Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    It seems you would have to see the color in order for the cross-connection to your smellivision to work on various colors. If blue and brown look the same to you, then they would smell the same to you.

Maybe you have a Brain Rumor?

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Hymnody Lives

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah - but that's OK - I don't know much more about that yet.

Are you into the "Modern Hymn Movement" hymns? Some of them are downright inspiring.
    MelMak calls himself a modern hymnwriter!

I just remembered that.

Sorry, Sunshine!

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I smell tired.

Gonna hit the rack.

nite!

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    So, we've gone from smelling colors to singing songs to telling jokes.
    Perfectly normal!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

A hitman was hired to kill three people. He caught up to them all in the grocery store. He wasn't paid enough to use a gun, so he ended up strangling his victims.

Headlines the next day read, "Artie chokes 3 for a dollar at local supermarket!"
    So, we've gone from smelling colors to singing songs to telling jokes.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Same farmer goes to the grocery store, comes home to tell his wife how HUGE this store is. He tells her the store is so big they even have a manager of green beans. She accuses him of making it up, and he insists, "no, I actually met him!"

They argue, he keeps insisting it's true, so she looks on the receipt and finds the phone number for the store. She calls the store, and asks to speak to the manager of green beans. They receptionist asks, "which one - fresh, frozen or canned?"

A hitman was hired to kill three people. He caught up to them all in the grocery store. He wasn't paid enough to use a gun, so he ended up strangling his victims.

Headlines the next day read, "Artie chokes 3 for a dollar at local supermarket!"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Same farmer goes to the grocery store, comes home to tell his wife how HUGE this store is. He tells her the store is so big they even have a manager of green beans. She accuses him of making it up, and he insists, "no, I actually met him!"

They argue, he keeps insisting it's true, so she looks on the receipt and finds the phone number for the store. She calls the store, and asks to speak to the manager of green beans. They receptionist asks, "which one - fresh, frozen or canned?"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Yup, know that one. "Martha, Martha, Martha. The cows. The brown cows, the white cows, the black cows, the spotted cows, the cows, the cows, the cows..........."
    That works, too!

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    My favorite related story - you probably heard it - is the farmer family that moved to town, and he went to the megachurch to check it out.

She asked how it was, and he said "well, they don't sing hymns, they sing choruses".

She asked "what's a chorus".

He said, "well, if I say 'the cow got into the corn', that's a hymn -- if I say 'the cow, the cow, the brown cow, the brown brown cow, got into the corn, into the golden corn, into the corn, got through the fence, got into the corn, the corn, the corn, got into the corn' - that's a chorus".

Yup, know that one. "Martha, Martha, Martha. The cows. The brown cows, the white cows, the black cows, the spotted cows, the cows, the cows, the cows..........."

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I have a friend who came to the Lord in her late 30's, and had no church experience at all. She attends a church that has the entertainment up front every week, and she has said that because she doesn't know any hymns, she can only tell the difference between a hymn and a non-hymn by whether everybody is singing or not.

This type of thing is NOT corporate worship. It is entertainment, pure and simple, and not very good entertainment at that.
    My favorite related story - you probably heard it - is the farmer family that moved to town, and he went to the megachurch to check it out.

She asked how it was, and he said "well, they don't sing hymns, they sing choruses".

She asked "what's a chorus".

He said, "well, if I say 'the cow got into the corn', that's a hymn -- if I say 'the cow, the cow, the brown cow, the brown brown cow, got into the corn, into the golden corn, into the corn, got through the fence, got into the corn, the corn, the corn, got into the corn' - that's a chorus".

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I have a friend who's a pastor in a Bible Church, and we used to visit occasionally. They had a "praise band" leading the music, and they did some of that 7-11 music. I hated it. But I noticed that while they were singing that stuff, and we're standing there, MANY people would just be standing staring at the screens (where the words are projected) and not singing --- but when they would sing the occasional hymn, EVERYBODY would be singing.

I asked Scot - my pastor friend - "why doesn't your 'praise team' see that people are hungry for the hymns", and he would shrug and say "I try to tell them".

The 'praise team' would be up there, really "getting into" the 7-11 stuff, but not many people were following. If you don't have followers, you're not a leader!

I have a friend who came to the Lord in her late 30's, and had no church experience at all. She attends a church that has the entertainment up front every week, and she has said that because she doesn't know any hymns, she can only tell the difference between a hymn and a non-hymn by whether everybody is singing or not.

This type of thing is NOT corporate worship. It is entertainment, pure and simple, and not very good entertainment at that.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    And yet that is the excuse we have been given in EVERY church over the past 20 years as to why the church is moving to the so-called praise and worship music. "The young people will leave the church if we don't get into this stuff! Wah!"
    Yeah, I think I shared that our Church (where I'm serving now) was mostly old people (17 of them) when I got there, and I figured we'd be stuck being an "old people's church", but we'd be the best old people's church we could be. Strangely, we started having young couples and families visit, and they would write on their visitors cards "LOVE the hymns!" so, there's that

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I do know and appreciate How Deep the Father's Love For Us. Not familiar with the other songs you listed here.

And good for those that are moving away from the banal 7-11 stuff that is so prevalent.
    I have a friend who's a pastor in a Bible Church, and we used to visit occasionally. They had a "praise band" leading the music, and they did some of that 7-11 music. I hated it. But I noticed that while they were singing that stuff, and we're standing there, MANY people would just be standing staring at the screens (where the words are projected) and not singing --- but when they would sing the occasional hymn, EVERYBODY would be singing.

I asked Scot - my pastor friend - "why doesn't your 'praise team' see that people are hungry for the hymns", and he would shrug and say "I try to tell them".

The 'praise team' would be up there, really "getting into" the 7-11 stuff, but not many people were following. If you don't have followers, you're not a leader!

Leave a comment: