Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    I'm willing to entertain the idea of playing, though given my level of skill in this game it might be best for me to play as a character who took a few too many blows to the head...
    Played a Barbarian once who took a crit with the chart declaring his head was spread over a large surface area. He was resurrected or maybe reincarnated with a moose head and had an intelligence of 3. Thereafter he was known as "Thud" as that's all he would say and do with his giant maul.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm willing to entertain the idea of playing, though given my level of skill in this game it might be best for me to play as a character who took a few too many blows to the head...

Spart!!! Welcome back!

Just chalk it up to coming out of retirement!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

got 3 general character ideas:
        1. dwarf fighter (maybe barbarian)
        2. Half-orc barbarian, running out of savings and starting to feel aging process and, wants to die on his feet with his comrades while he's still strong
        3. As character 2, but he died in an insufficiently glorious way after un-retiring for above reasons, and instead of being raised normally by a cleric (possibly due to magic becoming less reliable), is reincarnated by a druid as an elf or half-elf, or something like that. The resulting character is no longer over-the-hill, but also no longer intimidating in the way he's used to being. To put it another way, "For the remainder of the film, the role of Conan the Barbarian will be played by Orlando Bloom."

3)
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

In case 3, it seems like my racial bonus to str would be gone, but my racial penalties to int and cha would be partially mitigated by having reached middle age. Effectively, I'd be playing as an elf/half-elf with -1 int and cha and +1 wis, but maybe with some feats normally not accessible to elves. Do I have that right?
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

In case 3, it seems like my racial bonus to str would be gone, but my racial penalties to int and cha would be partially mitigated by having reached middle age. Effectively, I'd be playing as an elf/half-elf with -1 int and cha and +1 wis, but maybe with some feats normally not accessible to elves. Do I have that right?
            Yes

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, I rolled up my rogue the other day... for the record, I'm going with a talky, Level 18 rogue, so he's not going to be the sneaky-stabby type. He has a +32 to Diplomacy after modifiers. And that's BEFORE I buy him Magic Items.
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

It's been a while since I rolled up a character, so I'm gonna put my basic thoughts out here and let y'all criticize my noobish choices and/or make general recommendations, ok?

Rolled 11, 13, 14, 14, 15, 18 for stats. I think I want to set con as 18 and put my level-up stats into strength. Not sure about the rest of the stat distribution, or even the level-up stats.

I'm thinking I'll go with the level 17 half-orc->half-elf version and say that he's taken a level or two in fighter after reincarnating in order to re-learn how to fight in this scrawny elf-y body. I guess I make a level 15-16 character, have him reach middle age and die, then reincarnate and level up another time or two with the improved mental stats?

Some might say that, after the reincarnation spell, he's half the man he used to be. To be fair, though, his man half stayed the same- it's the orc half that got swapped out.

Comment

Sorry, uber busy for a couple days (packing a family reunion AND a trip to Steelers training camp into this weekend); I'll try to sneak in some time Monday or Tuesday to roll up a character.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It's been a while since I rolled up a character, so I'm gonna put my basic thoughts out here and let y'all criticize my noobish choices and/or make general recommendations, ok?

Rolled 11, 13, 14, 14, 15, 18 for stats. I think I want to set con as 18 and put my level-up stats into strength. Not sure about the rest of the stat distribution, or even the level-up stats.

I'm thinking I'll go with the level 17 half-orc->half-elf version and say that he's taken a level or two in fighter after reincarnating in order to re-learn how to fight in this scrawny elf-y body. I guess I make a level 15-16 character, have him reach middle age and die, then reincarnate and level up another time or two with the improved mental stats?

Some might say that, after the reincarnation spell, he's half the man he used to be. To be fair, though, his man half stayed the same- it's the orc half that got swapped out.
                    Barbarians are Str/Dex/Con dependent but since he's now a half-elf, you might wanna put the other 14 into either Wis or Int.

Then again, Chr could be more humorous...

I rarely play the type, though - CV might have a better idea.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Sorry, uber busy for a couple days (packing a family reunion AND a trip to Steelers training camp into this weekend); I'll try to sneak in some time Monday or Tuesday to roll up a character.
                      Who told you you could have a real life?!

Just kidding - see you then.

If possible, could you give me an idea of what you're planning? It's not a biggie - it would just let me get some back story stuff done (it's not like I can't later). Also, it would let me make a couple decisions that the others need.

As soon as we have characters - assuming no one else pipes up - we'll get started.
                      Last edited by Teallaura; 07-27-2018, 09:11 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Barbarians are Str/Dex/Con dependent but since he's now a half-elf, you might wanna put the other 14 into either Wis or Int.

Then again, Chr could be more humorous...

I rarely play the type, though - CV might have a better idea.
                        I'm tempted to use the odd-numbered stats for my mental stats, since they all get adjusted by 1 point anyway. Having an extra point on my will save could be nice, but how much better is that than, like, 15 skill points? I think charisma will be the 11.

I'm pretty sure power attack, cleave, and great cleave are all non-negotiable feats, yeah? Combat reflexes is probably also good, and a major reason I'd want dexterity. What other feats are important for a barbarian? The dodge/mobility/spring attack feat tree? I'm a little tempted by improved critical.

Comment

Here's the gist of my character. There's still some stuff to be determined yet, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Halbar Longstride
                          Male Elf Rogue 18
                          Neutral Good
                          Representing CV

Strength 8 (-1)
                          Dexterity 13 (+1)
                          Constitution 11 (+0)
                          Intelligence 14 (+2)
                          Wisdom 15 (+2)
                          Charisma 20 (+5)

Size: Medium
                          Height: 4' 7"
                          Weight: 95 lb
                          Skin: Pale
                          Eyes: Green
                          Hair: Dark Brown Straight; Beardless
                          Total Hit Points: 67

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 13 = 10 +2 [leather] +1 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 11
                          Flat-footed: 13 [uncanny dodge]
                          Initiative modifier: +5 = +1 [dexterity] +4 [improved initiative]
                          Fortitude save: +6 = 6 [base]
                          Reflex save: +12 = 11 [base] +1 [dexterity]
                          Will save: +8 = 6 [base] +2 [wisdom]
                          Attack (handheld): +12/+7/+2 = 13 [base] -1 [strength]
                          Weapon Finesse: +14/+9/+4 = 13 [base] +1 [dexterity]
                          Attack (unarmed): +12/+7/+2 = 13 [base] -1 [strength]
                          Attack (missile): +14/+9/+4 = 13 [base] +1 [dexterity]
                          Grapple check: +12/+7/+2 = 13 [base] -1 [strength]

Languages: Common Elven Gnome Orc

Short Sword [1d6, crit 19-20/x2, 1 lb, light, piercing]

Leather armor [light; +2 AC; max dex +6; check penalty 0; 15 lb.]

Feats:
                          Blind-fight
                          Improved Initiative
                          Investigator
                          Negotiator
                          Persuasive
                          Quick Draw
                          Improved Evasion [high-level rogue]
                          Opportunist [high-level rogue]
                          Skill Mastery [high-level rogue] (5 Skills, Yet to be Determined)
                          Weapon Finesse

*Skills*
                          Bluff (Cha) 28 = +5 +21 +2 [persuasive]
                          Diplomacy (Cha) 32 = +5 +21 +2 [bluff] +2 [negotiator] +2 [sense motive]
                          Gather Information (Cha) 28 = +5 +21 +2 [investigator]
                          Hide (Dex*) 22 = +1 + 21
                          Intimidate (Cha) 9 = +5 +2 [bluff] +2 [persuasive]
                          Listen (Wis) 25 = +2 +21 +2 [elf]
                          Move Silently (Dex)* 22 = +1 +21
                          Open Lock (Dex) 11 = +1 +10
                          Search (Int) 16 = +2 +10 +2 [elf] +2 [investigator]
                          Sense Motive (Wis) 25 = +2 +21 +2 [negotiator]
                          Spot (Wis) 25 = +2 +21 +2 [elf]
                          Use Magic Device (Cha) 26 = +5 +21
                          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Found this: http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/race...320/index.html

Prerequisite

ability to rage, Half-orc,
                            Benefit

You may spend one of your daily uses of rage as an immediate action to add your Strength bonus on a Will saving throw.

Seems like I should pick this if I wanna get a benefit from having been a half-orc, other than just RPing.

Comment

I'm tempted to use the odd-numbered stats for my mental stats, since they all get adjusted by 1 point anyway. Having an extra point on my will save could be nice, but how much better is that than, like, 15 skill points? I think charisma will be the 11.

I'm pretty sure power attack, cleave, and great cleave are all non-negotiable feats, yeah? Combat reflexes is probably also good, and a major reason I'd want dexterity. What other feats are important for a barbarian? The dodge/mobility/spring attack feat tree? I'm a little tempted by improved critical.
                              CV? Have you done much with barbarians? I'm pretty sure the 'non-negotiable' feats are correct but I so rarely roll them up as anything but cannon fodder that I don't really know much about their feats.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Found this: http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/race...320/index.html

Prerequisite

ability to rage, Half-orc,
                                Benefit

You may spend one of your daily uses of rage as an immediate action to add your Strength bonus on a Will saving throw.

Seems like I should pick this if I wanna get a benefit from having been a half-orc, other than just RPing.
                                That would be my conclusion, yes.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X