No announcement yet.

Pathfinder One-Shot: Any Takers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone poke me wednesday if I haven't posted anything character creation-related by then, k?

Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Draco Dei View Post
        I can start with crafting done, right? It is just when you start SELLING stuff you crafted that you would call "Cheese!" ? I took Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item because they went with the character concept, plus, of course, I have Scribe Scroll for being a Wizard.

Also, a strict reading of the rules would place the price for a mithril dagger at 252 GP. I'm getting one regardless, but if you want me to pay 502 GP for it instead (IE base the price on the weight BEFORE the weight reduction, despite Mithral not having Darkwood's clause about it being such) I would be willing since I am getting a masterwork weapon that bypasses DR/Silver without taking Alchemical Silver's -1 to damage out of it (and has a higher hardness I think...). Not the biggest deal on a Str 10 poor BAB character, but I thought I would mention it...
        I only have one rule when it comes to cheese... you bring it to the table, you bring enough for your teammates.

(Basically, I'll allow it, but other players can request that you make items for them as long as they cover the costs)

On a related note, to keep things simple, I'm going to say that the group has been adventuring with each other for a while now. Also, because I derped and forgot to post starting gold, we're doing 10'500 (which is standard for Level 5 starting Wealth)

The caster levels listed with EVERY item don't seem to be a requirement, but only if something is listed separately in the "Creation" section, right? I ask because Handy Haversack has a caster level of 9. I am hiring the actual casting of the spell(Secret Chest). It seems I only need one casting of it since it would be coming from a "live" casting, and the multiple castings are only referred to for spells coming from items? The rules for creating magic items seem split between two different places in my book and they don't seem to be in perfect agreement. This is the difference between my saving myself 550 GP because I have the right feat and can make the Spellcraft check, and 100 GP.

Also, can I spend 50 GP for extensive notes I have made on a given broad subject to create a masterwork tool for that subject? Naturally looking through said notes would not be instantaneous, but I could always try from memory and then we could remember the result and spending the time (an hour or two?) to study in my notes at a later time would give me an outcome as if I had rolled 2 higher than that. Successful nerds in most fields tend to develop extensive collections of such notes rather than just keeping around pre-existing reference-books. I already have him with a set of Masterwork glassblowing tools (which, for the record include several metal tubes and rods at least 5 feet long and probably more like 10 feet... hardly something that will fit in my Haversack... guess I will be leaving it in the "Inn" or carrying it over my shoulder in a padded*, water-proof sleeve...)

*Otherwise something might get bent if I have to drop it to deal with an attack or other emergency?

Really working this "uber-nerdy" angle...

Note that that will not mean "Shy and Retiring", he may not get the attention of people who don't know him well when he speaks up, but he certainly is going to be outspoken in his attempts to strategically analyze everything... survival, for him is merely an exercise in proper initial data gather, pre-planning, and execution with on-the-fly or "now let's stop and think a bit..." adjustments as necessary. In other words, the polar opposite of "kick in the door". Expect snark if pre-emptive door-kicking by others occurs, or respect if someone manages to outplan him (by which I mean outplan me).

On a "completely unrelated" note, would anyone care to venture a guess which small, brightly colored equine I most see myself in? If not, go outside... watch the sun sink below the horizon, I'm sure a small glowing "zap" of realization will come to your brain...
        Re: Item Crafting... From what I've seen, unless it says in the Requirements you have to be a certain level, you just have to be able to cast the spell somehow (ie, via a scroll or hiring someone to cast it).
        Re: 50GP Masterwork... I'll allow it once.

[GM]
        So... anyone need help building a character? Looks like we've got a Gunslinger, a Wizard, and an Investigator.
        [/GM]
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I'm interested. Especially if I can be a cyborg-cleric of some kind. I'd need help with character creation, I think, but, other than that, as long as the GM does their job, I should be able to play easily and properly.
          My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
            I'm interested. Especially if I can be a cyborg-cleric of some kind. I'd need help with character creation, I think, but, other than that, as long as the GM does their job, I should be able to play easily and properly.
            Well, there is an Android race so if you want that can be arranged.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-.../android-16-rp

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
              Well, there is an Android race so if you want that can be arranged.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-.../android-16-rp
              Sounds good.

Comment

Looks like we need meatshield? I think I'd be willing to do that. Fighter and barbarian seem fun enough, though warpriest looks interesting, too.

Comment

I'm good at meatshielding. One game I played, I was able to stall a bunch of enemies whilst our mages casted AoE spells. We ended up killing so many that the DM decided to surrender the remaining guards rather than let us kill all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                    I'm good at meatshielding. One game I played, I was able to stall a bunch of enemies whilst our mages casted AoE spells. We ended up killing so many that the DM decided to surrender the remaining guards rather than let us kill all of them.
                    Right now, we have an investigator, wizard, gunslinger, and a cleric.

A cleric can be a healer and/or front-line meatshield. If we want a well-rounded party, we probably want a character than can take the pressure off of the cleric for at least one of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      Right now, we have an investigator, wizard, gunslinger, and a cleric.

A cleric can be a healer and/or front-line meatshield. If we want a well-rounded party, we probably want a character than can take the pressure off of the cleric for at least one of those things.
                      It's looking like I will have 55hp and 21AC. The gunslinger is more of a meatshield than you might think.

ETA: The more the merrier, though.
                      Last edited by Carrikature; 09-08-2016, 03:18 PM.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The GM hath said (paraphrased) : If one brings cheese to the table, bring enough for everyone.

In that spirit, I believe that Wondrous Items* and Potion (and arcane scrolls FWIW) may now be 50% off. My spellcraft modifier is +16 in cases where that matters. I don't recommend gambling on cases where I can't automatically make it, but that would be your choice...

*Limit Caster level 5. so sadly, I can't do Cloaks of Resistance +2 for example. But it HAS been pointed out that the caster level of an item CAN exceed the level of the creator. Caster level is only a requirement if listed under requirements.

Also, if I can only have notes on one subject I believe I shall take Knowledge [Arcana]... or is that not what you meant?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          It's looking like I will have 55hp and 21AC. The gunslinger is more of a meatshield than you might think.

ETA: The more the merrier, though.
                          Yeah, I noticed when I looked at the SRD that gunslingers had a d10 as their hit die. Beefy.

Maybe I'll play a melee-focused ranger. The natural weapon variant sorta catches my eye, though I imagine it's a sub-optimal build.

Comment

The GM hath said (paraphrased) : If one brings cheese to the table, bring enough for everyone.

In that spirit, I believe that Wondrous Items* and Potion (and arcane scrolls FWIW) may now be 50% off. My spellcraft modifier is +16 in cases where that matters. I don't recommend gambling on cases where I can't automatically make it, but that would be your choice...

*Limit Caster level 5. so sadly, I can't do Cloaks of Resistance +2 for example. But it HAS been pointed out that the caster level of an item CAN exceed the level of the creator. Caster level is only a requirement if listed under requirements.

Also, if I can only have notes on one subject I believe I shall take Knowledge [Arcana]... or is that not what you meant?
                            (Emphasis Mine)
                            That works, Draco.

Basic Premise for you folks... You're an adventuring group in the City of Argent that has caught wind of a Missing Person's case: Some rich noble's son has gone missing without a trace. Murder-HobosAdventurers are being discreetly summoned in hopes that they will find him as soon as possible. There is a VERY large reward being offered for doing this task (120,000 Gold), so it's clear they're desperate.
                            Last edited by Chaotic Void; 09-08-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Chaotic Void
                              Okay.

One thing that is on there that I will have to check if it has a listed cost in this system, but which I would very much wish to have is a familiar carrier. Basically it is a pet carrier that is made of very tough materials and locks from the inside rather than the outside, and has shutters which can be opened or closed (also from the inside only). With the shutters open it provides Improved Cover* to the Cat, and when closed Total Cover. I just hope it doesn't put me into Medium Load... Meh, I can always get a mule if it proves to be an issue...
                              *Or whatever Pathfinder calls that.

Everyone:
                              My sheet should be done except for the fiddly small stuff like "camping gear" and writing materials and such. I only have 80.8 GP left I think, and I want to have more than a few gold coins in petty cash. I may wait to see at least a rough draft of other people's characters before I finish up.

My fellow players:
                              The lengthy listing of equipment might be somewhat misleading in as much as Gauss is kitted out primarily as a "hazmat researcher" rather than an "adventurer"... let me put it this way: I almost got him a Ring of Sustanance for 2,500 GP.

Comment

Oh, I should add that I'm a pathfinder n00b, so I'd need help creating my character... unless CV wants to do it for me, being the DM/GM and all. I'm not bothered, I just want to play for fun.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X