I hate meeting new people(College)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate meeting new people(College)

I'll be going to Bemidji State University soon and possibly major in Sociology(cause math is dumb) and minor in music. http://www.bemidjistate.edu/
    Also to help with their terrible racial diversity,but anyway I was wondering how did you guys survive college and make new friends and such?
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

I managed, but who knows how? Not I.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
      I was wondering how did you guys survive college and make new friends and such?
      I knew a gal from Bemidji in college. She made friends by leaving Minnesota.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I managed, but who knows how? Not I.
        Did you party hard/study hard?
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          I knew a gal from Bemidji in college. She made friends by leaving Minnesota.

Hope that helps.
          I'm from Georgia so meh.

Comment

I'll be going to Bemidji State University soon and possibly major in Sociology(cause math is dumb) and minor in music. http://www.bemidjistate.edu/
            Also to help with their terrible racial diversity,but anyway I was wondering how did you guys survive college and make new friends and such?
            You'll do just fine as long as you don't go around declaring yourself King of BSU

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              You'll do just fine as long as you don't go around declaring yourself King of BSU
              So don't play the race card?

Comment

I made friends in college... slowly. I usually ate alone in my first semester or so, and only slowly started to figure out that that's where a lot of the social life was (not counting the party scene, which... I just never liked). I was able to make friends through my dorm, a few of my classes (study groups are not a bad opportunity) but most of all through religious groups like the Knights of Columbus and liturgical/devotional groups and events. I sort of worked my way into social circles that had people whose company I liked.

Sometimes people become friends just because of things like... being the only ones in the dining hall reaaally early in the morning. Or being at the gym consistently at the same time (need someone to spot?). Build your routine around activities you like and people whose company you enjoy.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I'll be going to Bemidji State University soon and possibly major in Sociology
                  Are the uniforms free?

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I didn't want friends but people started talking to me anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it (unless you're as weird in real life as you are here).
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      I didn't want friends but people started talking to me anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it (unless you're as weird in real life as you are here).
                      From a weird guy to another weird guy, I'm pretty quiet and my friends often force me to be social.

Comment

From a weird guy to another weird guy, I'm pretty quiet and my friends often force me to be social.
                        So how did you make those friends?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          So how did you make those friends?
                          By taking a job at Rogue Tech and manufacturing them from spare parts and such, obviously.

In all seriousness, Cereal, I'm not fond of the expression "making friends." Maybe some people are so charismatic and gregarious that they feel like they have a locus of control in creating relationships, but for people like me, it's always seemed like friendships just sort of happen. You meet a few people here and there whose presence you don't hate being around, you exchange a few words and pleasantries, somehow or other end up spending some time together, and then boom, you're friends. Just sneaks up on you like Mossy's old age.

So as far as stumbling into new friendships (seemingly a far more accurate expression), there's really not much I can recommend other than "Show more social presence than a hermit." See if you can take some smaller-sized classes that offer opportunity for discussions or group projects, rather than just lectures and tests all the time. Offer to help other students if you see them struggling with something. Join religious organizations or clubs, if there's one for something you're really passionate about and would possibly enjoy. Extend your personal interactions beyond reading poor suggestion posts from strangers on the Internet, because having an introvert like myself try to offer advice on friendship is marginally akin to listening to Charlie Sheen lecture about sobriety.

But hey, you might have at least one thing going for you--I've never met a music student who had trouble finding friends. This is dabbling in a bit of stereotype, sure, but most music students I know tend to be great at warmly inviting others and fostering community, even if they're on the introverted side. Something about throwing all one's energy in an artistic field of passion like music tends to really make one keen to other people who share that passion.
                          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

You want a degree in sociology and don't know how to make friends?

My advice, get a degree in something you can actually earn money at. Academic degrees are good if you want to be a teacher, but that is about it.

As far as making friends, you seem like a nice guy, and you have a good sense of humor. Just be yourself, talk to people in your classes, and pretty soon you will have friends in college.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                              By taking a job at Rogue Tech and manufacturing them from spare parts and such, obviously.
                              That's now I get my minions not friends.

gun-minion.gif
                              The rogue tech minion gun

Sure I coulda made a minion creation booth or chamber but where would be the fun in that? Besides turning any and everything into a weapon is the rogue tech way. It's kind of our trademark

For instance. Our line of baby strollers.

roguetechstroll.jpg

Okay. Maybe there isn't room for a baby but were working on that.

Comment