Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The camel and the needle's eye and the word that became flesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The camel and the needle's eye and the word that became flesh

As you might know "camel" and "needle's eye" (in the saying "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God") are names of Hebrew letters, "gimel" (3rd letter of Hebrew alphabet) and "kuf" (19th letter).

"gamal" as a verb can mean "to wean", like in Genesis 21:8, And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.

In German it is "ablaktieren", Latin "ablactari", i.e. abstain from milk.

In the context of Mark this makes sense.

Mark 10:21-22, Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come follow me.
    And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

The young man of Mark 14:51-52 seeming to be the same: And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and they laid hold on him:
    And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.
    -- leaving all his theories behind

Returning in Mark 16:5, And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.

"sitting on the right side" --καθήμενον ἐν τοῖς δεξιοῖς cf. Mark 14:62,And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
    "sitting on the right hand" ἐκ δεξιῶν καθήμενον (which is after Psalms 110:1).

Hebrew letters are consonants. They form "the body" of the word, i.e. "the flesh". John 6:51, I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

cf. 1 Corinthians 3:1-3,
    And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
    For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

So: Milk is for the carnal, flesh for the spiritual.

"And the word became flesh" --

Flesh = Hebrew "basar" , root of "b'sorah" = message, good tidings =Gospel.

Luke 2:10-11, And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
    For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

(Needle's eye in fact is "kuf hamachat", of which gematria is 248, same as of Abraham, i.e. Abram with the extra letter "hé")

Yowza! Our first nutcase! Welcome to theologyweb!!! well done.

Comment

By the way, in German, Camel is "Kamel" and in Latin it is "Cameli" or "Camelus" and in German Milk is "Milch" so you are completely wrong.

Comment

Glad you're still alive.

Comment

Isaiah 11:8, And an infant shall play over the hole of an old snake and over the eyeball of an adder, a weaned child shall stretch forth his hand.

Infant = Hebrew יוֹנֵק, "yoneik" , from "yanak" = to suck

Weaned child = גָּמוּל, "gamul", from "gamal" -- like also "gamal" =camel.

LXX has for "yoneik" παιδίον νήπιον

Psalms 8:3, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings You have established strength because of Your adversaries, in order to put an end to enemy and avenger.

Babes = עוֹלְלִים, "olilim"

Sucklings = יֹנְקִים, "yonikim".

LXX: ἐκ στόματος νηπίων καὶ θηλαζόντων κατηρτίσω αἶνον ἕνεκα τῶν ἐχθρῶν σου τοῦ καταλῦσαι ἐχθρὸν καὶ ἐκδικητήν

After this Matthew 21:16, καὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ, Ἀκούεις τί οὗτοι λέγουσιν; ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς λέγει αὐτοῖς, Ναί: οὐδέποτε ἀνέγνωτε ὅτι Ἐκ στόματος νηπίων καὶ θηλαζόντων κατηρτίσω αἶνον; And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

θηλάζω =
          1) to give the breast, give suck, to suckle 2) to suck

You'll find also in the so called Olivet-discourse, Matthew 24:19, οὐαὶ δὲ ταῖς ἐν γαστρὶ ἐχούσαις καὶ ταῖς θηλαζούσαις ἐν ἐκείναις ταῖς ἡμέραις, And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

German: “Wie schwer werden es die Frauen haben, die ein Kind erwarten oder stillen”, that's nice ..

"gamal" =to wean, Greek ‘apogalathèsasthaì’ , LXX Genesis 21:8, . καὶ ηὐξήθη τὸ παιδίον καὶ ἀπεγαλακτίσθη καὶ ἐποίησεν Aβρααμ δοχὴν μεγάλην ᾗ ἡμέρᾳ ἀπεγαλακτίσθη Iσαακ ὁ υἱὸς αὐτοῦ

γάλα = milk, German "Milch"

1 Corinthians 3:1-3, Brothers, I was not able to speak to you as spiritual people but as people of the flesh, as babies in Christ.
          I gave you milk to drink, not solid food, because you were not yet ready for it. In fact, you are still not ready, because you are still fleshly . For since there is envy and strife among you, are you not fleshly and living like unbelievers?
          Last edited by Geert van den Bos; 11-16-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

who were you on the old theologyweb site?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Sylvius.

Concerning the rich for whom it is less easy to enter the kingdom of God Mark 4:18-19 did say already:

And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, and the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

We are ever dwelling on the threshold

Comment

Naww Sparky, its just an old nutjob
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks for asking that question.

Comment

There is so much wrong with his posts it is hard to know where to begin. He just makes up stuff out of whole cloth.

Comment

There is so much wrong with his posts it is hard to know where to begin. He just makes up stuff out of whole cloth.
                      Maybe he's related to mickiel.

Comment

Or, let's play around with words from different languages and act like if it looks similar, the words mean the same ting, even if I don't know what they really mean" That game?
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Mark 4:19,

καὶ αἱ μέριμναι τοῦ αἰῶνος καὶ ἡ ἀπάτη τοῦ πλούτου καὶ αἱ περὶ τὰ λοιπὰ ἐπιθυμίαι εἰσπορευόμεναι συμπνίγουσιν τὸν λόγον, καὶ ἄκαρπος γίνεται.

and the cares of life, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things, entering in, choke the word, and it becomes barren.

συμπνίγω = choke

πνίγω is derived from πνέω to breathe, to blow

like πνεῦμα = spirit, wind, breath.

so : συμπνίγω = choke = take away breath.

πνευματικός = spiritual

Solid food is just for the spiritual (1 Corinthians 3:1-3)

"gamal" as a letter is solid food (The letters form the body of the word).

cf. http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/artic...d-Paradise.htm
                          Rabbi Akiva said to his students, "When you come to the place of pure marble stones, do not say, 'Water! Water!' lest you place yourselves in danger, for it is said, 'He who speaks untruths shall not stand before My eyes.'
                          Last edited by Geert van den Bos; 01-20-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

more nonsense. Just lay off the drugs slyvius.

Comment

more nonsense. Just lay off the drugs slyvius.
                              Detoxification is kind of weaning, it is a process, a way. The camel, the ship of the desert, brings you from out of Egyptian slavery into the promised land.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X