Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Okay, since we have three players, take the standard gold and multiply by three. This is your starting gold.

OR

Divide the total number of your skill points by 4 and add that amount to your skill points.

Example: 18th Level Wizard. total Skill Points 42 (okay, he's a dumb wizard since that's the base minimum for that level). 42/4= 10.5

Round up - this is me being nice.

Where do I find "standard gold"?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I am lost already.
      I could also use a refresher on skills and feats.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OK I found this site:

http://www.fastcharacter.com/

and

https://orcpub2.com/

They generate 5E characters. Will it work for this?

I have no clue how to generate my own character. What you told me above doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Oh, how about I do a 16th-level wizard/6th-level cleric, for maximum frustration (gnome, just because).

Are we doing SRD 3.5 or 5e?

Str - 13 (-2) = 11
          Dex - 17
          Con - 6 (+2) = 8
          Int - 19
          Wis - 17
          Chr - 15

3.5 because I wasn't paying attention when I glanced at it earlier and didn't realize it had a second system now.

Unless, Spart and CV rolled up in 5e, in which case I'll just adapt.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Where do I find "standard gold"?
            I forgot the 'no character creation' thing in SRD. Okay, I've been cheating by skimming through classes and back tracking (at least that's what I did when I was checking for Spart and initially when making sure I understood it myself). the link below will make life much easier.

Yes, anyone that wants to recalculate can - but with the original dice rolls. I'm not THAT nice.

Linkie!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              OK I found this site:

http://www.fastcharacter.com/

and

https://orcpub2.com/

They generate 5E characters. Will it work for this?

I have no clue how to generate my own character. What you told me above doesn't help.
              Let me hear back from CV and Spart since I messed up initially. If they rolled up in 3.5, I'll help you with your character. If they rolled up in 5, then the sheets will work perfectly fine - once it's done, I'll help you with the modifications for my world (you'll either have more money or more skill points, your choice).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I could also use a refresher on skills and feats.
                SRD has the info on the basics - are you talking about the differences between them?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Let me hear back from CV and Spart since I messed up initially. If they rolled up in 3.5, I'll help you with your character. If they rolled up in 5, then the sheets will work perfectly fine - once it's done, I'll help you with the modifications for my world (you'll either have more money or more skill points, your choice).
                  OK. Just treat me as a complete newb. I haven't played in over 20 years and even then I had to have help! If it is too much trouble I will bow out and wait for a newbie game if someone wants to start that.

I was going to go all pirate mode, but we apparently already have a rogue character so I will be a ranger. or maybe something even more basic so I don't have to worry about spells and stuff.

Comment

Primer: 4d6

There are six stats that every character has (Strength, Wisdom, Dexterity, Charisma, Intelligence and Constitution). These stats are determined by rolling three six sided die for each stat and using the total.

So, if you roll 5, 4 and 3 for your Constitution, your actual Constitution stat would be 12.

That's the basics, anyway. As you can see, it stinks because rolling a specific set of rolls for a specific stat may not give you enough points to run the character class you would like (this can be amusing for DMs with first level parties, but in general, it stinks). Commonly, most DMs and even some systems, allow a player to roll all six sets of stats and then chose which number will go to which stat - so if you also have a 15 total you'd prefer to put into constitution, you can.

This doesn't stink as much but you still end up with a lot of very average - and below average - stats.

The fix for this is to roll four die six instead of just three and total three the highest.

So, you roll 5,4,3,6. You then chose the ones you want (some comedians chose the lowest - don't do this) and total those three - in this example 5+4+6=15.

So, in my world, you will roll 4d6 a total of 6 times. You will total up three of the four rolls in a given set and apply those scores to your character's stats.

If you roll really poorly (four 1's, for example) it's perfectly okay to reroll that. Any stat below 10 should be rerolled. I didn't state it explicitly before (should have) but in a high level party you really shouldn't see low stats (unless it's a character choice - running a barbarian who's barely smarter than a door, for instance. Don't do this, either - let's get you back up to speed before trying the sillier stuff).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I forgot the 'no character creation' thing in SRD. Okay, I've been cheating by skimming through classes and back tracking (at least that's what I did when I was checking for Spart and initially when making sure I understood it myself). the link below will make life much easier.

Yes, anyone that wants to recalculate can - but with the original dice rolls. I'm not THAT nice.

Linkie!
                      The system there seems to differ from both 3.5 and 5e (from here). E.g., gnomes get a -2 Str and +2 Con in 3.5, +2 Int in 5e, and -2 Str, +2 Con and +2 Chr in PF. We'll need to pick one.

Skills, I understand you use your skill points and pick skills available to your class(es). Feats? I'm not sure how you assign those.

sigpic

Comment

If you roll really poorly (four 1's, for example) it's perfectly okay to reroll that. Any stat below 10 should be rerolled.
                        In that case:

Str - 13 (-2) = 11
                        Dex - 17
                        Con - 11 (+2) = 13
                        Int - 19
                        Wis - 17
                        Chr - 15

sigpic

Comment

I'm an idiot.

CV and OBP - reroll the stats that are below 10 w/o modifier. This is my fault, I didn't notice earlier (I think I reread Spart's stats instead of CVs ) and I hadn't stated that there shouldn't be any below ten.

Basically, all stats should be double digit.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

In that case:

Str - 13 (-2) = 11
                            Dex - 17
                            Con - 11 (+2) = 13
                            Int - 19
                            Wis - 17
                            Chr - 15

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've been doing all this in 3.5.
                              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                                I've been doing all this in 3.5.
                                Ditto
                                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X