No announcement yet.

How did you get to your career?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took electrical work in high school vocational class.
    Then went to electronics school. worked on the side installing burglar alarms, repairing tv's and building computers.
    Got a full time job wiring electrical panels and building ultrasonic generators for a manufacturing company. Moved up to designing the electrical of the machines using drafting and then autocad. Got laid off
    Then went to college for graphic design.
    Got job as creative director of a marketing firm, and editing videos.
    Company closed down.
    Got a job working at law firm doing litigation support, which involves much of what I did previously: computer work, video editing, graphic design, etc.

Comment

I chose electrical engineering for my college degree, not knowing much about it other than it sounded interesting. Fortunately, I happened to never change it, and got my degree four years later. The summer after I graduated, I was browsing the phonebook for possible job applications in desperation, and stumbled upon an entry that sounded promising. I googled them, found their website, and applied for an open position. I did all this without realizing that the office I'd looked up in the phonebook had actually closed several months before. Anyway, a month or so later I got an offer to work in the company's headquarters, about 300 miles away. Been there since.

Ultimately, I have my job because my family had an outdated phonebook.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I knew early on that God was calling me into the Ministry, but I always thought I could serve Him in different ways.

When I became a Police Officer (as a result of my juvenile delinquency and bad experiences with cops - I wanted to prove I could be a GOOD cop) I believe I could serve God with a Ministry as a cop.

I loved police work, but it began to consume me, and when my first child was born, I began to see how bad (in our area) "family life" was for police officers - divorce, sexual misconduct, scandal, alcoholism.... Then one day a fellow officer stopped a vehicle full of mobsters, and in their possession was a file folder on me, including several photos of me. There was a prominent "cross hairs" ring around my head. That just made me more stubborn, and want to stay.

Then one night I came across a man passed out on the side of the road. I checked him out, and called for an ambulance. My shift supervisor arrived on the scene, saw the man, and told me "cancel the squad". He told me the guy was "just a drunk", and "needed locked up". I insisted there was something different, and I didn't think it was "just a drunk", but he got mad and cancelled the squad for me. Soon, the city doctor came by on his way home from hospital rounds, and he got out to check on the man. The man was in severe insulin shock and was near death. We called for the ambulance again, but it was too late.

Suddenly I found myself in one of the most horrible situations of my life. The shift officer and the paramedics conspired to alter the police and fire radio logs, to show that a call was made to the ambulance immediately, and to remove any evidence that there was any delay whatsoever. This included moving my "initial contact" to 15 minutes after it actually happened. I would either have to perjure myself in court, or testify against fellow officers. In either event, my law enforcement career was over.

Doors opened, and I began serving as youth pastor, college minister, pastor, corporate chaplain.... and now, pastor again. While I can't say that my police career was "God's will for my life", He nevertheless used it to equip me for what I'm doing today, including serving as Police Chaplain to our city and county law enforcement agencies and families.
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          What do you do now?
          Odds and ends around the house. Summers, bees and vegetable garden.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            I wouldn't consider being a mod on here a "career".
            I do spend a lot of time online. Got to cut back.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Honey.
              Does Mr. mossy know that you're flirting with someone young enough to... well, you know.
              This part here obviously used to keep from breaking the limitation on post length.

"Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                I'm kinda curious about your age ... because most folks my age would answer, "Which one?"
                age >= 15
                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                  age >= 15
                  So young
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                    So young
                    Snort

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Snort
                      Oink?

Comment

age >= 15
                        NOTE: This does not mean I am fifteen..
                        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

NOTE: This does not mean I am fifteen..
                          I did all my drinking at 21, because, well, ya know ...

Comment

I went to college. I never finished. I didn't have the necessary support to raise a daughter, complete nursing school or any school and work full time. Lord knows I tried. I had a couple of tech licenses that are expired, I was able to work as a call in supervisor for any rehab facility or assisted living facility within A 120 mile radius of where I previously lived. Now where I am I do have a pharmacy technicians license, but work with my physical issues hasn't been possible. So I get to be a stay at home mother for a bit for two lovely girls. I can't say that I don't enjoy the time with them. They are precious sweethearts.
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I feel into mine by happenstance. Wanted to do auto mechanics but the year before I graduated high school I realized that I should think more about making money... and college was being pushed. I thought electronics might be good, and I applied to both a tech school and to a regular college, for engineering. Got accepted to both, but went for EE. Figured if i washed out I could switch.

It was hard, but I managed. Unfortunately I graduated as the dot com bust happened. Took a few months to land my job. In a few weeks it'll have been 15 years since I started there (here). Not too shabby.
                              No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment