No announcement yet.

Exploratory Thread: Mercenaries (3.5e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. You going for any sniping-specific feats with that?
    --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
      Nice. You going for any sniping-specific feats with that?
      The ranger levels give me rapid shot, manyshot, and improved precise shot, which ignores all but total cover. I'm not sure what other feats to take, other than Far Shot and maybe precise shot; presumably there are more sniping-related feats, but they aren't in the SRD.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to go for slightly less stealth, no survival ranks and maximize his gather info (5 ranks knowledge local, circlet of persuasion, 23 ranks gather info and +1 cha, so an overall modifier of +29 gather info), and give him a halfling rogue as his level 7 cohort (since I wasn't allowed a wood elf, I probably wouldn't be allowed a gray elf either, which IMO make the best rogues). Hopefully we won't be going anywhere with lots of high-CR traps with our high-level characters.

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Sent my two characters. One other option for our lack of high-level rogue (and lack of cleric) is for someone to either take a level in cleric and buy a wand of find traps (4500 gp) or homebrew a wondrous item of the find traps spell (command word, should cost 10800 gp, less if its a limited number of uses per day) and give it to a character with search as a class skill and a lot of skill points (maybe your horizon walker, spart?)

A Hope That Burns

Comment

I have a problem. When my barbarian became a fighter, all the skills are cross-class. Is this really the feature?

Carrik, can i just go directly to fighter even though the background story i sent you include a barbarian skill. I can go fighter first (unto level 14) and just adjust on barbarian skill depending on how you wanted me to go about it.

Comment

You're better off going with barbarian first (at first level you automatically get the maximum roll and 4 times the number of skill points, both of those are better with barbarian than fighter (d12 vs d10, 4+int vs 2+int), going with barbarian first will give you an extra 2 hit points and 8 skill points. The two classes have almost the same class skills, if you include some levels of ranger or rogue in there you'll have a lot more class skills to choose from, but would need to be more careful to balance the classes out. (i.e. keep two of them within one level of each other, with the third being your favoured class)

A Hope That Burns

Comment

You're better off going with barbarian first (at first level you automatically get the maximum roll and 4 times the number of skill points, both of those are better with barbarian than fighter (d12 vs d10, 4+int vs 2+int), going with barbarian first will give you an extra 2 hit points and 8 skill points. The two classes have almost the same class skills, if you include some levels of ranger or rogue in there you'll have a lot more class skills to choose from, but would need to be more careful to balance the classes out. (i.e. keep two of them within one level of each other, with the third being your favoured class)
                my problem is most of the class skills became cross-class

Comment

This was sorted out in the shoutbox. If anyone needs help choosing magic items and stuff, let me know.
                  Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 02-18-2014, 06:47 AM.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

This was sorted out in the shoutbox. If anyone needs help choosing magic items and stuff, let me know.
                    Thanks to Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                      Carrik, can i just go directly to fighter even though the background story i sent you include a barbarian skill. I can go fighter first (unto level 14) and just adjust on barbarian skill depending on how you wanted me to go about it.
                      It's up to you how you go about it. If you want/need to change your background story, that's perfectly fine. It will probably need tailored a bit anyway once I bother posting the map, which should be Soon (TM).
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I might have made a mistake with my dragon disciple, the alignment has to match the dragon type, doesn't it? If so, I should change it to a Brass Dragon to be chaotic good, as that is a slightly better fit to his backstory than lawful good, and he'd have to wander into the desert to find him, rather than mountains.
                        Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 02-18-2014, 10:57 AM.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

I might have made a mistake with my dragon disciple, the alignment has to match the dragon type, doesn't it? If so, I should change it to a Brass Dragon to be chaotic good, as that is a slightly better fit to his backstory than lawful good, and he'd have to wander into the desert to find him, rather than mountains.
                          See PM.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            It's up to you how you go about it. If you want/need to change your background story, that's perfectly fine. It will probably need tailored a bit anyway once I bother posting the map, which should be Soon (TM).
                            Ok will wait for the map.

Comment

Can my high level buy something for the lower level. A gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                                Can my high level buy something for the lower level. A gift.
                                No, you have to stay within the starting gold limits for each character

A Hope That Burns

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X