Interesting Business Interaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Business Interaction

I had acute foot surgery and my spouse and I were quite stressed. We had this gift card for several restaurants that would cover a meal for two easily. We ordered, I asked for an exception to something. We did not receive a call about it. Instead, I politely discussed my issue with management on the phone. I made a request for a similar dish, which was outrageously charged (instead of the original side dish $15 more. The take out person gave that excuse the upcharge two receipts, and food we did not request. Which was loaded with a specific spice I have some issues with. I called management back, I explained the terms of our original agreement, to which he offered ONLY a $20.00 giftcard or an order remake with a refund for the original over charge.
    The First thing I asked him, was to place himself precisely in the customer's shoes that day. This customer was cranky, in severe pain, and requesting a small meal for her, to be made in a specific way after a VERY painful surgery which required intubation (throat hurts a lot today, now) And a larger choosier dessert filled course for her stressed and anxious spouse for a fixed priced. When that didn't happen, she was requesting and told she could have a replacement for 2 dollars more than the original cost of the requested item.
    Economic Sense says offer a Full cash refund or a Gift Card. I negotiated for a gift card for the previous amount and stated that I would be more than happy to place a phone call to general management if my terms could not be met. (I probably still will given the gentleman's unwillingness to listen and poor management skills, not to request a firing, but to request this go better for a different customer.)
    We were given the gift card. Which can be used at any one of the chains owned by the parent company. We won't be back there. The food was pretty good.

In my mind, it is good practice in customer service, restaurant and hospitality service to put the customer first. I was cranky, and mildly apologetic. I won't put the name of the place here, because I imagine other people probably like the food. The Service was just hideous and sometimes the service makes the food.

If you were a manager, what should you do?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

I don't know...it's not clear from what you say if you were in a restaurant or ordering take out?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I called in to order take out. The manager then called back once my husband arrived offering to make a substitute dish.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        I had acute foot surgery and my spouse and I were quite stressed. We had this gift card for several restaurants that would cover a meal for two easily. We ordered, I asked for an exception to something. We did not receive a call about it.
        I'm still trying to figure this part out. What does it mean that you didn't receive a call about... about what?

What "call" did you expect to receive? I'm missing something.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          In my mind, it is good practice in customer service, restaurant and hospitality service to put the customer first. I was cranky, and mildly apologetic. I won't put the name of the place here, because I imagine other people probably like the food. The Service was just hideous and sometimes the service makes the food.

If you were a manager, what should you do?
          I'm going to be real honest -- the "customer service" that the restaurant provides assumes that they WANT that customer's repeat business. The way you describe your approach to this, it's possible the manager thought "do I really WANT that customer coming back here?"

You seem to be placing a lot of emphasis on your pain and suffering, which is neither the fault of the restaurant, nor their responsibility. Your statement "I was cranky" might be a factor in why the restaurant may have simply wanted to "cut their losses", and let you take your business elsewhere.

But, again, I think I'm not really understanding your issue -- it's possible the manager didn't either.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was the anesthesia talking.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

yeah I don't follow your original post either.

Did you want to use a gift card that was for that restaurant for a specific dollar amount and wanted them to give you a more expensive dish than the gift card covered? If so, then you should be charged the difference. like having a gift card for $20 but the dinner you wanted costing $25, you should pay the extra $5.

Or are you talking about some sort of coupon for a specific meal deal? Like "Two steak dinners with your choice of veggies for $15"

Comment