Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANY Billionares or MANY Billionaires.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ocratic-party/

In the article (which contains the video of Harry Reid's comment in question) Politfact claims that Harry is reported to have said "one side doesn't have any billionaires", but Politifact claims he actually said "one side doesn't have many billionaires".

I put this here, instead of civics, because I'm not as much interested in the argument as the accuracy of the claim.

Listen to the comment by Reid and tell me what you think he said.

Source: PolitiFact

A reader pointed us to one of Reid’s latest comments on the subject from the Senate floor.

"The decisions by the Supreme Court have left the American people with a status quo in which one side's billionaires are pitted against the other side's billionaires, except one side doesn't have many billionaires," he said in a floor speech.

This comment quickly prompted the Republican National Committee to circulate a YouTube video of Reid’s comment, with the mock-incredulous headline, "Harry Reid Claims Democrats Don't Have Billionaire Backers."

At first, we thought Reid said, "one side doesn’t have any billionaires" -- as did some critics on social media. If he had said "any," that would have been a false statement. But a close listening shows that Reid said "many."

That makes our job harder -- how many of America’s 492 billionaires do you need to have the backing of "many" billionaires? And do Democrats have fewer than Republicans?

© Copyright Original Source

Clearly, he said "any billionaires"
    20.00%
    Clearly, he said "many billionaires"
    60.00%
    Can't really tell
    20.00%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Read his lips.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Read his lips.
      No new taxes?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you slow the video down it sounds a lot like "many". Here's a link to a website that slows it for you:

http://www.youtubeslow.com/watch?v=CT_uh46NukM

Even Youtube's caption service seems to agree that he's saying "many".

I don't see how it would make any sense of him to say "any". That would be a pretty ridiculous statement, and crazy easy to verify.

What's this all about anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          If you slow the video down it sounds a lot like "many". Here's a link to a website that slows it for you:

Even Youtube's caption service seems to agree that he's saying "many".
          OK

I don't see how it would make any sense of him to say "any". That would be a pretty ridiculous statement, and crazy easy to verify.

What's this all about anyways?
          I really didn't want to get into that - it's part of a larger argument about who spends more - liberals or conservatives - on politics.

I just can't make it sound like "many", because it sounds like the "v" sound of the "have" slurs right into the "any", with no "m" -- but my wife tells me my hearing isn't so good, so I was asking.

Maybe I should ask HER!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I really didn't want to get into that - it's part of a larger argument about who spends more - liberals or conservatives - on politics.
            Sounds like a pretty dumb argument.

I just can't make it sound like "many", because it sounds like the "v" sound of the "have" slurs right into the "any", with no "m" -- but my wife tells me my hearing isn't so good, so I was asking.

Maybe I should ask HER!
            Politics are so weird. It's like the only profession that I can think of where people go crazy tearing to shreds every speech the other side says looking for that juicy soundbite to spin. How does it not drive you guys nuts?
            Last edited by Adrift; 05-31-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Just listening to the video more clearly sounds like Reid said "any" rather than "many." It is reasonable, to me, that Reid actually said "many" the "m" was not being well enunciate.

Listing to the Youtube video it is clear that he said "many." Which goes to show I voted too soon.

Last edited by 37818; 05-31-2015, 09:57 PM. Reason: correct spelling of said.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                Just listening to the video more clearly sounds like Reid sayed "any" rather than "many." It is reasonable, to me, that Reid actually said "many" the "m" was not being well enunciate.

Listing to the Youtube video it is clear that he said "many." Which goes to show I voted too soon.

OK, so it's understandable that there's debate on this.

Comment

"one side doesn't have many billionaires".

From where I am it often sounds like the Republicans only have the Koch brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post

From where I am it often sounds like the Republicans only have the Koch brothers.
                    But money given by conservative billionaires is evil - money given by liberal billionaires is good.

Comment

But money given by conservative billionaires is evil - money given by liberal billionaires is good.
                      Sure took you long enough to finally figure it out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment