Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Have you Ever Been Stung by a Scorpion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And in shoes and boots. Those Texans who I couldn't get to sign up because of scorpions told me that in Texas you learn to turn your footwear over and tap it against the ground to remove any of them that might have crawled in there before slipping them on.
    Yup - particularly my outside boots -- I have a pair on the back porch, and it's just muscle memory to pick them up upside down, shake them a bit, then tap them on the wall to see if anything falls out.
    But, yeah, same thing for inside - never slide my feet into shoes or pull on boots without checking to see if anybody's home.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, we let him go after that.

I have ALWAYS insisted on keeping things off the floor where I can -- like in our pantry - everything is on shelves, nothing on the floor. Scorpions really seem to love hiding under things on the floor.
      I've been doing that in hotels now since the resurgence of bedbugs. I've read that it is best to keep your clothes in your suitcase, zipped up (although that requires ironing with each change).

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I've been doing that in hotels now since the resurgence of bedbugs. I've read that it is best to keep your clothes in your suitcase, zipped up (although that requires ironing with each change).
        Hang them in the bathroom and take a steamy shower. It removes most wrinkles.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Roll your clothes up instead of folding them. Seems to keep out wrinkles. And takes up less space.

Comment

Scorpions don’t like winter, so, no. The worst I’ve had is a bee sting on my foot when I was about 5. Bare feet, playing on the lawn, stepped on a bee I didn’t know was there.

In our travels in the southwest of the US we did check our shoes. Mr. mossy has lived in Texas and Arizona in his previous life and knew about such things.

I understand that smaller scorpions are more venomous than larger ones?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

A funny thing I read in a biography of George Washington. When he was still a surveyor, he stayed at an inn and said the accommodations were atrocious. He claimed the bed was so "full of vermin" that he slept on the floor. I couldn't help but think he didn't get away from whatever the "vermin" was. Assuming the bugs were parasites, the bedbugs and fleas would simply follow him to the floor and attack him there.

Comment