Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

How's your Strine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your Strine?

Oxford dictionaries has a little quiz, to test out how well you comprehend the Australian English. How did you fare?

Quiz: how good is your Australian English? (from blog.oxforddictionaries.com)

There are ten questions. My feeling is that nine of these terms are in reasonably common use in Australia (though some are becoming rather dated); and the tenth is well known anyway because it is used in a well known song.
    10/10: Transport me now.
    0.00%
    9: Beudy mate
    0.00%
    8: I dabble in the study of strange cultures
    0.00%
    7,6: I've seen Paul Hogan at the movies once
    75.00%
    5,4,3: You can't be serious. They really talk like this?
    12.50%
    2,1: I have no idea; I got my cat to walk over the touch screen
    12.50%
    0: 我很困惑
    0.00%

3/10

Comment

I was really hoping there was an official Aussie term for being replaced by an alien.

Comment

I got 7 out of 10. I feel disappointed since some of my favorite films include Dot and the Kangaroo, Mad Max, and Romper Stomper, and I recently watched Babadook, Chopper, Masterchef Australia, and The Almighty Johnsons.

Comment

7/10 "Pretty good! Put in a little more hard yakka and you'll get there."

Got two on SWAGs though

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I got 7 out of 10. I feel disappointed since some of my favorite films include Dot and the Kangaroo, Mad Max, and Romper Stomper, and I recently watched Babadook, Chopper, Masterchef Australia, and The Almighty Johnsons.
            I actually met "Chopper" once. His son went to the same little athletics as my cousin's children, and we were both helping out as officials. Spoke to him very briefly; and his wife, who was on the barbeque. Chopper died in 2013, of liver cancer. He was extremely controversial for his success in making a living from writing about his own life in the underworld.

Comment

Originally posted by sylas View Post
              I actually met "Chopper" once. His son went to the same little athletics as my cousin's children, and we were both helping out as officials. Spoke to him very briefly; and his wife, who was on the barbeque. Chopper died in 2013, of liver cancer. He was extremely controversial for his success in making a living from writing about his own life in the underworld.
              Wow, interesting. Yeah, I don't really know how to take him. He was obviously unhinged and dangerous, but from the film, and also news interviews I've seen with him, he came off as insecure, attention seeking, naturally good humored, and a bit naive. Its hard for me to figure out how much of his persona was an act, and how much of it was legit.

Comment

6/10, pure guesswork.

Comment

6/10 knew 4 of them solid, 2 others I got were... it's either this one or that one. I was 50% on those.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

7,6: I've seen Paul Hogan at the movies once

Actually it was from The Paul Hogan Show (which briefly aired on PBS in the mid 80s) that I knew what "Dag" meant. He played a character called "Super Dag" in several of the skits.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

8/10

Comment

6/10
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment