Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John 14:5

Text: (NA27):
    Λέγει αὐτῷ Θωμᾶς· κύριε, οὐκ οἴδαμεν ποῦ ὑπάγεις· πῶς δυνάμεθα τὴν ὁδὸν εἰδέναι;

Transliteration (Accordance):
    Legei autō̧ Thōmas; kyrie, ouk oidamen pou hypageis; pōs dynametha tēn hodon eidenai?

Translation (NRSV):
    Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    ποῦ : as indirect interrogative where.
    εἰδέναι : infinitive of know.

Comment

Moderator's notice:

Please remember to observe the stipulations set by the OP in this thread and any others in this section. Extraneous posts are liable to be removed.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

John I am so sorry for Rabinovich's comments-please know that I and many many others find your work invaluable
        E.
        The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Many thanks for the much appreciated moderator's notice and owner's comment above.

Comment

John 14:6

λέγει αὐτῷ [ὁ] Ἰησοῦς· ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή· οὐδεὶς ἔρχεται πρὸς τὸν πατέρα εἰ μὴ δι᾿ ἐμοῦ.

legei autō̧ [ho] Iēsous; egō eimi hē hodos kai hē alētheia kai hē zōē; oudeis erchetai pros ton patera ei mē di’ emou.

Translation (NRSV):
            Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            : the pre-eminent, article with predicate.
            εἰ μή : except.
            διά: through, by.

Comment

John 14:7

εἰ ἐγνώκατέ με, καὶ τὸν πατέρα μου γνώσεσθε. καὶ ἀπ᾿ ἄρτι γινώσκετε αὐτὸν καὶ ἑωράκατε αὐτόν.

ei egnōkate me, kai ton patera mou gnōsesthe. kai ap’ arti ginōskete auton kai heōrakate auton.

Translation (NRSV):
              If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              ἐγνώκατε : perfect of γινώσκω, the perfect expresses knowledge attained (cf perfect οἶδα) you know.
              γνώσεσθε : future of γινώσκω know.
              ἀπ᾿ ἄρτι : already now cf 13:19.
              ἑωράκατε : perfect of ὁράω see.

Comment

John 14:8

Λέγει αὐτῷ Φίλιππος· κύριε, δεῖξον ἡμῖν τὸν πατέρα, καὶ ἀρκεῖ ἡμῖν.

Legei autō̧ Philippos; kyrie, deixon hēmin ton patera, kai arkei hēmin.

Translation (NRSV):
                Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                δεῖξον : aorist imperative of δείκνυμι show.
                ἀρκεῖ : it is enough ; impersonal use of ἀρκέω suffice.

Comment

John 14:9

λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· τοσούτῳ χρόνῳ μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν εἰμι καὶ οὐκ ἔγνωκάς με, Φίλιππε; ὁ ἑωρακὼς ἐμὲ ἑώρακεν τὸν πατέρα· πῶς σὺ λέγεις· δεῖξον ἡμῖν τὸν πατέρα;

legei autō̧ ho Iēsous; tosoutō̧ chronō̧ meth’ hymōn eimi kai ouk egnōkas me, Philippe? ho heōrakōs eme heōraken ton patera; pōs sy legeis; deixon hēmin ton patera?

Translation (WEB = revised ASV):
                  Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you such a long time, and do you not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father. How do you say, ‘Show us the Father?’

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  τοσοῦτος : so great ; of time, so long.
                  χρόνος : time, dative (for accusative) of extent.
                  εἰμί : English idiom calls for I have been.
                  ἔγνωκας : perfect of γινώσκω know.
                  ἑωρακώς : perfect participle of ὁράω see.

Comment

John 14:10

οὐ πιστεύεις ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐν τῷ πατρὶ καὶ ὁ πατὴρ ἐν ἐμοί ἐστιν; τὰ ῥήματα ἃ ἐγὼ λέγω ὑμῖν ἀπ᾿ ἐμαυτοῦ οὐ λαλῶ, ὁ δὲ πατήρ ἐν ἐμοὶ μένων ποιεῖ τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ.

ou pisteueis hoti egō en tō̧ patri kai ho patēr en emoi estin? ta rhēmata ha egō legō hymin ap’ emautou ou lalō, ho de patēr en emoi menōn poiei ta erga autou.

Translation (NRSV):
                    Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    ῥῆμα : word.
                    ἐμαυτοῦ : reflexive pronoun of the first person, ἀπ᾿ ἐμαυτοῦ of myself, on my own initiative 7:17, 28; 8:28.
                    μένων : participle of μένω dwell.

Comment

John 14:11

πιστεύετέ μοι ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐν τῷ πατρὶ καὶ ὁ πατήρ ἐν ἐμοί· εἰ δὲ μή, διὰ τὰ ἔργα αὐτὰ πιστεύετε.

pisteuete moi hoti egō en tō̧ patri kai ho patēr en emoi; ei de mē, dia ta erga auta pisteuete.

Translation (NRSV):
                      Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      πιστεύετε : imperative of πιστεύω ; πιστεύετέ μοι believe me!
                      ἐγὼ ἐν τῷ πατρί : (sc. εἰμί).
                      τὸ ἔργον αὐτό : the work itself.

Comment

John 14:12

Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ τὰ ἔργα ἃ ἐγὼ ποιῶ κἀκεῖνος ποιήσει καὶ μείζονα τούτων ποιήσει, ὅτι ἐγὼ πρὸς τὸν πατέρα πορεύομαι·

Amēn amēn legō hymin, ho pisteuōn eis eme ta erga ha egō poiō kakeinos poiēsei kai meizona toutōn poiēsei, hoti egō pros ton patera poreuomai;

Translation (NRSV):
                        Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                        πιστεύων : participle, ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμέ one who believes in me.
                        κἀκεῖνος = καὶ ἐκεῖνος also that one.
                        ποιήσει : future of ποιέω do.
                        μείζων -ζονος : (comparative of μέγας great) greater, neuter plural greater things.

Comment

John 14:13

καὶ ὅ τι ἂν αἰτήσητε ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου τοῦτο ποιήσω, ἵνα δοξασθῇ ὁ πατὴρ ἐν τῷ υἱῷ.

kai ho ti an aitēsēte en tō̧ onomati mou touto poiēsō, hina doxasthȩ̄ ho patēr en tō̧ huiō̧.

Translation (NRSV):
                          I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                          ὅ τι ἄν : with subjunctive, whatever.
                          αἰτήσητε : aorist subjunctive of αἰτέω ask.
                          ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου : in my name, i.e. in union with/in the spirit of Jesus.
                          δοξασθῇ : aorist passive subjunctive of δοξάζω glorify.

Comment

John 14:14

ἐάν τι αἰτήσητέ με ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου ἐγὼ ποιήσω.

ean ti aitēsēte me en tō̧ onomati mou egō poiēsō.

Translation (NRSV):
                            If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                            με : me [[variant omit : other manuscripts omit whole verse]].

Comment

John 14:15

Ἐὰν ἀγαπᾶτέ με, τὰς ἐντολὰς τὰς ἐμὰς τηρήσετε·

Ean agapate me, tas entolas tas emas tērēsete;

Translation (NRSV):
                              If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                              ἀγαπᾶτε : subjunctive (same as indicative).
                              τηρήσετε : future of τηρέω keep.

Comment

John 14:16

κἀγὼ ἐρωτήσω τὸν πατέρα καὶ ἄλλον παράκλητον δώσει ὑμῖν, ἵνα μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ᾖ

kagō erōtēsō ton patera kai allon paraklēton dōsei hymin, hina meth’ hymōn eis ton aiōna ȩ̄

Translation (NRSV):
                                And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                                κἀγώ = καί ἐγώ and I.
                                ἐρωτήσω : future of ἐρωτάω ask.
                                παράκλητος : (< παρα-καλέω) advocate ; helper ; comforter.
                                δώσει : future of δίδωμι give.
                                εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα : for ever.
                                : subjunctive of εἰμί be.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X