Food Shopping Big Families Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
    Yes. My parents keep toooooooons of things in the freezer, mostly meat of course, but veg and cheese and things as well because freezing it means we can keep it much much longer.
    The only trouble with that is, like when Hurricane Ike came through, we were without electricity for 14 days. FORTUNATELY, I had a generator, and I kept some lights in the house on it, along with refrig and freez.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I have one of those vacuum sealer thingies and it keeps meat from getting freezer burn and it will last about 3 years in the freezer.
      Yup, and we have the attachment for jars and containers, so you can vacuum seal stuff in those, as well.

Have you tried it for marinating steak? Put the steak in the bag with some marinade (storebought or homeconcocted) and pull a vacuum on it (being careful not to let the juices suck up into the tube) and let it sit for an hour or so.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And we buy the big bags of chicken breasts from Sam's, then put 2 or 3 of them into smaller bags and vacuum-seal them. We don't use chicken fast enough for it not to get freezer burn in the big bag. (And, years ago, I got tired of walking out to the back yard to catch and kill chickens )

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yup, and we have the attachment for jars and containers, so you can vacuum seal stuff in those, as well.

Have you tried it for marinating steak? Put the steak in the bag with some marinade (storebought or homeconcocted) and pull a vacuum on it (being careful not to let the juices suck up into the tube) and let it sit for an hour or so.
          I have a marinating container for mine. sometimes I will marinate chicken overnight in it.

Comment

The only trouble with that is, like when Hurricane Ike came through, we were without electricity for 14 days. FORTUNATELY, I had a generator, and I kept some lights in the house on it, along with refrig and freez.
            See, we never get that kind of trouble from the hurricanes 'cause we're too far north. Just a thunderstorm. At worst we've only been without electricity for maybe a day or two.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              See, we never get that kind of trouble from the hurricanes 'cause we're too far north. Just a thunderstorm. At worst we've only been without electricity for maybe a day or two.
              Well, hurricanes are one of the joys of living where I live, though I'm pretty much "inland" that we don't get hit too badly unless we get "the dirty side". That, and mosquitoes and humidity are some of the reasons I love where I live.

Comment

I have the issue of storage as well. I flirted with the idea of bulk buying for myself but I couldn't really see the point. Now reconsidering for other reasons.

Princesa, I noticed at Walmart glass containers with lids. Supposed to be oven safe etc. Might be good baking for baking your menus for the week and rewarming each day.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I'm quitting the microwave so I'm doing more old fashioned meal stuff.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

About once a week (or less) we have "cardboard pizza" night.

We buy some of the "thin and crispy" frozen pizzas, usually with peppers, pepperoni, several cheeses, etc... on sale for about $2.50 for a large.... then we add our own pineapple chunks, bacon, maybe some extra cheese, black olives, or whatever, and bake that.

I LOVES me a good cardboard pizza occasionally!

Comment

I am making chili this weekend. cheap, good and lasts several days (or you can freeze the leftovers for later)

Comment

Somebody else mentioned using a meal multiple times. We do that, but with variation...

If I'm grilling steak, I'll purposely grill more steak than we'll eat, and use the leftover to make Cowboy Sirloin Stew (or whatever) -- or, grilled chicken will become Chicken Sausage Gumbo. If we're having Baked Potatoes, we make more than we'll eat, and use the leftovers for Potato Soup or even Potato Skins for snacks (the "meat" of the potato for the soup, and the skins for ... well.. use your imagination. )

We do this for our Wednesday Night meals at Church, too... we use lots of leftovers. One day, one of our men, who was a butcher, donated a bunch of Rib Eye Steak to grill... it was GREAT!!!! And one of our members asked, "wow, this is good --- what did THIS used to be?" I just told him "a cow".

Comment

About once a week (or less) we have "cardboard pizza" night.

We buy some of the "thin and crispy" frozen pizzas, usually with peppers, pepperoni, several cheeses, etc... on sale for about $2.50 for a large.... then we add our own pineapple chunks, bacon, maybe some extra cheese, black olives, or whatever, and bake that.

I LOVES me a good cardboard pizza occasionally!
                          I'm spoiled. Wife figured out how to make really good homemade pizza using the breadmaker. Does require about 15 minutes of working the dough, but the results are magnificent!
                          No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment