Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

By his wounds we are healed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By his wounds we are healed...

In 1 Peter 2:24 the Greek is clear, "by [his] wound you are healed", similar to the Septuagint of Isaiah 53:5. But the Hebrew seems to say literally "by his wound he is healed to us" (וּבַחֲבֻרָתֹ֖ו נִרְפָּא־לָֽנוּ

) So what am I missing? How do we get from the Hebrew to the Greek (and English)?

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

I think I found a hint in Young's Literal Translation: "The chastisement of our peace [is] on him, And by his bruise there is healing to us." (Isa. 53:5, YLT) Or even more literally, "By his wound he|it was healed for us." (The Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear) Choosing "it was healed" here for נִרְפָּא, the meaning is clear in the Hebrew too.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X