Presentation Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presentation Ceremony

As I prepare to stand as godmother (or Nina as we call it), I wonder just how common this practice is. Not baby baptism, confirmation, or first communion...a presentation of the child before the Lord by the parents with the pledge to train up the child in the way of the Lord, along with godparent(s). We've done this in my church for years, and I occasionally hear of another of another church doing so. Does your church have this custom?

Hang autocorrect....I'm looking for you...
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I am familiar with it. Only we called it "dedication".

Both my kids were dedicated, and our girly was as well.

Also, the church is commissioned to help the parents as needed by teaching and training.

Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 01:31 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I forgot we call it a dedication too.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I am familiar with it. Only we called it "dedication".
        Yup, we frequently have "baby dedications", although I always explain to the Church that, in all candor, it's really a "parent dedication", as the parents are dedicating themselves to the raising of the baby, and the Church is dedicating itself to standing with the parents. We have a vow that the parents participate in, then a vow that the Church participates in accordingly.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've never heard of baby dedications including godparents. Protestants can be quite eclectic, though, in what traditions they follow and what traditions they discard.

IMO a godparent is much less necessary these days unless one is living in an area where martyrdom is somewhat possible (not that a lack of necessity stops a tradition from being followed).
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I've never heard of baby dedications including godparents. Protestants can be quite eclectic, though, in what traditions they follow and what traditions they discard.

IMO a godparent is much less necessary these days unless one is living in an area where martyrdom is somewhat possible (not that a lack of necessity stops a tradition from being followed).
            Perhaps it's a regional thing to some extent -- it's quite common in Texas.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment