to walk in all His ways, and to keep all His commandments, and His ordinances which He commanded our fathers. 59 And let these words, which I have pleaded before the Lord our God, be near to the Lord our God day and night, that He may maintain the cause of Thy servant, and the cause of Thy people Israel, as the matter of the day in its day 60 so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the Lord God, He is God, and that there is no other. 61 And let our hearts be perfect toward the Lord our God, to walk devoutly in His ordinances, and to keep His commandments, as at this day.
                62 And the king and all the sons of Israel offered a sacrifice before the Lord. 63 And King Solomon offered the sacrifices of peace that he sacrificed to the Lord, twenty-two thousand oxen, and one hundred and twenty thousand sheep, and the king and all the sons of Israel dedicated the house of the Lord. 64 In that day the king consecrated the middle of the court in the front of the house of the Lord, for there he made the whole burnt offering, and the sacrifices, and the fat pieces of the peace offerings, because the bronze altar that was before the Lord was too small to bear the whole burnt offering and the sacrifices of peace.
                65 And Solomon held the feast in that day, and all Israel with him, even a great assembly, from the entering in of Hemath to the river of Egypt, before the Lord our God, in the house which he built, eating and drinking, and rejoicing before the Lord our God for seven days. 66 And on the eighth day he sent the people away, and * they blessed the king, and each departed to his tent rejoicing, and their heart was good because of the good things that the Lord did to His servant David, and to Israel His people.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds: “David”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “he blessed them”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 9

And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished building the house of the Lord, and the king’s house, and all the work of Solomon, whatever he desired to perform, 2 that the Lord appeared to Solomon a second time, as he appeared in * Gabaon. 3 And the Lord said to him, I have heard the voice of thy prayer, and thy supplication which thou petitioned before Me; I have done for thee according to all thy prayer; I have sanctified this house that thou built to put My name there forever, and My eyes and My heart shall be there always. 4 And if thou will walk before Me as David thy father walked, in holiness of heart and in uprightness, and so as to do according to all that I commanded him, and shall keep My ordinances and My commandments, 5 then will I establish the throne of thy kingdom in Israel forever, as I spoke to David thy father, saying, There shall not be taken from thee a man to rule in Israel. 6 But if ye or your children turn aside from Me, and do not keep My commandments and My ordinances, which Moses set before you, and ye go and serve other gods, and do obeisance them, 7 then will I remove Israel from the land which I have given them, and this house which I have sanctified to My name I will cast out from before My face, and Israel shall be a desolation and idle chatter to all the peoples. 8 And this house, which is exalted, shall be so that every one that passes by it shall be amazed, and shall hiss, and they will say, Wherefore has the Lord done thus to this land, and to this house? 9 And men shall say, Because they forsook the Lord their God, who brought out their fathers from Egypt, out of the house of slavery, and they embraced foreign gods, and did obeisance to them, and served them, therefore the Lord has brought this evil upon them. 9a Then Solomon brought up the daughter of Pharaoh out of the city of David into his house which he built for himself in those days. 10 For twenty years, in which Solomon built the two houses, the house of the Lord, and the house of the king, 11 Hiram the King of Tyre provided Solomon with cedar wood, and pine wood, and with gold, and all that he wished for. Then the king gave Hiram twenty cities in the land of Galilee. 12 So Hiram departed from Tyre, and went to Galilee, to see the cities which Solomon gave to him, and they did not please him. 13 And he said, What are these cities which thou have given me, brother? And he called them Boundary until this day. 14 And Hiram brought to Solomon one hundred and twenty talents of gold, 26 and with that King Solomon built a ship at Gasion Gaber, which is near Ailath on the shore of the edge of the sea in the land of Edom. 27 And Hiram sent in the ship some of his servants, mariners who knew how to row in the sea, together with the servants of Solomon. 28 And they went to Sophera, and took from there one hundred and twenty talents of gold, and brought them to King Solomon.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Gabaoth”.

Comment

Originally posted by Panayioti View Post
                    Hi all:

For those that remember from the old site I was posting my English translation of the Septuagint on TWeb with the moderators kind permission. If you like what you see I'll keep going. If you do NOT like what you see I'll keep going and you can go to another catagory.

I hope that TWeb still has my old posts of my translation of the Septuagint. If not I'll back track and post my older translations of the Septuagint from my English translation of the LXX called The Holy Orthodox Bible. Enjoy.
                    Sadly, we lost everything in the crash. Some things can be found via archive.org, but it's quite hit or miss.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 10

And the Queen of Sheba heard of the name of Solomon, and the name of the Lord, and she came to test him with riddles, 2 and she came to Jerusalem with a very great entourage, and there were camels bearing spices, and very much gold, and precious stones, and she came in to Solomon, and spoke to him all that was in her heart. 3 And Solomon answered all her questions; and there was not a question overlooked by the king which he did not answer to her. 4 And the Queen of Sheba saw all the discernment of Solomon, and the house which he built, 5 and the food of Solomon and the sitting of his attendants, and the standing of his servants, and his clothing, and his cupbearers, and his whole burnt offering which he offered in the house of the Lord, and she was beside herself. 6 And she said to King Solomon, The report is true which I heard in my land concerning thy words and concerning thy wisdom. 7 But I did not believe those who told me, until I came and saw it with my own eyes, and, behold, as they reported to me, it is not even the half of it. Thou has added good things to them in every report which I heard in my land. 8 Blessed are thy wives, blessed are these, thy servants, who stand before thee continually, who hear all thy discernment. 9 May the Lord thy God be blessed, who has desired thee, to set thee upon the throne of Israel, because the Lord loved Israel to establish it forever, he also made thee king over them to execute judgment in righteousness, even in their causes. 10 And she gave to Solomon one hundred and twenty talents of gold, and very many spices, and precious stones. Like those spices, which the Queen of Sheba gave to King Solomon, which have never again come in such quantities. 11 (And the ship of Hiram which carried the gold from Souphir brought very much unhewn wood and precious stones. 12 And the king made the unhewn wood supports of the house of the Lord and the king’s house, and lyres and harps for the singers. Such unhewn wood had not come into the land or been seen anywhere to this day.) 13 And King Solomon gave to the Queen of Saba all that she desired, whatever she asked, beyond all he had given her by the hand of King Solomon, and she returned, and went into her own land, she and all her servants. 14 And the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred and sixty-six talents of gold. 15 Besides the tributes from those who are subjects, and from the merchants and from all the kings who are from beyond the river Jordan, and the satraps of the land. 16 And Solomon made three hundred spears of beaten gold; three hundred pieces of gold went into one spear. 17 And three hundred weapons of beaten gold; and three * minas of gold went into one weapon, and * the king put them in the House of the Forest of Lebanon. 18 And the king made a great ivory throne, and gilded it with pure gold; 19 The throne had six steps, and the throne had heads of calves in relief behind it, and on this side and on that side, on the place of the seat, were armrests and two lions standing by the armrests, 20 and twelve lions were standing there at opposite ends of each step, on the six steps; it was not so done in any other kingdom. 21 And all of Solomon’s drinking vessels were of gold, and the lavers were of gold, and all the vessels of the House of the Forest of Lebanon were overlaid with gold; there was no silver, for it was not considered in the days of Solomon. 22 * For King Solomon had a ship of Tharsis at sea with the ships of Hiram, one ship came to the king every three years from Tharsis, with gold and silver, and carved and hewn stones. 22a This was the arrangement of the provision which King Solomon brought to build the house of the Lord, and the house of the king, and the wall of Jerusalem, and the citadel, to fortify all around the railing of the city of David, and Assour, and Magdal, and Gazer, and Baithoron the upper, and Jethermath, and all the cities of the chariots, and all the cities of the horsemen, and the workings of Solomon which he was engaged in, to build in Jerusalem and in all the land, 22b so that all the people who were left of the Hittite and of the Amorrite, and of the Pherezite, and of the Canaanite, and of the Evite, and of the Jebousite, and of the Gergesite, who were not of the sons of Israel, their children who remained after them in the land, those whom the sons of Israel were not able to destroy, would not reign over him. And Solomon brought them under tribute until this day. 22c And from the sons of Israel Solomon demanded nothing, for they were men of war, and his servants and rulers, and captains of the third order, and the commanders of his chariots, and his horsemen. 23 And Solomon was greater then all the kings of the earth in wealth and in wisdom. 24 And all the kings of the earth sought the face of Solomon to hear his wisdom which the Lord had put into his heart. 25 And they brought every one their gifts, vessels of gold, and raiment, oil of myrrh, and spices, and horses, and mules, this every year by year. 26 And Solomon had four thousand mares for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen, and he put them in the cities for his chariots, and with the king in Jerusalem. 26a And he ruled over all the kings from the river to the land of the * Philistines, and to the borders of Egypt. 27 And the king gave gold and silver in Jerusalem as stones, and he gave the cedars like sycamores that are in the plain in abundance. 28 And Solomon’s import of horses was from Egypt and Thekoue, and the king’s merchants would receive them from Thekoue by barter. 29 And that which proceeded from Egypt rose, even a chariot for a hundred pieces of silver, and a horse for fifty pieces of silver, and thus to all the kings of the Hittites, and the kings of Syria, they used to go out by sea.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “he”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “For the king had a ship of Tharsis…”

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 11

And King Solomon was a lover of women. And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines. And he took foreign women, both the daughter of Pharaoh, Moabite, Ammonite, Syrians and Idumeans, Hittites, and Amorites, 2 from the nations concerning whom the Lord forbade the sons of Israel, saying, Ye shall not go in to them, and they shall not come in to you, lest they turn away your hearts after their idols; Solomon clung to them for love. * 4 And it came to pass, in the time of the old age of Solomon that his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father. 5 Then Solomon built a high place to Hamos, the idol of Moab, and to their king, the idol of the sons of Ammon, 6 and to Astarte the abomination of the Sidonians. 7 And thus he acted towards all his foreign wives; who offered incense and sacrificed to their idols. 8 And Solomon did that which was evil before the Lord; he did not go after the Lord as David his father. 9 And the Lord was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the Lord God of Israel, who had appeared twice to him, 10 and charged him concerning this matter, by no means to go after other gods, but to take heed to do what the Lord God commanded him, * neither was his heart perfect with the Lord, according to the heart of David his father. 11 And the Lord said to Solomon, Because it has been thus with thee, and thou have not kept My commandments and My ordinances which I commanded thee, by tearing I will tear thy kingdom out of thy hand and give it to thy servant. 12 Only in thy days I will not do it for David thy father’s sake; but I will take it out of the hand of thy son. 13 Only I will not take away the whole kingdom; I will give one scepter to thy son for David My servant’s sake, and for the sake of Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen. 14 And the Lord rose up an adversary against Solomon, Ader the Idumean, and Esrom the son of Eliadae, who was in * Raemmath, of Adrazar the King of Souba, his master, and men gathered around him, and he was the leader of a confederation, and he first seized Damascus, and they were an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon. And Ader the Idumean was of the royal lineage in Idumaea. 15 And it happened, when David utterly destroyed Edom while Joab, commander of the army, went to bury the dead, that they killed every male in Idumaea 16 (for Joab and all Israel encamped there six months in Idumaea, until he eradicated every male in Idumaea), 17 that Ader ran away, he and all the Idumean men of the servants of his father with him, and they went into Egypt, and Ader was then a small child. 18 And there rose up men out of the city of Madiam, and they came into Pharan, and they took men with them, and came to Pharaoh, the King of Egypt, and Ader went in before Pharaoh, and he gave him a house, and arranged food for him. 19 And Ader found great favor in the sight of Pharaoh, and he gave him his wife’s sister in marriage, the elder sister of Thekemina. 20 And the sister of Thekemina bore to him, even to Ader, Ganebath her son, and Thekemina brought him up in the midst of the sons of Pharaoh, and Ganebath was in the midst of the sons of Pharaoh. 21 And Ader heard in Egypt that David slept with his fathers, and that Joab the commander of the army, was dead, and Ader said to Pharaoh, Send me away, and I will return to my land. 22 And Pharaoh said to Ader, What do thou lack with me? That lo! Thou seek to go to thy land? And Ader said to him; By all means please send me away. So Ader returned to his land. And this was the evil which Ader did, and he was incensed with Israel, and he reigned in the land of Edom. * 26 And Jeroboam the son of Nabat, the Ephrathite from Sarira, the son of a widow woman, who was a servant of Solomon. 27 And this was the matter of his lifting up his hands against King Solomon. * And King Solomon built the citadel, closed the defensive wall of the city of David his father, 28 and the man Jeroboam was very strong, and Solomon saw the young man that he was a diligent man, and he set him over the levies of the house of Joseph. 29 And it came to pass at that time, that Jeroboam went forth from Jerusalem, and Achia the Selonite the prophet found him on the way, and caused him to turn aside out of the way, and Achia had clothed himself with a new garment, and both were in the field. 30 And Achia laid hold of his new garment that was upon him, and tore it into twelve pieces. 31 And he said to Jeroboam, Take to thyself ten pieces, for thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Behold, I rend the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon, and will give thee ten scepters. 32 Yet he shall have two scepters, for My servant David’s sake, and for the sake of Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel. 33 Because he forsook Me, and sacrificed to Astarte, the abomination of the Sidonians, and to Hamos, and to the idols of Moab, and to their king, the affront of the sons of Ammon, and he did not walk in My ways, to do that which was right before Me, like David his father did. 34 And I will not take the whole kingdom out of his hand, because by resisting I will resist him all the days of his life, for David My servant’s sake, which I have chosen. 35 But I will take the kingdom out of the hand of his son, and give thee ten scepters. 36 But to his son I will give the two remaining tribes so that My servant David may have a * dynasty continually before Me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen for Myself to put My name there. 37 And I will take thee, and thou shall reign as thy soul desires, and thou shall be king over Israel. 38 And it shall come to pass, if thou will keep all the commandments that I shall give thee, and will walk in My ways, and do that which is right before Me, to keep My ordinances and My commandments, as David, my servant, did, then I will be with thee, and will build thee a sure house, as I built for David. 40 And Solomon sought to kill Jeroboam, but he arose and fled into Egypt, to Sousakim the King of Egypt, and he was in Egypt until Solomon died. 41 And the rest of the words of Solomon, and all that he did, and all his wisdom, behold are not these things written in the book of the acts of Solomon? 42 And the days that Solomon reigned in Jerusalem * over all Israel were forty years. 43 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the city of David his father. And it came to pass, when Jeroboam the son of Nabat heard of it, even while he was still in Egypt, since he fled from the face of Solomon and settled in Egypt, he went straight and came to his city in the land of Sarira in the hills of Ephraim. 44 And King Solomon slept with his fathers, and Roboam his son reigned in his stead.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds verse 3 as follows: “And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, and his wives turned away his heart”.

* Codex Alexandrinus omits the phrase: “neither was his heart perfect with the Lord, according to the heart of David his father”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Raemmaaer”.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds verses 23, 24 & 25 as follows: “23 And the Lord also rose up another adversary against Solomon, Razon the son of Eliadae, and Barameeth, of Adadezer the King of Souba, his master 24 and men gathered around him, and he was the leader of a confederation, when David tried to kill them, and they went to Damascus, and they settled there and they ruled in Demascus, 25 and he was the enemy of Israel all the days of Solomon”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Solomon built…”

* The Greek word here is θέσις which literally means a setting, placement or an established arrangement. However, in the above context it is clearly referencing the perpetual establishment of the Davidic dynasty.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “over all Israel”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 12

And King Roboam went to Sikima, for all Israel were coming to Sikima to make him king. * 3 And the people spoke to King Roboam, saying, 4 Thy father made our yoke heavy, but do thou now lighten some of the hard service of thy father, and of his heavy yoke which he placed upon us, and we will serve thee. 5 And he said to them, Depart for three days, and return to me. And they departed. 6 And the king summoned the elders who had attended before Solomon his father while he was still living, saying, How do ye advise that I should answer this people? 7 And they spoke to him, saying, If thou will this day be a servant to this people, and serve them, and speak to them good words, then will they be thy servants forever. 8 But he disregarded the counsel of the elders that they counseled him and consulted with the young men who were brought up with him, who attended before him. 9 And he said to them, What counsel do ye give? And what shall I answer to this people who speak to me, saying, Lighten some of the yoke which thy father has put upon us? 10 And the young men who had been brought up with him, who attended before him, spoke to him, saying, Thus shall thou say to this people who have spoken to thee, saying, Thy father made our yoke heavy, and do thou now lighten it from off us, thus shall ye say to them, My little finger is thicker than my father’s loins. 11 And whereas my father did lay on you a heavy yoke, I also will add to your yoke; my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. 12 And all Israel came to King Roboam on the third day, as the king told them, saying, Return to me on the third day. 13 And the king answered the people harshly, and Roboam disregarded the counsel of the elders that they counseled him. 14 And he spoke to them according to the counsel of the young men, saying, My father made your yoke heavy, and I will add to your yoke; my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. 15 And the king hearkened not to the people, because the change was from the Lord, that he might establish His word which He spoke by Achia the Selonite concerning Jeroboam the son of Nabat. 16 And all Israel saw that the king did not hearken to them, and the people answered the king, saying, What portion do we have in David? Neither do we have any inheritance in the son of Jesse. Depart, O Israel, to thy tents! Now feed thine own house, O David. So Israel went away to its tents. 18 And the king sent Adoniram who was over the levy, and * they stoned him with stones, and he died, and King Roboam was the first to mount to flee to Jerusalem. 19 So Israel rebelled against the house of David until this day. 20 And it came to pass, when all Israel heard that Jeroboam had returned out of Egypt, that they sent and called him to the assembly and they made him king over Israel, and there was no one behind * the house of David except the scepter of Judah and Benjamin only. 21 And Roboam entered into Jerusalem, and he assembled the gathering of Judah, and the scepter of Benjamin, one hundred and twenty thousand young men, warriors, to fight against the house of Israel to restore the kingdom to Roboam the son of Solomon. 22 And the word of the Lord came to Samaias, the man of God, saying, 23 Say to Roboam the son of Solomon, King of Judah, and to all the house of Judah and Benjamin, and to the rest of the people, saying, 24 Thus saith the Lord, Ye shall not go up, neither shall ye fight with your brothers, the sons of Israel; let each man return to his own home, for this thing is from me. And they hearkened to the word of the Lord, and they stopped from going up, according to the word of the Lord. 24a And King Solomon slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David. And Roboam his son reigned in his stead in Jerusalem, being sixteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twelve years in Jerusalem, and his mother’s name was Naanan, the daughter of Anan the son of Naas the King of the sons of Ammon, and he did that which was evil before the Lord, and walked not in the way of David his father. 24b And there was a man of Mount Ephraim, a servant of Solomon, and his name was Jeroboam, and the name of his mother was Sarira, a prostitute, and Solomon made him ruler of the staff over the burdens of the house of Joseph, and he built for Solomon Sarira, which was in Mount Ephraim, and he had three hundred chariots of horses; he built the citadel with the burdens of the house of Ephraim; he fortified the city of David, and he aspired to the kingdom. 24c And Solomon sought to kill him, and he was afraid, and ran away to Sousakim the King of Egypt, and he was with him until Solomon died. 24d And Jeroboam heard in Egypt that Solomon was dead, and he spoke in the ears of Sousakim, the King of Egypt, saying, Send me away, and I will depart into my land, and Sousakim said to him, Ask any request, and I will give it to thee. 24e And Sousakim gave to Jeroboam Ano the eldest sister of Thekemina his wife, to him as a wife; she was great among the daughters of the king, and she bore to Jeroboam Abia his son. 24f And Jeroboam said to Sousakim, Do surely send me away, and I will depart. And Jeroboam departed out of Egypt, and came into the land of Sarira, which is in Mount Ephraim, and there the whole scepter of Ephraim assembled, and Jeroboam built a fortress there. 24g And his young child was sick with a very severe sickness, and Jeroboam went to enquire concerning the young child, and he said to Ano his wife, Arise, and go; enquire of God concerning the young child, whether he will recover from his sickness. 24h And there was a man in * Selom, and his name was Achia, and he was a son of sixty years old, and the word of the Lord was with him. And Jeroboam said to his wife, Arise, and take in thine hand for the man of God bread loaves and cakes for his children, and grapes and a jar of honey. And the woman arose, 24i and took in her hand bread loaves, and two cakes, and grapes, and a jar of honey for Achia, and the man was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see. 24k And she arose from Sarira and came, and it came to pass, after she had come into the city to Achia the Selonite, that Achia said to his servant lad, Truly, Go out to meet Ano the wife of Jeroboam, and thou will say to her, Come in and do not stand, for thus saith the Lord, I will send difficult things upon thee. 24l And Ano went in before the man of God, and Achia said to her, Why have thou brought me loaves of bread and grapes, and cakes, and a pot of honey? Thus saith the Lord, Behold, thou will depart from Me, and it will be when thou enter the gate to Sarira that thy maidens shall come out to meet thee, and will say to thee, The child has died. 24m for thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will utterly destroy every male of Jeroboam, and the dead of Jeroboam will be in the city, the dogs will eat them, and the birds of the air will devour the one who has died in the field. And they shall lament for the child, saying, Woe, O Lord! For there has been found in him a good thing touching the Lord.
                          24n And the woman departed when she heard this, and it came to pass, as she entered into Sarira, that the child died, and there came forth a wailing to meet her. 24o And Jeroboam went to Sikima, which is in Mount Ephraim, and assembled there the tribes of Israel, and Roboam the son of Solomon, went up there, and the word of the Lord came to Samaias the Elami, saying, Take to thyself a new garment, which has not gone in water, and tear it into twelve pieces, and thou shall give some to Jeroboam, and shall say to him, thus saith the Lord, Take to thyself ten pieces to cover thee, and Jeroboam took them, and Samaias said, Thus saith the Lord concerning the ten tribes of Israel. 24p And the people said to Roboam the son of Solomon, Thy father made his yoke heavy upon us, and made the food of his table heavy. And now if thou will lighten them upon us, then we will serve thee. And Roboam said to the people, Wait three days, and I will return you an answer. 24q And Roboam said, Bring in to me the elders, and I will take counsel with them on what I shall answer to the people on the third day, So Roboam spoke in their ears, as the people sent to him to say, and the elders of the people said, Thus the people have spoken to thee. 24r And Roboam rejected their counsel, as it was not pleasing before him, and he sent and assembled those who had been brought up with him and he spoke to them about the various matters, saying, And the people sent to me, saying these things. And those who had been brought up with him said, Thus shall thou speak to the people saying, My little finger is thicker than my father’s loins; my father scourged you with whips, but I will rule you with scorpions. 24s And the saying pleased Roboam, and he answered the people as the young men who grew up with him had counseled him. And all the people spoke as one man, every one to his neighbor, and they cried out all together, saying, We have no part in David, nor inheritance in the son of Jesse; to thy tents, O Israel, for this man is not for a ruler or a leader over us. 24u And all the people were dispersed from Sikima, and they departed every one to his tent. And Roboam retained power and departed, and mounted on his chariot, and entered into Jerusalem: and there follow him the whole scepter of Judah, and the whole scepter of Benjamin. 24x And it came to pass at the beginning of the year, that Roboam gathered all the men of Judah and Benjamin, and went up to fight against Jeroboam at Sikima. 24y And the word of the Lord came to Samaias a man of God, saying, Speak to Roboam, King of Judah, and to all the house of Judah and Benjamin, and to the rest of the people, saying, Thus saith the Lord, Ye shall not go up, neither shall ye fight against your brothers, the sons of Israel; return every man to his house, for this word has come from Me. 24z And they hearkened to the word of the Lord, and forbore to go up, according to the word of the Lord. 25 And Jeroboam built Sikima, which is in Mount Ephraim and lived in it, and went forth from there and built Phanouel. 26 And Jeroboam said in his heart, Behold, now the kingdom will return to the house of David. 27 If these people shall go up to offer sacrifice in the house of the Lord in Jerusalem, the heart of the people will return to the Lord, and to their lord, to Roboam the King of Judah, and they will kill me. 28 And the king took counsel, and went, and made two golden calves, and said to the people, Let it suffice for you to go up to Jerusalem; behold, thy gods, O Israel, who brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. 29 And he put one in Bethel, and he put the other one in Dan. 30 And this thing became a sin, and the people would go before one as far as Dan, * and they left the house of the Lord. 31 And he made houses on the high places, and made priests of some part of the people, who were not of the sons of Levi. 32 And Jeroboam made a feast in the eighth month in the fifteenth day of the month, according to the feast in the land of Judah, and he went up onto the altar which he made in Bethel to sacrifice to the calves which he made, and he placed in Bethel the priests of the high places which he had made. 33 And he went up onto the altar which he had made on the fifteenth day in the eighth month on the feast which he devised from his heart, and he made a feast for the sons of Israel, and went up onto the altar to sacrifice.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds verses 2 and 3 as follows: “2 And it came to pass, when Jeroboam the son of Nabat heard, he was still in Egypt, where he had fled from before the face of King Solomon, and had settled in Egypt ever since, 3 and they sent and called for him, and Jeroboam came and the entire assembly of Israel”.

* Codex Alexandrinus reads: “all Israel”.

* Codex Vaticanus omits: “the house”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads: “Selo”.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 13

And behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the Lord to Baithel, and Jeroboam was standing by the altar to sacrifice. 2 And he proclaimed against the altar by the word of the Lord, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the Lord, Behold, a son shall be born to the house of David, Josias by name, and he shall sacrifice upon thee the priests of the high places, even of those who sacrifice upon thee, and he shall burn people’s bones upon thee. 3 And in that day he shall give a sign, saying, This is the word that the Lord has spoken, saying, Behold, the altar shall be torn down, and the fatness upon it shall be poured out.
                            4 And it came to pass when King Jeroboam heard the words of the man of God who called out against the altar that was in Baithel, that the king stretched forth his hand from the altar, saying, Take hold of him! And behold, his hand, which he stretched forth against him, withered, and he could not draw it back to himself. 5 And the altar was torn down, and the fatness was poured out from the altar, according to the sign which the man of God gave by the word of the Lord. 6 And King Jeroboam said to the man of God, Entreat the face of the Lord thy God, and let my hand be restored to me. And the man of God entreated the face of the Lord, and he restored the king’s hand to him, and it became as it was before. 7 And the king said to the man of God, Enter with me into the house, and dine, and I will give thee a gift. 8 And the man of God said to the king, If thou should give me the half of thine house, I would not go in with thee, neither will I eat food, neither will I drink water in this place. 9 For thus the Lord charged me by His word, saying, Do not eat bread, and do not drink water, and do not return by the way by which thou came. 10 So he departed by another way, and did not return by the way by which he came to Baithel. 11 And there lived an old prophet in Baithel and his sons came and told him all the works that the man of God did on that day in Baithel, and the words which he spoke to the king, and they turned the face of their father. 12 And their father spoke to them, saying, Which way has he gone? And his sons showed him the way by which the man of God who came out of Judah went up. 13 And he said to his sons, Saddle me the donkey, and they saddled him the donkey, and he mounted it. 14 And he went after the man of God, and found him sitting under an oak tree, and he said to him, Art thou the man of God that came out of Judah? And he said to him, I am. 15 And he said to him, Come with me, and eat some bread. 16 And he said, I am not able to return with thee, neither will I eat bread, neither will I drink water in this place. 17 For thus the Lord commanded me by word, saying, Do not eat bread there, and do not drink water, and do not return there by the way by which thou came. 18 And he said to him, I also am a prophet as thou art, and an angel spoke to me by the word of the Lord, saying, Bring him back to thee into thy house, and let him eat bread and drink water, but he lied to him. 19 And he brought him back, and he ate bread and drank water in his house. 20 And it came to pass, while they were sitting at the table, that the word of the Lord came to the prophet who had brought him back, 21 and he said to the man of God that came out of Judah, saying, Thus saith the Lord, Forasmuch as thou have embittered the word of the Lord, and have not kept the commandment which the Lord thy God commanded thee, 22 but came back, and ate bread and drunk water in this place of which He spoke to thee, saying, Thou shall not eat bread, and shall not drink water, therefore thy body shall not come to the tomb of thy fathers. 23 And it came to pass, after he had eaten bread and drank water that he saddled the donkey for him, and he turned back. 24 And he departed, and a lion found him in the road, and killed him, and his body was cast out in the road, and the donkey was standing by it, and the lion also was standing by the body. 25 And, behold, men were passing by, and saw the carcass cast in the road, and the lion was standing by the carcass, and they came in and spoke of it in the city where the old prophet lived. 26 And he who had turned him back out of the road heard, and said, This is the man of God who embittered the word of the Lord. 28 And he went and found his body cast in the road, and the donkey and the lion were standing by the body, and the lion did not devoured the body of the man of God, and did not mull the donkey. 29 And the prophet took up the body of the man of God, and laid it on his donkey, and the prophet brought him back to the city to bury him 30 in his own grave, and they lamented over him, saying, Alas, brother! 31 And it came to pass, after he had lamented him, that he spoke to his sons, saying, Whenever I die, bury me in this grave wherein the man of God is buried; lay me by his bones, that my bones may be preserved with his bones. 32 For the word shall come to pass which he spoke by the word of the Lord against the altar which is in Baithel, and against the houses in the high places in Samaria. 33 And after this Jeroboam did not turn from his evil, but he turned and made a part of the people priests of the high places; anyone who wanted to, he would fill his hand, and he would became a priest for the high places. 34 And this thing became a sin to the house of Jeroboam and as its ruin and as its destruction from the face of the earth.

Comment

III Kingdoms (LXX)

Chapter 14

* And Roboam the son of Solomon ruled over Judah; Roboam was a son of forty and one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in the city Jerusalem, which the Lord chose to put His name there out of all the tribes of Israel, and his mother’s name was Naama the Ammonite. 22 And Roboam did what was wicked before the Lord and provoked Him to jealousy in all the things which his fathers did in their sins which they sinned. 23 And they built for themselves high places, and pillars, and sacred groves on every high hill, and under every shady tree. 24 And there was a conspiracy in the land, and they did according to all the abominations of the heathens, which the Lord removed from before the face of the sons of Israel. 25 And it came to pass in the fifth year of the reign of Roboam, * Sousakim, the King of Egypt, came up against Jerusalem * 26 and took all the treasures of the house of the king, and the golden spears that David took out of the hand of the children of Adrazar, the King of Souba, and brought them into Jerusalem, even all that he took, and the golden shields which Solomon had made, and carried them away into Egypt. 27 And King Roboam made bronze shields instead of them. And the officers of the bodyguard, who guarded the gateway of the house of the king, were placed in charge over them. 28 And it came to pass when the king went into the house of the Lord that the bodyguards would remove them, and hold them in the chamber of the bodyguards. 29 And the rest of the chronicles of Roboam, and all that he did, behold, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Judah? 30 And there was war between Roboam and between Jeroboam all the days they reigned. 31 And Roboam slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David, and Abiou his son reigned in his stead.

* Codex Alexandrinus adds the following verses: 1 At that time Abia the son of Jeroboam fell sick 2 and Jeroboam said to his wife, Arise and disguise thyself, so that it be not known that you are the wife of Jeroboam, and go to Selo; and behold, Ahia the prophet is there, who said of me that I should be king over this people. 3 And take in thy hands bread loaves for the man of God as well as small cakes for his children, and raisins and a jar of honey, and you shall go to him. He will tell you what will happen to the child. 4. And Jeroboam’s wife did so; she arose and went to Selo, and entered into the house of Ahia; and the man was old and could not see because his eyes were dim from old age. 5 And the Lord said to Ahia, Behold the wife of Jeroboam is coming to inquire of you concerning her son, for he is ill. According to this and according to that shall ye say to her. And it came to pass, that when she entered, she pretended to be a stranger. 6 And it came to pass, that when Ahia heard the sound of her feet, as she entered at the door, he said, Enter, O wife of Jeroboam; why do you pretend to be a stranger? For I am an envoy of difficult tidings to you. 7 Go, say to Jeroboam, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, For as much as I have exalted thee from the midst of the people, and appointed thee as leader over my people Israel, 8 and tore away the kingdom from the house of David and gave it to thee, and still ye have not become like My servant David, who kept My commandments, and who went after Me with all his heart. Doing that which was right each time in My eyes. 9 But you have done wickedly above all that were before you, and you have gone and made for yourself other gods and molten images, provoking Me to anger and you have cast me behind your back. 10 Therefore behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and I will utterly cut off from Jeroboam every male, those coming and those remaining in Israel, and I choose this for the house of Jeroboam as one chooses to sweep away dung. 11 Those belonging to Jeroboam who dies in the city the dogs shall eat, and those who die in the field the birds of the sky shall devour, for the Lord has spoken it. 12 And you, arise, and go into thy house; when thy feet enter the city the child shall die. 13 And all of Israel shall mourn for him, and shall bury him, for he only of Jeroboam shall come to the grave, for he is the only one in whom the Lord God of Israel found anything good in the house of Jeroboam. 14 And the Lord will raise up for Himself a king over Israel, who shall cut off the house of Jeroboam, from this day and henceforth; 15 the Lord shall strike Israel like a strong wind that surges in the water, and root up Israel out of this good land of which He gave to their fathers, and He shall scatter them beyond the river, because they have made their sacred groves, provoking the Lord to anger. 16 And the Lord will give Israel up on account of the sins of Jeroboam, who sinned and who led Israel into sin. 17 Then the wife of Jeroboam arose, and went unto the land of Sarira, and it came to pass as she entered in the threshold of the house, the child died. 18 And they buried him, and all of Israel mourned him, according to the word of the Lord, which He spoke by the hand of His servant Ahia the prophet. 19 And the rest of the acts of Jeroboam, how he waged war and how he reigned, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Days of the Kings of Israel. 20 And the days that Jeroboam reigned were twenty-two years; and he slept with his fathers, and Nabat his son reigned in his stead.

* The Complutesian Polyglot’s LXX text reads: “Sousak”.

* Codex Vaticanus reads verse 26: “and took all the treasures of the house of the Lord and the treasures of the house of the king, and the golden spears that David took out of the hand of the children of Adraazar, the King of Souba, and brought them into Jerusalem; he took all the golden shields”.
                              Last edited by Panayioti; 10-11-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X