Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Isaiah commentary recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isaiah commentary recommendations

Can anybody recommend a good scholarly commentary on Isaiah? Thanks.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good scholarly commentary on Isaiah? Thanks.
    The best commentary on Isaiah is the two-volume NICNT commentary by John N. Oswalt.
    The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1–39 (New International Commentary on the Old Testament) Hardcover
    by John N. Oswalt (Author)

The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40–66 (New International Commentary on the Old Testament) Hardcover
    by John N. Oswalt (Author)

See the many 5-star reviews at Amazon.com., and don't miss the ones on the right sides of the pages.
    Last edited by John Reece; 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM.

Comment

E.J. Young

http://www.christianbook.com/the-boo...805959/pd/0585

Comment

I would recommend going through a survey of Isaiah.

I had listened to one years ago by Steve Gregg. I'm not sure if the link here points to the same lectures or to an updated version. But try here:

http://theos.org/media/category/84/

Although I like the idea of learning directly from scripture, Isaiah simply requires a lot of familiarity with the general OT background in order to get sufficiently oriented with the context of Isaiah's writing.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations. While my primary interest is not in the unity of Isaiah, it is interesting that Oswalt is apparently one of the few scholars who does hold to it so I look forward to seeing what he has to say on the topic.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X