Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Archery Like A Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archery Like A Boss

Legolas, eat your heart out

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Lars would have killed Howard about 20 times over before Howard got off even one shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Lars would have killed Howard about 20 times over before Howard got off even one shot.
        Probably not - it's not the best video of him and he's middle aged by the time it was made.

Hill was one of the all time greats. Lars may well be one, too.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have read critiques of the Lars video that suggest some these 'stunts' were recorded many times and that while he is certainly fast his real life accuracy is not very good. Also there has been some commentary that there are historical errors in the commentary. I'll dig them up if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
              I have read critiques of the Lars video that suggest some these 'stunts' were recorded many times and that while he is certainly fast his real life accuracy is not very good. Also there has been some commentary that there are historical errors in the commentary. I'll dig them up if you like.
              Sure. The criticism I've seen so far has amounted to little more than "No way. I don't believe it."

And I certainly wouldn't be surprised that the videos only show the successes. He seems to be wanting to show that it can be done and emphasized that he hasn't the lifetime of training or the physical conditioning that the top archers in previous times went through.

Comment

Even if he made only 50% of his shots, he seems to be able to get off about 10 times as many shots as a standard archer in the same amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Even if he made only 50% of his shots, he seems to be able to get off about 10 times as many shots as a standard archer in the same amount of time.
                  Like comparing a sniper with a fully automatic weapon IMO. Also, I don't even expect them to be showing failures on this kind of thing. Kind of like that basketball dropped from an airplane. It probably took them forever to actually pull it off.

Comment

Did you know that when an archer missed his mark in the olden days, somebody would always holler, "Sinner!"?

Because that's what it means........

To sin means to miss the mark or fall short of the required standard. This term comes from a competitive game of olden times where archers would, in turn, aim at a distant target. If they hit the target, they were allowed to continue to the next round of the competition. But if they missed the mark (the prescribed target), they were called sinners, and were immediately eliminated from the competition.
                    http://www.oocities.org/heartland/ac.../6331/AW87.htm

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I've been shooting a bow since I was 12. One thing I can tell you about Lars bow is that it's a relatively light pull weight bow. That lets you shoot it fast and accurately. But it doesn't penetrate as well. Also the shot where he turns and shoots the other arrow out of the air, that's only possible because of the relatively slow speed of said arrow. My guess is that arrow is traveling around 120 to 140 ft/sec. Sounds fast but my modern compound that I hunt with, shoots over 300 ft/sec. I would like to see him shoot that one out of the air...
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        I've been shooting a bow since I was 12. One thing I can tell you about Lars bow is that it's a relatively light pull weight bow. That lets you shoot it fast and accurately. But it doesn't penetrate as well. Also the shot where he turns and shoots the other arrow out of the air, that's only possible because of the relatively slow speed of said arrow. My guess is that arrow is traveling around 120 to 140 ft/sec. Sounds fast but my modern compound that I hunt with, shoots over 300 ft/sec. I would like to see him shoot that one out of the air...
                        Maybe some more practice and he will get it done.

Comment

I'm not sure a modern compound is really a fair comparison, especially when he's attempting some sort of historical accuracy.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Hey Cath: Turns out there's an archery range just a few miles up the road from us operated by the county. Maybe they have classes or programs?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Conversely, I couldn't shoot one out of the air like that even if it had just come off of a 5lb bow - it's still a pretty neat trick.

I prefer recurves and longbows. Longbows are fun!

FYI: I'd guess his bow at 25 - 30 lb. Certainly not higher.
                              Last edited by Teallaura; 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment