Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus: "My God, My God why has thou forsaken me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus: "My God, My God why has thou forsaken me?

What language was Jesus speaking when He said this?

Thanks.

Aramaic

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
      Aramaic
      The reason I am asking is that a Muslim thinks Jesus called out for ALLAHA.

Comment

I don't know Aramaic, but from what I understand about Aramaic, it's possible that the word for God is cognate with the Arabic, as they are related languages. In the end it shouldn't matter, because Jesus was speaking the normal Aramaic word for God (and Arabic-speaking Christians, such as those in my own Antiochian jurisdiction, use the word "Allah"), but I know that won't matter to a Muslim.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matt. 27:46, KJV).

If Jesus was referring to Psalm 22:1, some scholars believe He was using a transliteration of both Aramaic and Hebrew.

In either case, the Psalm is most certainly about the real God, and not Allah.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matt. 27:46, KJV).

If Jesus was referring to Psalm 22:1, some scholars believe He was using a transliteration of both Aramaic and Hebrew.

In either case, the Psalm is most certainly about the real God, and not Allah.
            While I agree with you, and I agree that the Muslim concept of Allah is not the Judeo-Christian God, I emphasize again that Arabic-speaking Christians use the word "Allah" since it is the generic word for God in Arabic.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

While I agree with you, and I agree that the Muslim concept of Allah is not the Judeo-Christian God, I emphasize again that Arabic-speaking Christians use the word "Allah" since it is the generic word for God in Arabic.
              yes
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                The reason I am asking is that a Muslim thinks Jesus called out for ALLAHA.
                Couldn't be. Even if you stretch "Eli/Eloi" to "Allah", the Allah of Islam only responds to prayers in Arabic - and the rest of his statement could not be considered Arabic.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Arab Jews and Christians do say Allah when referring to God but that is only because they speak Arabic. They do not have the same conception of God as Muslims do; for instance, some of the Christians are trinitarian.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Couldn't be. Even if you stretch "Eli/Eloi" to "Allah", the Allah of Islam only responds to prayers in Arabic - and the rest of his statement could not be considered Arabic.
                    And this phrase was originally spoken by King David and he did not speak in Arabic.

Comment

And this phrase was originally spoken by King David and he did not speak in Arabic.
                      Correct, David spoke clear King James English with a British accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Correct, David spoke clear King James English with a British accent.
                        duh. everyone knows King David used the KJV version of the bible.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          duh. everyone knows King David used the KJV version of the bible.
                          It was good enough for Paul and Silas!

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

You never know. Maybe David DID speak in Arabic, but the nefarious Jews changed it to Hebrew when they corrupted the text.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Arab Jews and Christians do say Allah when referring to God but that is only because they speak Arabic. They do not have the same conception of God as Muslims do; for instance, some of the Christians are trinitarian.
                              I don't know why I bother.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X