I'm afraid I discovered Reddit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm afraid I discovered Reddit

Oh, dear. There goes all my productivity. All one milligram of it.

Anyway, what's everybody's favorite subreddit so I can take a look at them?

I'm partial to r/SpendingMyTimeLiterallyAnywhereElseButReddit

Comment

I heard you had to be somewhat homosexual to subscribe to that.

Comment

I consider Reddit to be for people who are beneath me.

Comment

Reddit is still relevant? I thought that it had gone the way of Digg.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Why all the hate? It's a good curator of hobbies and internet miscellanea.

Comment

Reddit is ground zero for the fedora movement. What I'm trying to say is, you're dead to me. Don't call back.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Whatever, sheeple. Edited by a Moderator
                Last edited by rogue06; 07-07-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                  Whatever, sheeple. Edited by a Moderator
                  Ok look, I will give it a chance. Just give me a reason to waste the 50 seconds on it.

Edit: Found one.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 07-07-2015, 02:09 PM.
                  "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I tend to stick mostly to hobby specific ones. Askreddit can be fun to read through.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

psychology based reddits
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

is there a directory somewhere
                        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Since I play Smite, I occasionally lurk on the r/Smite one, but I can't imagine going to Reddit for discussion of any serious topic. :shudder:
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Hamster, I swear to Eru if you don't change your signature quote to attribute Tolkien, I will end you.

Sorry, I spent too much time in /r/atheism

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                              Oh, dear. There goes all my productivity. All one milligram of it.

Anyway, what's everybody's favorite subreddit so I can take a look at them?
                              /r/AcademicBiblical - As the name suggests, lots of very academic discussion about the Bible. A few of the regular posters are Biblical scholars (at least one Jewish scholar, a couple Christian scholars that range from liberal to moderate, and a couple nontheistic scholars). Unfortunately the mods (none of whom are professional scholars as far as I know) are largely atheist and in at least two cases anti-theist (brojangles, who's rabidly anti-theist, and captainhaddock, who's not quite as vocally anti-theist). The head mod, koine_lingua is a non-theist, but is extremely well read, reads Greek, and is relatively fair in his responses. He tries to the pull the subreddit to the center as best he can, but its hard because of Reddit's general atheist/anti-theist demographic bent, which sees a lot of posts asking "was Jesus a real historical person?", which has been answered so many times in the affirmative ("yes, he was a real historical person") that they've considered whether or not to delete any such future posts. You also get a lot of anti-Christians coming to the subreddit asking questions to help in their debates against Christians, and occasionally you get the same from the other side. Since the subreddit is devoted to academic, scholarly discussion, they discourage posts that veer into more modern theological concerns and questions. Overall, its pretty liberal, but its got some good stuff.

/r/AskHistorians I love this subreddit because the mods are super heavy-handed, which I probably wouldn't like in any other subreddit. Basically its a place for people to ask historians, or history knowledgeable people questions about history. The question must pertain to events that happened 20 or more years ago. Answerers MUST have reliable sources, or their posts are deleted. This means Wikipedia is pretty much out. A few actual scholars post here as well. Posters who've shown expertise in a certain field are granted flair to designate their specialty. This subreddit occasionally will host a panel of experts doing an Ask Me Anything pertaining to a particular historical period with the participants qualifications in view. So you might see a 6 man panel of experts (or very well read posters) who are knowledgeable about...say...Byzantium, or the Mongols, or the Industrial Revolution. Pretty cool stuff.

/r/ASMR This one's hard to explain. Have you ever watched a teacher as a child, and as they monotonely droned on gotten a relaxing tingle in your head or the back of your neck. Ever watch a Bob Ross video and receive the same sensation? If not, then you're probably in the majority of people who have never experience this sensation. If you have, then this subreddit might be of interest. Its basically a video subreddit of weird videos whispering, roleplaying, and acting bizarre in order to trigger that sensation.

/r/BinauralMusic I really wish this subreddit had more going for it, but basically, binaural audio is audio that has been recorded in special omnidirectional microphones that have been placed in a human or a dummy's ears to simulate what someone would hear if they were actually in the same room. I've been into this technology for a number of years now, and have done some of my own binaural field recordings (I'll have to upload some someday). In order for the listener to appreciate the binaural experience you HAVE to wear headphones. The experiences is 3D realistic, and very fun to listen to. Here's a very popular audio clip that demonstrates the experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA. Again, you HAVE to wear headphones in order to experience the effect (closing your eyes while you listen will help as well). Anyways, there's a binaural subreddit (which is also small), but /r/BinauralMusic is specifically devoted to people making live music while someone wearing a binaural headset sits in the audience or moves around the performers. Its pretty amazing. Word of warning, don't confuse binaural audio/music with Binaural Beats, which is some lame attempt to alter frequency tones in your ears so that you trip out or something.

/r/Cheeseburgers and /r/Pizza - I like food. These subreddits show pictures of some of my favorites types of food.

/r/TrueFilm - This is Reddit's film nerd hangout. If you want to discuss how fun the last Fast and Furious film was, it'll probably be better received in /r/Movies. /r/Truefilm is for deconstructing and critiquing films and film genre, and you're more likely to see posts on Tarkovsky, Herzog, and Truffaut as you are the latest Pixar or Michael Bay film. Its one of the few subreddits that you can discuss and have a critical view about a popular film on Reddit without getting downvoted to smithereens.

/r/ContagiousLaughter - Ever find another's laughing fit made you start laughing as well? This is the subreddit for that. Pretty hysterical stuff. This is a recent one that I found pretty funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=Yj-6nJCQYdo

/r/JohnPeelSessions, /r/Post-Punk, /r/listentoobscure, and /r/listentothis are some of my favorite music subreddits. /r/listentothis is the most popular of those subreddits; Its basically a subreddit that seeks to find and promote unfamiliar artists.

/r/FeelsLikeTheFirstTime - This is a relatively new subreddit that shows videos of people (or animals) experiencing things for the first time. So, for instance, you might find videos of deaf people receiving hearing for the first time through some sort of hearing aid, or a video showing Koreans trying American snacks for the first time. Pretty neat.

/r/PrematureCelebration - Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. This subreddit shows people celebrating early victories before actually crossing the line. Admittedly a little schadenfreude-ish (okay, a lot schadenfreude-ish).

/r/whatisthisthing - On your commute to work, ever see a pole sticking out of the ground and had no idea what it was for or why it was there? Ever inherit some old obscure looking medical object from a crazy uncle? This subreddit tries to answer those questions for you. Once answered, your post must be marked "Answered" So that everyone knows you're good.
                              Last edited by Adrift; 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment