Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammering

Howdy folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to the following problem: I live in an apartment and sleep during the morning hours and every morning when drifting off to sleep I am awoken numerous times by what seems to be a hammering noise (I'm a very light sleeper). It sounds as if its coming from right above me but I listened at the door above me and that doesn't seem to be the source. Anyhow, I wouldn't really be able to do anything about the noise because it's not obscenely loud and they are hammering(?) during day time hours. I sleep with ear plugs and white noise but this seeming hammering noise easily penetrates those barriers.

What can I do?

Could it be "water hammer"? Maybe when folks are taking showers, air trapped in the pipes makes a "hammering" sound as water is turned on/off/adjusted....

Can you describe the noise? Is it steady, occasional, patterened......
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Could it be "water hammer"? Maybe when folks are taking showers, air trapped in the pipes makes a "hammering" sound as water is turned on/off/adjusted....

Can you describe the noise? Is it steady, occasional, patterened......
      It happens around the same time everyday and it is intermittent. There will be about 5 penetrating hammering sounds and and then nothing for about 30min and then another set. Sometimes the length between the hammering will be shorter of longer.

I know the noise you are talking about and its not that. It's literally like someone hammering a nail into a piece of wood.

Comment

How long does it go on?
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          How long does it go on?
          Every day and in short periods throughout the day, and it wakes me up every time.

Comment

Woodpeckers?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Could you not talk to the landlord or the resident who's above you?
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                Every day and in short periods throughout the day, and it wakes me up every time.
                A washing machine going through its spin cycle? Sometimes at first as the load evens out it can make a hammering sound.

Comment

That's your best option, IMHO. Record the noise and play it for either the landlord or the resident.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                    A washing machine going through its spin cycle? Sometimes at first as the load evens out it can make a hammering sound.
                    Throughout the day?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Woodpeckers?
                      Don't think so. The best description I could offer of the sound would be a "muffled hammering", and this could be the result of the proximity to my unit, as sound tends to travel in odd ways in apartment complexes.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        Could you not talk to the landlord or the resident who's above you?
                        I went to the unit above and it doesn't seem to be coming from there. The landlord wouldn't be able to do anything because the noise is not obscenely loud and they are "working" within lawful hours to make such noise.

Comment

The machines are all located in the basement and I'm on a much higher level.

Comment

Does someone have a home gym. Some of those stepper machines can make knocking noises as each step hits the floor. We always knew when the woman next door to us was on her running machine.

Comment

Does someone have a home gym. Some of those stepper machines can make knocking noises as each step hits the floor. We always knew when the woman next door to us was on her running machine.
                              That's definitely possible, but if that's the case what can I do? The sound penetrates ear plugs and white noise. I doubt taking to her will solve anything.

Comment