Exploratory Thread: Tavern Brawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploratory Thread: Tavern Brawl

This will be SRD (3.5e). It's just a short 'something to do until a real game comes along' thing. Levels 5 - 7 (I have no idea why I bother - everyone will roll up a 7th anyway). Game ends when everyone is KO'd or someone else starts a real game.

Premise: The Bare Knuckles is a renowned establishment - the only attraction in the tiny kingdom of Gastove. Here, adventurers come from all over to test their abilities. Established by a high level, semi-retired adventurer band, the Bare Knuckles has all the amenities of a regular tavern - and one extra-special one. It is not possible to actually kill anyone within a half mile radius of the Bare Knuckles. No matter how normally lethal the weapon or spell, it only deals non-fatal damage. So the spiffy fireball deals its maximum - but the victims only take it as non lethal. Once they hit 0 HP, they pass out, and revive in the Town Hospital the next day where they recuperate.

The tavern offers a variety of specials, including team v team, team v NPC (guys hired just to fight at the Bare Knuckles), random encounters (how'd that bugbear get in here?), team meet-ups (what's a good adventurer team without their initial meeting ending in a fight?), and for the less discriminating, general dust ups with whoever happens to be in the place (also the most popular option). The cover charge is pricey, but it covers all damages, liabilities and your hospital stay. [DM: Don't figure this into your budget - we're going to assume a windfall].

So, wanna play?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Sure.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Count me in, naturally. I'd go for the Team vs NPC approach, but a Free-for-All or Team vs Team approach works too
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Oh hell yeah. :D

Comment

Sure.

SRD20 rules

Any particular method for rolling up a character? Do you have a link handy for a character sheet generator? I didn't save that one.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Sure.

SRD20 rules

Any particular method for rolling up a character? Do you have a link handy for a character sheet generator? I didn't save that one.
            Here you Go.

Comment

No special instructions - just roll up something. I don't mind crazy stuff - just run it past me first.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                No special instructions - just roll up something. I don't mind crazy stuff - just run it past me first.
                How we doing Ability Scores? 28/32 Point-Buy, or 4d6?

Comment

4d6

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Do y'all want to go in knowing each other or not (or any combinations)?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Whichever.

I've gotten started on putting together an elven Arcane Archer.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've got a Sorcerer rolled, but if need be, I can switch.

ETA: As to whether our characters know each other or not... I wouldn't object to the party knowing one another.

Comment

Cool.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Any specific house rules? E.g. TK always thought the durations on summoning spells were far too short, given their long casting time, so ruled they last 1 minute/level instead of 1 round/level. If you agree to something similar, I'd try a druid.

*edit* also, what's the starting gold for lvl 7?
                            --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

For this, I'll permit it. Outdoors, I'm not sure I agree with TK - but this will be indoors or in town so it seems reasonable to me.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X