Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mossrose
    replied
    Apparently, our generation (baby boomers) came up with "praise and worship" stuff for the megachurch to "entertain", and many of the young people are rejecting that for songs with actual theology and power.
    And yet that is the excuse we have been given in EVERY church over the past 20 years as to why the church is moving to the so-called praise and worship music. "The young people will leave the church if we don't get into this stuff! Wah!"

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I do know and appreciate How Deep the Father's Love For Us. Not familiar with the other songs you listed here.

And good for those that are moving away from the banal 7-11 stuff that is so prevalent.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I don't think I am familiar with that movement. Explain?
    Songs like this...

New stuff, but with actual MEANING and power.

Some of the younger folks (Gettys and Townend) were tired of the "praise and worship" stuff that was so shallow and repetitive, and have been writing new hymns.

Our church has been singing them - In Christ Alone, How Deep The Father's Love for Us, Amazing Grace - My Chains are Gone....

Apparently, our generation (baby boomers) came up with "praise and worship" stuff for the megachurch to "entertain", and many of the young people are rejecting that for songs with actual theology and power.

I really don't like a LOT of the new stuff - but these "modern hymns" - they really touch our church members when we sing them.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah - but that's OK - I don't know much more about that yet.

Are you into the "Modern Hymn Movement" hymns? Some of them are downright inspiring.
    I don't think I am familiar with that movement. Explain?

Leave a comment:

• Cerealman
    replied
    Do you have a smell associated with the color brown?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    All kinds of Veggie Tales songs.

Music is so meaningful and evocative. I often sing hymns to myself at night in bed. I was singing in the grocery store this morning. An employee asked me if I was ok, because he thought I was talking to myself....

In times of grief and sorrow, joy, and in every other situation, some old hymn will come to my mind and will focus my thought back to where they belong.....on the Lord.

We've come a long way from smelling colours, brother!
    Yeah - but that's OK - I don't know much more about that yet.

Are you into the "Modern Hymn Movement" hymns? Some of them are downright inspiring.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    We are the pirates who don't do anything?

Oh, where is my hairbrush....?
    All kinds of Veggie Tales songs.

Music is so meaningful and evocative. I often sing hymns to myself at night in bed. I was singing in the grocery store this morning. An employee asked me if I was ok, because he thought I was talking to myself....

In times of grief and sorrow, joy, and in every other situation, some old hymn will come to my mind and will focus my thought back to where they belong.....on the Lord.

We've come a long way from smelling colours, brother!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Kasha asks me about songs for stuff like dragons and crocodiles and such. And yes, I have songs for those!

I don't know very many country western songs, though.

But I am getting good at Veggie Tales!
    We are the pirates who don't do anything?

Oh, where is my hairbrush....?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I am quite infamous for coming up with a song on the spot for just about any situation.

In the pulpit, it will mostly be a gospel song, usually an older one -- otherwise, it's likely to be a country western song.
    Just this afternoon, I was talking to one of our Church members, and she was dealing with some anxiety - we had prayed about it, but she seems to keep dwelling on it.

I started singing, slowly and deliberately, "take your burden to the cross and leave it there".

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I am quite infamous for coming up with a song on the spot for just about any situation.

In the pulpit, it will mostly be a gospel song, usually an older one -- otherwise, it's likely to be a country western song.
    The Girl asks me about songs for stuff like dragons and crocodiles and such. And yes, I have songs for those!

I don't know very many country western songs, though.

But I am getting good at Veggie Tales!
    Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    She asked me one day if I had a song for EVERYTHING! I sort of do...........

Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I grew up singing. My whole family did. All my sisters took piano lessons......I did not. However, I can pick out a tune on a keyboard. My family sang together in church, and one of my greatest joys was singing with my Dad, a wonderful tenor.

Mr. mossy's mother was also very musical, and so he also is. No instruments, but he has a great bass. I directed a choir at one church we attended, and Mr. mossy also directed choirs. We sang to our kids. They sang. They still sing. My daughter is a soprano, MelMak is also a great bass. The kids both had piano lessons for years, and played in the school bands. Daughter played various instruments.......pocket trumpet, oboe and percussion. MelMak was pure percussion. And MelMak writes music! And arranges existing music wonderfully!

I sing to my girl ALL the time. She loves music and I am glad. As Martin Luther once said,

“A person who gives this some thought and yet does not regard music as a marvelous creation of God, must be a clodhopper indeed and does not deserve to be called a human being; he should be permitted to hear nothing but the braying of asses and the grunting of hogs.”
    She asked me one day if I had a song for EVERYTHING! I sort of do...........
    Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    That's very cool. I do not have perfect pitch.

But I can throw a harmony at almost anything without having to have the notes in front of me.
    Yup - I never "learned" harmony, but can just do it naturally. I love music.

I think I told the story that my youngest daughter (our pianist) started playing the piano when she was 4 or 5. My wife was trying to chord Amazing Grace on the piano - Mrs CP is an excellent flautist, but always wished she could play piano - and when she got frustrated and walked away from the piano, Jay just crawled up on the bench, poked a couple keys, played some actual chords, then started playing Amazing Grace.

We actually found a piano teacher who ALSO learned to play by ear before taking lessons, so she knew how to help Jay, and Jay became quite the piano player. I don't know HOW MANY piano recitals I sat through, but it was a whole bunch of Saturdays! I had to sit through nearly 2 hours of all these little kids hammering out "twinkle twinkle little star" before Jay finally got to play, and it was like - WOW!!!! While folks were applauding, I would always yell out "That's My BABY!"

Now, what's funny is that Jesse - the piano teacher - was fair skinned and red headed - BRIGHT red hair - just like my Jenny (Jay) so people just automatically assumed Jenny was Jesse's daughter!

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    That's very cool. I do not have perfect pitch.

But I can throw a harmony at almost anything without having to have the notes in front of me.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    OR, the pianist is good at transposing?
    That's funny, cause the pianist is my daughter, and she IS good at transposing, and we have one of those fancy pianos where you can just push a button and adjust keys. But she never has to when I sing.

Back at ya!

But you probably do have perfect pitch.
    So I've been told. The first time I ever heard that was when I was a kid and we had a visiting missionary - a blind man - and he asked me to help him learn one of the songs our church sang. He played the mandolin, banjo and fiddle, and as I sang, he just jumped in and started playing. That's the first time I was ever told, "you have perfect pitch". I figured he was talking baseball. Couldn't figure out how he would know that.

Leave a comment: