Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Have you Ever Been Stung by a Scorpion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you Ever Been Stung by a Scorpion?

I have not.
    My wife has - 3 times.
    Extremely painful.

I ask because, yesterday, I was doing some woodworking in my shop and saw a scorpion crawling along the threshold of my shop door.
    He appeared to be glowing, but I quickly realized that was because the afternoon sun was shining on that west wall, and was "lighting him up".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yup. Stung like the dickens.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've been popped by a wasp once on the tip of my nose, but that was because I threw a dirt clod at their nest.

I've also been popped by one of those black and yellow striped hornets that looks like a yellow jacket on steroids.

A cow ant also. Watch out for those things.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Yup. Stung like the dickens.
        Are scorpions pretty common in your area?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Never been stung by a scorpion. But when I lived in Texas I found those little white ones in my shoes a couple of times. I always checked my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Never been stung by a scorpion. But when I lived in Texas I found those little white ones in my shoes a couple of times. I always checked my shoes.
            From time to time, my wife will walk around the house with a black light (UV) flashlight looking for scorpions --- they glow bright green when illuminated with black light.
            We had a boy - true story - who had taken off his swim trunks to come in the house for lunch, then went back outside, put on his trunks, and scorpion stung him in... yeah, you know.
            I never heard such agonizing screaming in all my life from a child!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Are scorpions pretty common in your area?
              Relatively speaking, yes.

When I used to be in sales for one of the big pest control companies, I never once was able to get anyone from Texas to sign up that had a scorpion infestation. They just sort of smirked when they said they weren't interested.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have not.
                My wife has - 3 times.
                Extremely painful.

I ask because, yesterday, I was doing some woodworking in my shop and saw a scorpion crawling along the threshold of my shop door.
                He appeared to be glowing, but I quickly realized that was because the afternoon sun was shining on that west wall, and was "lighting him up".
                Scorpions do glow in the dark. https://www.discovermagazine.com/the...be-one-big-eye

I didn't believe I lived in any scorpion habitats - but then found one crawling on my bedroom wall in Santa Ana, California. It was missing its stinger so I didn't recognize it right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Scorpions do glow in the dark. https://www.discovermagazine.com/the...be-one-big-eye

I didn't believe I lived in any scorpion habitats - but then found one crawling on my bedroom wall in Santa Ana, California. It was missing its stinger so I didn't recognize it right away.
                  Shortly after moving in to my present place, I was on the phone with a friend and being mid Summer hadn't put a shirt on yet. I laid down on the bed and picked up a magazine to thumb through while still on the phone.

As I opened it, a scorpion slid out and landed on my bare chest.

Not a big one. Medium brown in color.

I told my friend what happened and told him to excuse me for a second. I very carefully slipped the open magazine under the thing, stood up, and stepped into the bathroom (only a foot or two from the bed in that room), and then dumped it in the toilet.

When I told my friend that I flushed it he said he knew I wasn't B.S.ing because he could hear the obvious relief in my voice.

Comment

Relatively speaking, yes.

When I used to be in sales for one of the big pest control companies, I never once was able to get anyone from Texas to sign up that had a scorpion infestation. They just sort of smirked when they said they weren't interested.
                    I think we discussed this way back when.
                    After my wife was stung the second time, we asked our exterminator what we could use to kill scorpions.
                    He thought a minute, then said, "oh, maybe a hammer, a shoe....."

Comment

I think we discussed this way back when.
                      After my wife was stung the second time, we asked our exterminator what we could use to kill scorpions.
                      He thought a minute, then said, "oh, maybe a hammer, a shoe....."
                      You had an idiot for an exterminator.

Like spiders they are more difficult since unlike many other bugs they only step into any insecticide rather than crawl through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

This was my wife's best friend as she would go on scorpion hunts....

blacklight.jpg
                        It would really make the little fellas glow! (along with bird poop, and some other weird 'glow in the dark' things)

Comment

This was my wife's best friend as she would go on scorpion hunts....

blacklight.jpg
                          It would really make the little fellas glow! (along with bird poop, and some other weird 'glow in the dark' things)
                          NEVER use one in a cheap hotel room. If you do you'll never stay in a cheap hotel again.

Comment

You had an idiot for an exterminator.
                            Yeah, we let him go after that.

Like spiders they are more difficult since unlike many other bugs they only step into any insecticide rather than crawl through it.
                            I have ALWAYS insisted on keeping things off the floor where I can -- like in our pantry - everything is on shelves, nothing on the floor. Scorpions really seem to love hiding under things on the floor.

Comment

Yeah, we let him go after that.

I have ALWAYS insisted on keeping things off the floor where I can -- like in our pantry - everything is on shelves, nothing on the floor. Scorpions really seem to love hiding under things on the floor.
                              And in shoes and boots. Those Texans who I couldn't get to sign up because of scorpions told me that in Texas you learn to turn your footwear over and tap it against the ground to remove any of them that might have crawled in there before slipping them on.

Comment