Pathfinder One-Shot: Any Takers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder One-Shot: Any Takers?

So, who'd all be interested in a One-Shot using Pathfinder?

1) 5th Level
    2) Epic Fantasy Point-Buy (25 Points)
    3) No Third-Party Stuff, as it's a pain figuring out what's absurdly broken. When I link to the SRD, just look for the stuff under the, "Paizo," header. That's stuff you can use.

If need be, the GM can help you build a character.

Main Premise?

It's going to be a classic, "Rescue the (Influential Figure) from an evil (Something-or-Other)," game. For all you, "But I want an Ironic Reversal," Types, I'll be up-front and say not everything is as it seems... but you'll have to play the game to find out how things go down.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Here's a link to the SRD.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Me! Me!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, it seems The Lord may have lead me here for this, thinking it was going to be for posting a thread about how to turn V:tM / V:tR games more Christ-centric, since I haven't been on these boards for months so the timing is 'suspiciously' close...

Of course the two are hardly mutually exclusive... will be posting that thread, but will probably be going for a walk to chew matters over a bit.

I'm thinking Human Wizard, probably generalist, Neutral Good. Would weird, mildly-harmful-if-anything, mutations be acceptable? I have a very old (SECOND Edition!) character concept for a Generalist Wizard named of Gauss* of the Greensward who has dimly glowing green eyes, and paisley-shaped swirls of bright blue, red, and yellow in his medium-brown skin due to learning his craft from a researcher who always took safety precautions when possible, but never let the inability to find a safe way stop him from proceeding. They got along famously, and Griswold is even more mutated than Gauss, having both been more on the "front lines" in the laboratory and at it for longer.
      *First name could be altered if that is too meta... but I'd rather not.

If the mutations/backstory are reasonable, we can discuss the possibility of the variant semi-familiar* that goes with the concept, but could easily be dropped if necessary.
      *Part of the thing deal with Serendipity the Cat is that Gauss and Griswold could never conclusively determine if Serendipity actually DID have an arcane bond with Gauss and/or Serendipity's intellectual level.

Comment

I'm up for it if we're all on the same page about what sort of game we're planning to play.
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Spartacus: How do you mean?

FWIW, here is my sheet so far: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=930589
          Yes, the stats are min-maxed. that is actually how the character originally came to be. our GM gave us an ability score generation method ripe for abuse (they just had to add up to a specific number)... I "abused" it then showed it to him immediately. He said "You better give me a really good backstory to go with this..." so I had some motivation that ended up combining with a sleep-deprivation twisted background writing (the cause of some of my best work really...) and, well, I may have to type it up from scratch, but I think I can at least provide the more interesting parts if requested. It is good enough that it is one of my free-form "hang out and IC and talk about real or imaginary lives as the mood strikes us" IRC etc chat characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco Dei View Post
            Well, it seems The Lord may have lead me here for this, thinking it was going to be for posting a thread about how to turn V:tM / V:tR games more Christ-centric, since I haven't been on these boards for months so the timing is 'suspiciously' close...

Of course the two are hardly mutually exclusive... will be posting that thread, but will probably be going for a walk to chew matters over a bit.

I'm thinking Human Wizard, probably generalist, Neutral Good. Would weird, mildly-harmful-if-anything, mutations be acceptable? I have a very old (SECOND Edition!) character concept for a Generalist Wizard named of Gauss* of the Greensward who has dimly glowing green eyes, and paisley-shaped swirls of bright blue, red, and yellow in his medium-brown skin due to learning his craft from a researcher who always took safety precautions when possible, but never let the inability to find a safe way stop him from proceeding. They got along famously, and Griswold is even more mutated than Gauss, having both been more on the "front lines" in the laboratory and at it for longer.
            *First name could be altered if that is too meta... but I'd rather not.

If the mutations/backstory are reasonable, we can discuss the possibility of the variant semi-familiar* that goes with the concept, but could easily be dropped if necessary.
            *Part of the thing deal with Serendipity the Cat is that Gauss and Griswold could never conclusively determine if Serendipity actually DID have an arcane bond with Gauss and/or Serendipity's intellectual level.
            I'm a fan of keeping it simple (especially with a complex system that I'm still getting a grasp on, and for a playing a one-shot like this). If you're fine saying that the mutations are why he has such a low Charisma score (the colored swirls tend to weird people out and make them uneasy around him) and treat Serendipity like a normal familiar (with ambiguity of the bond as something with more narrative focus), then the concept can totally work.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            I'm up for it if we're all on the same page about what sort of game we're planning to play.
            Yeah, you're gonna have to elaborate/clarify Sparty.

On my end? Story-wise, this is a Trope game with some crazy twist(s) thrown in. Game-wise, you'll be going around town, wandering a small fortress, and probably smacking some people around (not necessarily in that order).

PS... Before I forget, we're doing Max HP rules so you don't have to roll HP. (otherwise, this will regress into a Meat Grinder VERY quickly).
            Last edited by Chaotic Void; 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Count me in.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                I'm a fan of keeping it simple (especially with a complex system that I'm still getting a grasp on, and for a playing a one-shot like this). If you're fine saying that the mutations are why he has such a low Charisma score (the colored swirls tend to weird people out and make them uneasy around him) and treat Serendipity like a normal familiar (with ambiguity of the bond as something with more narrative focus), then the concept can totally work.
                That was the idea with the mutations*. As for Serendipity... I am going to cut to the chase and simply omit him**. He isn't core to the concept, and originally came into existence because I noticed that the PHB (or one of the other books we were using?) had a market price listing for "cat", and I thought "Why not?".

*Well, PART of the reason for the low charisma score, the other part being: Nerd who rarely does anything but study and research.
                **Let me put it this way... mechanic was that one rolled approximately every hour for his fur color/general appearance. The options ranged from "Tabby" at the mundane end and on up into "Mandelbrot Set", "Night Sky with Possible Moon, (and Shooting Stars?)", and "Entire Cat Now Invisible Except for Skeleton". I'd have to recreate the chart from scratch, and even then there was a chance to end up on a secondary chart that could have him able to cover himself in miniature lightning-bolts al la Blanka from Street Fighter (mostly used to get rid of those pesky fleas), conjure up tiny chunks of raw meat (mouse sized...), a Slay Living effect that only worked on things with only 1 hitpoint (and maybe below a certain size? Definitely would include a "Diminutive or smaller" limit on that one if I ever re-create it), or turn incorporeal. Even without the secondary chart, I don't think you would go for that regardless of his place on the scale of "animal who follows me around because I feed and pet him, but is hardly likely to come to my aid in meaningful way" to "minion I command because I off-site-placement-ed a piece of my soul into him.", which is how I fluff familiars and the associated potential for XP loss in 3.X (I also houserule you go out and GET an animal, and the spell just happens to normalize its ability scores, rather than summoning it, but that is even more tangential to THIS campaign.).

tl;dr: I'll play the dude, never mind about the weirdo cat.

Comment

I'm looking at a gunslinger type. Thank you, Stephen King.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    I'm looking at a gunslinger type. Thank you, Stephen King.
                    I realize that firearms can really change the world, so feel free to shoot this down.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I wanna be an investigator!!!!!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        I realize that firearms can really change the world, so feel free to shoot this down.
                        The big thing is that, if you're a Gunslinger, you can basically attack vs Touch AC all the time. I'll allow it, though.

Originally posted by Draco Dei View Post
                        That was the idea with the mutations*. As for Serendipity... I am going to cut to the chase and simply omit him**. He isn't core to the concept, and originally came into existence because I noticed that the PHB (or one of the other books we were using?) had a market price listing for "cat", and I thought "Why not?".

*Well, PART of the reason for the low charisma score, the other part being: Nerd who rarely does anything but study and research.
                        **Let me put it this way... mechanic was that one rolled approximately every hour for his fur color/general appearance. The options ranged from "Tabby" at the mundane end and on up into "Mandelbrot Set", "Night Sky with Possible Moon, (and Shooting Stars?)", and "Entire Cat Now Invisible Except for Skeleton". I'd have to recreate the chart from scratch, and even then there was a chance to end up on a secondary chart that could have him able to cover himself in miniature lightning-bolts al la Blanka from Street Fighter (mostly used to get rid of those pesky fleas), conjure up tiny chunks of raw meat (mouse sized...), a Slay Living effect that only worked on things with only 1 hitpoint (and maybe below a certain size? Definitely would include a "Diminutive or smaller" limit on that one if I ever re-create it), or turn incorporeal. Even without the secondary chart, I don't think you would go for that regardless of his place on the scale of "animal who follows me around because I feed and pet him, but is hardly likely to come to my aid in meaningful way" to "minion I command because I off-site-placement-ed a piece of my soul into him.", which is how I fluff familiars and the associated potential for XP loss in 3.X (I also houserule you go out and GET an animal, and the spell just happens to normalize its ability scores, rather than summoning it, but that is even more tangential to THIS campaign.).

tl;dr: I'll play the dude, never mind about the weirdo cat.
                        Groovy!

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I wanna be an investigator!!!!!
                        Those can be fun... We've got one in the Noir Pathfinder game I'm a part of.

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I can start with crafting done, right? It is just when you start SELLING stuff you crafted that you would call "Cheese!" ? I took Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item because they went with the character concept, plus, of course, I have Scribe Scroll for being a Wizard.

Also, a strict reading of the rules would place the price for a mithril dagger at 252 GP. I'm getting one regardless, but if you want me to pay 502 GP for it instead (IE base the price on the weight BEFORE the weight reduction, despite Mithral not having Darkwood's clause about it being such) I would be willing since I am getting a masterwork weapon that bypasses DR/Silver without taking Alchemical Silver's -1 to damage out of it (and has a higher hardness I think...). Not the biggest deal on a Str 10 poor BAB character, but I thought I would mention it...
                            Last edited by Draco Dei; 09-02-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

The caster levels listed with EVERY item don't seem to be a requirement, but only if something is listed separately in the "Creation" section, right? I ask because Handy Haversack has a caster level of 9. I am hiring the actual casting of the spell(Secret Chest). It seems I only need one casting of it since it would be coming from a "live" casting, and the multiple castings are only referred to for spells coming from items? The rules for creating magic items seem split between two different places in my book and they don't seem to be in perfect agreement. This is the difference between my saving myself 550 GP because I have the right feat and can make the Spellcraft check, and 100 GP.

Also, can I spend 50 GP for extensive notes I have made on a given broad subject to create a masterwork tool for that subject? Naturally looking through said notes would not be instantaneous, but I could always try from memory and then we could remember the result and spending the time (an hour or two?) to study in my notes at a later time would give me an outcome as if I had rolled 2 higher than that. Successful nerds in most fields tend to develop extensive collections of such notes rather than just keeping around pre-existing reference-books. I already have him with a set of Masterwork glassblowing tools (which, for the record include several metal tubes and rods at least 5 feet long and probably more like 10 feet... hardly something that will fit in my Haversack... guess I will be leaving it in the "Inn" or carrying it over my shoulder in a padded*, water-proof sleeve...)

*Otherwise something might get bent if I have to drop it to deal with an attack or other emergency?

Really working this "uber-nerdy" angle...

Note that that will not mean "Shy and Retiring", he may not get the attention of people who don't know him well when he speaks up, but he certainly is going to be outspoken in his attempts to strategically analyze everything... survival, for him is merely an exercise in proper initial data gather, pre-planning, and execution with on-the-fly or "now let's stop and think a bit..." adjustments as necessary. In other words, the polar opposite of "kick in the door". Expect snark if pre-emptive door-kicking by others occurs, or respect if someone manages to outplan him (by which I mean outplan me).

On a "completely unrelated" note, would anyone care to venture a guess which small, brightly colored equine I most see myself in? If not, go outside... watch the sun sink below the horizon, I'm sure a small glowing "zap" of realization will come to your brain...
                              Last edited by Draco Dei; 09-03-2016, 07:22 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X