How did you get to your career?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get to your career?

Just curious as to the path's people took to their careers.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Got married. Had babies.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Doors kept opening.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well I started going to college to become a physical therapist. I had sensory issues when I was younger and I didn't say a word until I was 4 years old; it was through PT, OT, and speech therapy that I was able to eventually excel enough in high school where I almost was in the top 10 percentile (the childhood psychiatrist told my mom that I would always be "average"). My degree would have taken 6 years to complete (3 years undergrad for a medical administrative degree, 3 years in grueling doctorate school). I graduated from undergrad on time but the real changes happened outside the classroom. My politics took a near 180 degree turn and I returned to the faith of my childhood but with intellectual rigor (I would spend time I should have been studying looking at theology books on the fourth floor of my college library and proceed to check them out). I went on my first date within the first week of classes, a beautiful conservative Lutheran girl, someone I silently mocked for her beliefs when I started college as an anti-theist, someone I kick myself for messing up with today as a Christian.

Once my graduate studies began, it was a different experience. The program difficulty was absurd; you are only allowed one class to be below a 3.0 or else you needed to argue your case to stay in the program. I had to nearly retake every class over the course of an entire year. I worked my butt off. I practically lived with the cadavers in the gross anatomy lab (taking this class twice was torture). I sat and taught neuroanatomy to my cat. I passed them all. For all the difficulty, I persevered in that everything seemed to work out in the end for me and that I was in my first real relationship. Then I had to take the next semester of new material. I started getting into arguments with my girlfriend over how much time I was spending with my studies and how I told her that during the summer I would only be able to see her once or twice a week. We fought over how I didn't have a job, something the college specifically told us not to have. We fought over how her friends were getting engaged and how I didn't get her a promise ring. She broke up with me during exam week saying I wasn't mature enough to be the father of her future children. I got a C in one class. I was finished.

I went onto getting certification as a physical therapist assistant. The head of the program at my old college suggested I do so, as it was less intensive and that I would interact with patients more instead of filling out medical paperwork. I thrived. My whole class was friends with eachother and I made some really good friends as I came out of my shell. I went to parties. My classmates thought I was a genius, but in reality it was just because I had to relearn all the stuff I had to at my old college.

Then came the clinicals. My first two went well though both of my evaluators told me to work on my communication skills. My third clinical was horrible. While I had patients thank me for all the help I gave them, it was 10 hours in a small windowless room with someone breathing down your neck at all times, hypercritical of everything I did. She failed me by one tickmark in two categories. I had to retake the clinical at a different site. When I started my fourth clinical, I thought it was going to be my favorite one yet. My instructor was young and non-threatening, I had friends completing their own rotations there. I was told that I was doing very well and that I just needed to look out for some minor common sense issues. Two weeks in on a sunday (two days later) I look at my midterm report. She blasted me. Rated me the lowest you possibly could on Safety and Clinical Problem Solving. Said that physical therapy wasn't for me. The next day I go into the clinic and the one teacher from the program is there. I'm told that I'm out of the program. I felt utterly betrayed and furious. I cried. I felt my dreams, the ones I worked on for seven years go up in smoke. After speaking with the teacher, I grab my lunch and march out; not deigning to speak or even look at my evaluator.

Its through the support of my family that I haven't gone completely insane. They never threatened to kick me out but help me in writing resumes, acting as references, and practicing interview skills with me. I'm also needed around the house with both my parents in their 60s.

So here I am. I just turned 26, living with my parents, trying to find a job in the medical field for clerical work. While my peers are getting married, buying houses, and having children, I feel like a man child. I'm getting interviews (a lot according to my sisters who work in education), but no job yet.
        Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
          I'm kinda curious about your age ... because most folks my age would answer, "Which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            I'm kinda curious about your age ... because most folks my age would answer, "Which one?"
            Yeah.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              Graduated High School(soon)
              Slept in class
              Took AP courses
              FL Studio
              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Doors kept opening.
                Did they not measure the doors correctly?
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Doors closed and I fell into a job which turned into a job I ultimately retired from in 2000.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Doors closed and I fell into a job which turned into a job I ultimately retired from in 2000.
                    What do you do now?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                      What do you do now?

Honey.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Honey.
                        Does Mr. mossy know that you're flirting with someone young enough to... well, you know.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wouldn't consider being a mod on here a "career".

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Honey.
                            Yes, Darlin?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Does Mr. mossy know that you're flirting with someone young enough to... well, you know.
                              This part here obviously used to keep from breaking the limitation on post length.

Comment