X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Battlenet has a voice chat option but it is basically the same as discord in that it is not in the game and you have to have friends lists and so on. The game itself only has the chat window.
    At least with Discord you can just give someone a link to click and they can join the channel that way. I'm surprised that WoW doesn't have an in-game voice chat option as most MMO games do these days.

Another problem with me joining guilds and groups is that I don't play games that often. I am more of a casual player, so I would not be available for regular raids and groups and my skills would be always lacking compared to dedicated gamers.
    While most of the people in the group are on fairly often we have multiple people who are disabled* and the occasional casual gamer as well so as long as a person is trying their best we don't care if their skills aren't at the level of our more experienced players.

*One has Parkinsons, and one had a stroke and is visually impaired. I still do well in most games but I'm not what I used to be before CRPS.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

A lot of different ones. For a while. we played WoW, EQ2, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV, and right now we have been playing a lot of Fallout 76 and Demonologist.

It's gotten a lot easier to invite people to Discord and many games have their own official servers where you can group with random people there. Also, I thought WoW did have its own voice chat. I know EQ2 did and even would move your character's mouth when you talked. It was a neat feature.
    Battlenet has a voice chat option but it is basically the same as discord in that it is not in the game and you have to have friends lists and so on. The game itself only has the chat window.

Another problem with me joining guilds and groups is that I don't play games that often. I am more of a casual player, so I would not be available for regular raids and groups and my skills would be always lacking compared to dedicated gamers.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    What game do you play?
    A lot of different ones. For a while. we played WoW, EQ2, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV, and right now we have been playing a lot of Fallout 76 and Demonologist.

yeah but there is no way to get everyone on discord when you are in a random group thrown together at the last second. WoW should have some built-in voice chat with automatic group channels activating when you go into a group or dungeon.
    It's gotten a lot easier to invite people to Discord and many games have their own official servers where you can group with random people there. Also, I thought WoW did have its own voice chat. I know EQ2 did and even would move your character's mouth when you talked. It was a neat feature.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

I'm in a group on Discord that RumTumTugger introduced me to. We usually have about 3-4 people on at a time. They can be a bit crude at times but they actually care about their friends.
    What game do you play?

Yeah, the text chat is pretty limited for something like that. Voice chat works better for most people. Discord is my current voice chat option because it works so much better than the competition. It still has its issues but excepting a friend of mine who is a bug magnet they are pretty minimal.
    yeah but there is no way to get everyone on discord when you are in a random group thrown together at the last second. WoW should have some built-in voice chat with automatic group channels activating when you go into a group or dungeon.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

I am not good at making friends in the game, So I just mostly play solo. Heck I even created my own guild that only my characters belong to!

I am open to playing with others in a small group as long as I already know them from someplace like Tweb.
    I'm in a group on Discord that RumTumTugger introduced me to. We usually have about 3-4 people on at a time. They can be a bit crude at times but they actually care about their friends.

I tried the dungeons. They have a dungeon group app built in, so you can just join a queue and be added to a random group of other players for a dungeon run. But that never seemed to work out. The only communication available in situations like that is the in game chat box so you have to try to keep reading the chat while fighting your way through the dungeon. There usually is no coordination, just a free for all and most times I just kept winding up dead and not being able to finish the dungeon.
    Yeah, the text chat is pretty limited for something like that. Voice chat works better for most people. Discord is my current voice chat option because it works so much better than the competition. It still has its issues but excepting a friend of mine who is a bug magnet they are pretty minimal.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

This kind of level scaling can work for some enemies and areas so you don't just destroy everything in your path with no resistance but it definitely comes with the problem that you never feel like you are getting stronger.

Dungeons and raids can be really fun but you need a group of people you can trust to do their job or you know will actually try to do their job. By not doing dungeons and raids you are missing out on at least half the game if not more.
    I am not good at making friends in the game, So I just mostly play solo. Heck I even created my own guild that only my characters belong to!

I am open to playing with others in a small group as long as I already know them from someplace like Tweb.

I tried the dungeons. They have a dungeon group app built in, so you can just join a queue and be added to a random group of other players for a dungeon run. But that never seemed to work out. The only communication available in situations like that is the in game chat box so you have to try to keep reading the chat while fighting your way through the dungeon. There usually is no coordination, just a free for all and most times I just kept winding up dead and not being able to finish the dungeon.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

WOW seriously dorked up the game since I played it last time (about a decade ago) - they automatically level up or down the creatures to your level when you are fighting them in most areas. So if you are level 10 fighting a wolf, the wolf is also level 10. If you are level 60, the wolf is level 60. I have no idea how that works in a group though since I played alone. The only way you can be higher level than the beast is if you are playing in a lower level area (like a 10-60 level area and you are level 70) but then you don't really get any experience for killing them. And in general it seems way too easy to level up. I got from level 20 to 60 in about a month.
    This kind of level scaling can work for some enemies and areas so you don't just destroy everything in your path with no resistance but it definitely comes with the problem that you never feel like you are getting stronger.

And once you are at max level, there aren't any quest lines. Just what they call "world quests" which are misc quests you can do here and there to earn gold and items (since you are maxed on experience points and can't earn more of them). That gets boring pretty quick. I think they want to push people into doing Raids and Dungeons. but I was never into that.
    Dungeons and raids can be really fun but you need a group of people you can trust to do their job or you know will actually try to do their job. By not doing dungeons and raids you are missing out on at least half the game if not more.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

I would do that as well if I could justify the cost of a subscription. I've had friends who paid for the account I was on but they stopped playing WoW and Final Fantasy XIV. I wish those games would either stop making us pay for subscriptions or expansions. I can justify one or the other but not both. Well, at least Warframe is free and has a major expansion coming out for everyone soon. I can always go back to that game after a while.
    WOW seriously dorked up the game since I played it last time (about a decade ago) - they automatically level up or down the creatures to your level when you are fighting them in most areas. So if you are level 10 fighting a wolf, the wolf is also level 10. If you are level 60, the wolf is level 60. I have no idea how that works in a group though since I played alone. The only way you can be higher level than the beast is if you are playing in a lower level area (like a 10-60 level area and you are level 70) but then you don't really get any experience for killing them. And in general it seems way too easy to level up. I got from level 20 to 60 in about a month.

And once you are at max level, there aren't any quest lines. Just what they call "world quests" which are misc quests you can do here and there to earn gold and items (since you are maxed on experience points and can't earn more of them). That gets boring pretty quick. I think they want to push people into doing Raids and Dungeons. but I was never into that.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

That's fair. LOTRO does the same thing, I usually buy the expansion if I really like the goodies that come with it but otherwise I will wait until it's free or heavily discounted.
    I would do that as well if I could justify the cost of a subscription. I've had friends who paid for the account I was on but they stopped playing WoW and Final Fantasy XIV. I wish those games would either stop making us pay for subscriptions or expansions. I can justify one or the other but not both. Well, at least Warframe is free and has a major expansion coming out for everyone soon. I can always go back to that game after a while.

Leave a comment:

• ke7ejx
    replied

And I actually just dropped my subscription when Dragonflight came out. Seemed like a good time to just drop it. I was getting bored and also they basically changed the entire interface and I would need to wait till all of my addons had released updates to make them compatible.

And I didn't want to pay for the Dragon Flight expansion. I was already paying for a subscription. They should give people the expansions for free. I will just wait till they start giving it away free to people like me in order to get us back as subscribers. They did that with the Shadowlands expansion before Dragonflight came out..
    That's fair. LOTRO does the same thing, I usually buy the expansion if I really like the goodies that come with it but otherwise I will wait until it's free or heavily discounted.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
    I've started playing WoW more recently. I'm working through the Dragonflight material and it has been a blast.
    And I actually just dropped my subscription when Dragonflight came out. Seemed like a good time to just drop it. I was getting bored and also they basically changed the entire interface and I would need to wait till all of my addons had released updates to make them compatible.

And I didn't want to pay for the Dragon Flight expansion. I was already paying for a subscription. They should give people the expansions for free. I will just wait till they start giving it away free to people like me in order to get us back as subscribers. They did that with the Shadowlands expansion before Dragonflight came out..

Leave a comment:

• ke7ejx
    replied
    I've started playing WoW more recently. I'm working through the Dragonflight material and it has been a blast.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

I played Star Wars TOR today. Just going though the tutorial bits so far, but I like it.
    I had a feeling you might like that one. It's probably one of the closer to WoW style MMO's that I play and enjoy. I used to play Pirates of the Caribbean Online, which was pretty good. Too bad that one has been down for years, I think it would have been right up your alley. The ship combat was very simple, and the gameplay on land was like WoW.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Ah. So far my favorite of the of the Diablo like games is Torchlight 2. The only time I think it feel claustrophobic is in dungeons. I wish stuff like Marvel Avenger's Alliance was easy play online, or the Marvel Omega game still existed. Those were good too. Although Avenger's Alliance felt more focused.

There is a partial isometric RPG game called Divinity Original Sin 2. Up to four players, and you can adjust the camera lot more, just not as much as games build with a third person aiming system in mind.

Lots of cool stuff coming out this year, so it is pretty hard to choose what games to get.
    I played Star Wars TOR today. Just going though the tutorial bits so far, but I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

Mostly because it makes me feel claustrophobic because I can't look around. But that's not the deal breaker, it's just a point against a game. I have played some isometric rpg games and liked them. Path of Exile just seems really dark and hard to see anything and I didn't even like the tutorial.
    Ah. So far my favorite of the of the Diablo like games is Torchlight 2. The only time I think it feel claustrophobic is in dungeons. I wish stuff like Marvel Avenger's Alliance was easy play online, or the Marvel Omega game still existed. Those were good too. Although Avenger's Alliance felt more focused.

There is a partial isometric RPG game called Divinity Original Sin 2. Up to four players, and you can adjust the camera lot more, just not as much as games build with a third person aiming system in mind.

Lots of cool stuff coming out this year, so it is pretty hard to choose what games to get.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X