World of Warcraft anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Warcraft anyone?

Anyone out there play World of Warcraft?

Rumtumtugger and I used to play it many years ago but I had to stop because it was eating up too much time.

Recently I have been wanting to get back into gaming some, and tried Everquest 2. But no matter how much I wanted to get into it, I can't seem to like it. The graphics look so dated and poor. Especially the character models. Ugh. And the quests seem so boring. I also tried various other free steam MMORPGs, but either didn't like the game play or the controls. I tried regular Evererquest (1), Lost Ark, Lord of the Rings online, D&D online, and a few others. bleh.

So I started playing WoW again and found out I like it so much better than any other. I started playing the free version (it's free up to level 20, with some restrictions, like no guilds, mail, or trading items between characters) and finally ended up renewing my subscription.

Anyone else out there play WoW? Either the free or the paid?

Wanna join up for some gaming sometime?

I have a 32 level Hunter, and a 22 Level Paladin, and a few lower level characters. It usually takes about 3 or 4 hours to start a new character and go through the startup quests. You end up around level 10 in a major city (usually Stormwind) at which time you can go off on your own quests.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Anyone out there play World of Warcraft?

Rumtumtugger and I used to play it many years ago but I had to stop because it was eating up too much time.

Recently I have been wanting to get back into gaming some, and tried Everquest 2. But no matter how much I wanted to get into it, I can't seem to like it. The graphics look so dated and poor. Especially the character models. Ugh. And the quests seem so boring. I also tried various other free steam MMORPGs, but either didn't like the game play or the controls. I tried regular Evererquest (1), Lost Ark, Lord of the Rings online, D&D online, and a few others. bleh.

So I started playing WoW again and found out I like it so much better than any other. I started playing the free version (it's free up to level 20, with some restrictions, like no guilds, mail, or trading items between characters) and finally ended up renewing my subscription.

Anyone else out there play WoW? Either the free or the paid?

Wanna join up for some gaming sometime?

I have a 32 level Hunter, and a 22 Level Paladin, and a few lower level characters. It usually takes about 3 or 4 hours to start a new character and go through the startup quests. You end up around level 10 in a major city (usually Stormwind) at which time you can go off on your own quests.
    I know some people who used to play, and I joined them for a bit. I have a cleric, a Demon Hunter, and a Shaman*. They don't play WoW anymore, they said they just weren't having fun anymore. Although one of them might play the free version just to play if he was on. RumTumTugger introduced me to the group I play mostly with now. Now I'm just used to using her other account name.

Oh, have you tried Star Wars The Old Republic, Final Fantasy XIV**, Guild Wars 2 or Star Trek Online? Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good too, but we don't play it now. In the past my favorite online game was Warframe. Basically magic space ninjas. They are about to do a huge new update too, so I am looking forward to April 27th.

Of them I'd say the first four are the closest to WoW. Elder Scrolls online is like if you mixed WoW and Elder Scrolls, and Warframe is much more unique. It's not really comparable to them. It's just a good free online game. Once you get to my level certain things are just so easy, and I don't have hardly anyone near my level that is online very much. It's a third person shooter game with RPG elements. Level up your Warframe, unlock the powers, and use the Mod system to increase the strength of your Warframe. They also have a decent amount of lore for those who are interested.

One of the problems we have encountered for a lot of games is that you have four player or less maximum groups outside of Raids or more players restricts certain content.

*I have some more, but I played so little on anything other than those that I don't remember them. I'd also have to reinstall the game.

**This one is cross platform which means we can play with ApologiaPhoenix. Not sure if your PC can handle all of these, especially Final Fantasy XIV, but it might since you were able to run Lost Ark.

Comment

I can't imagine putting time and effort into that kind of thing.

Even if I could get my hands on the Sword of a Thousand Truths that Stan Marsh made famous.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I know some people who used to play, and I joined them for a bit. I have a cleric, a Demon Hunter, and a Shaman*. They don't play WoW anymore, they said they just weren't having fun anymore. Although one of them might play the free version just to play if he was on. RumTumTugger introduced me to the group I play mostly with now. Now I'm just used to using her other account name.

Oh, have you tried Star Wars The Old Republic, Final Fantasy XIV**, Guild Wars 2 or Star Trek Online? Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good too, but we don't play it now. In the past my favorite online game was Warframe. Basically magic space ninjas. They are about to do a huge new update too, so I am looking forward to April 27th.

Of them I'd say the first four are the closest to WoW. Elder Scrolls online is like if you mixed WoW and Elder Scrolls, and Warframe is much more unique. It's not really comparable to them. It's just a good free online game. Once you get to my level certain things are just so easy, and I don't have hardly anyone near my level that is online very much. It's a third person shooter game with RPG elements. Level up your Warframe, unlock the powers, and use the Mod system to increase the strength of your Warframe. They also have a decent amount of lore for those who are interested.

One of the problems we have encountered for a lot of games is that you have four player or less maximum groups outside of Raids or more players restricts certain content.

*I have some more, but I played so little on anything other than those that I don't remember them. I'd also have to reinstall the game.

**This one is cross platform which means we can play with ApologiaPhoenix. Not sure if your PC can handle all of these, especially Final Fantasy XIV, but it might since you were able to run Lost Ark.
        • Star trek was "ok" but seemed overly complicated.
        • Star Wars TOR: I know I played it a few years ago but I can't remember what it was like. I might need to try it again.
        • I do have Skyrim but I never really got the point of that. It's just wandering around the world with no real goal or quests. Is Elder Scrolls online better?
        • Guild Wars 2 says it hasn't been released yet but it is on my wishlist.
        I do want a game that you can solo if you want and play with friends. I like playing with others, but it's always hard to get everyone free at the same time.

----

Oh Remember I was talking about needing a new graphics card but they were all too high? Well I finally broke down and bought one. A Radeon 6700XT. The retail is $479 and the cheapest I could find was on New Egg for $568, so only $100 more than retail which is pretty good nowadays. I miss the days when retail was the highest price you would pay for something instead of the lowest.

Should be here tomorrow and I will install on the weekend. I might end up beefing up my CPU too. It's just a Ryzen 3. I can get a Ryzen 7 for $261. But I will have to remove my entire motherboard to install it since the fan bolts on to a heatsink plate behind the motherboard. Dumb design. So I will hold off on that and see how it all works with the new graphics card.

I needed the graphics card anyway because I do a lot of video editing and converting and that uses the GPU more than the CPU. Plus for the gaming. WoW seems to work ok with my old card but it seems to lag and freeze when things get hectic and there is a lot of action on the screen. But I can't even run Halo Infinite on the old card.

I might try out Final Fantasy XIV once I get the new card installed.

Lost Ark was OK play wise and the graphics looked great but I really hated the isometric view and not being able to look around with the camera. Dang I am picky, huh?
        Last edited by Sparko; 04-19-2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Oh, Brum, have you watched the british TV show "Dead Pixels?" It's a comedy about 3 friends who play an MMORPG and are completely obsessed by it. It's pretty funny, but has some raunchy bits too (warning). It's on the CW.

Comment

• Star trek was "ok" but seemed overly complicated.
            • Star Wars TOR: I know I played it a few years ago but I can't remember what it was like. I might need to try it again.
            • I do have Skyrim but I never really got the point of that. It's just wandering around the world with no real goal or quests. Is Elder Scrolls online better?
            • Guild Wars 2 says it hasn't been released yet but it is on my wishlist.
            I do want a game that you can solo if you want and play with friends. I like playing with others, but it's always hard to get everyone free at the same time.

----

Oh Remember I was talking about needing a new graphics card but they were all too high? Well I finally broke down and bought one. A Radeon 6700XT. The retail is $479 and the cheapest I could find was on New Egg for $568, so only $100 more than retail which is pretty good nowadays. I miss the days when retail was the highest price you would pay for something instead of the lowest.

Should be here tomorrow and I will install on the weekend. I might end up beefing up my CPU too. It's just a Ryzen 3. I can get a Ryzen 7 for $261. But I will have to remove my entire motherboard to install it since the fan bolts on to a heatsink plate behind the motherboard. Dumb design. So I will hold off on that and see how it all works with the new graphics card.

I needed the graphics card anyway because I do a lot of video editing and converting and that uses the GPU more than the CPU. Plus for the gaming. WoW seems to work ok with my old card but it seems to lag and freeze when things get hectic and there is a lot of action on the screen. But I can't even run Halo Infinite on the old card.

I might try out Final Fantasy XIV once I get the new card installed.

Lost Ark was OK play wise and the graphics looked great but I really hated the isometric view and not being able to look around with the camera. Dang I am picky, huh?
            Star Trek has changed significantly over the years, and last time I played it the most complicated thing was the ship battles.

Star Wars The Old Republic is a lot like WoW, but using the setting of Star Wars.

The Elder Scrolls Online is more like you took combat a bit closer to Skyrim, but had a mostly clear quest and storyline system. Skyrim does have a quest system, but they are indeed a lot more cryptic about it. If you think Skyrim is bad about direction with quests you should see Elden Ring. The only real direction you get is that certain rest spots have a golden light that leads vaguely in the direction of something important. At least it is multiplayer and you can have them help you get an idea of what you should be doing.

Guild Wars 2 isn't on Steam yet, and probably won't be for a while. They have a separate Launcher you download for now.

Games that you can solo or multiplayer play*? I know of tons of those, problem is you are a bit picky on games. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it limits what I can suggest for you. your example of not liking the ability to change camera in Lost Ark gets rid of the entire set of isometric games like it. It rules out Torchlight 2, which not a free MMO is one of the best games of that type. It's old, but I don't think it looks terrible yet.

*Warframe is pretty good for this, but you will feel pretty limited at first. It's fully free to play, and you can even trade other players in game items for the premium currency they use. It is the only game I've played that let's truly play for free without insane time requirements.

Comment

Oh, Brum, have you watched the british TV show "Dead Pixels?" It's a comedy about 3 friends who play an MMORPG and are completely obsessed by it. It's pretty funny, but has some raunchy bits too (warning). It's on the CW.
              I have not heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Used to play WoW years ago, but I didn't feel like re-learning my favorite class (Shaman) after it got reworked into the ground Post-Cataclysm.

Tried Final Fantasy 14 for a while, but not a whole lot of people I know play it at the moment so... I own the game, but a Sub doesn't feel like it's worth it at the moment.

Closest thing to an MMO I play these days is Genshin Impact. It's a free-to-play Gacha game with Single/Multiplayer options, but honestly it's a pretty chill game I can yutz around in at my own leisure... well, when I'm not in the mood for one of the various games I've been playing as of late (Guilty Gear Strive, Trails of Cold Steel 2, maybe picking up Yakuza 0 again)
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                  Used to play WoW years ago, but I didn't feel like re-learning my favorite class (Shaman) after it got reworked into the ground Post-Cataclysm.

Tried Final Fantasy 14 for a while, but not a whole lot of people I know play it at the moment so... I own the game, but a Sub doesn't feel like it's worth it at the moment.

Closest thing to an MMO I play these days is Genshin Impact. It's a free-to-play Gacha game with Single/Multiplayer options, but honestly it's a pretty chill game I can yutz around in at my own leisure... well, when I'm not in the mood for one of the various games I've been playing as of late (Guilty Gear Strive, Trails of Cold Steel 2, maybe picking up Yakuza 0 again)
                  I need you guys in Warframe.

Although I do have a Genshin Impact account, I haven't played since last Summer's event. I also started playing Yakuza Kiwami recently, and noticed it has a 2 player mode where you play the arcade games against each other.

I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring with a group that RumTumTugger introduced me to. They are pretty nice, but they can get pretty crude.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I need you guys in Warframe.

Although I do have a Genshin Impact account, I haven't played since last Summer's event. I also started playing Yakuza Kiwami recently, and noticed it has a 2 player mode where you play the arcade games against each other.

I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring with a group that RumTumTugger introduced me to. They are pretty nice, but they can get pretty crude.
                    Warframe is one of those games I should try sometime... It was a pain with my keyboard at the time, but I picked up a nice cheap mechanical keyboard from work (I love the clickety-clack feel) and a Gaming Mouse, so maybe it's worth another go.

I've bought most of the Yakuza Games save for 6 and Like a Dragon, but I kinda want to finish some of the games I already own before I buy any more (... unless there's a REALLY Good Sale On).

... as for Crudeness... well, I don't mind, it's probably milquetoast for anyone who's been through High School (or Online for a long period of time). Heck, you should hear some of the stuff that goes on in my TTRPG Games.
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Warframe is one of those games I should try sometime... It was a pain with my keyboard at the time, but I picked up a nice cheap mechanical keyboard from work (I love the clickety-clack feel) and a Gaming Mouse, so maybe it's worth another go.

I've bought most of the Yakuza Games save for 6 and Like a Dragon, but I kinda want to finish some of the games I already own before I buy any more (... unless there's a REALLY Good Sale On).

... as for Crudeness... well, I don't mind, it's probably milquetoast for anyone who's been through High School (or Online for a long period of time). Heck, you should hear some of the stuff that goes on in my TTRPG Games.
                      Warframe is probably the best free to play online game out there. They have made a lot of improvements over the years, and really are free to play. If you want certain cosmetic items you have to pay real money(usually like around $5 for Steam Community items). You can earn the in game premium currency through trading with other players, and can make some decent purchases just through what you randomly get even pretty early on. For the most part the community is pretty helpful, but you will find the occasional troll or meta slave here and there. They have a big new update in six days, I look forward to it highly.

I have Kiwami 1-2, 3 Remaster, and all of them from the Humble Choice monthly bundles. Unlike other subscriptions I could cancel this one at any time and I get to keep all of my games. I also need to finish up some of the games I own, and it's a pretty long list. Some sales are just too tempting. Like if I see Dragon Marked for Death $15 or below that is an instabuy. I also need to get the Blaster Master Zero games, and the Azure Striker Gunvolt games. This month has some games I've wanted to play like the Naruto to Boruto Shinobi Strikers game. As well as some weird stuff like Chicken Police. Who knows, maybe it will be one of the hidden gems* I have found there. That extra 20%** off from having a subscription can make certain sales just too tempting.

Yeah, I've heard quite a bit from just my mom alone, so most stuff you typically encounter doesn't faze me. On average it isn't too bad, but some of them can get to the point of making things a bit uncomfortable.

*I really enjoyed GRIS, and Iris and the Giant. Even if the latter had a lot of bugs I just really enjoyed it overall.

**I used to be able to share that with someone once a month, but now they make you have a subscription at least a certain amount of time before you get the full 20% off.

Comment

I installed my Radeon 6700XT GPU today. Went smoothly. I tested it on WoW and cranked all of the settings to the max and it still worked great, no glitches or anything so far. I might upgrade to windows 11 while I am at it. I am making a backup right now just in case.

Comment

So armed with my new trusty GPU, I was re-trying various steam games.

Halo Infinite - looks awesome, but I find it a bit hard to hit moving targets. Will play some more.

Star Trek Online - I like the in person playing, the various missions, etc. But the space fighting is still as I remember, way too complicated and hard. I tried using the mouse and keyboard but it was impossible to move with any accuracy. I set up my xbox controller to handle the flying around and stuff and it is a bit easier but I still find it clunky. I think the main problem is that the camera is not linked to the motion of the ship so you are constantly having to reset the camera view, It should be locked to the ship motion unless you specifically want to look around instead. The HUD is also hard to master, trying to fly, while also controlling the throttle, fire weapons and click on shields and power settings. You need like 4 hands. And this is just in the tutorial. If space battles are an integral part of the game I probably won't bother with it.

Going to try Star Wars TOR next, and I am downloading Path of Exile

PS found a chase camera setting in Star Trek. whew.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 04-24-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

So armed with my new trusty GPU, I was re-trying various steam games.

Halo Infinite - looks awesome, but I find it a bit hard to hit moving targets. Will play some more.

Star Trek Online - I like the in person playing, the various missions, etc. But the space fighting is still as I remember, way too complicated and hard. I tried using the mouse and keyboard but it was impossible to move with any accuracy. I set up my xbox controller to handle the flying around and stuff and it is a bit easier but I still find it clunky. I think the main problem is that the camera is not linked to the motion of the ship so you are constantly having to reset the camera view, It should be locked to the ship motion unless you specifically want to look around instead. The HUD is also hard to master, trying to fly, while also controlling the throttle, fire weapons and click on shields and power settings. You need like 4 hands. And this is just in the tutorial. If space battles are an integral part of the game I probably won't bother with it.

Going to try Star Wars TOR next, and I am downloading Path of Exile

PS found a chase camera setting in Star Trek. whew.
                            The flying in Star Trek Online doesn't need much movement "accuracy", you just need to be able to get your weapons facing the enemy, and try to protect whatever part of your shield is weakest. You don't need to use most of the options in combat, and the space combat is I'd say less than half the game*. Most stuff is the land based combat other than moving from planet to planet. They have a couple of options that make it easier, and the game has practically no real controller support. I used to have a huge configuration that made it work for an Xbox 360 controller, but that took hours to get working, and more hours to fine tune. I lost it when the previous laptop I was using got destroyed.

As for Star Wars, that one is for the most part like WoW, but with the option to join ship based PVP events if you want. They aren't really necessary, but can be a nice break from the main game now and then. I haven't tried Path of Exile before, but I can give it a try. Although honestly it might end up being more fun playing something like Torchlight 2, which was made by some of the developers of Diablo. It often goes on sale to like a few dollars.

Did you ever check out Warframe? It actually has some pretty good ship combat when it comes to Railjack, they just don't have enough stuff to do there right now. I do have a nearly fully featured Dojo there, so let me know if you like it.

*I'm not that far in the game, but it seemed to be a pretty close mix between land and space, but mostly land.

Comment

Path of Exile is no good. Another isometric view game. Adding Warframe to my list. will try it later.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X