Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's stick with SRD for now then.

Nope, just finish up your shopping spree. I'll open the Commentary thread a little later today and give some background there so y'all can be working on that while OBP and Sparky catch up.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Looks good. You have enough funds to buy everything in the stupid equipment list until you get down to ships (you don't need a ship but yes, you can buy one) without the bonus - BUT your actual gold is three times greater, don't forget.

But let's start with skills. One the creator sheet, there's a skills button - when you click it, you'll see how many skill points you have. The skills come with descriptions you can click for - but most are fairly straight forward like 'climb' or 'jump'. A skill rank maks you more likely to succeed in a skill you are attemption - any one can attempt to climb a small cliff but the guiy with several ranks in Climb is a lot less likely to fall off than the guy that doesn't have any.

If you have to start over, just fill in the stats with the ones you have (I presume you already saw how that's done) and it will take it from there.

There are more buttons to explore if you decide to go ahead, that's fine. Otherwise, holler once you have your skills picked out.

FYI: you're high enough level to have a LOT of skill points - you can be as specialized or as general as you wish. You might want to be more specialized at this point - pick out a number of useful skill but not the whole danged list. That will leave some points in reserve to decide what your character is really best at - and to fix problems if you suddenly realize you're the only ranger in the woods who can't ride a horse.
      Yeah I have no idea what skills I should have. Wanting to play a pirate like Ranger, but maybe use pistols instead of a bow. Is that possible? And I would need sword fighting skills. but I don't know much else. I will see what I can do and you can correct me later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yeah I have no idea what skills I should have. Wanting to play a pirate like Ranger, but maybe use pistols instead of a bow. Is that possible? And I would need sword fighting skills. but I don't know much else. I will see what I can do and you can correct me later.
        Considering the pistols of the pirate era were either single shot matchlock or flintlocks even if you can't use them hand crossbows might be a viable option.

Maybe a Gnomish-designed repeating hand crossbow or a bandoleer full of hand crossbows (some pirates did carry a bunch of pisols in similar contraptions).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

OK see attached PDF of character sheet.

I had 168 skill points and I used all but 33ish.
          I picked leather armor, and I have Thirsty the War Possum to ride. It says he is a horse, but he is in disguise.
          I also have a pirate ship, a treasure chest, some barrels of rum and several weeks of bacon.

Since there are no pistols, I chose a heavy crossbow and will just call it a pistol or shotgun.

I chose two rapiers as my melee fighting.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            In that case:

Str - 13 (-2) = 11
            Dex - 17
            Con - 11 (+2) = 13
            Int - 19
            Wis - 17
            Chr - 15
            Are these to include the increases gained every 4 levels, or do the increases get added to these?

I've gotten the basic character sheet done; working on modifying it to include all my magical stuff. My familiar is a celestial weasel.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sorry, guys - today was a bit rough. I'll get back to this tomorrow when my legs and i are back on speaking terms... well, as much as we get, anyway....
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Okay, I was sick over the weekend and lost track. Sparky, do you still need help? Anyone else need anything?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Okay, I was sick over the weekend and lost track. Sparky, do you still need help? Anyone else need anything?
                  Yep - see my question above. One of those online character sheet generators prompted it.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't know enough to know if I need help.

I posted a pdf of my character with skills and equipment. take a look and let me know.

Comment

• Shopping/equipment list for my character:
                      +6 enhancements for str, dex, and con (36k each for 108k total)
                      +5 cloak of resistance for 25k,
                      ring of protection +5 for 50k
                      ring of regeneration for 90k, (maybe one of these should be a 40k freedom of movement instead)
                      +5 mithral breastplate of +5 spell resistance for 104k
                      +5 ghost touch greatsword for 72,350
                      +1 brilliant energy longsword for 50,315 [cue Star Wars theme]

That's 499,665 spent, or about half of the budget you allowed us.

I should probably also have a composite bow of some sort. Am I missing anything else?
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        Shopping/equipment list for my character:
                        +6 enhancements for str, dex, and con (36k each for 108k total)
                        +5 cloak of resistance for 25k,
                        ring of protection +5 for 50k
                        ring of regeneration for 90k, (maybe one of these should be a 40k freedom of movement instead)
                        +5 mithral breastplate of +5 spell resistance for 104k
                        +5 ghost touch greatsword for 72,350
                        +1 brilliant energy longsword for 50,315 [cue Star Wars theme]

That's 499,665 spent, or about half of the budget you allowed us.

I should probably also have a composite bow of some sort. Am I missing anything else?
                        Where do you find those items? All I saw on the page teal gave me was pretty ordinary stuff.

Comment

• http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm

Comment

• I'd offer more guidance, but I'm not much better at this than you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              I'd offer more guidance, but I'm not much better at this than you are.
                              Yeah I have no idea which ones my character can use, or would be helpful. I guess I will just have to hope the DM doesn't kill me off too easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Yeah I have no idea which ones my character can use, or would be helpful. I guess I will just have to hope the DM doesn't kill me off too easy.
                                Weapons 'n' armor could be used.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X