Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John 17:17

Text: (NA27):
    ἁγίασον αὐτοὺς ἐν τῇ ἀληθείᾳ· ὁ λόγος ὁ σὸς ἀλήθεια ἐστιν.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    hagiason autous en tȩ̄ alētheia̧; ho logos ho sos alētheia estin.

Translation (NRSV):
    Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    ἁγίασον : aorist imperative of ἁγιάζω (withdraw from the profane and) consecrate to God, make holy.
    ἐν τῇ ἀληθείᾳ : through truth, in union with truth.

Comment

• John 17:18

καθὼς ἐμὲ ἀπέστειλας εἰς τὸν κόσμον, κἀγὼ ἀπέστειλα αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν κόσμον·

kathōs eme apesteilas eis ton kosmon, kagō apesteila autous eis ton kosmon;

Translation (NRSV):
      As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
      ἀπέστειλας : aorist of ἀποστέλλω send.

Comment

• John 17:19

καὶ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἐγὼ ἁγιάζω ἐμαυτόν, ἵνα ὦσιν καὶ αὐτοὶ ἡγιασμένοι ἐν ἀληθείᾳ.

kai hyper autōn egō hagiazō emauton, hina ōsin kai autoi hēgiasmenoi en alētheia̧.

Translation (NRSV):
        And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
        ἁγιάζω : here consecrate = immolate.
        ὦσιν : subjunctive of εἰμί be.
        ἵνα ὦσιν καὶ αὐτοί : that they too may be.
        ἡγιασμένοι : perfect passive participle made (and kept ― perfect) holy for their God=given task.
        ἐν ἀληθείᾳ : either = ἀληθῶς [adverb, corresponding to what is really so, truly, in truth, really, actually] or ἐν τῇ ἀληθείᾳ through truth, in union with truth.

Comment

• John 17:20

Οὐ περὶ τούτων δὲ ἐρωτῶ μόνον, ἀλλὰ καὶ περὶ τῶν πιστευόντων διὰ τοῦ λόγου αὐτῶν εἰς ἐμέ

Ou peri toutōn de erōtō monon, alla kai peri tōn pisteuontōn dia tou logou autōn eis eme

Translation (NRSV):
          I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
          τῶν πιστευόντων : who will believe, present participle standing for future participle ; to be taken with εἰς ἐμέ.

Comment

• John 17:21

ἵνα πάντες ἓν ὦσιν, καθὼς σύ, πάτερ, ἐν ἐμοὶ κἀγὼ ἐν σοί, ἵνα καὶ αὐτοὶ ἐν ἡμῖν ὦσιν, ἵνα ὁ κόσμος πιστεύῃ ὅτι σύ με ἀπέστειλας.

hina pantes hen ōsin, kathōs sy, pater, en emoi kagō en soi, hina kai autoi en hēmin ōsin, hina ho kosmos pisteuȩ̄ hoti sy me apesteilas.

Translation (NRSV):
            that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            ἓν : neuter of εἷς, i.e. a unity (masculine would mean "one person").
            ὦσιν : subjunctive of εἰμί be.
            πάτερ : vocative of πατήρ Father.
            πιστεύῃ : subjunctive of πιστεύω believe.

Comment

• John 17:22

κἀγὼ τὴν δόξαν ἣν δέδωκάς μοι δέδωκα αὐτοῖς, ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν καθὼς ἡμεῖς ἕν

kagō tēn doxan hēn dedōkas moi dedōka autois, hina ōsin hen kathōs hēmeis hen

Translation (NRSV):
              The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one,

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              δόξα : glory ; in this context = τὸ ὄνομα, ὁ λόγος τοῦ θεοῦ, ἡ ἀλήθεια.

Comment

• John 17:23

ἐγὼ ἐν αὐτοῖς καὶ σὺ ἐν ἐμοί, ἵνα ὦσιν τετελειωμένοι εἰς ἕν, ἵνα γινώσκῃ ὁ κόσμος ὅτι σύ με ἀπέστειλας καὶ ἠγάπησας αὐτοὺς καθὼς ἐμὲ ἠγάπησας.

egō en autois kai sy en emoi, hina ōsin teteleiōmenoi eis hen, hina ginōskȩ̄ ho kosmos hoti sy me apesteilas kai ēgapēsas autous kathōs eme ēgapēsas.

Translation (NRSV):
                I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                τετελειωμένοι : perfect passive participle of τελειόω complete ; τετελειωμένοι εἰς ἕν, ἵνα literally "perfected into one that...", perfectly one, so that.
                γινώσκῃ : subjunctive (present, enduring for all time).
                ἠγάπησας : aorist of ἀγαπάω.

Comment

• John 17:24

Πάτερ, ὃ δέδωκάς μοι, θέλω ἵνα ὅπου εἰμὶ ἐγὼ κἀκεῖνοι ὦσιν μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ, ἵνα θεωρῶσιν τὴν δόξαν τὴν ἐμήν, ἣν δέδωκάς μοι ὅτι ἠγάπησάς με πρὸ καταβολῆς κόσμου.

Pater, ho dedōkas moi, thelō hina hopou eimi egō kakeinoi ōsin met’ emou, hina theōrōsin tēn doxan tēn emēn, hēn dedōkas moi hoti ēgapēsas me pro katabolēs kosmou.

Translation (NRSV):
                  Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  ὃ δέδωκάς μοι : anticipated subject of the ἵνα clause resumed there by κἀκεῖνοι (= καὶ ἐκεῖοι).
                  ἵνα : (second time) for infinitive.
                  θεωρῶσιν : subjunctive of θεωρέω see.
                  καταβολή : (< κατά + βάλλω) foundation.

Comment

• John 17:25

πάτερ δίκαιε, καὶ ὁ κόσμος σε οὐκ ἔγνω, ἐγὼ δέ σε ἔγνων, καὶ οὗτοι ἔγνωσαν ὅτι σύ με ἀπέστειλας

pater dikaie, kai ho kosmos se ouk egnō, egō de se egnōn, kai houtoi egnōsan hoti sy me apesteilas

Translation (NRSV):
                    Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    πάτερ δίκαιε : vocative. The force of the first καί is not clear.
                    ἔγνω : aorist 3rd singular of γινώσκω know.
                    ἐγὼ δέ σε ἔγνων : but I have known you (constative aorist) a parenthesis, the implication heightening the gull of the world.

Comment

• John 17:26

καὶ ἐγνώρισα αὐτοῖς τὸ ὄνομά σου καὶ γνωρίσω, ἵνα ἡ ἀγάπη ἣν ἠγάπησάς με ἐν αὐτοῖς ᾖ κἀγὼ ἐν αὐτοῖς.

kai egnōrisa autois to onoma sou kai gnōrisō, hina hē agapē hēn ēgapēsas me en autois ȩ̄ kagō en autois.

Translation (NRSV):
                      I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      ἐγνώρισα : aorist of γνωρίζω make known.
                      γνωρίσω : future.
                      ἣν : supposes a cognate accusative ἀγάπην ἀγαπάω (like, e.g., φόβον φοβέομαι): the love with which you loved me.
                      : subjunctive of εἰμί (subject ἀγάπη).

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X