Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Commentary Thread) Ruceeglaelsktinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Commentary Thread) Ruceeglaelsktinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

Forum ate first attempt to post this Commentary Thread and wouldn't give it back...

You don't have to specify your additional Oaths that go beyond the general truce/parlay thing for the meeting if you don't want. You can select a color for your character to speak in. Please include any opening statements or questions in your first post if possible. If you do, separate them from everything above with a

horizontal line (bottom row, right-most button on the screen that the "Go Advanced" button takes you to.)

I'll probably be creating a Google Doc for the campaign information stuff, and WILL be creating GoogleSheets for the battlemaps (which you will all be expected to edit each time you take a turn, unless you set up otherwise with me in advance, for instance if your internet options change and you get blocked from that site by some overly-zealous firewall).

Game Thread

Recruiting Thread

EDIT: I'll also (re-)state that covering as many topics as possible, in as much depth as possible, rather than the small statements of most more focused discussions, especially verbal ones is something I believe to be helpful for this particular "debate" situation. And note the quote marks around "debate" because most forms of debate are entirely too surface level or based on swaying emotions for my tastes. Of course, if emotional statements, and/or taking one thing at a time are the only way you can contribute I will gladly welcome that much, especially if you clearly state your limitations in advance.
    Last edited by Draco Dei; 09-09-2015, 11:23 PM.

Gimme a second and I'll sticky the commentary thread for you.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Thank you kindly.

Comment

Definitely looking forward to getting started. I'll be posting in the Game Thread shortly.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

A few notes on various subjects:

And I just learned that it doesn't SEEM like these forums have a spoiler code... I've checked as best I can right now, and I thought I remembered there being one on the previous incarnation of these boards, but it seems I was mistaken. Guess I'll have to settle for setting the text color to white and letting people highlight stuff to read it... don't reply with quote to this message unless you want to see all of this.

If the were-raven mentioned the fact that he is of the understanding that he would be executed if he went to Rucee Proper to anyone with some degree of knowledge of how Rucee's policies work in that regard, he would learn the following:
          Applying for diplomatic status would be very easy in this case.(End of White-Text sentence)

Regarding Bloodsoaked's Doylist* reasons for existing, and Rucee's policies on long-term occupation. (Copy-paste from a PM I sent to someone who asked if they could post an immediate reply to Bloodsoaked, which I told them the specific way of doing, in as much as they would be posting it now, but technically they wouldn't be actually SAYING it until after the introductions are complete).
          Do note that it would merely be a happy coincidence if Bloodsoaked had anything further of any particular insight to say. Arguing with him could be excellent roleplay, but the only reason I created him on the spot was to provide the explanation for why long-term occupation of the Vedag didn't happen in the past, and the current plan is that it not be the case this time around either. The biggest exceptions would be small colonies that were founded on land that the Vedag holders were deported from. The idea with these is to NOT have Rucee ruling over the locals in the long-run, while still maintaining close enough geographic proximity that xenophobia can be eroded.(End of White-Text paragraph)

*The Doylist perspective asks: "Why did the author make this this way to serve the story?", this is in contrast to the Watsonian perspective which asks: "Given the pre-established situation in this story, including but not limited to the personalities of the characters, the laws of magic/super-science/etc, the in-universe history of the universe and intelligent species, what caused this particular thing to be true?"

Comment

i can still see the text slightly without highlight, also, if someone were to use an alternate theme, they would still see it plainly. you might consider linking to text you wish to remain un-apparent.

Comment

Roleplaying is, among other things, telling a story. I told Thomas Maltuin that I felt the story would be easier to understand if he included his characters thoughts in italices. He requested that I remind everyone to keep In-Character and Out-Of -Character knowledge separate. In other words, your characters can't read minds, so when roleplaying them ignore any information that is in italics and anything else that your character wouldn't know.

Of course, from time to time, bending the story a little bit can be good, such as when a character with a fear of skunks passed out at the sight of my wereskunk character. I failed a roll so the GM decided that my character thought that he was actually afraid of my briefcase. I had my character set down his briefcase out of sight, and sit down next to the guy then wrap his tail around the guys head as a comforting thing (since his own children found that very comforting). The other characters talked mine into unwrapping him and standing back before he woke up or I would have ended up launched across the room by his super-strength. Given that this is an advanced technique, most of you should probably ask in the OOC thread before doing that. Permission from myself OR whoever you are using OOC knowledge about should generally suffice provided no tactical advantage is gained.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Maltuin View Post
                i can still see the text slightly without highlight, also, if someone were to use an alternate theme, they would still see it plainly. you might consider linking to text you wish to remain un-apparent.
                Well it would be a bit cumbersome, but I suppose... maybe a fourth thread that we link to individual posts of for each spoiler?

Also: This board has themes? I did not know this...

Comment

One forum I was a member of had an RPG thread, and, whenever the GM/DM or another player wanted to communicate something in secret, they did so via PM.
                  My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

I'll talk with the higher-ups and see if we can enable spoiler-text (if it costs money, I might slap down the cash if it's not too much). PMing vital information to the player is a good substitute though.
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

To be quite frank I have a bit of a phobia of PMs due to a logistical situation on another forum I frequent. This isn't entirely logical on my part and so I shall endeavor to overcome it.

On the other hand, I do find that people PM me a bit much about stuff that not only isn't secret, but could be of educational value to newbies (or, in the case of house rules, any of their fellow players). The sample size is pretty small though.

The disadvantage of PMs for secrecy is that they make the person giving the information decide who knows and who doesn't know. Strange as it sounds, I actually run into MORE situations where I want to leave it up the the individual players if they wish to know a certain piece of information than I do cases where I want to decide that for them... with the exception that I've been known to do some of my GMs notes as spoilers. I suppose in this case I can do those as PMs to myself, or a Google Document that is private to myself.

Weird question:
                      Someone approaches the party. They strongly suggest that you agree blindly to a certain mission, with the only caveats being that if it is something horrible then you can break the contract without penalty. Why blindly? Well, the quest-giver isn't going to come out and say this, but will hint that the mission itself is something very Good, but the employers are quite nutsy (in a harmless way) in their politics, so having a little "plausible deniability" for why you took the mission would be for the best.

So, my question is: Who is this quest-giver that you would take him up on this offer? Yes, this is an actual mission I have run before, although it is something that is best done in a few levels from now rather than at 4th level. I'm actually asking more to provoke ongoing thought in yet another way than for any need for the information.

In other news, I think that Myth-Weaver's sheet sharing system may be working for me again... although it may be a matter of "person must be on friend's list" or "only works for viewers, not editors"?

Comment

Originally posted by Draco Dei View Post
                        Weird question:
                        Someone approaches the party. They strongly suggest that you agree blindly to a certain mission, with the only caveats being that if it is something horrible then you can break the contract without penalty. Why blindly? Well, the quest-giver isn't going to come out and say this, but will hint that the mission itself is something very Good, but the employers are quite nutsy (in a harmless way) in their politics, so having a little "plausible deniability" for why you took the mission would be for the best.

So, my question is: Who is this quest-giver that you would take him up on this offer?
                        Think Mr. Church or Max Drummer from the Expendables movies, i.e. government agents who need some really bad guys taken out but can't do it themselves.
                        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Quick attempt at collecting of all of the character sheets I can find at this time (not all are finished):
                          (BRAND NEW Sheet for pre-existing Player and character!) Razzik the Kobold to be played by ForrestGump (goes by a different name on IRC)
                          Mors/Thanatos Warforged (AKA mechanical man) Swordsage (AKA "Hollywood-style ninja" with supernatural powers). played by Rational Gaze
                          Umbris the Anthro Feline Rogue played by Thomas Maltuin
                          (Not sure if still playing? I am VERY forgetful with who is doing what.) Human Sorcerer played by someone whom I'm just going to call "Eddy" for now. If the player drops out, then this guy is becoming a GMPC for the first mission, since prior experience indicates that you are probably going to NEED an arcanist.
                          Aldyr “Badgerson” Elaris, Gnomish Druid for Elder
                          Sigval the Halfling Wereraven Monk with Skirmish instead of Flurry of Blows played by Boxing Pythagoras (No sheet that I can find...)

Hmmm... 6 characters, 7 if you count Aldyr's Int 5 or 6 Medium Viper as being a separate character... that should be enough, but more people are welcome to apply in "reserve" slots in case a player or two informs us that they don't want to play after all...

There is also going to be a half-elven bard who may be popping up from time to time, roleplayed by Spheniscine, but he's not going to be engaging in anything related to the missions, just the debates, and maybe whatever random social roleplay happens.

Boxing Pythagoras:
                          I hope you weren't waiting on my to get back to me on your interesting item before you actually linked me to (or even started?) your character sheet?
                          Last edited by Draco Dei; 09-14-2015, 02:31 AM.

Comment

"Eddy" now informs me that he is dropping out. I shall therefore be running his sorcerer as an allied NPC for the first mission.

Comment

Do we yet have some to play "gravity monk"?

Should we be trying to recruit to fill his spot?

If someone approached my character and asked me to do it at this point, I'd imagine a goblin in modern (to the time) professional garb, trying to look civilized. Basically a goblin who's lived in a non goblin home for ever. He would be a bit quirky but with a smooth demeanor and optimistic tone when speaking of the mission.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X