Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John 13:13

Text: (NA27):
    ὑμεῖς φωνεῖτέ με· ὁ διδάσκαλος, καί· ὁ κύριος, καὶ καλῶς λέγετε· εἰμὶ γάρ.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    hymeis phōneite me; ho didaskalos, kai; ho kyrios, kai kalōs legete; eimi gar.

Translation (TNIV):
    “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    φωνέω : call.
    διδάσκαλος : teacher, master ; ὁ διδάσκαλος, καί ὁ κύριος article with nominative standing for vocative.
    καλῶς : well, καλῶς λέγετε say well implying (as in English) "say with truth".

Comment

John 13:14

εἰ οὖν ἐγὼ ἔνιψα ὑμῶν τοὺς πόδας ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ διδάσκαλος, καὶ ὑμεῖς ὀφείλετε ἀλλήλων νίπτειν τοὺς πόδας·

ei oun egō enipsa hymōn tous podas ho kyrios kai ho didaskalos, kai hymeis opheilete allēlōn niptein tous podas;

Translation (TNIV):
      Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
      εἰ : if, real condition.
      ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ διδάσκαλος : apposition to ἐγώ.
      ὀφείλω : ought.
      ἀλλήλων : genitive one another's.
      νίπτειν : infinitive of νίπτω wash.
      Last edited by John Reece; 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

John 13:15

ὑπόδειγμα γὰρ ἔδωκα ὑμῖν ἵνα καθὼς ἐγὼ ἐποίησα ὑμῖν καὶ ὑμεῖς ποιῆτε.

hypodeigma gar edōka hymin hina kathōs egō epoiēsa hymin kai hymeis poiēte.

Translation (TNIV):
        I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
        ὑπόδειγμα : (< ὑποδείκνυμι point out) sign, in Hellenistic Greek example.
        ἔδωκα : aorist of δίδωμι give.
        ἐποίησα : aorist of ποιέω do.
        ποιῆτε : subjunctive of ποιέω.

Comment

John 13:16

ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, οὐκ ἔστιν δοῦλος μείζων τοῦ κυρίου αὐτοῦ οὐδὲ ἀπόστολος μείζων τοῦ πέμψαντος αὐτόν.

amēn amēn legō hymin, ouk estin doulos meizōn tou kyriou autou oude apostolos meizōn tou pempsantos auton.

Translation (ESV):
          Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
          μείζων : (comparative of μέγας) greater.
          κυρίου : genitive of comparison, than his master.
          τοῦ πέμψαντος : than the one who sent, aorist participle genitive of πέμπω.

Comment

John 13:17

εἰ ταῦτα οἴδατε, μακάριοί ἐστε ἐὰν ποιῆτε αὐτά.

ei tauta oidate, makarioi este ean poiēte auta.

Translation (NRSV):
            If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            εἰ οἴδατε : indicative, if in fact you know (they had just been told).
            μακάριος : happy, blessed.
            ἐὰν ποιῆτε : subjunctive, in future as yet uncertain.

Comment

John 13:18

Οὐ περὶ πάντων ὑμῶν λέγω· ἐγὼ οἶδα τίνας ἐξελεξάμην· ἀλλ᾿ ἵνα ἡ γραφὴ πληρωθῇ· ὁ τρώγων μου τὸν ἄρτον ἐπῆρεν ἐπ᾿ ἐμὲ τὴν πτέρναν αὐτοῦ.

Ou peri pantōn hymōn legō; egō oida tinas exelexamēn; all’ hina hē graphē plērōthȩ̄; ho trōgōn mou ton arton epēren ep’ eme tēn pternan autou.

Translation (NRSV):
              I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But it is to fulfill the scripture, ‘The one who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              ἐξελεξάμην : aorist of ἐκλέγομαι pick out (for oneself), choose.
              ἵνα : absolute with subjunctive as imperative ἵνα ... πληρωθῇ must be fulfilled.
              ἡ γραφὴ : Scripture.
              πληρωθῇ : aorist passive subjunctive of πληρόω fulfill.
              τρώγων : participle of τρώγω eat (originally, crunch).
              ἐπῆρεν : aorist of ἐπαίρω lift up.
              ἐπί : with accusative sometimes against.
              πτέρνα : heel

Comment

Jn 13:19

ἀπ᾿ ἄρτι λέγω ὑμῖν πρὸ τοῦ γενέσθαι, ἵνα πιστεύσητε ὅταν γένηται ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι.

ap’ arti legō hymin pro tou genesthai, hina pisteusēte hotan genētai hoti egō eimi.

Translation (NRSV):
                I tell you this now, before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am he.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                ἀπ᾿ ἄρτι : from now on ; here, already now.
                πρὸ τοῦ γενέσθαι : (aorist infinitive of γίνομαι) before it happens, prior to the event.
                πιστεύσητε : aorist subjunctive of πιστεύω believe.
                γένηται : aorist subjunctive of γίνομαι.
                ἐγώ εἰμι : I am (he).

Comment

Jn 13:20

ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ὁ λαμβάνων ἄν τινα πέμψω ἐμὲ λαμβάνει, ὁ δὲ ἐμὲ λαμβάνων λαμβάνει τὸν πέμψαντά με.

amēn amēn legō hymin, ho lambanōn an tina pempsō eme lambanei, ho de eme lambanōn lambanei ton pempsanta me.

Translation (ESV):
                  Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  λαμβάνων : participle of λαμβάνω receive.
                  ἄν = ἐάν if.
                  πέμψω : aorist subjunctive of πέμπω send ; "whoever receives (him) if I send someone, receives me"; i.e. whoever receives the one I send receives me.
                  πέμψαντα : aorist participle accusative singular masculine of πέμπω.

Comment

Jn 13:21

Ταῦτα εἰπὼν [ὁ] Ἰησοῦς ἐταράχθη τῷ πνεύματι καὶ ἐμαρτύρησεν καὶ εἶπεν· ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι εἷς ἐξ ὑμῶν παραδώσει με.

Tauta eipōn [ho] Iēsous etarachthē tō̧ pneumati kai emartyrēsen kai eipen; amēn amēn legō hymin hoti heis ex hymōn paradōsei me.

Translation (ESV):
                    After saying these things, Jesus was troubled in his spirit, and testified, “Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    εἰπών : aorist participle of λέγω say.
                    ἐταράχθη : aorist passive of ταράσσω disturb ; passive be troubled.
                    τῷ πνεύματι : in spirit dative (for accusative) of respect.
                    ἐμαρτύρησεν : aorist of μαρτυρέω, in Semitic use affirm, declare solemnly.
                    παραδώσει : future of παραδίδωμι betray.

Comment

Jn 13:22

ἔβλεπον εἰς ἀλλήλους οἱ μαθηταὶ ἀπορούμενοι περὶ τίνος λέγει.

eblepon eis allēlous hoi mathētai aporoumenoi peri tinos legei.

Translation (TNIV):
                      His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      ἔβλεπον : imperfect of βλέπω see, look.
                      εἰς ἀλλήλους : at each other.
                      ἀπορούμενοι : middle participle of ἀπορέω (< ἀ- + πείρω make a way through) especially in middle be at a loss, be in doubt.

Comment

John 13:23

ἦν ἀνακείμενος εἷς ἐκ τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν τῷ κόλπῳ τοῦ Ἰησοῦ, ὃν ἠγάπα ὁ Ἰησοῦς.

ēn anakeimenos heis ek tōn mathētōn autou en tō̧ kolpō̧ tou Iēsou, hon ēgapa ho Iēsous.

Translation (TNIV):
                        One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                        ἀνακείμενος : participle of ἀνάκειμαι recline at table.
                        κόλπος : singular and plural bosom, ἐν τῷ κόλπῳ next to, reclining on Jesus' right at the table, the disciple could lean against him and speak without being overheard.
                        ἠγάπα : imperfect of ἀγαπάω love.

Comment

John 13:24

νεύει οὖν τούτῳ Σίμων Πέτρος πυθέσθαι τίς ἂν εἴη περὶ οὗ λέγει.

neuei oun toutō̧ Simōn Petros pythesthai tis an eiē peri hou legei.

Translation (TNIV):
                          Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, “Ask him which one he means.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                          νεύω : nod, make a sign with the head.
                          τούτῳ : to him (the beloved disciple).
                          πυθέσθαι : aorist infinitive of πυνθάνομαι inquire, ask.
                          ἂν εἴη : potential optative of εἰμί who it might/could be.

Comment

John 13:25

ἀναπεσὼν οὖν ἐκεῖνος οὕτως ἐπὶ τὸ στῆθος τοῦ Ἰησοῦ λέγει αὐτῷ· κύριε, τίς ἐστιν;

anapesōn oun ekeinos houtōs epi to stēthos tou Iēsou legei autō̧; kyrie, tis estin?

Translation (TNIV):
                            Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, “Lord, who is it?”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                            ἀναπεσὼν : aorist participle of ἀναπίπτω, translate leant back ... and said (historic present).
                            οὕτως : accordingly, so.
                            ἐπί : with accusative on, against in local sense.
                            στῆθος : breast.

Comment

John 13:26

ἀποκρίνεται [ὁ] Ἰησοῦς· ἐκεῖνός ἐστιν ᾧ ἐγὼ βάψω τὸ ψωμίον καὶ δώσω αὐτῷ. βάψας οὖν τὸ ψωμίον [λαμβάνει καὶ] δίδωσιν Ἰούδᾳ Σίμωνος Ἰσκαριώτου.

apokrinetai [ho] Iēsous; ekeinos estin ō̧h egō bapsō to psōmion kai dōsō autō̧. bapsas oun to psōmion [lambanei kai] didōsin Iouda̧ Simōnos Iskariōtou.

Translation (TNIV):
                              Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                              : to whom.
                              βάψω : future of βάπτω dip; Semitic coordinate for subordinate, literally to who I shall dip and give.
                              ψωμίον : morsel of food, bit of bread.
                              δώσω : future of δίδωμι give.
                              αὐτῷ : pleonastic after ᾧ, Semitic influence.
                              βάψας : aorist participle of βάπτω.
                              λαμβάνει : (if it is to be read) Semitic pleonasm, one who gives "takes and gives".

Comment

John 13:27

καὶ μετὰ τὸ ψωμίον τότε εἰσῆλθεν εἰς ἐκεῖνον ὁ σατανᾶς. λέγει οὖν αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· ὃ ποιεῖς ποίησον τάχιον.

kai meta to psōmion tote eisēlthen eis ekeinon ho satanas. legei oun autō̧ ho Iēsous; ho poieis poiēson tachion.

Translation (TNIV):
                                As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                                σατανᾶς : Hebrew enemy, Satan.
                                ὃ ποιεῖς : what you (have to or about to do.
                                ποίησον : aorist imperative of ποιέω do.
                                τάχιον : comparative adverb (ταχύς quick) here for positive, quickly.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X