No announcement yet.

(Game Thread) Ruceeglaelsktinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What now, Orphan Keeper?" Thanatos asks respectfully. "I assume you will lead my companions and I to the orphanage?"
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

"Err... yes... of course, the other's will need to pick up their things... I assume you can work with that?"

((Going to shortcut the possibly paranoid walk to the orphanage, because the people you are replacing aren't going to try anythingon the journey there, and if you want to talk to them that can happen later.))

Well... THIS is interesting. As you get out into the more open countryside it develops that you are headed for a fortress. The orphan-keeper confirms that that really is the orphanage. Okay, so they took over an unused fortress? The orphankeeper says she assumes so. The orphanage is arch-roofed, rather than having separate walls, to provide at least some defense against fliers and rocks dropped by them. Arrow slits can be seen at strategic locations, and a single watchtower pierces the roof near the front.

The children meet her at the gate, eager for the fresh fruit she has with her (and in one cases a mended doll). There are 5 orphans of various ages, 4 hobgoblins, and one halfling.

((You are now just inside the orphanage... what do you all do? I feel like my description was sorta sparse, but I can't think of what to add to it particularly, so REMEMBER RULE NUMBER ONE!))

Comment

Thanatos will discuss the protection detail with Umbris and Razzik.

Comment

Umbris turns to look at the orphan-keeper looking mildly curious and perhaps amused, it's hard to be certain.

Madam, are these all of the children? If so, this looks like an awfully large facility to accommodate them. I'd almost say it could possibly be dangerous for them even...
          Pardon my intrusive curiosity, but are you sure there is nothing you failed to tell us about?

Umbris gives her a sideways glance a moment longer before turning to face the structure again and takes it in as he hopefully awaits an answer. He looks for high spots for scouting, and anything unusual.
          His focus seems strong, but he is still rather aware of his immediate surroundings. He sniffs the air for anything out of the ordinary while rubbing his chin with one paw.

Comment

((Dangerous? Why would it be dangerous? Am I missing something?))

"Well, Siba would still be in her crib, but yes, we DO have at least ten times ans many beds as we do children. Not sure why that is. As for being dangerous, I guess if one of them went off alone and got hurt then they might not be noticed as quickly, but there is a lock on the kitchens and such, and the lights and heat are all magical, so they aren't very likely to burn themselves. Seems actually safer than most of the houses in town by a wide margin. Safer than the houses back home too come to that."

"Does that mean we can't play hide and go seek any more?" asks a young hobgoblin girl, making puppy-dog eyes.

"I don't think that will be a problem deary." she replies with a smile.

(The best place for scouting the surrounding terrain would be the watch-tower.)

Comment

Razzik will glance around, studying the walls themselves, and how the stone has held up throughout the years, and after glancing around shortly will turn back to the orphan-keeper and party.

"How long do you believe it will take for your former guards to gather their things? I'd like to take a look around and familiarize myself with the halls and passages here in case we need to defend the place, after they've taken their leave."
              Last edited by ForrestGump; 12-18-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Razzik will speak quietly to Umbris, Thanatos, and the orphan-keeper.

"Do you all think the guards will try to cause any harm, simply out of spite for us taking their livelihood, they seem to have enjoyed their job, but they're also probably quite upset right now, and if so, shouldn't we keep a watchful eye on them until they are gone, maybe even try to question them somewhat?"

Comment

"An hour or two at most? I don't think they will cause any problems, but you all would know better than I would."

Comment

Razzik, how old do you think this place is? Anyone have any ideas why a place like this would go unused except to become an orphanage?

Tell you what actually, I'm going to go have a look in that watch tower and do a bit of scouting. I'll report back here shortly, anything in particular I should look out for though gentlemen?

Comment

((Going to assume this is all taking place outside of ear-shot/sight of the guards unless someone tells me otherwise.))

Razzik notes and communicates to the group* that the reactions of the people being laid off seemed to be more "attempting to be stoic in the face of a bad situation" than "angry"... in fact if he had to guess he would say that the only one of the four who ISN'T wearing armor was looking at the orphan-keeper with a touch of pity and/or concern.

Y'all also note that the dwarven guard's holy symbol is that of Moradin, which is the warder most common to dwarves. Based on his weaponry you would guess he is a cleric or favored soul.**

The dwarven orphan keeper also has a holy symbol, that of Allurehn. This doesn't necessarily mean she is a spellcaster however.

*((This communication may be retconned in at your option and convenience. I'm just having it already have happened so that people aren't waiting around on specific other people to post.))
                      **((Don't think anyone has Knowledge[Religion] to know more than that.))

Comment

Thanatos addresses Umbris:
                        "Well, the most obvious thing is to survey the surrounding landscape and note what it looks like. For example, hills, forests, etc. This will help in formulating defensive strategies and tactics. Any possible locations where we could bottleneck potential enemies would be good too."

Comment

(Based on what you saw on your way up here.... nice clear killing field of bare rock for a good distance (at least 300') in every direction. The only direction you thought you might have seen anything much in was directly behind the orphanage/fortress. Looks like the terrain drops off down a cliff?)
                          Last edited by Draco Dei; 12-24-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

actually I meant besides the obvious, but...
                            Bottlenecks, check, alright, I'm off.

Umbris strides off looking relieved to be doing something besides standing around. He heads straight for the watchtower and begins scouting his way up to the top.

Comment

Umbris arrives at the top of the tower and looks around. The only major detail that he notes is that there is a long cliff on the side furthest from the hobgoblin town, and that the fortress-orphanage(fortphanage? Let's go with that for the moment...) backs RIGHT up to it, in fact the whole thing is slightly dented in (like the blunt end of a chicken egg, but not as extreme) to match up with a bulge in the cliff. The cliff looks to be about 30' tall.

Beyond that? Except for the road (which seems to wind unnecessarily as it gets close to the fortphanage), there is only terrain lumpy enough to be difficult be tricky enough to walk on, but not bumpy enough to hide behind from eyes or arrows for at least 400 feet (not 300 as he earlier estimated). Past that distance? Scattered rocks large enough for a kneeling being of his size to take cover behind are the most notable features. A few scraggly trees and bushes also stand in pockets of soil that have accumlated in small dips in the rocks at those longer ranges. The town itself is about half a mile distant.

A little light rain starts to fall from scattered clouds.

((Note to self, but the PCs will learn this before it becomes relevant: There is a magical trap built into the cliff face that will somewhat explosively crack off pieces to drop down along a path 200' long and extending outwards at least 15' from the cliff. Naturally there is a 40' wide gap in the middle... but the 3 Fireball spells at -20', 0', and +20' along the face from the door would probably handle that pretty well...))
                              Last edited by Draco Dei; 12-31-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

((Been thinking about how to better hint at things, and resolving a flaw in the design of the fortress.))

There is an iron door in the side of the tower that faces the cliff. You unlock it with of the rune-engraved keys from the ring of keys that one of the soon-to-be ex-guards handed you. As one would guess from a look at the outside of the building, the door opens onto thin air. You crouch down and probe ahead of you careful with some object or another for about a minute... yep, thin air alright... perhaps intended as a sally-port for someone who can fly?

You shut and lock the door again and look out into the distance. Something BOTHERS you about this view, but try as you might to determine where there might be a problem in y'all's ability to defend this location nothing comes to mind. Something else then? Something missing perhaps?

You look towards the town... you see only the smoothed out part of the surround plane of stone that is what passes for a road from the town to the fortphanage. The local river (the only water source... hmm... that might be a flaw in the defenses better check if there is a well...) is barely visible running through the town approximately perpendicular to your line of sight. A small stone bluff juts out of the far side of the river... your eye is drawn to it, but you can't find anything particularly unusual no matter how long you stare.

Past the cliff? Bare rock until you get to wooded hills. Every other direction? Equally boring. Hills, forests, perhaps a meadow or two.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X