Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John 13:28

Text: (NA27):
    τοῦτο [δὲ] οὐδεὶς ἔγνω τῶν ἀνακειμένων πρὸς τί εἶπεν αὐτῷ·

Transliteration (Accordance):
    touto [de] oudeis egnō tōn anakeimenōn pros ti eipen autō̧;

Translation (TNIV):
    But no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    τοῦτο : this, referring to what follows.
    ἔγνω : aorist 3rd singular of γινώσκω know.
    ἀνακειμένων : participle of ἀνάκειμαι recline at table.
    πρὸς τί : "with reference to what", why.

Comment

John 13:29

τινὲς γὰρ ἐδόκουν, ἐπεὶ τὸ γλωσσόκομον εἶχεν Ἰούδας, ὅτι λέγει αὐτῷ [ὁ] Ἰησοῦς· ἀγόρασον ὧν χρείαν ἔχομεν εἰς τὴν ἑορτήν, ἢ τοῖς πτωχοῖς ἵνα τι δῷ.

tines gar edokoun, epei to glōssokomon eichen Ioudas, hoti legei autō̧ [ho] Iēsous; agorason hōn chreian echomen eis tēn heortēn, ē tois ptōchois hina ti dō̧.

Translation (TNIV):
      Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the Festival, or to give something to the poor.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
      ἐδόκουν : imperfect of δοκέω think, suppose.
      ἐπεί : since, as.
      γλωσσόκομον : money box, chest.
      εἶχεν : imperfect of ἔχω have.
      ὅτι : that, taking the place of infinitive after a verb of opinion (δοκέω).
      ἀγόρασον : aorist imperative of ἀγοράζω (< ἀγορά market place) buy.
      ὧν χρείαν ἔχομεν : "the things of which we have need", what we need.
      εἰς : in view of, for.
      ἑορτή : feast, festival.
      πτωχός : poor, plural the poor.
      δῷ : aorist subjunctive 3rd singular of δίδωμι give:
      ἢ ἵνα τι δῷ : or that he should/was to give something.

Comment

John 13:30

λαβὼν οὖν τὸ ψωμίον ἐκεῖνος ἐξῆλθεν εὐθύς. ἦν δὲ νύξ.

labōn oun to psōmion ekeinos exēlthen euthys. ēn de nyx.

Translation (NRSV):
        So, after receiving the piece of bread, he immediately went out. And it was night.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
        λαβών : aorist participle of λαμβάνω receive.
        ψωμίον : morsel of food, bit of bread.

Comment

John 13:31

Ὅτε οὖν ἐξῆλθεν, λέγει Ἰησοῦς· νῦν ἐδοξάσθη ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἐδοξάσθη ἐν αὐτῷ·

Hote oun exēlthen, legei Iēsous; nyn edoxasthē ho huios tou anthrōpou kai ho theos edoxasthē en autō̧;

Translation (NRSV):
          When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
          ἐδοξάσθη : aorist passive of δοξάζω glorify ; from the outset the Passion and Resurrection are regarded as completed (aorist).

Comment

John 13:32

[εἰ ὁ θεὸς ἐδοξάσθη ἐν αὐτῷ] καὶ ὁ θεὸς δοξάσει αὐτὸν ἐν αὐτῷ, καὶ εὐθὺς δοξάσει αὐτόν.

[ei ho theos edoxasthē en autō̧] kai ho theos doxasei auton en autō̧, kai euthys doxasei auton.

Translation (NRSV):
            If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            καί : also.
            αὐτῷ : (2nd time) refers to the Father, himself.
            δοξάσει : future of δοξάζω glorify.

Comment

John 13:33

τεκνία, ἔτι μικρὸν μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν εἰμι· ζητήσετέ με, καὶ καθὼς εἶπον τοῖς Ἰουδαίοις ὅτι ὅπου ἐγὼ ὑπάγω ὑμεῖς οὐ δύνασθε ἐλθεῖν, καὶ ὑμῖν λέγω ἄρτι.

teknia, eti mikron meth’ hymōn eimi; zētēsete me, kai kathōs eipon tois Ioudaiois hoti hopou egō hypagō hymeis ou dynasthe elthein, kai hymin legō arti.

Translation (NRSV):
              Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.’

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              τεκνίον : (diminutive of τέκνον child) (little) child.
              ἔτι : pertaining to continuance, yet, still.
              μικρόν : (neuter of μικρός small) adverbial, a little.
              ζητήσετε : future of ζητέω seek.
              ὅτι = "...
              ὅπου : where.
              ἐλθεῖν : aorist infinitive of ἔρχομαι come.
              καὶ ὑμῖν : to you too.
              ἄρτι : the immediate present, now.

Comment

John 13:34

Ἐντολὴν καινὴν δίδωμι ὑμῖν, ἵνα ἀγαπᾶτε ἀλλήλους, καθὼς ἠγάπησα ὑμᾶς ἵνα καὶ ὑμεῖς ἀγαπᾶτε ἀλλήλους.

Entolēn kainēn didōmi hymin, hina agapate allēlous, kathōs ēgapēsa hymas hina kai hymeis agapate allēlous.

Translation (NRSV):
                I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                καινός : new.
                ἵνα : for infinitive, or with imperatival force, you must...
                ἀγαπᾶτε : subjunctive (same form as indicative).
                ἠγάπησα : aorist of ἀγαπάω love.

Comment

John 13:35

ἐν τούτῳ γνώσονται πάντες ὅτι ἐμοὶ μαθηταί ἐστε, ἐὰν ἀγάπην ἔχητε ἐν ἀλλήλοις.

en toutō̧ gnōsontai pantes hoti emoi mathētai este, ean agapēn echēte en allēlois.

Translation (WEB = revised ASV):
                  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  ἐν : by, instrumental.
                  τούτο : referring to what follows.
                  γνώσονται : future of γινώσκω know.
                  ἐμοὶ ... ἐστε : (you are ... to me) you are my.
                  ἔχητε : subjunctive of ἔχω have.
                  ἐν ἀλλήλοις : between one another.

Comment

John 13:36

Λέγει αὐτῷ Σίμων Πέτρος· κύριε, ποῦ ὑπάγεις; ἀπεκρίθη [αὐτῷ] Ἰησοῦς· ὅπου ὑπάγω οὐ δύνασαί μοι νῦν ἀκολουθῆσαι, ἀκολουθήσεις δὲ ὕστερον.

Legei autō̧ Simōn Petros; kyrie, pou hypageis? apekrithē [autō̧] Iēsous; hopou hypagō ou dynasai moi nyn akolouthēsai, akolouthēseis de hysteron.

Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered, “Where I am going, you can’t follow now, but you will follow afterwards.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    ποῦ; : where?
                    ἀπεκρίθη : aorist deponent ἀποκρίνομαι answer.
                    δύνασαί : 2nd singular of δύναμαι can, be able to.
                    ἀκολουθῆσαι : aorist infinitive of ἀκολουθέω follow.
                    ἀκολουθήσεις : future of ἀκολουθέω.
                    ὕστερον : later.

Comment

John 13:37

λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Πέτρος· κύριε, διὰ τί οὐ δύναμαί σοι ἀκολουθῆσαι ἄρτι; τὴν ψυχήν μου ὑπὲρ σοῦ θήσω.

legei autō̧ ho Petros; kyrie, dia ti ou dynamai soi akolouthēsai arti? tēn psychēn mou hyper sou thēsō.

Peter said to him, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      ψυχή : life.
                      θήσω : future of τίθημι lay down ; "The semantic boundaries of this multivalent verb are quite flexible" (BDAG).

Comment

John 13:38

ἀποκρίνεται Ἰησοῦς· τὴν ψυχήν σου ὑπὲρ ἐμοῦ θήσεις; ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω σοι, οὐ μὴ ἀλέκτωρ φωνήσῃ ἕως οὗ ἀρνήσῃ με τρίς.

apokrinetai Iēsous; tēn psychēn sou hyper emou thēseis? amēn amēn legō soi, ou mē alektōr phōnēsȩ̄ heōs hou arnēsȩ̄ me tris.

Jesus answered him, “Will you lay down your life for me? Most assuredly I tell you, the rooster won’t crow until you have denied me three times.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                        ψυχή : with aorist subjunctive emphatic negative referring to the future.
                        ἀλέκτωρ, -ορος, ὁ : cock, rooster.
                        φωνήσῃ : aorist subjunctive of φωνέω call; intransitive give voice, crow.
                        ἕως οὗ : until, before, arising from ἕως τοῦ χρόνου ῷ by attraction of the relative.
                        ἀρνήσῃ : aorist subjunctive of ἀρνέομαι deny, disown.
                        τρίς : three times.

Comment

John 14:1

Μὴ ταρασσέσθω ὑμῶν ἡ καρδία· πιστεύετε εἰς τὸν θεὸν καὶ εἰς ἐμὲ πιστεύετε.

Mē tarassesthō hymōn hē kardia; pisteuete eis ton theon kai eis eme pisteuete.

“Don’t let your heart be troubled. Believe in God. Believe also in me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                          ταρασσέσθω : passive imperative 3rd singular of ταράσσω disturb, trouble.
                          πιστεύετε : (twice) both imperative, or indicative followed by imperative.

Comment

John 14:2

ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ τοῦ πατρός μου μοναὶ πολλαί εἰσιν· εἰ δὲ μή, εἶπον ἂν ὑμῖν ὅτι πορεύομαι ἑτοιμάσαι τόπον ὑμῖν;

en tȩ̄ oikia̧ tou patros mou monai pollai eisin; ei de mē, eipon an hymin hoti poreuomai hetoimasai topon hymin?

Translation (TNIV):
                            My Father’s house has plenty of room; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                            μονή : (< μένω remain, stay) room, abode.
                            εἰ δὲ μή : if not.
                            εἶπον ἄν : "unreal" apodosis, I would have told.
                            ὅτι : because, for.
                            ἑτοιμάσαι : aorist infinitive of ἑτοιμάζω prepare.

Comment

John 14:3

καὶ ἐὰν πορευθῶ καὶ ἑτοιμάσω τόπον ὑμῖν, πάλιν ἔρχομαι καὶ παραλήμψομαι ὑμᾶς πρὸς ἐμαυτόν, ἵνα ὅπου εἰμὶ ἐγὼ καὶ ὑμεῖς ἦτε.

kai ean poreuthō kai hetoimasō topon hymin, palin erchomai kai paralēmpsomai hymas pros emauton, hina hopou eimi egō kai hymeis ēte.

Translation (NRSV):
                              And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                              ἐάν : (= εἰ ἄν if) where one would expect ὅταν at the time that, whenever, when.
                              πορευθῶ : aorist subjunctive deponent πορεύομαι go.
                              καί : final, to prepare.
                              ἑτοιμάσω : aorist subjunctive of ἑτοιμάζω prepare.
                              ἔρχομαι : I shall come, future sense frequent in messianic contexts.
                              παραλήμψομαι : future of παραλαμβάνομαι receive, middle to oneself.
                              ἐμαυτόν : myself.
                              ἦτε : you may be, subjunctive of εἰμί.

Comment

John 14:4

καὶ ὅπου [ἐγὼ] ὑπάγω οἴδατε τὴν ὁδόν.

kai hopou [egō] hypagō oidate tēn hodon.

Translation (NRSV):
                                And you know the way to the place where I am going.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                                τὴν ὁδόν : the way [[variant: καὶ τὴν ὁδὸν οἴδατε]].*
                                *Metzger's A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament: 14.4 τὴν ὁδόν {B} The syntactical harshness of the shorter reading ὅπου ἐγὼ ὑπάγω οἴδατε τὴν ὁδόν (P66c ℵ B C* L W X 33 1071 ita, r1vid copbo eth) seems to invite amelioration. Since Thomas in ver. 5 distinguishes between “where” and “the way,” copyists improved ver. 4 by expanding so as to read ὅπου ἐγὼ ὑπάγω οἴδατε καὶ τὴν ὁδὸν οἴδατε.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X