Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caskets Popping Up

It's happening again.

We've had severe flooding in the Houston area, much of which is at or even below sea level. There are a lot of older cemeteries around, and when the ground gets saturated, it's not terribly unusual for caskets to pop up and be carried downstream to somebody's yard, or business, or onto a street.

casket-found-jpg.jpg

http://www.click2houston.com/news/ca...e-say/33224880

Please no jokes - this may well be somebody's loved one's deceased body - I have no idea how old this casket / body is.

Most cemeteries in our area require a concrete vault to keep this from happening.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

This happened in south Georgia after massive flooding about 20 years ago. 438 caskets were disinterred from two cemeteries around Albany when the Flint River flooded. Until then I joked about how state law required caskets to be lead-lined in order to keep radiation from causing a zombie apocalypse. It's actually to keep them from popping up after a bad flood. Another problem was that many had only been buried a couple feet down with which has been banned since then.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Just imagine how distressing this would be for a family to get a phone call that Mom, who was "resting in peace", was located 30 miles from where she was "laid to rest".

I'll note, as a Christian, I recognize it's "only the tent Mom lived in", but still..... this really shakes up some loved ones.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We had that happen back in the late 70s, in older parts of Los Angeles and thereabouts. We had a record breaking rainy season from fall of one year into the spring of the next. 78 - 79?

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, there were a few bodies washed up as well...their coffins didn't hold up well.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Something that has never happened around here as far as I know.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Something that has never happened around here as far as I know.
            It seems to be only a problem in areas at or not far above sea level

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              It's also likely that places with loose soil would have such problems. Deserts, and perhaps places with monsoon type weather.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                We are also not prone to massive flooding, either. Unless you live close to the river.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Not to be gross, but newer caskets are constructed to withstand collapse and infiltration from groundwater. This "air tight" quality makes them pretty much a "balloon", relative to the heavier specific gravity of saturated soil, and in a flood, the ground cover is often washed away, just inviting a catastrophe. Hence, they often literally "pop" out of the ground, and if you happen to be in the vicinity, it can be a pretty frightening sight. I've never seen it myself, but I know a grounds keeper at a cemetery in Louisiana who witnessed about a dozen such events. He said even though he knew what was happening, it scared the fool out of him.

Comment

Cremation.

Comment