Unusual Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I see you tried to use google. Cheater. because that thread is wrong. There is a G in front!
    Urban Dictionary: gnurr
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gnurr

Top Definition. gnurr. An alternative to the word ' nurr'

So the G is the alternate spelling.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Urban Dictionary: gnurr
      www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gnurr

Top Definition. gnurr. An alternative to the word ' nurr'

So the G is the alternate spelling.
      sorry chump. But that is the "urban dictionary" where people just make up crap. A real dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gnurr doesn't allow for alternate spellings!

Hang the cheater!!!! Burn the witch!!!

Comment

sorry chump. But that is the "urban dictionary" where people just make up crap. A real dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gnurr doesn't allow for alternate spellings!

Hang the cheater!!!! Burn the witch!!!
        http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/gnurr

gnurr not found in the Dictionary
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Are you sure you are not hearing the transformer in florescent lighting?
          When I was a kid and playing our Atari 2600, sometimes after a game was over (or before starting a game) I would just sit and watch the silent demo which often involved the color palette gradually changing from dark to light and then suddenly back to dark again. It was when it would suddenly turn dark that I could "hear" the change as a sudden absence of a very faint buzzing.

Also when I was a kid, sometimes if I didn't know whether the TV was on in the next room because I couldn't hear any volume, I could tell that it was on anyway by hearing what at the time I thought was static but I realize now it was the light emitting from it.

You could be correct, though. I hadn't thought of the possibility of the fluorescent transformer found in those old CRT-based TV signals. But on the other hand, sometimes I hear the change even with incandescent lights.

And sudden darkness does have a sound. It's usually "eeeeek! what happened to the lights?"
          This is true, in many cases.

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          Do you have synesthesia?
          I hadn't heard of the term before, so I looked it up. After reading a bit, I figured out that I think I actually do have a form of it called chromesthesia, because I have perfect pitch and do tend to associate different key signature types with different colors -- sharps mean warm colors, flats mean cool colors. I didn't know until now that that had a name.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

TV's (the old school ones) have an electron gun and transformer in them, and they produce a high pitch (about 25khz) tone that will vary depending on the screen brightness. so if you have good hearing you can hear that buzzing. Also some TV's had a bleed-over problem where extremely bright objects would overload the audio circuits and cause a buzzing in the speakers when something like a video game was played on them.

now, if you can go outside and hear the sun shining, then you probably have synesthesia.

Comment

now, if you can go outside and hear the sun shining, then you probably have synesthesia.
              Or there's a bee buzzing in the vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                I'd have to have some useless trivia question asked first.
                I meant that I wanted you to prove that you always back your trivia answers up.

You can do it THIS time if I ask you a useless trivia question, but how do I know you have always backed your info up if you can't back up that you always back your useless trivia info up.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                  I can hear sudden changes in light intensity.
                  And you used to see pain as degrees of colour!

AND you have perfect pitch!!!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                    I can begin a set of a la seconde turns, perform an axle in the middle, and land right back into my a la secondes.

For reference:

a la seconde

axle
                    http://youtu.be/A0FXlfD6BHU?t=1m16s

I've also gotten to the point that my quintuple pirouette was not a one-off.

Still working on leg hold turns and illusions, although that's probably my fault for not practicing my splits every day.
                    Dancing isn't an unusual skill
                    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      I meant that I wanted you to prove that you always back your trivia answers up.

You can do it THIS time if I ask you a useless trivia question, but how do I know you have always backed your info up if you can't back up that you always back your useless trivia info up.

the-credible-hulk-600x410.jpg
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I can hear sudden changes in light intensity.
                        That is due to severe brain damage of excess PIN™ whackings.

Before I got older and my vision got crappy I could see objects in near pitch dark conditions. After warning someone not to walk into something they'd ask how I saw it and the only way that I could explain it was that it was a more "solid" darkness. Conversely I'm nearly blinded in real bright sunlight. I have to wear dark sunglasses or else completely close one eye and squint out the other.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue-y
                          That is due to severe brain damage of excess PIN™ whackings.
                          He hasn't been whacked anywhere near as much as you........

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            He hasn't been whacked anywhere near as much as you........

And I can no longer see in the dark

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Light sounds very soft and buzzy. Dark sounds like nothing.
                              Synthesia?
                              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

I can stick out my tongue and touch my nose.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment