What I HATE about today's "news"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Particularly CABLE news, but the rest of the MSM seems to do the same thing.

When there's a "breaking story" - like this morning's crash of an Airbus in Southern France - the media (particularly cable news) jumps on it like crazy even when they don't have any facts!
    They sit there and speculate, then admit they're "only speculating", they present preliminary "facts" that are soon proven totally wrong.....

And they can only handle ONE STORY at a time! Both CNN and FOX NEWS seemed to be in a race to say "something" - even if it wasn't known or confirmed - and have an 'on air' "expert" posing "what COULD have happened" and "what the pilot MAY have been doing".....

It's like the whole rest of the world comes to a complete stop while the "news people" breathlessly spew forth ignorance.

EVENTUALLY, a true (I would hope) picture actually emerges, but it's often WAY different from what was originally portrayed.

And "fact checking"?
    That's sorta what you're going to get with 24 hour news.

I don't think it can really be helped.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think they are so desperate for ratings and finding any sort of news that they all go rabid when a story happens.

Speaking of which, ever watch local news? It seems like they all cover the same stories at the same time! I was flipping channels one night and noticed that all of the local stations were carrying the exact same story about a shooting at the same time. Then later, I switched during the weather. All were doing the weather at the same time. Then sports.

Do they all have some sort of shared schedule or something?
      For all practical purposes... no. I got sick of all the thinly veiled ads for TV shows on that network or for local plays and concerts and the like. And why in the $&@#$%@ does it take three or four nearly 10 minute segments to tell me what the weather will (probably) be like tomorrow?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        If I had the money, I'd subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. I read the freebie Washington Post Express on the way to work (which covers the typical MSM well), and I read the Daily Digest the Patriot Post sends to me by email (solidly conservative). I also skim through the commentary at Jewish World Review, which I also get by email (mostly from the conservative side, but there are occasional liberal commentators as well).
        The news content of the WSJ is actually rather liberal. OTOH, the editorial staff is decidedly conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          For all practical purposes... no. I got sick of all the thinly veiled ads for TV shows on that network or for local plays and concerts and the like. And why in the $&@#$%@ does it take three or four nearly 10 minute segments to tell me what the weather will (probably) be like tomorrow?
          Yeah I particularly dislike the teasers. "Coming up. Man shoots his grandmother and police pat him on the back" and then you go through about 3/4 of the news before it "comes right up"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The news content of the WSJ is actually rather liberal. OTOH, the editorial staff is decidedly conservative.
            At least there's something of a balance.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yeah I particularly dislike the teasers. "Coming up. Man shoots his grandmother and police pat him on the back" and then you go through about 3/4 of the news before it "comes right up"
              THIS.....! THIS......! THIS...! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yeah, ours is like "And, coming up... See what caused a Harris County Deputy to discharge his weapon..."
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or...and radio news are bad at this too... (yes I can follow radio .....somewhat....at a higher volume than average)

"Today five people were slaughtered to death (oh really?) Inside their house. Police say it was a bloodbath (no!). More details later. And also in the news today, a new potion to prolong life!"

Comment

You know....bad news followed by good news without a beat...it sometimes makes awkward juxtapositions...

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      You know....bad news followed by good news without a beat...it sometimes makes awkward juxtapositions...
                      This morning's "news" on ABC-13 was plane crash info, followed immediately by "news" that Taco Bell is introducing a new menu item - the "chicken biscuit taco".

taco-bell-chicken-biscuit-taco.jpg

Film at Eleven!!!!!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, ours is like "And, coming up... See what caused a Harris County Deputy to discharge his weapon..."
                        yeah actually that is the thing that prompted me to start flipping channels during the local news. They were teasing some story I wanted to hear, and so I decided to check the other stations and found out they basically all had the same stories at about the same time, and the weather at the same time, and the sports at the same time. Basically the same show, with different anchors and reporters.

Comment

This morning's "news" on ABC-13 was plane crash info, followed immediately by "news" that Taco Bell is introducing a new menu item - the "chicken biscuit taco".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4846[/ATTACH]

Film at Eleven!!!!!
                          Yeah fast food restaurants seem to be getting pretty desperate to come up with new uses for old food. Hey, what else can we wrap a chicken tender in and charge 3 times the price?

Comment

yeah actually that is the thing that prompted me to start flipping channels during the local news. They were teasing some story I wanted to hear, and so I decided to check the other stations and found out they basically all had the same stories at about the same time, and the weather at the same time, and the sports at the same time. Basically the same show, with different anchors and reporters.
                            I think your video showed that they're not "anchors" - they are copy readers. I had long suspected, but that was pretty convincing. Even when they tried to add their own little twist, it was so laughable knowing they're just reading a teleprompter.

Comment

That sounds more like the opener to get you to read an old story. Why is the hero threatening the civilians! Look inside to see why!
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I think your video showed that they're not "anchors" - they are copy readers. I had long suspected, but that was pretty convincing. Even when they tried to add their own little twist, it was so laughable knowing they're just reading a teleprompter.
                                Yeah those op-ed pieces. But I was talking about even local news stories. They seem to cover the local news stories on the same schedules too. Fire story on channel 3, flip. Fire story on channel 11, flip, fire story on channel 32. repeat.

Comment