Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you Currently Playing? (TTRPG Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    So... Mondays I'm now running a Supers Campaign (after running an overwhelmingly successful test run of Pathfinder for Savage Worlds). Here's The Party... Well, assuming I can get the picture to upload properly (apparently Tweb doesn't play nice with PNG so I made it a JPEG)
    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 04-21-2022, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    My issue is that everyone gets the exact same modifier (a second dice roll) regardless of the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Never thought I would miss modifiers. Oh, wait...

We stick modifiers on everything but rolls - sure, makes perfect sense...
    My issue is that everyone gets the exact same modifier (a second dice roll) regardless of the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The whole "advantage" thing helps streamline the play but at the cost that its the same advantage for everyone in every situation
    Never thought I would miss modifiers. Oh, wait...

We stick modifiers on everything but rolls - sure, makes perfect sense...

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

It's not just you. 5e seems really 'Meh.' Sure, it trims the bloat, but that also makes the d20 system's inherent flaws all the more obvious. Any of the new stuff they've introduced (Rolling with Advantage/Disadvantage, the new Race Creation Rules) has already been done in a far more interesting way in other Systems. On top of all that, it seems like they're just re-releasing old material converted over to 5e rather than anything new. Shame, really.

Also, I just started running a Sci-Fi Swashbuckler game on Saturdays using Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. Off to a good start.
    The whole "advantage" thing helps streamline the play but at the cost that its the same advantage for everyone in every situation

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Currently playing in several different Fifth Edition games and running one as well.

Is it me or is 5th kinda meh as a system?
    They fixed some of the excesses in 3.5 and buried the utter mistake that was 4e (the Vista of RPGs), but something about it seems -- lacking.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    Currently playing in several different Fifth Edition games and running one as well.

It's not just you. 5e seems really 'Meh.' Sure, it trims the bloat, but that also makes the d20 system's inherent flaws all the more obvious. Any of the new stuff they've introduced (Rolling with Advantage/Disadvantage, the new Race Creation Rules) has already been done in a far more interesting way in other Systems. On top of all that, it seems like they're just re-releasing old material converted over to 5e rather than anything new. Shame, really.

Also, I just started running a Sci-Fi Swashbuckler game on Saturdays using Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. Off to a good start.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    Originally posted by Frogwarrior View Post

Hi! Doing great man. Been forever!
    Right? It's been ages.

I'm doing pretty good myself, as you can see I've been doing a LOT of table-top RPG stuff as of late.

Leave a comment:

• Frogwarrior
    replied

That's definitely a different way of doing things, though I still prefer Dice Rocks even with Narrative Systems (like Cortex Prime)

By the way... Long time no see, man. How you doing?
    Hi! Doing great man. Been forever!

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    Originally posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    I'm a Patreon subscriber to my favorite sci-fi author (John Wright). Several of his books started as the plot of RPGs he was in or ran... so he decided to run one for his fans.
    We all chose characters from stories that he wrote.
    The system we're using is unique..... it's almost entirely diceless and narrative-driven. He, as the moderator, decides what is in the environment and how it works, and describes how it reacts to our decisions... so success and failure is not based on "what did the math rocks show" but on "did we pay attention enough to understand what is happening?" For instance, one guy got an electric shock because he attacked a giant with a metal spear.... the giant had an electrically charged weapon. He also has a techno-longbow that multiples the arrows it fires.... another character has a bow that shoots magical light arrows of good and healing.... so, it was super effective when they connected the dots and fired a light arrow from the multiplier bow.

It's a lot of fun.... and completely dependent on having a moderator who knows what he is doing, as there is no rulebook and dice mechanics to say "follow this algorithm to see what happens."
    That's definitely a different way of doing things, though I still prefer Dice Rocks even with Narrative Systems (like Cortex Prime)

By the way... Long time no see, man. How you doing?

Leave a comment:

• Frogwarrior
    replied
    I'm a Patreon subscriber to my favorite sci-fi author (John Wright). Several of his books started as the plot of RPGs he was in or ran... so he decided to run one for his fans.
    We all chose characters from stories that he wrote.
    The system we're using is unique..... it's almost entirely diceless and narrative-driven. He, as the moderator, decides what is in the environment and how it works, and describes how it reacts to our decisions... so success and failure is not based on "what did the math rocks show" but on "did we pay attention enough to understand what is happening?" For instance, one guy got an electric shock because he attacked a giant with a metal spear.... the giant had an electrically charged weapon. He also has a techno-longbow that multiples the arrows it fires.... another character has a bow that shoots magical light arrows of good and healing.... so, it was super effective when they connected the dots and fired a light arrow from the multiplier bow.

It's a lot of fun.... and completely dependent on having a moderator who knows what he is doing, as there is no rulebook and dice mechanics to say "follow this algorithm to see what happens."

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    So, I may or may not have been roped into running Deadlands Noir on Saturday evenings. The Sunday GM vanished for almost a month after Session 0, so I was asked if I'd be interested in running on a day I was able to.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    It's not awesome - still has some of the stuff I don't really like like challenge rankings but there aren't any really nasty spots so far. I thought I'd hate the spell section but it is actually an improvement on the old organization by class.
    I've yet to play a Spellcaster in 5e. I think the last character I played was a Dragonborn Monk whose fighting style resembled dancing.

Yeah, I'd forgotten how much of a pain prepping NPCs can be. Right now I'm more focused on having encounters prepped - 1st level needs xp more than anything but they also need a good learning environment both to master the system, and role playing. We have three relative novices... And it sounds like you need more cannon fodder than I do.

Did get the new Monster Manual - DMG is gonna have to wait another month.
    Savage Worlds does, "Level-Ups" differently in the form of "Advances" and "Rank". In the newest Edition, the GM awards Advances based on adventures completed (or about 2-3 Sessions on average), and every four Advances means you go up a Rank (Novice -> Seasoned -> Veteran -> Heroic -> Legendary), which opens up more options for Edges (their term for Feats) and- if Arcane Backgrounds are allowed- new Powers the PCs can take.

... and I don't want to put TOO much cannon fodder in the way. As they say, "Savage Worlds Happens"... All it takes is a lucky villager with a pitchfork and a very unlucky player to require someone to Roll up a new Character. Besides, it's more fun to watch players dig their own graves with dumb in-character decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    5e, eh? I really don't LOVE IT or HATE IT like some folks do, but I won't turn down a game someone's running just because it's 5th Edition.
    It's not awesome - still has some of the stuff I don't really like like challenge rankings but there aren't any really nasty spots so far. I thought I'd hate the spell section but it is actually an improvement on the old organization by class.

Originally posted by CV

... Meanwhile, I'm statting up tonnes of NPCs for my Doomsdays & Death Races game and finishing up some homebrew before the campaign starts in two weeks. I'm glad Savage Worlds is so easy to work with, otherwise I wouldn't be making this as Sandboxy as I am.
    Yeah, I'd forgotten how much of a pain prepping NPCs can be. Right now I'm more focused on having encounters prepped - 1st level needs xp more than anything but they also need a good learning environment both to master the system, and role playing. We have three relative novices... And it sounds like you need more cannon fodder than I do.

Did get the new Monster Manual - DMG is gonna have to wait another month.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X