I Think I Can Smell Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I am quite infamous for coming up with a song on the spot for just about any situation.

In the pulpit, it will mostly be a gospel song, usually an older one -- otherwise, it's likely to be a country western song.
    Just this afternoon, I was talking to one of our Church members, and she was dealing with some anxiety - we had prayed about it, but she seems to keep dwelling on it.

I started singing, slowly and deliberately, "take your burden to the cross and leave it there".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Kasha asks me about songs for stuff like dragons and crocodiles and such. And yes, I have songs for those!

I don't know very many country western songs, though.

But I am getting good at Veggie Tales!
      We are the pirates who don't do anything?

Oh, where is my hairbrush....?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We are the pirates who don't do anything?

Oh, where is my hairbrush....?
        All kinds of Veggie Tales songs.

Music is so meaningful and evocative. I often sing hymns to myself at night in bed. I was singing in the grocery store this morning. An employee asked me if I was ok, because he thought I was talking to myself....

In times of grief and sorrow, joy, and in every other situation, some old hymn will come to my mind and will focus my thought back to where they belong.....on the Lord.

We've come a long way from smelling colours, brother!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

All kinds of Veggie Tales songs.

Music is so meaningful and evocative. I often sing hymns to myself at night in bed. I was singing in the grocery store this morning. An employee asked me if I was ok, because he thought I was talking to myself....

In times of grief and sorrow, joy, and in every other situation, some old hymn will come to my mind and will focus my thought back to where they belong.....on the Lord.

We've come a long way from smelling colours, brother!
          Yeah - but that's OK - I don't know much more about that yet.

Are you into the "Modern Hymn Movement" hymns? Some of them are downright inspiring.

Comment

Do you have a smell associated with the color brown?
            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Yeah - but that's OK - I don't know much more about that yet.

Are you into the "Modern Hymn Movement" hymns? Some of them are downright inspiring.
              I don't think I am familiar with that movement. Explain?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't think I am familiar with that movement. Explain?
                Songs like this...

New stuff, but with actual MEANING and power.

Some of the younger folks (Gettys and Townend) were tired of the "praise and worship" stuff that was so shallow and repetitive, and have been writing new hymns.

Our church has been singing them - In Christ Alone, How Deep The Father's Love for Us, Amazing Grace - My Chains are Gone....

Apparently, our generation (baby boomers) came up with "praise and worship" stuff for the megachurch to "entertain", and many of the young people are rejecting that for songs with actual theology and power.

I really don't like a LOT of the new stuff - but these "modern hymns" - they really touch our church members when we sing them.

Comment

I do know and appreciate How Deep the Father's Love For Us. Not familiar with the other songs you listed here.

And good for those that are moving away from the banal 7-11 stuff that is so prevalent.

Comment

Apparently, our generation (baby boomers) came up with "praise and worship" stuff for the megachurch to "entertain", and many of the young people are rejecting that for songs with actual theology and power.
                    And yet that is the excuse we have been given in EVERY church over the past 20 years as to why the church is moving to the so-called praise and worship music. "The young people will leave the church if we don't get into this stuff! Wah!"

Comment

I do know and appreciate How Deep the Father's Love For Us. Not familiar with the other songs you listed here.

And good for those that are moving away from the banal 7-11 stuff that is so prevalent.
                      I have a friend who's a pastor in a Bible Church, and we used to visit occasionally. They had a "praise band" leading the music, and they did some of that 7-11 music. I hated it. But I noticed that while they were singing that stuff, and we're standing there, MANY people would just be standing staring at the screens (where the words are projected) and not singing --- but when they would sing the occasional hymn, EVERYBODY would be singing.

I asked Scot - my pastor friend - "why doesn't your 'praise team' see that people are hungry for the hymns", and he would shrug and say "I try to tell them".

The 'praise team' would be up there, really "getting into" the 7-11 stuff, but not many people were following. If you don't have followers, you're not a leader!

Comment

And yet that is the excuse we have been given in EVERY church over the past 20 years as to why the church is moving to the so-called praise and worship music. "The young people will leave the church if we don't get into this stuff! Wah!"
                        Yeah, I think I shared that our Church (where I'm serving now) was mostly old people (17 of them) when I got there, and I figured we'd be stuck being an "old people's church", but we'd be the best old people's church we could be. Strangely, we started having young couples and families visit, and they would write on their visitors cards "LOVE the hymns!" so, there's that

Comment

I have a friend who's a pastor in a Bible Church, and we used to visit occasionally. They had a "praise band" leading the music, and they did some of that 7-11 music. I hated it. But I noticed that while they were singing that stuff, and we're standing there, MANY people would just be standing staring at the screens (where the words are projected) and not singing --- but when they would sing the occasional hymn, EVERYBODY would be singing.

I asked Scot - my pastor friend - "why doesn't your 'praise team' see that people are hungry for the hymns", and he would shrug and say "I try to tell them".

The 'praise team' would be up there, really "getting into" the 7-11 stuff, but not many people were following. If you don't have followers, you're not a leader!

I have a friend who came to the Lord in her late 30's, and had no church experience at all. She attends a church that has the entertainment up front every week, and she has said that because she doesn't know any hymns, she can only tell the difference between a hymn and a non-hymn by whether everybody is singing or not.

This type of thing is NOT corporate worship. It is entertainment, pure and simple, and not very good entertainment at that.

Comment

I have a friend who came to the Lord in her late 30's, and had no church experience at all. She attends a church that has the entertainment up front every week, and she has said that because she doesn't know any hymns, she can only tell the difference between a hymn and a non-hymn by whether everybody is singing or not.

This type of thing is NOT corporate worship. It is entertainment, pure and simple, and not very good entertainment at that.
                            My favorite related story - you probably heard it - is the farmer family that moved to town, and he went to the megachurch to check it out.

She asked how it was, and he said "well, they don't sing hymns, they sing choruses".

She asked "what's a chorus".

He said, "well, if I say 'the cow got into the corn', that's a hymn -- if I say 'the cow, the cow, the brown cow, the brown brown cow, got into the corn, into the golden corn, into the corn, got through the fence, got into the corn, the corn, the corn, got into the corn' - that's a chorus".

Comment

My favorite related story - you probably heard it - is the farmer family that moved to town, and he went to the megachurch to check it out.

She asked how it was, and he said "well, they don't sing hymns, they sing choruses".

She asked "what's a chorus".

He said, "well, if I say 'the cow got into the corn', that's a hymn -- if I say 'the cow, the cow, the brown cow, the brown brown cow, got into the corn, into the golden corn, into the corn, got through the fence, got into the corn, the corn, the corn, got into the corn' - that's a chorus".

Yup, know that one. "Martha, Martha, Martha. The cows. The brown cows, the white cows, the black cows, the spotted cows, the cows, the cows, the cows..........."

Comment

Yup, know that one. "Martha, Martha, Martha. The cows. The brown cows, the white cows, the black cows, the spotted cows, the cows, the cows, the cows..........."
                                That works, too!

Comment