Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable shoes!

I need some.

They don't have to handle weather, but they do have to be rugged enough to handle walking on tile 40+ hours a week. I'm dealing with a couple of hours of cramping every day when I get home now, and I figure there's got to be someone around here who's dealt with this kind of issue before.

I've never been a "shopper" and googling this stuff is more painful than my feet. Help!

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    I need some.

They don't have to handle weather, but they do have to be rugged enough to handle walking on tile 40+ hours a week. I'm dealing with a couple of hours of cramping every day when I get home now, and I figure there's got to be someone around here who's dealt with this kind of issue before.

I've never been a "shopper" and googling this stuff is more painful than my feet. Help!
    Do they need to be dress shoes? Or is your academic atmosphere more casual.

You can easily spend $160 to $300 for shoes, but I'm guessing you'd want something more practical.

I like the Rockport Northfield shoes, because I can get them in dressy OR casual, and they feel so good even when new.

These sell for about $100, but I can usually find them for closer to $60.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Go to a doctor first and make sure you don't need orthotics.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, really depends on what you're looking for. I recently got a pair of Chippewa boots that were relatively cheap, and yet still (in my opinion) fashionable enough to wear in the office yet well built enough for light hiking. If you're seriously interested in good advice for style/comfort I recommend checking out http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice. A lot of their recommendations are a bit too spiffy and square for an old punk like me, but for someone working in a college atmosphere, you probably can't go too wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Do they need to be dress shoes? Or is your academic atmosphere more casual.

You can easily spend $160 to $300 for shoes, but I'm guessing you'd want something more practical.

I like the Rockport Northfield shoes, because I can get them in dressy OR casual, and they feel so good even when new.

These sell for about $100, but I can usually find them for closer to $60.
          Casual works better for an art school, and the part-time gigs don't get a say on how I choose to dress. Price is whatever it is. A lifetime of living frugal and a couple of windfalls have left me comfortably well off. I don't shop much, but when I do, I generally go for the best available on the theory you may not always get what you pay for, but you never get more than that. I haven't shopped for shoes in years, though. Grabbing a pair of Wal-mart specials when the last pair wears out ... doesn't count. The last couple of months have since taught me the error of my ways.

I can rotate a couple of pairs, but there's still two days a week I'm on my feet for 12 hours, moving constantly, and they have to be able to stand up to that.

I do need shoes that steer clear of my right ankle bone or cover it entirely, though, because it was pinned together 30 years ago — lifelong motorcycle enthusiast — turns out going too fast pairs up well with stopping too suddenly. So I can't have shoes that ride up right underneath that bone. Where do those hit your ankle?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Go to a doctor first and make sure you don't need orthotics.
            Thanks, mom, but no! I don't do doctors until I'm too sick to get out of bed to go see one.

Comment

Thanks, mom, but no! I don't do doctors until I'm too sick to get out of bed to go see one.

Then don't blame me if you get bunions..
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Then don't blame me if you get bunions..
                This is Florida. We don't do lumberjacks. Or oxes, either. Besides, I always heard that was a myth.

Comment

For comfort dress shoes, you probably want a pair of Clarks. Considered very comfortable. http://www.clarksusa.com/us/c/mens-dress-shoes or Cole Haans http://www.colehaan.com/mens-shoes-1

Comment

Comfortable shoes? Such a thing does not exist. I've been searching for years, and I still haven't found anything good.

Best thing so far is Crocs. I know a lot of people hate those though.

Comment

My estimation of you has just gone WAY up!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Comfortable shoes? Such a thing does not exist.
                        True, if you MUST wear shoes (and my consulting contract always forbade the client from requiring me to wear shoes at any time) then you want the least uncomfortable shoes.

Comment

Several years ago I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and was told I needed to stop going barefoot in the house, which I had always done. Found a really good pair of slip ons that I still wear, even though they are worn out and I can't find another pair like them anywhere.

For outside, I always wear Nike walkers. When I first started, they were Nike Airs, but can't get them anymore. Found the next generation of Nike walker is also good. Paid about $100 Canadian for them, and the store I usually get them from often has a buy one get another pair for half price, and I like to do that when I can. Then I don't have to shop again when they wear out.

And I do wear these shoes until they are falling apart.

So, I am thinking that any good quality walker would work for you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            And I do wear these shoes until they are falling apart.
                            Like THIS?

shoe.jpg (It's raining, so they're wet, and i've been out in the stables, so they're pretty dirty - but these are my "at home outdoors" shoes)

I started wearing shoes without the "back end" in them.... they're much easier to slip on and off, and I actually have a pair of dress shoes in nice condition for less informal applications. But I never have to worry about blisters on the backs of my heels, and my feet don't feel "closed in".

These shoes are from LL Bean. And, yeah, they're some of the least uncomfortable shoes I've worn.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Comfortable shoes? Such a thing does not exist. I've been searching for years, and I still haven't found anything good.

Best thing so far is Crocs. I know a lot of people hate those though.
                              I have no problem with Crocs, just don't wear them on escalators.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment