Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Blessed Are the Meek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blessed Are the Meek

The Greek word rendered "meek" in the relevant texts (LXX and NT) in this thread is πραϋς (praus), which in the LXX is used for עָנָו (ʿānāw) in Numbers 12:3 and Psalm 37:11.

Here is the entry for עָנָו (ʿānāw) in William A. Holladay's A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of The Old Testament (E. J. Brill and Eerdmans, 1971):
    עָנָו (ʿānāw): ... (one who understands himself to be) low, humble, gentle (before God): Numbers 12:3, often in Psalms.

The Bible presents two persons as models of what it means to be "meek" in the biblical sense: one in the OT and one in the NT.
    Numbers 12:3 (ESV): Now the man Moses was very meek [Hebrew עָנָו (ʿānāw); Greek πραϋς (praus)], more than all people who were on the face of the earth.

Matthew 11:29 (KJV): Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek [πραϋς (praus)] and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

When I consider the lives of Moses and Jesus, it seems to me that what they had in common that is expressed in the word πραϋς (praus) is that they were both sold out to God to do his will.
    Last edited by John Reece; 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
      The Greek word rendered "meek" in the relevant texts (LXX and NT) in this thread is πραϋς (praus), which in the LXX is used for עָנָו (ʿānāw) in Numbers 12:3 and Psalm 37:11.

Here is the entry for עָנָו (ʿānāw) in William A. Holladay's A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of The Old Testament (E. J. Brill and Eerdmans, 1971):
      עָנָו (ʿānāw): ... (one who understands himself to be) low, humble, gentle (before God): Numbers 12:3, often in Psalms.

The Bible presents two persons as models of what it means to be "meek" in the biblical sense: one in the OT and one in the NT.
      Numbers 12:3 (ESV): Now the man Moses was very meek [Hebrew עָנָו (ʿānāw); Greek πραϋς (praus)], more than all people who were on the face of the earth.

Matthew 11:29 (KJV): Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek [πραϋς (praus)] and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

When I consider the lives of Moses and Jesus, it seems to me that what they had in common that is expressed in the word πραϋς (praus) is that they were both sold out to God to do his will.

The meekness of Moses is said to find expression in "vayikra" (the first word of the book Leviticus), which in Torah-scrolls is written with a dimished letter "alef", intimating that Moses wanted to write "vayikkar", by thus saying that it all just came to him in a wet dream (nocturnal pollution).

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_...showrashi=true
      The expression וַיִּקָּר has the meaning of a coincidental happening, and also alludes to impurity. [See Deut. 23:11, regarding the expression מִקְרֵה לַיְלָה.]
      Where it says that Moses was very meek (more so than any person on the face of the earth) it follows Miriam's and Aaron's accusation that he had married (had slept with) a Cushite woman.

Might this have a parallel in Luke 7:39?

“If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.”

Comment

Moderator's notice:

John Reece requested no cabala-type posting in this thread. Please refrain from any further posts of this nature, and remember that this is a non-debate thread.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          The illustration I've heard - odd though it might be - comes from a demonstration on both the strength and agility of a Clydesdale horse. I think there's a video on youtube somewhere of this huge Clydesdale putting it's hoof down on an egg, rolling the egg, but not breaking it. "power under control". I've often wondered if that can actually be supported by the language.
          Hi, Porker, I mean Poker. A while back I was going to post something in response to your idea here, but I wanted to wait and see where John was going. And I am glad I waited as John's approach to the meekness of Moses is so very profound and the thread has a beauty and power all its own.

But, nonetheless, your Clydesdale example reminds me of the fact that the Greek word used here for meek, both as a noun and as a verb, is frequently used to speak of the taming of an animal. Xenophon uses it specifically of military horses that have been rigorously trained as a group for hunting and battle. Thus animals, when trained well, may seem docile enough at times, but they are by no means weak and retiring. It is still an animal with a raw wild power somewhere below the surface that is being directed for a specific purpose, even a violent purpose.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            Hi, Porker, I mean Poker. A while back I was going to post something in response to your idea here, but I wanted to wait and see where John was going. And I am glad I waited as John's approach to the meekness of Moses is so very profound and the thread has a beauty and power all its own.

But, nonetheless, your Clydesdale example reminds me of the fact that the Greek word used here for meek, both as a noun and as a verb, is frequently used to speak of the taming of an animal. Xenophon uses it specifically of military horses that have been rigorously trained as a group for hunting and battle. Thus animals, when trained well, may seem docile enough at times, but they are by no means weak and retiring. It is still an animal with a raw wild power somewhere below the surface that is being directed for a specific purpose, even a violent purpose.
            I'm glad I waited for that!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X