BEST VEHICLE you ever owned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST VEHICLE you ever owned!

Currently, I drive - besides an assortment of pickup trucks - a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer that still looks pretty new, and has 268,000 miles on it. Runs GREAT, and even with the V8, it gets just under 20 mpg. Wife thinks it's time for a new vehicle, but I haven't had a car payment on this one in over 5 years - it's kinda nice driving a "free" car.

Plenty roomy, seats 4 in "captain's chairs", and storage in the rear. (there are additional fold up seats in the rear, but I almost never use them, except for grandkids) All leather interior - I probably will get the front seats redone, because my black jeans have pretty much discolored the leather of the driver's seat. That will be about $1200.

I have had a couple of semi-major repairs - left rear hub/bearings about $600, and a convoluted radiator hose about $500 - but other than that, GREAT shape.

The other vehicles I would put in the top three of vehicles I have owned...

'69 Mercury Cyclone with a 351cid Cleveland engine and 4 on the floor.

'53 Oldsmobile Deluxe with features "of the future", like an "electric eye" that watched oncoming headlights to automatically dim your own, and a floor button next to the manual dimmer switch that would "hands free" change the radio station.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Does my old helicopter tricycle count as a "vehicle" in this thread?

Comment

The best mechanically? My 2000 Saturn SL2 or my 1990 Toyota Camry. Both cars needed VERY little repair work. Debating on what to do with the Saturn right now.
      My favorite car though was my 1996 Wine colored Buick Skylark Gran Sport.....Oh I loved her.......
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My Corolla - I'd still be driving it were it not for a texting college kid.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Ironically my best vehicle is my worst. My 2004 Jetta station wagon (complete with diesel engine and manual transmission) turns 11 in another month or so. On one hand, the four grand I spent in repairs two years ago still smarts. OTOH... 11 years and 308,000 miles. I won't say it's running real good in our sub-zero temps (F not Canadian degrees) but it still moves.

Heck both my Toyota's have needed work before 100k. The truck needed a diff rebuilt, and the Camry ate a brake pad. The Jetta trouped past 100k before needing anything [Then it needed stuff yearly.]
          No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

My Corolla had 435,000 on it... then a kid rear-ended me.

I miss that car.

But the kid was okay - after surgery - so it's alright...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I have had chevys, fords, dodge, and pontiac cars throughout my life. Always been a "murican car" dude.

But this last car I got is a Kia Sportage in 2012. So far it has been the best car I have ever owned. Made really nice, and no problems at all. All I have done to it so far is standard maintenance like oil changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I have had chevys, fords, dodge, and pontiac cars throughout my life. Always been a "murican car" dude.

But this last car I got is a Kia Sportage in 2012. So far it has been the best car I have ever owned. Made really nice, and no problems at all. All I have done to it so far is standard maintenance like oil changes.
                You've only had it since 2012 and ALREADY changed oil?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  You've only had it since 2012 and ALREADY changed oil?
                  every 4,000 miles --- Although the kia service center is now saying that I can go up to 7,000 miles between changes.

Comment

every 4,000 miles --- Although the kia service center is now saying that I can go up to 7,000 miles between changes.
                    How many miles ya got on it, and did you buy it brand new?

Comment

How many miles ya got on it, and did you buy it brand new?
                      about 24,000 miles and I bought it fresh off the delivery truck.

Comment

about 24,000 miles and I bought it fresh off the delivery truck.
                        Cool - I think I'll take a look at one - they don't make Mercury Mountaineers anymore.

I had a 2003 Mountaineer, and I liked it so much I bought a 2006 exactly like it.

Comment

Cool - I think I'll take a look at one - they don't make Mercury Mountaineers anymore.

I had a 2003 Mountaineer, and I liked it so much I bought a 2006 exactly like it.
                          The sportage is supposed to be an small SUV, but it looks more like a large car. It is on a car frame.

hero_sportage_2014--kia-960x.jpg

Not really good for hauling anything big. But it has a lot of pickup and power even though I have a standard 4 cylinder on it. It will actually shove me back in my seat when I step on the gas from a stop. But you can get it in a 6 cyl and also in 4 wheel drive. And the Serento is their larger SUV model. my brother has that one and likes it a lot. In fact, after I got mine, both of my brothers got kia's too. copycats.

Comment

The sportage is supposed to be an small SUV, but it looks more like a large car. It is on a car frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4180[/ATTACH]

Not really good for hauling anything big. But it has a lot of pickup and power even though I have a standard 4 cylinder on it. It will actually shove me back in my seat when I step on the gas from a stop. But you can get it in a 6 cyl and also in 4 wheel drive. And the Serento is their larger SUV model. my brother has that one and likes it a lot. In fact, after I got mine, both of my brothers got kia's too. copycats.
                            I think when KIA first came up, they were thought of as Korean Junk, no? But I see really good reviews over the past decade or so.

Comment

I think when KIA first came up, they were thought of as Korean Junk, no? But I see really good reviews over the past decade or so.
                              Yep. My brother had a Kia sportage back when they first came out and it was a piece of crap. He got rid of it after a year because it was constantly in the shop. But since about the last 6 or 7 years they have really become good quality vehicles at reasonable prices. I compared all sorts of small SUVs, including Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc. and test drove most of them, and was most impressed with the Kia.

Comment